(Topic ID: 28794)

Would you consider a game if it had great gameplay but you HATED the theme?

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    aaron_rodgers_belt_cele.jpg
    Mark-of-Raul.jpg
    Mark-of-Raul.jpg
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I really liked STTNG but would never own the machine because I hated the show. (Please put down the torches and pitchforks its just my opinion.) Same thing with DR. Who. Or the Rolling Stones and Austin Powers. It is kind of foolish since there are some games that I really liked how they played but I could not stand the theme. I would have a REALLY hard time putting down some cold hard earned cash for a STTNG because I would hate looking at it. I wish that I had never put quarters into the damn game. So with that being said, would any of you buy a game that you loved/hated?

#2 11 years ago

No. It's the reason that I will probably never own a Fish Tales.

#3 11 years ago

Not quite loathe but high apathy for ACDC theme but love the game play and would buy one if I had both the $ and room for one. Wouldn't ever buy a Playboy because it would be too offensive to wife and not something I would bring into the house. Would buy JM, Tron, Congo, Royal Rumble and some others even though I don't like the themes, but like the game play. So I guess it depends on dull (to me) themes versus themes that don't fit my current values and family situation would be want decides but I undestand if you absolutely loathe the show STTN why the machine doesn't hold your interest. In case anyone thinks I'm a wuss for not wanting a Playboy, imagine if there was a Playgirl machine with naked guys and you're wife or girlfriend wanted that-yuck!

#4 11 years ago

It would have to be at a lower price. I also have no use for STTNG, just not one of the themes or games that I like. That's why I think original themes make better games. Better art or at least the opportunity for it and should cost less to make.

#5 11 years ago

Yep. Pinball is pinball. The theme isn't what makes the game for me.....I'm probably a minority here, though.....

#6 11 years ago

Nope, Theme decides if the game is fun or annoying. A blank table that plays well would be better than a theme that bugged me.

#7 11 years ago

I like WWF Royal Rumble but I don't care for the theme.

#8 11 years ago

Yeah. Spiderman.

#9 11 years ago

I loved owning WCS94, yet I'm extremely ambivalent when it comes to soccer. I suppose if I absolutely HATED the theme, it might make it more difficult to enjoy the game regardless of gameplay.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Yep. Pinball is pinball. The theme isn't what makes the game for me.....I'm probably a minority here, though.....

I totally agree. I own WH20 and FT and really don't care much for the themes. Still think they are both great with unique ramps and PF layout. Both themes are campy and put a smile on my face. Love when WH20 says, "Get the extra ball...YA WIENER!"

Since mcclad doesn't like STTNG, he probably answered his own question I consider it to be one of the top 3 pins of all time...everything about it is awesome. One exception...the borg ship is really ugly and needs a paint job.

#11 11 years ago

A machine with good gameplay can help you actually like a theme....or at least rent Congo.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

+1 If a game is fun and plays well I don't care. Playboy or nude theme might be the only exception. I'm normally to busy trying to not lose the ball to worry about what the back glass looks like. This has also kept good games like Shadow and LW3 available for people like me that don't want to spend a ton of cash on games. And how many times have you heard someone say I hate the game play but the theme is so good I had to keep it?

#13 11 years ago

No part of the fun is the theme.

#14 11 years ago

Too many great games out there to bother with a crappy theme.

#15 11 years ago

It mostly depends on available space. If I have room for one or more pins, I don't care what it is as long as I haven't played it at length and it's in good shape. I'll go ahead and buy it, play the snot out of it, and then decide if I should sell it or sell one of the other pins. I've found that in the pin world, the *only* person who can decide if a pin is fun and a keeper is the person playing it, regardless of the 'consensus opinion', and the only way to find out if a pin is fun is to spend some quality time with it.

I'm with Wesley. . .Playboy will never be considered. . .so, there is at least one theme that doesn't stand a chance in my lineup.

#16 11 years ago

I would definitely play the heck out of a game with a theme I didn't like provided the gameplay was good. I probably wouldn't buy it, though. Theme weighs pretty heavily for me and some games would stand out like a sore thumb in my lineup. It's hard for me to get excited about a game when the art and/or audio grates on me. For example, I love WCS and WH20... when they are in someone else's collection.

-Brian

#17 11 years ago

I haven't found an existing theme that I hate enough that it would trump gameplay.

#18 11 years ago

I was always a Star Wars fan but never got into the pins. Never desired to have any of them. To me I would need the whole package. Now if STTNG was never made from that show, and it was a SW machine, I would probably have owned one by now.

#19 11 years ago

There's a difference between not liking and actively disliking a theme. I'd consider the first but not the second.

#20 11 years ago

I would. I really didnt like Congo or TZ but both are pins i would have for sure in my collection.

That being said i have a ton of pins on my list that hit all categories for me so no rush to get the partial hits.

#21 11 years ago

What if AC/DC was exactly the same game but was Justin Bieber instead of AC/DC. Would you play it?

#22 11 years ago

No. That's why I pulled out of WOZ.

ACDC is a luke warm theme but the game is so fun that just because I wouldn't buy ACDC albums I may buy the pin!

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

What if AC/DC was exactly the same game but was Justin Bieber instead of AC/DC. Would you play it?

yes.... as long as his face wasnt the whole playfield ala ACDC pro.

ps. The Tie-D is my favorite too DarthXaos btw

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Nope. Any guy that has his name on a line of nail polish does not deserve to be on a pinball machine. I would not be able to get near the thing without spontaneously cumbusting with disgust.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

yes.... as long as his face wasnt the whole playfield ala ACDC pro.
    ps. The Tie-D is my favorite too DarthXaos btw

I agree. Awesome Tie photo.

#26 11 years ago

Theme is the icing on the cake, although maybe that's too strong of a reference, because cake without icing is basically just sweet bread. Anyway...The fact that I own Johnny Mnemonic should answer that question.

PS: What's with all the hate for fishing and Fish Tales? It's actually an original theme that's well integrated into the gameplay.

#27 11 years ago

Short answer: No.

#28 11 years ago

Nope.
    I owned a WoF and loved the game play but could never get into the the theme.
    Thought I would get over it but....well the WoF is gone now.
    Never again will I buy a pin with a theme I don't care for.
    Lesson learned.

Bill

#29 11 years ago

I can't imagine anyone actually liking the movie Johnny Mnemonic

#30 11 years ago

I liked the Shadow movie

#31 11 years ago

STTNG show hater dont think I ever made it trough a show - STTNG pin owner 3 years checking in.
    Tron - never seen the movie no plans to - own the pin.
    TZ - saw my first full show this year would not watch again - own the pin.
    DemoMan - never saw the movie dont plan on it- own it for the second time.

For me its game play over theme.

#32 11 years ago

I did this once with Elvis. Just didn't work out. The theme was just too horrible. I dislike some of my themes but the games are good. Such as shadow. And I'm not an acdc fan. But if you hate the theme, pass on it. I guess it's worse in Elvis since the music is constantly playing.

#33 11 years ago

Nope.

#34 11 years ago

Hate = No
    Ambivalent = Yes

#36 11 years ago

I think it would take a lot for me to HATE a theme. But absolutely I would never own a machine no matter how great it is if the theme sucks.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

I can't imagine anyone actually liking the movie Johnny Mnemonic

I'm with you but I like the pin

#38 11 years ago

STTNG is an awesome game.... but wow does that theme blow

#39 11 years ago

Hate geeky stuff like sci-fi, fantasy, and comic books but like the games. Sm, tron, im for example. I can get over it. If a pin has really bad audio, can't do it, that's a deal breaker for me. Ex sttng and ij4

#40 11 years ago

I actually wasn't a big soccer fan, but I love WCS, and now my son plays soccer. Weird!

#41 11 years ago

absolutely not....theme is always important in the whole package.

#42 11 years ago

Yes! Game play should always go above theme or hype.

#43 11 years ago

My answer is no. That's TFTC for me. Game is great - theme won't ever come to my house.

#44 11 years ago

If a theme is bad enough, I'll pass on it. About the only theme I can think of that didn't sound good initially, but ended up being a great idea is FishTales.

#45 11 years ago

I would have a hard time keeping the game and I pretty keep all that show up at my home one way or another. Probably would end up folded up in my warehouse. I personally would try not to buy it and FWIW I don't like that theme either. STTNG not in my collection although I have had opportunity to purchase.

#46 11 years ago

I would buy one if it was the right price, but it wouldn't be a keeper. I'd probably play it for a few months or so then trade/sell it.

#47 11 years ago

I dont think i could own a game with a theme i didnt like. I played a Flinstones on route last weekend, the artwork is terrible. The game play was ok but damn is it ugly, the repo artwork is cool though. Cant stand the artwork on WH20 either...

For me i dont have to actually like a theme to invite a pin into my home, but at the same time, i cant be completly turned off by it.

#49 11 years ago

Theme definitely comes into play, but not a deal breaker. Gameplay needs to stand on its own however.

#50 11 years ago

I hate Star Trek and there for will never have the pin. Same with Rolling Stones,& captain fantastic.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-consider-a-game-if-it-had-great-gameplay-but-you-hated-the-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.