05CD6731-E49A-46DC-ADE0-613E864F54AC (resized).jpeg
5EA6E6BA-49C8-47AB-B09D-93C31352087A (resized).jpeg
AD07B49A-D25A-468A-AA4A-135B50C8A171 (resized).jpeg
0233E69E-9A62-4510-9937-A7BDD3CA3C0F (resized).jpeg
AB47BC12-E97E-4859-8772-24C0648312AA (resized).jpeg
B0A2033E-8574-455E-A29A-77C3527E1438 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 months ago

**I posted pics of my Dracula and the Tales from the crypt I am looking at.**

I have a restored Stern Dracula that I want to move. I did the restoration my self. It has a restored backglass from BGRESTO. Works 100%. There’s a Tales From the Crypt I can trade toward plus $1300 from me. Tales works but seller has to see if the shaker is present. He knows it wasn’t shaking when played.

Would you do the trade? Appreciate any advice. I am on the fence.

CB36D5A1-A626-4F67-A34A-32EC753029BA (resized).jpeg05CD6731-E49A-46DC-ADE0-613E864F54AC (resized).jpeg2C3045A2-4BA4-475F-8EAB-A60160F78A5F (resized).jpeg7A904785-2387-4620-AC85-15F5EA3A078C (resized).jpegABCA2395-98AB-413E-9C2F-61737CCAD891 (resized).jpeg909316FB-082C-4B16-A5F1-5CEDC3664EB9 (resized).jpeg24366648-ADE1-4250-BE85-92671772B152 (resized).jpegF8BBA760-3510-4EFC-A038-17524C4937ED (resized).jpegAB47BC12-E97E-4859-8772-24C0648312AA (resized).jpegB0A2033E-8574-455E-A29A-77C3527E1438 (resized).jpeg0233E69E-9A62-4510-9937-A7BDD3CA3C0F (resized).jpeg5EA6E6BA-49C8-47AB-B09D-93C31352087A (resized).jpegAD07B49A-D25A-468A-AA4A-135B50C8A171 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 months ago

Oh hell ya. I had a tftc and its much funner than Dracula. But, I really like the show when it was on so I'm biased

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Oh hell ya. I had a tftc and its much funner than Dracula. But, I really like the show when it was on so I'm biased

Thank you!! Appreciate your feedback. Is the shaker worth it?

#5 4 months ago

I put shakers in every pin, never felt it was waste

#6 4 months ago

Never had an issue either, well, bad node board on maiden, but that wasn't shakers fault

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I put shakers in every pin, never felt it was waste

Seller said shaker is there but not working. What shaker did you get for it or did it come with the game? I also see there’s a board that controls the shaker also for $29.

#8 4 months ago

If you aren't sure it's probably best to sell your Dracula for what you believe it's worth and then buy a TFTC. I guess I don't really understand the whole trade thing unless you're friends with the person or know you can trust.

Edit: I don't want to be a dumbass that can't tell difference between your and you're.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

If you aren't sure it's probably best to sell your Dracula for what you believe it's worth and then buy a TFTC. I guess I don't really understand the whole trade thing unless your friends with the person or know you can trust.

Not friends with the person. He buys and sells pins in California. Just not sure the market is in demand for a Stern Dracula.

#10 4 months ago

I own both I'd do that trade Tales is a lot of fun.

#11 4 months ago

I'd do it if I were you. I sold a tftc awhile back, but one of the best pins I've played from any era. I'm a big fan of the show and theme, so I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a legitimately great pin either way.

Sorta miss it, but needed to clear some space at the time and get some arcade games. The one I had played fine, but was in pretty rough shape cosmetically. I hope to get a nicer one someday if used prices come back to sane levels eventually. At the current used prices not much incentive to go with that rather than nib.

#12 4 months ago

if you can bear to loose the Dracula after all you work, then go for it

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Seller said shaker is there but not working. What shaker did you get for it or did it come with the game? I also see there’s a board that controls the shaker also for $29.

Never looked to see maker

#14 4 months ago

I would do that trade in a second… if I was the one getting the Dacula.

I could only stand playing TFTC for about two years. Dracula is timeless!

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

if you can bear to loose the Dracula after all you work, then go for it

That’s the hard part but it comes down to fun I guess. The emotional attachment is definitely there. Appreciate your feedback.

Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

I'd do it if I were you. I sold a tftc awhile back, but one of the best pins I've played from any era. I'm a big fan of the show and theme, so I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a legitimately great pin either way.
Sorta miss it, but needed to clear some space at the time and get some arcade games. The one I had played fine, but was in pretty rough shape cosmetically. I hope to get a nicer one someday if used prices come back to sane levels eventually. At the current used prices not much incentive to go with that rather than nib.

Thanks for your help. The show was great and still is. My wife and kids love the theme and horror shows and movies.

#16 4 months ago

In a heartbeat.

#17 4 months ago

If it’s a beater Tales I don’t see why you’d make that trade. If it were nice and shopped out yeah but I doubt it is.

I would value a restored Dracula at $2500-3500 (for the right person of course).

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it’s a beater Tales I don’t see why you’d make that trade. If it were nice and shopped out yeah but I doubt it is.
I would value a restored Dracula at $2500-3500 (for the right person of course).

Look at the pics I posted of the Tales. It’s nit a beater Tales. It’s in my original post. Pics are after Dracula near the end.

#19 4 months ago

Appreciate everyone’s help.

#20 4 months ago

If the guy doesn’t know if the shaker is working or present then he sounds like he doesn’t know anything about pin ownership.
That would make me think twice about trading with a putz.

That TFTC probably has lots of little things wrong with it that a casual collector (who doesn’t even know if a shaker is present) wouldn’t notice or care about.

#21 4 months ago

TFTC is the best DE game IMO. Lots of fun modes, fun animations, callouts and lots of flashers!

Drac is not one of the best classic Sterns IMO. It's not even the best vampire themed pin (that would be BSD).

If you can live with trading all your hard work, and then likely having to do more work on the TFTC, then do it. I probably would.

#22 4 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

TFTC is the best DE game IMO. Lots of fun modes, fun animations, callouts and lots of flashers!

For me, it's not even in the top 5 "best DE games".

I'd say these are better...
Tommy
Guns and Roses
Rocky and Bullwinkle
LAH
Star Trek
Torpedo Alley

I like Stern Dracula a lot and it's still a fun game after playing it 15 years ago... TFTC? I actually dread that I will have to suffer through it when I'm playing it in a tournament. NOT because I'm bad at it, owned one for 2+ years.

I know a lot of people love TFTC but it's just not fun for me. I can list a bunch of reasons but they have all been explained before on RPG and Pinside by multiple people with good taste in pinball.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If the guy doesn’t know if the shaker is working or present then he sounds like he doesn’t know anything about pin ownership.
That would make me think twice about trading with a putz.
That TFTC probably has lots of little things wrong with it that a casual collector (who doesn’t even know if a shaker is present) wouldn’t notice or care about.

Fact

I've been burned on several trades because my trading partner almost never has the same standards that I do for what constitutes a "fully working game" or "issues." Generally it works out because I don't charge myself much for labor but in your 10th hour of sorting out issues you were lead to believe you wouldn't have to deal with you think about your trading partner effortlessly enjoying the machine you gave him that is absolutely 100 percent plug and play and get a little resentful.

I don't really do trades any more for that reason, with certain exceptions (people I trust and machines I know). The fact is, I know my game, and I don't know the trader's game, and that leaves you very vulnerable in a trade.

I don't really see what the OP has to gain in this trade. A restored classic Stern - even an ugly ass one like Dracula - has to be worth at least 2500 to somebody, though i would value it much higher, more like $3500-4000. Add $1300 cash into that (and who is making the trip?) and I don't see why that makes a trade for a Tales such a no-brainer.

I think most people here simply read this topic as "Would you trade a Stern Dracula for a Tales From the Crypt" and have a pavlovian reaction to it without really considering the potential deal from all angles.

And not for nothing Tales is frankly nothing special. It's "good for a DE" which isn't saying much, those games were always a distant second in every way to the Williams/Bally stuff.

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fact
I've been burned on several trades because my trading partner almost never has the same standards that I do for what constitutes a "fully working game" or "issues." Generally it works out because I don't charge myself much for labor but in your 10th hour of sorting out issues you were lead to believe you wouldn't have to deal with you think about your trading partner effortlessly enjoying the machine you gave him that is absolutely 100 percent plug and play and get a little resentful.
I don't really do trades any more for that reason, with certain exceptions (people I trust and machines I know). The fact is, I know my game, and I don't know the trader's game, and that leaves you very vulnerable in a trade.
I don't really see what the OP has to gain in this trade. A restored classic Stern - even an ugly ass one like Dracula - has to be worth at least 2500 to somebody, though i would value it much higher, more like $3500-4000. Add $1300 cash into that (and who is making the trip?) and I don't see why that makes a trade for a Tales such a no-brainer.
I think most people here simply read this topic as "Would you trade a Stern Dracula for a Tales From the Crypt" and have a pavlovian reaction to it without really considering the potential deal from all angles.
And not for nothing Tales is frankly nothing special. It's "good for a DE" which isn't saying much, those games were always a distant second in every way to the Williams/Bally stuff.

I really appreciate your post. You definitely made some great and valid points that I didn’t even consider. I am now really going to think about this now. This is why I posted here on pinside. Sometimes you need a different perspective that you can’t see for yourself. Much appreciated.

#25 4 months ago

Well seller says GI and flashers in the backbox don’t work. Wires disconnected from the backbox and also from the shaker. He said it doesn’t effect gameplay. I said true but if your charging top dollar it should work 100%. The lights were disconnected for a reason. Not worth the travel time of 15 hours plus round trip, $1300 cash, and my beautifully restored and 100% working Dracula. Plus Tales still only has incandescent bulbs in it.

#26 4 months ago

Absolutely not. you'll almost never find a Dracula restored like yours ever again. TFTC are usually readily available. And like Levi said, DE games are inferior in every way. I'm so glad I sold my last one. If you really don't want your Dracula anymore, I agree with selling it. And if you're really set on TFTC, use the proceeds to buy one from a collector who is familiar with the game inside and out, not a retailer who has an interest in moving whatever they have in stock.

#27 4 months ago

Just sell Dracula outright and then wait to buy another game. Deal sounds sketchy and I would usually be in favor of getting rid of Dracula for anything.
EDIT: TFTC is not a great one either

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

He said it doesn’t effect gameplay.

the mating call of the shyster.

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

lmao ain’t that the truth.

Always a big fan of “seems to be working fine”

#30 4 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Absolutely not. you'll almost never find a Dracula restored like yours ever again. TFTC are usually readily available. And like Levi said, DE games are inferior in every way. I'm so glad I sold my last one. If you really don't want your Dracula anymore, I agree with selling it. And if you're really set on TFTC, use the proceeds to buy one from a collector who is familiar with the game inside and out, not a retailer who has an interest in moving whatever they have in stock.

Agree 100%. Funny how flippant he was on the GI and flashers not working and the wires being disconnected.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just sell Dracula outright and then wait to buy another game. Deal sounds sketchy and I would usually be in favor of getting rid of Dracula for anything.
EDIT: TFTC is not a great one either

Definition of sketchy for sure.

Quoted from bigehrl:

HA! Most definitely.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

lmao ain’t that the truth.
Always a big fan of “seems to be working fine”

Guess 100% working has room for a margin of error.

#32 4 months ago

Stay away. I was going to suggest just having the seller look at settings to turn the shaker back on but I'd be willing to bet there are issues with the MPU or PPB... probably fried transistors, resistors and lots of crappy board work on the obverse.

#33 4 months ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Stay away. I was going to suggest just having the seller look at settings to turn the shaker back on but I'd be willing to bet there are issues with the MPU or PPB... probably fried transistors, resistors and lots of crappy board work on the obverse.

That’s what I was thinking. And the issue with the GI and flashers out in the backbox and disconnected is also a potential big problem. Hard pass.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside