(Topic ID: 52952)

Would you enter a $100 buy in Tournament for a pinball?

By Three60in

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Newsom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you enter a "High Stakes" tournament”

• Definetly, I may buy in a few times. 6 votes
      7%
    • Yeah, I will give it a shot. 17 votes
      21%
    • Maybe, If I like the game. 12 votes
      15%
    • Only If it was for a lesser amount. ($50) 11 votes
      14%
    • No! Way too rich for my blood. 35 votes
      43%

(81 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 10 years ago

Not to threadjack, but I've been kicking around a similar idea, and maybe it will give the OP some ideas.

My idea is to have a tournament at Pacific Pinball Museum with a $30 entry. The entry includes one play on each tourney game, and admission to the museum for two days. If you don't make the finals on day two, you can optionally take home a free pass and come some other day.

After your first entry, you can replay the games for $15.

After your second entry, you can replay the games once more for another $15. Therefore, your total tournament expense will not exceed $60.

The top novice prize would be a pinball machine - a mid-range EM, provided by the museum, sponsored prizes (like translites, t shirts, etc) and small amounts of cash for other novice entrants, maybe down to around 8th place.

The expert prizes would be cash. This way, everyone - novices and experts have a chance to win something.

#35 10 years ago

As Bowen said, the whole thing needs to be fun "for everyone" even those who go in thinking "I don't have a chance."

That's one of the main reasons I run my objective-based Pin Golf for Pin a Go Go. It's a fun, social format. Experts like it because they're forced to play familiar games in new ways. Beginners like it for the chance to meet others and because since the goal isn't score, they have a chance. At every single PAGG I get players telling me they met new people, and that was the highlight of the event for them.

Group play is more social than single player qualifying. Single player qualifying is in some ways, more "pure" and competitive, however. Suit your tournament to your intended audience.

With formats that can take a whole day, a potluck is not a bad idea. Stern sponsored one of my events with a lot of translites so we held a potluck contest and the winner got one. 15 dishes showed up (and a lot more women competitors, btw). This kind of side stuff is not derivative - it gets people who aren't purely players interested, too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-enter-a-100-buy-in-tournament-for-a-pinball-1?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.