20160525_221519_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_203123_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_203115_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_202546_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_202529_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_202523_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_202518_resized_(resized).jpg
20160525_202512_resized_(resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

I would not pay anything close to $2200.00 for that Centaur. Even though "Prices are slightly higher West of the Rocky Mountains"; I wouldn't pay that much for one with a good BG. But that's just me.

#52 7 years ago

It's easy to say the game will end up costing too much, be a lot of work, missing stuff Etc, but it's not like you can just go to the store down the road and get a different one. This is not an easy 35 year old game to find, especially within close driving distance of where you live and not wasting $400 for a shipper to smash it. If you want it, don't haggle in an email - show up in a truck with the amount of cash you're comfortable spending on it and focus on just the centaur and see what you can do. As the others have said, no need to take on 2 games at the same time if you don't like #2.

Not trying to sway you either way in your decision, just want to put things into perspective if you really want a centaur.

#53 7 years ago

Here's a question for you. Do you have to restore them or are you willing to replace the necessary parts and play them as is? My Centaur is rough and I play the hell out of it. I am on the list for a CPR playfield and I have a good original glass. I play it currently with a crap glass, rough pf, rough cab...and I have a blast playing it. Are you planning to play them? I wouldn't sell my Centaur for 2,200. Just saying

#54 7 years ago

I also would not pay $2200 for that game.

#55 7 years ago

If you're contemplating buying this for $2,200 then I would suggest spending $3,000 - $4,000 and get one that's in really nice shape. All the work will be done and you'll simply get to enjoy it. Tough call though as these are getting harder and harder to find. That's why the price is where it's at for Centaur. Same goes for Fathom. Simply two of Bally's best and most collectable from the early 80s.

If you do decide to buy it and want a nice original playfield, let me know. I found an NOS playfield last year and will be selling the original playfield after doing a swap. May not be until this winter though.

#57 7 years ago

As I already said no to Centaur, also No to Embryon.

#58 7 years ago

OP, did you pass on the deal or make a counter offer?

#59 7 years ago

Apparently, the Centaur and Embryon were purchased because they are now back on CL for $2500 and $1500.

losangeles.craigslist.org link

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Apparently, the Centaur and Embryon were purchased because they are now back on CL for $2500 and $1500.

I hope not....OP said they didn't want to flip.

Quoted from miguelortega:

I don't wanna flip them. I love the artwork on both games. I wanna keep them both. Only worry : what it will end up costing + man hours.
From early calculations what i see wrong is $700 worth of parts from marcos just for the centaur. That puts it at $2900 + or - assuming no surprises. That is still with an ugly cabinet and older playfield.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

same seller, he just decided to split them up.

#62 7 years ago

Centaur now has a backglass

#63 7 years ago

i bailed on them both. i would never flip them. They really were a mess. I also dont have the time or the experience to do the restorations myself. I would have gone crazy and had them professionally restored and spent $7,000 on each.

I did the calculations, it was $2200 to buy, $800 for parts from plastics to backglass etc. we're at $3000.
A new playfield $1000 +or - (since they are sold out). Installing a new playfield $1000, re-stenciling it $1000+. For $6,000 I can just buy it in mint condition. And not spend an hour doing the work. Im too busy working on my film or else it might be fun.

I rather just buy them in better condition.
I like my pins to look like the stuff pinballwzd sells.

go get em boys!

PS the backglass was always included but if you even touch it it will crumble. Paint is hanging on a prayer.

#64 7 years ago

Good decision.

#65 7 years ago

Not always an easy decision to make when you really do like the games.....you have more restraint than others. Now the hunt begins for mint versions.

Nothing like the seller jacking up the prices after he wasn't able to sell at a lower price.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Not always an easy decision to make when you really do like the games.....you have more restraint than others. Now the hunt begins for mint versions.
Nothing like the seller jacking up the prices after he wasn't able to sell at a lower price.

yes thats odd. I told him it was already overpriced.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from miguelortega:

yes thats odd. I told him it was already overpriced.

Yeah, but now someone can come and really "beat him up" the price and think they are getting a great deal. Used car dealers do that all the time.

#68 7 years ago

just in case anyone is interested i went there in person. I saw them myself.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Must have read this thread for price advice lol

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Makes me sick to be honest, this pinflation thing sucks and this totally shocked me to be honest. At least the playfield is nice.

Quoted from Otaku:

Sadly I think this is what is continually increasing the prices, too, is this "okay" sense. Can't wait 'till we hit that dead spot where people get greedy and charge too much and finally even the wealthy/crazies won't pay it and the prices start coming back. Matter of time I suppose.

The 17-year-old kid longs for the "good ol' days". At this pace, you'll likely burn out before the prices come down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-this-centaur-for-2200/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.