Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by iwantansi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I stopped at a vendor yesterday to look around at machines they had on display. Got to talking to one of the employees and they showed me their nib stock.
    I noticed some of the Walking Dead serial numbers were like 4000 digits away from GOT.
    While I realize you can simply update the code, I was curious if that would bother you if a NIB machine that might have been made in 2014 arrived at your home?

#2 8 years ago

EDITED TO NOT BE A DCK

I need to ask this first before I cast an opinion especially the opinion I cast.

What are you going to do with this machine? Are you buying and flipping it? or Buying and keeping for 5 years? What are you afraid happened while the game was on the floor and in the box?

#3 8 years ago

To me a NIB is just that. As long as it has never been opened, you wanted it, the price is right, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Battery leakage won't be a problem with that pin anyway.

#4 8 years ago

Depends whether there were any fixes to newer NIB due to known problems with earlier NIB such as light board issues.

#5 8 years ago

When I picked up my NIB Mustang directly from the Stern factory it had been sitting in the box in storage for a few months.
    So.....
    No, I did not care.

#6 8 years ago

No

My advice: If it's really important, ask before you buy. If you don't get the answer you want, move to the next distributor.

#7 8 years ago

As long as it's played before the expiration date, all should be well.

Answer to query: Nope, not a single little bit.

#8 8 years ago

I am not sure why it would matter, it's not going to spoil.

#9 8 years ago

As long as it is stored in a temperature controlled environment, not a problem for me. Planking can occur if there are wide temperature swings and you won't see it until you open the box.

#10 8 years ago

I'd want to know. Some games have changes made over time. Think about the difference between getting a first run LOTR and a last run. Another would be WOZ where an early one could have playfield and board problems that have since been corrected.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Depends whether there were any fixes to newer NIB due to known problems with earlier NIB such as light board issues.

This is definatly one good reason. I'm going through a similar situation right now. St pro and twd are being made hopefully as we speak. I've had the money since the beginning of dec to buy. Problem is my distributor dosnt have any. Several distributors do and the prices are good, but I decided to wait it out for the new run for the reason above and the fact I wanna try and keep my purchase local. It's been tough wait since I've seen both machines pop up for sale nib, and slightly used. Besides any bugs being worked out on the newer models, I feel that with the later build dates if it turns out I don't like the machines it'll be more believable that they have low plays than trying to get rid of a machine from 2014 and trying to explain how it only has a hundred plays. Not sure how valid these reasons are especially when I wake up every morning knowing I can have these machines right now and I dont. But after this long I feel I gotta just wait it out.

#12 8 years ago

I'm sure you'd be pissed to get an attack from Mars nib from 1995 or whatever

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

I'm sure you'd be pissed to get an attack from Mars nib from 1995 or whatever

I think we are talking nib that are still being made. Not sure getting an afm nib would piss anybody off.

#14 8 years ago

Only if there were known, unfixable, issues like the cloudy window in AC/DC.

#15 8 years ago

It may actually be better to get the older NIB game for 1 simple reason -> the playfield clear coat would have had more time to cure/harden.

#16 8 years ago

wasn't TWD one that changed fomr SAM to Spike at some point?

I personally want to most recnet off the line when given the choice. Reality is that over time things get refined on the production line. Also, reality is that the more time a game is sitting around the more opportuntity for things to happen... Did it experience big temp/humidity swings? How many times has the box been moved/dropped? Crap happens. More time = more possible crap.

For a game currently being produced, I woudl try and get one mnore recently built unless there was a specific reason you want the older style (i.e. IM with real wood head and ability to change lights vs crapy metal head and light boards.)

#17 8 years ago

I noticed when playing a newer run Walking Dead that the artwork around the drop target and well walker areas were slightly different. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I'm pretty sure they were, so perhaps a few other minor adjustments happened to the new runs as well. Personally I'd go for a new run TWD if I were buying it NIB.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wasn't TWD one that changed fomr SAM to Spike at some point?

Pretty sure it started on SAM and is still SAM.

OP - Wouldn't bother me one bit if I'm buying from a distributor. I believe the warranty starts when you buy the game anyways. Buying an old NIB would only concern me if bought from a private party as you can not guarantee it was stored properly.

#19 8 years ago

Bought a NIB TWD from GEX on Dec 2015. Date on machine is from Dec 2014. No issues at all. No regrets.

#20 8 years ago

Yes if there are changes that I want. I got a NIB Met Pro and wanted the later run with LEDs. My guy was able to accommodate my request. Otherwise, probably not.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from WIKED:

To me a NIB is just that. As long as it has never been opened, you wanted it, the price is right, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Battery leakage won't be a problem with that pin anyway.

I feel the same way. I woild not be bothered by it. People seek out nib BBB, Cactus Canyon, MM, etc., all the time. If found those eould be decades old. This is a good thing lol!

#22 8 years ago

When I received my nib walking dead prem 2 months ago its born on date was actually dec of 2014 lol. Still nib tho so I dont think it really matters and it had all the known fixes Iinstalled all ready .

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Pretty sure it started on SAM and is still SAM.
    OP - Wouldn't bother me one bit if I'm buying from a distributor. I believe the warranty starts when you buy the game anyways. Buying an old NIB would only concern me if bought from a private party as you can not guarantee it was stored properly.

Just worked on a Premium last night... it had the Spike light boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-care-if-the-nib-machine-you-got-was-x-months-old and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.