(Topic ID: 45858)

Would you buy more NIB pins if Prices were back to normal? (KEEP)

By CaptainNeo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy more NIB games per year, if prices were back to the $4300-4500 price level? (all manufacturers)”

• Yes- If you could get "full" versions of the game for the normal (with 4% inflation) $4300-4500, I would buy 2+ games per year. 117 votes
      67%
    • I would buy only one NIB per year regardless of price. 23 votes
      13%
    • Not at all, I wouldn't buy NIB from anyone no matter if the price was 3k or 7k 10 votes
      6%
    • NIB is for suckers and newbs. 25 votes
      14%

(175 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

internettoughguy.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    ronburgundy.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    obvious.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Profit is the key unknown here. For argument's sake, let's say at a $4300 price point, Stern would make $1000.00 pure profit on a machine. If they sold two to someone, they make $2000.00. If they sell that same machine for $6000.00, they make $2700.00. Selling one machine makes them more profit than selling two.
    If they only make $500.00 pure proft at the 4300 price point, then it is $1000.00 profit from selling two machines vs $2200.00 from selling one.
    Moving more volume at a reduced price does not necessarily mean making more profit. Depending on profit per machine, they might need to sell triple the volume just to break even.
    SkitB and the boutique manufacturers are a whole different ballgame. Their overhead is *way* less than Sterns. They don't have big factories to pay for along with all the utilities, don't have the same staffing costs (in some cases probably no staffing costs), don't have third party investors clamoring for profit, etc.

You are ignoring quantity buying. Parts would drastically reduce in price for stern thus having a positive affect on profitability. Not to mention they would have more games out there and a better hold on the market than they do now. They are slipping.......

They were in a great position with market share, you would think that rather than linning thier pockets with fast cash they would have shut the door to any competition

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My suggestion:
    Cut all the versions down to one, around the premium level, get the price as low as you can reasonably get it and still make a nice profit without overly compromising quality. Also, lose the license themes and that will save a few bucks per unit. Stop trying to wring every last red cent out of the hobby in a short of time possible.
    If they keep this pricing model up, eventually most folks will be tapped out and burnt out and this whole things falls like a house of cards.

Its very hard to move completely away from the liscensed themes. There is a reason that B/W and other manufacturers didn't. It provides immediate recognition for the public who would normally care less about pinball machines. Liscenses are attractive to everyone and not just pin heads, however I do feel a 50/50 mix would be much more appropriate. Or here is a crazy idea, Stern approach B/W and consider keeping their LE line and redo some of the huge titles, MM, TZ, MB etc. to keep the high end collectors happy and their profit margins huge.

#76 11 years ago

Any decent manufacturing company should operate at 40% plus margin. I would assume they are in that range. Distributors operate around 25%, but maybe that is just the industrial automation/electrical industries that I am used to dealing with.

#80 11 years ago

I agree, lay off neo. I think its a valid discussion to have. I think everyone is sick of the different versions Stern is producing coupled with the price increases. There are 1000 ways to skin a cat, they chose one of them and their customers would perfer the other 999.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Disagree. First "everyone is sick of..." is wrong. I'm not. I like having a couple LE options as well as a premium. I don't care about a pro but some probably need something in that price range so it fits the need. The only people chapped about the multiple skews are the have-nots that can only afford the pro and wish they had the LE.
    Otherwise, this thread is borked by the title. If it said "how many LEs a year would you buy for $4500" then ok. But instead it says "if nib prices were back to normal". This is a totally loaded statement and just another way for a cheap skate price complainer to start yet another tired price thread. Maybe if people tried to spend half the time they spend crying about prices actually trying to make some money.... Go back to college, look for a career change, etc. If I can go from working at McDonalds to being able to afford 40 pins in 3 years on my own than any of you can.

I can afford to purchase every LE that comes out so that is not the issue. I don't believe Stern produces a quality product for that price range. I have no problem with JJP pricing, higher quality by far. If Stern could produce something that was worthy of their asking price, I would be all over it.

Just because I can afford to purchase an item does not mean I find a value in that item.

I often find those that mention the amount of money they have/make are often not nearly as well off as they try to impress upon people. Please don't tell me to back to college, I have two Masters. I most likely have years upon years of education that you do not.

Congrats on your 40 pin collection we are all very impressed. Purchase a few more and you will catch up. Your attitude sucks. Its nice to see your "movin on up", you have come so far from that fast food career, now get over yourself. Act like someone who deserves to be in a position that is better than most. I don't believe in measuring dicks, comparing check books or flashing money around, maybe you do. There are plenty of people on this site who come from all different backgrounds, please don't act like your the top of the food chain. New money is always so easy to spot.

#122 11 years ago

It obviously annoys me when people get on thier high horse about money. It's pathetic.

#131 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I've not mentioned how much money I make nor have I said I'm even well off. I can afford the things I want because I work to put myself into such a situation as anyone can do. All I said was quit bitching about prices. I'm definitely convinced anyone complaining about the prices can't afford the products and wants them. We all know the prices. It's tiring to read thread after thread on the next "have not" talking about pinflation. As for those that can't afford the hobby and wish they can, do something about it. That's all I'm saying. And I think that's a great attitude. Much better than "boohoo evil greedy Stern keeps pricing me out of the hobby". If anyone misread my post as me saying I make more money and am smarter than you, then that's wrong and not what I was trying to say at all - except Greg. I'm probably smarter than him.

Your right you did not mention an exact amount, however you go on to say that you make more than enough to build your collection to over 40 games in three years blah blah blah, and you stated this with an elitist attitude. You specifically quoted me and continued to state that people should stop complaining about what pin prices have become. You stated that the reason we complain is because we can't afford them so either shut up or go back to school/change careers so that we can.

You must understand that just because people complain about something does not necessarily mean that it correlates to a price tag. In my case, I am not complaining about the price tag. My complaints continue to be about the quality of Stern for the price.

When they were doing only one version, I feel the quality was better, now everything is rushed, unfinished and needs tweaking right out of the box. Don't get me wrong there has never been a company that produced the perfect unit right out of the box, but it seems like Stern is letting that get away from them and rather quick. Try finishing the code, ensuring the playfield is put together in a manner that I don't have to tighten things down when I receive the game, and for god's sake why not try and get creative and produce a theme that they don't license.

I don't complain about prices of pins, it really doesn't make a difference to me because I have built an inventory and so I sell pins and buy pins. I sell pins for much more than I think they are worth and I feel I overpay for machines as they come in. To me, its a wash.

All in all, if you want to make remarks about pinsiders and give your opinion of why they can or can not do something, try not directing it at an individual. The results will never be useful to the site or to your ego.

#136 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

1. How can you "Read" an attitude on a forum? I sure can't. You can detect attitude, but not sarcasm. Interesting.
    2. How is JJP 's quality so much better for the price? I didn't realize these were shipped out and in collector's homes for a long enough period to determine durability. My bad
    So many people on this forum speculate about items not yet released, people and prices.

1. Its not very hard to discern an elitist attitude from what was written.

2. Durabilty is definately part of quality, but the materials alone are better in my opinion than the stern stuff. Again just my opinion and take of WOZ.

#143 11 years ago

I am the same individual in person as online. I have never said I am going to kick someones ass or threaten them. I just prefer to call things as I see them and for those who have worked with me know that is the case. As for the 5.5% the distributors make, that is sad. You can't even borrow money with a business line and make money. I run a company with almost zero debt but we have been in business for 50 years. I don't know how some of these distributors make it on 5.5, you couldn't get me to move something around my warehouse for that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-more-nib-pins-if-prices-were-back-to-normal-5?tu=inhomearcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.