Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
27 (resized).JPG
E2BA3F1A-F9FB-451A-A4E3-557DDA2C095E (resized).jpeg
C2180401-BA3E-49E3-9384-8F427A365A9A (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hello Pinsiders,

I’m trying to preserve the PF for this 1974 EM Williams Skylab that sat in the previous owners garage for 24 years untouched.

I’ve read a lot of threads on clear coating a PF. My concern with this one is, do you think clear coating will work or do you think it might actually remove or displace a lot of the paint in the process (see pics)?

If clear coating is recommended, do you have a specific brand you use?

I’m not planning on doing any touch up, I don’t mind this pin showing it’s age. I just want to prevent any further decay.

FYI Theres some wax deposited in the grooves of the PF in the zoomed out photo.

Thanks!

C2180401-BA3E-49E3-9384-8F427A365A9A (resized).jpegC2180401-BA3E-49E3-9384-8F427A365A9A (resized).jpegE2BA3F1A-F9FB-451A-A4E3-557DDA2C095E (resized).jpegE2BA3F1A-F9FB-451A-A4E3-557DDA2C095E (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Clean & wax, new balls, replace rubber. Home use won't put enough plays on it to make a difference.

Oh, & align those flippers

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Clean & wax, new balls, replace rubber. Home use won't put enough plays on it to make a difference.

Oh, & align those flippers

I wouldn't clear coat it unless it was one of my favorite games and wanted it to look nice.

Quoted from Pintor:

I’m not planning on doing any touch up, I don’t mind this pin showing it’s age. I just want to prevent any further decay.

Do what dasvis suggested or go 'whole hog'. I would never recommend that a playfield be clear-coated without all of the following done because you would be 'locking-in' the dirt and planking:

It would need to have all parts removed from the upper playfield, Magic Eraser used to remove the crud in the pre-planking and touch-ups to fill in the planking *before* clear-coating. It would take me 2-3 weeks to do and requires some experience to get it right - and I am still not very good at it. It might be a good summer project for you if you want to learn how to do those tasks, but give yourself at least four weeks to finish if you want to take on this challenge.

Check out this article if you want to see what I did to clear a Williams game from that era:

http://www.pecospinball.com/my_first_full_pinball_restore.shtml

#4 5 years ago

If it was mine I would either leave it as it is , or use Clear coat and use createx paints to restore it. Subsequent layers of clear would level the play field and remove the planking.
If you just cleared it without touching up it would not look ok.
Judging by the photos it would not be so hard and you will be thrilled with the end result

#5 5 years ago

I wouldn’t. (And I restore/clear coat many playfields of all eras) I’d clean and wax and enjoy.

#6 5 years ago

dasvis Pecos phototamer MrArt2u Thanks guys, I decided to go with your advice. Finished the cleaning, waxing, new rubbers and just rebuilt the flippers and got them aligned. Also threw in a new ball.

It’s funny cause the 2 bottom metal rails below the flippers aren’t lined up symmetrically, I don’t see any additional holes so I think it was manufactured that way intentionally. Have you noticed that in other EM pins?

Keeping my fingers crossed that fixing the broken switches in the score reels will bring this pin back to life. Thanks again for the help!

#7 5 years ago

I beg to differ man, that pf would have so much more depth to the black spacey areas cleared! Check out this FP pf I did a while ago...

27 (resized).JPG27 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I beg to differ man, that pf would have so much more depth to the black spacey areas cleared! Check out this FP pf I did a while ago...

That’s awesome!

#9 5 years ago

What wax are you guys using on EMs these days? I am looking to clean and wax a Space Mission playfield.
It's not great, but not worth the time to touch up and clear.

#10 5 years ago

I’m using Mothers California Gold Wax Paste on my EMs and early SS pins. It comes in a 12 ounce tin for about $20. I got mine at Pep Boys. It seems to be a good combination of price and quality. Carnauba wax gets the most recommendations from Pinsiders. Whether you go with Mother’s or another brand, make sure that it doesn’t contain any cleaners!

#11 5 years ago

Dudes if you've ever used floor wax then you will appreciate one grand blitz wax except for the fact that's its actually good for a pf being mostly 50/50 carnuba & beeswax. You can multi layer it and its virtually no residue and dries crystal clear.
index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-clear-coat-this-pf- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.