(Topic ID: 188974)

Would you consider this 86' Grand Products Inc. Four Kings, a "Pinball" machine?

By Kerry_Richard

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lets
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

11 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9894 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9892 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9889 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9892 (1) (resized).JPG
    IMG_9888 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DSCN6102 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6110 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6097 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6096 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6100 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6084 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Hello Pinheads... is this a pinball game (a couple links and picts below)?

Long story short; I bought this game from an operator about 15 years ago. I did a little cleaning & paint touch up. I drove it from Bay Area (Northern Calif.) up to our home in Lake Tahoe. Going down our street there, I hit a pot hole and heard the 32" glass top break. I stored it in the back of my garage there, for 15 years.

Fast forward to today; we recently sold that property. So, I had to pull the game from garage. It's now at my home in the East Bay Area (Danville, CA).

I'm looking for any help on this value?

This is all the info I could find;

ebay.com link » Velocity Ball By Grand Original 1986 Novelty Arcade Game Machine Flyer Brochure

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=four-kings&page=detail&id=17299

DSCN6084 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6100 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6096 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6097 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6110 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6102 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #2 2 years ago

Old thread, but thats a pretty cool oddball item. A buddy recently came across a Grand Products Slick Shot game and researching it somehow led to your post. Is your four kings playable? Must be a pretty rare unit cant find any other info about it. What are your plans for the game?

#3 2 years ago

Dang, never seen one

#4 2 years ago

Flipper, ball, targets. Sounds like pinball to me.
    I vaguely remember these being closed out by the manufacturer for a couple of hundred bucks years back.
    I passed this post on to Jay at the IPDB. He is pretty strict on what gets to be called a pinball on his site. I'm sure you will be hearing from him. I'm betting he will agree on this one.
    How's the fun factor?

#5 2 years ago

Here's a link to an e-bay ad from this past March for the game manual if you need one. Looks like it did not sell.
    ebay.com link » Four Kings Grand Products Vintage Arcade Video Game Manual

#6 2 years ago

Wow... Thanks guys for chiming in!

I still have this game in my garage. It's just too good looking to let go. It powers up and the fan that blows the ball around perimeter works. The cards hanging on the track don't rotate and flipper bat won't flip.

About 15 years ago when I got it... everything worked. It's been stored since then.

I would consider selling it. I also thought about making a game room sign out out the dome playfield that is illuminated.

Thoughts?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Wow... Thanks guys for chiming in!
    I still have this game in my garage. It's just too good looking to let go. It powers up and the fan that blows the ball around perimeter works. The cards hanging on the track don't rotate and flipper bat won't flip.
    About 15 years ago when I got it... everything worked. It's been stored since then.
    I would consider selling it. I also thought about making a game room sign out out the dome playfield that is illuminated.
    Thoughts?

Hi,

Dennis Dodel told me about this thread. I had never seen this game before.

From what I decipher from the flyer and your pictures, it looks like the IPDB would classify it as a "bat game" rather than a "pin game". The ball is shot into play then the player hits it with the bat towards a series of targets (the manufacturer calls this bat the "ball striker", how unimaginative yet sufficient). That's just what a bat game does, wouldn't you say? Here though, you have the extra features of a bat that mechanically swivels from side to side along with the ability to reset targets (discard).

In fact, one of the two other games in that flyer has a baseball theme.

I would like to show your pictures on the IPDB, with your permission. If yes, may I then ask you for a pictures of your playfield with all of the targets reset and in view, as seen on the flyer? You indicated the cards "hang" on the track? Are these targets the fly-away type, not drop-targets? Maybe a close up of them will explain this pictorially, too, showing some reset and some knocked down. Actually, do I see a rotating belt of these targets disappearing into the playfield at each end, like a machine gun's bandolier? How does this work? What makes the belt rotate and when, if I am guessing correctly here?

Of course, I would be remiss if I did not also ask you for hi-res pictures of the inside the cabinet and under the playfield. Does your game show a copyright date anywhere that can be photographed?

Do you have a manual or schematic with your game?

Also, is the ball track that hugs the perimeter of the playfield actually elevated above the central playing field or is the artwork creating an optical illusion? Or, does this track meet the playfield evenly but may be actually slanted down on its outer edge where it meets the outside wall of the game? Do you know what I mean? Perhaps some close-ups taken near the bat might clear this up? The busy artwork is misleading me. If the ball is shot out from that "air power source" but is not hit by the bat and then circles all the way around the perimeter to the other end of the track, does it just roll back towards the bat along the perimeter track? If yes, I could see having a slightly slanted track to facilitate this so the ball just doesn't roll across the open playfield towards the bat. Unless, that is what really happens in that situation. But, if the track is slanted at all, does the player really get a clean aim at any targets, or does the ball go slightly airborne to clear the slant? How accurate is any aimed shot from the flipper?

I'm also looking at the flyer at the Thunder Drome game. On this game, I almost see a huge recessed playfield below a clear glass playfield where a toy motorcycle moves around the velodrome, mechanically attached to a central point. Well, maybe the recess is only for that game. I'll look forward to what you tell me about Four Kings.

I could not find any of the three games on youtube, hoping I could see any of them in action.

Thank you,

Jay
    IPDB

#8 2 years ago

I told you Jay was strict!

Note that on the instruction card they call the 'bat' a flipper.

#9 2 years ago

Here's the flyer Jay was speaking of.

pasted_image (resized).png

#10 2 years ago

I_P_D_B Thank You for your email.

That's a whole lot of questions. I'm not sure if I can answer them all.

I'm in Danville (40 miles East of San Francisco, Calif). Are you or anyone interested in seeing this game close by? I'm happy to have anyone come by and take any pictures they want, or for that matter, take the game home for a short while to figure it out.

Let me know.
    Thanks
    Kerry

#11 2 years ago

I_P_D_B... I forgot to add; You're welcome to share any picts I have of it, to anyone.

I'm a big pinball guy with a decent collection of pins; (32) from 88' Taxi to 2016/17, and about a dozen classic arcade games.

This game has me stumped.

1 month later
    #12 2 years ago

And now...It's mine. Should be fun to get it up and running, and play.

#13 2 years ago

Congrats Lets... enjoy your new game/toy.

Kerry

#14 2 years ago

Looks cool.

FYI, the patent (4598910, in 1986) on the flyer indicates the game(s) were invented by Ron Halliburton of Arcade Engineering (FL).
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US4598910.pdf

More info on him:

1968 - Allied Leisure Industries
    1979 - Arcade Engineering Inc
    1983 - Bally Midway
    1988 - Restauranter
    1993 - Benchmark Games (acquired by Elaut in April 2017)

He also did the rotating cocktail pinball - Rotation VIII, released 1978 by Midway. Looking at his other patents (skill games, redemption, etc) he has a thing for rotating platters/discs/elements in gameplay.

7 months later
    #15 1 year ago

I now have the Baseball version of this game. And, it works! Anyone ever find any more info or docs on it?

Thanks!

#16 1 year ago

Very cool to have a rare game like Grand Baseball... Picts would be great.

I sold my Four Kings for $250.

#17 1 year ago

Here are a few pics I have on my phone. It plays pretty good (it's hard!). I would love to find a manual for it...there are a bunch of DIP switches to change things but no idea what they do.

Wish you still had the other one, I would buy it!

IMG_9888 (resized).JPG

IMG_9892 (1) (resized).JPG

IMG_9889 (resized).JPG

IMG_9892 (resized).JPG

IMG_9894 (resized).JPG

#18 1 year ago

Very cool indeed! Thanks for the picts. For me it was just too big and I'm a huge pinball guy. So, I had to let it go

3 weeks later
    #19 1 year ago

And it's been sitting in my garage since I picked it up . One of these days I gotta get to it.

11 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 230.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside