(Topic ID: 169100)

Would you, could you enjoy Pinball if there was no scoring?

By OLDPINGUY

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SpinalTap_11 (resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

I don't play pinball competitively, so I don't have an appreciation for high scoring as some of the pin zealots here. I'm happy to just explore a pin's depth and entertainment capabilities and see what I can make it do. But this thread got me thinking and here's my 2 cents on scoring...

I hope some day a more sophisticated scoring system is developed in a pin where your score simply isn't cumulative. Why can't we have pins coded to reduce your score when you fail a completion shot, or something along the lines of a punishment system where points are taken away from you when your flailing?

Imagine the possibility of tactically defending against a finished game where your awarded a final score actually on the negative side because you had such an awful game. ...and when this happens your awarded a pity (extra) ball so you could last chance redeem yourself and end up finishing with a decent score after earning a few extra balls and reaching your personal supreme chancellor best!

I know. Pinball has always been played a certain way. But someday, some brilliant someone, should step outside convention and revolutionize the status quo and code pinball scoring with a little innovation and perhaps move it forward into something, ...more.

Imagine the ups and downs playing with your buddies on location in a 4 player game. I just think it would be crazy fun.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

This is a key consideration. Scoring is a key component of how games are designed - especially those that don't have a story to work through. I believe that a game that is designed with scoring as a minor or non-existent consideration would look quite different than what is being produced today.

That's why I can't get excited about modern Sterns - they're designed more for competition than for casual play.

#53 7 years ago

I would enjoy pinball without scoring as long as I received a participation award...

#54 7 years ago

Would dating be any fun if there was no scoring?

#55 7 years ago

Scoring is a big part of pinball for me

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from superJackpot:

When I played TZ back in the day, I was clearly trying to complete the modes, finish the door and get to the wizard LITZ. Once I did that, and did it often, (even multiple times per game) it became about what score I had after completing LITZ. How well did I score in the modes...did I get 8M for Hit Cousin It or 20M? 12M for Mamuska or 22M? Did I just go through the motions and get 600M after completing LITZ or was I playing better, on my game and ending up with around 1B per LITZ?

You have a TZ with a Cousin It and a Mamuska mode???

#58 7 years ago

Interesting question, but it's probably a lot like PacMan. I'll sometimes play for score and sometimes play to progress as far as possible. I do really appreciate games that track other achievements: total loops in BSD, fish caught in FT, etc. Is there a master list of these other achievements anywhere? If not, I'll start a topic and as they are mentioned I'll update the original post. Since the current market seems to be driven by home users it would also be interesting to have a home mode where users enter their initials first, these could even be saved into the machine as users, then the machine could track and reward multigame achievements. Basically like the reward systems on current home video game consoles.

#59 7 years ago

All depends on the machine, if the machine has progression then I tend to focus on that, if it doesn't have much for progression than I focus on score.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

That's why I can't get excited about modern Sterns - they're designed more for competition than for casual play.

I have to strongly disagree with you on this. I'm not a tournament player at all, but I enjoy numerous modern Sterns for casual play. Deeper rule sets, such as on TWD and MET for example, are great fun to try and progress thru. Setting a high score is like frosting on the cake for me when I finally complete a particular mode.

I'm betting that I'm not the exception either.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Could you enjoy Pinball if there was no scoring?

Would you ask girls out on dates if there was no scoring?

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Would you ask girls out on dates if there was no scoring?

Im married, and with the same woman for 46 years....What the Hell would I know about dating, let alone "Scoring"!!!

Scoring with ones wife isnt possible, after this amount of time!!

Makes me think of this:

#63 7 years ago

I would not enjoy them on a boat.

I would not enjoy them in a moat.

Even With Snozberries I'd find it a bore.

Pinball is stupid without a score.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would not enjoy them on a boat.
    I would not enjoy them in a moat.
    Even With Snozberries I'd find it a bore.
    Pinball is stupid without a score.

There you are!

Appreciate the Seuss!

I figured youd say that, which helps me understand your other Posts!

Score Score Score......anything impeding that, and youre not happy?

Right?

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-could-you-enjoy-pinball-if-there-was-no-scoring/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.