(Topic ID: 45858)

Would you buy more NIB pins if Prices were back to normal? (KEEP)

By CaptainNeo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy more NIB games per year, if prices were back to the $4300-4500 price level? (all manufacturers)”

• Yes- If you could get "full" versions of the game for the normal (with 4% inflation) $4300-4500, I would buy 2+ games per year. 117 votes
      67%
    • I would buy only one NIB per year regardless of price. 23 votes
      13%
    • Not at all, I wouldn't buy NIB from anyone no matter if the price was 3k or 7k 10 votes
      6%
    • NIB is for suckers and newbs. 25 votes
      14%

(175 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

internettoughguy.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    ronburgundy.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    obvious.JPG
    There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Curious to see if these higher prices are kinda of hurting sterns and JJP and others from selling more product or not. Purpose of this, is to see if the price was back to normal, if people would just buy more of them. Where prices are, someone buys one NIB for $6500. If prices were at $4300 where they should be, but would be 2 or 3 of them. (total $8600 or 12900), are manufacturers missing out on moving more product and essentially more profit by moving more volume?

Curious on where everyone stands on this.

#2 11 years ago

Dude seriously... Stop posting this.

#3 11 years ago

wtf happened here? Something screwy is going on with my browser for some reason. Only wanted to post it once. Kept saying it didn't post and crashed. Apparently it was working.

#4 11 years ago

Spam!

#5 11 years ago

It's happened to me. You think the first one didn't go through so you try again, and again...then they ALL show up!

#6 11 years ago

I voted on all of your posts differently because I have a multiple-personality disorder...

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It's happened to me. You think the first one didn't go through so you try again, and again...then they ALL show up!

Must be the Poll thing. first time i've tried to add a poll and must be the way the browser tries to handle it. If a Admin could delete all the extras, that would be great.

#8 11 years ago

Hah!...How to pick which one to keep...

#9 11 years ago

pick the one with the most votes. Voting to keep the voting.

#10 11 years ago

If they stopped sending out comic book character pins and other over the hill themes, I would buy more

More Tron's and ACDC's

Down with future released games Metallica and WoZ

#11 11 years ago

KEEP THIS ONE

#12 11 years ago

Neo - you may want to put "KEEP" in the title of this one. (or something to that effect)

#13 11 years ago

Would someone please do a poll to see if we need MORE POLLS???

#14 11 years ago

Here's my response from one of the others....looks like this one will win out:

I have never considered NIB just because of price and not knowing exactly if I would like the pin or not, but in the $4300-4500 range for full version of the game, I would at least consider it for the right title, theme or design. Where it's at now, I just can't justify it. My 7 game varied collection of titles cost me way less than a WOZLE and NIB Stern combined.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Neo - you may want to put "KEEP" in the title of this one. (or something to that effect)

Yes!...

#16 11 years ago

If the NIB prices were lower, that would probably reflect lower prices for used machines. I would buy more used machines at the lower prices instead of NIB.

#17 11 years ago

It didn't SEEM to be a slow rise in prices. They were NIB $3,500 and now $6,500.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It didn't SEEM to be a slow rise in prices. They were NIB $3,500 and now $6,500.

You can thank JJP for that.
    Once WOZ was announced Stern figured, what the hell... if Jack can ask those prices, so can I. Here's an LE for ya!

On the bright side, it has also opened up the market for smaller boutique producers like JPOP and SKITB. I don't think that, without this new benchmark pricing, smaller companies could make mini runs and still be viable.

#19 11 years ago

Ok, Keep THIS Thread and delete all the repeats please.

#20 11 years ago

This is THE thread to be!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Once WOZ was announced Stern figured, what the hell... if Jack can ask those prices, so can I. Here's an LE for ya!
    On the bright side, it has also opened up the market for smaller boutique producers like JPOP and SKITB. I don't think that, without this new benchmark pricing, smaller companies could make mini runs and still be viable.

This is exactly right. That's why we saw almost a 100% increase almost overnight in NIB prices. But this isn't about why prices are high. It's about, would you buy more if prices went back to normal.

#22 11 years ago

The answer probably would be yes because at that price they would seem like a bargain...

#23 11 years ago

only seem like a bargain for the newer guys. Those of us that were here before the JJP price announcement, would just feel like things are going back to normal. Everything else would follow suit.

#24 11 years ago

If the themes and designs were right for me, I'd buy NIB almost regardless of the price.
    I think it is more the recent let-downs from Stern and even JJP that sour me... more than price.

I am choosing to support lower cost projects like SkitB's predator based on their business model and end user focus, as well as higher-end games like Zombie Adventureland due to their willingness to develop an unlicensed theme.

I can see where price would play into the decision to buy, but for me there are a lot more variables at play these days. Will Stern let this game wither on the vine with bad code? Will it have proper QC before leaving the plant? etc. etc...

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Those of us that were here before the JJP price announcement

Yeah, but weren't the JJP prices higher because he was starting a new company. Stern didn't HAVE to raise prices as their company is in place and running.

#26 11 years ago

but the question is what does everyone expect in a $4300. game? What is the minimum? Jpop

#27 11 years ago

What are the main components in a machine that made the price rise? Materials? Labor?

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if the price was back to normal

What's normal? The same price as 10 years ago?
    The world has changed since then.
    Weird question.

#29 11 years ago

I would definitely drop that kind of money on a new machine if it was a theme I enjoy. However there are a few things that bother me with 'modern' pins being released lately. 1) The art work looks phoned in most of the time. I cant stand new art work that looks like a photoshop students project. I prefer the old look of screen printed art on the playfields. 2) the playfield parts look cheap compared to older machines. One that sticks out in my mind is The Avengers.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

eah, but weren't the JJP prices higher because he was starting a new company.

Regardless of his reasons, he has set the market price. Stern would be stupid not to capitalize... and they do still make a sub $5K game... just not the LE.

If JJP's cost increases were purely related to being a startup, I would have to ask "why am I as a buyer floating the bill for your startup costs?" Where will all this extra cost be evidient in the game itself? In reality JJP is attempting to make a "better" product and that is a huge reason for the price increase. Stern is also offering more for the extra cost. The real question is, is it enough? Are you getting enough value from the additional features?

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

In reality JJP is attempting to make a "better" product and that is a huge reason for the price increase. Stern is also offering more for the extra cost.

I see quality and innovation in the JJP machine. The Stern machines seem to be the same. (to me)

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If prices were at $4300 where they should be, but would be 2 or 3 of them. (total $8600 or 12900), are manufacturers missing out on moving more product and essentially more profit by moving more volume?

Profit is the key unknown here. For argument's sake, let's say at a $4300 price point, Stern would make $1000.00 pure profit on a machine. If they sold two to someone, they make $2000.00. If they sell that same machine for $6000.00, they make $2700.00. Selling one machine makes them more profit than selling two.

If they only make $500.00 pure proft at the 4300 price point, then it is $1000.00 profit from selling two machines vs $2200.00 from selling one.

Moving more volume at a reduced price does not necessarily mean making more profit. Depending on profit per machine, they might need to sell triple the volume just to break even.

SkitB and the boutique manufacturers are a whole different ballgame. Their overhead is *way* less than Sterns. They don't have big factories to pay for along with all the utilities, don't have the same staffing costs (in some cases probably no staffing costs), don't have third party investors clamoring for profit, etc.

#33 11 years ago

As much as I don't like the new pricing, I do agree with the methodology. People were complaining that Stern games were being stripped down, such as IM and Avatar, and Stern was still charging their $4000 price tag. People wanted more toys in the game, but Stern had to cut something out due to rising costs of material and I assume labor too. Sorry, but you can't have all the toys and the cheap price too. If you think that's possible, then start making pinball machines and let us know how it goes. So, now you can still get Stern's standard pinball machine (stripped) in their Pro models, which is what the game would have been anyways before all these price increases, or you can spend the extra cash to get the game that everybody really wanted Stern to make, which is loaded up Premium or LE. The extra bells and whistles that go in these games cost Stern money, so that means higher prices. If you don't like it, don't buy them, or just buy the Pro, and everything will seem like it's "back to normal."

#34 11 years ago

I thought there were plenty of toys on the Stern machines at $4,500.

#35 11 years ago

Prices on the LE/Premium will NEVER go down. Sorry to break the news to you, but unless their inventory doesn't sell, you won't see a price break EVER.

Fortunately or Unfortunately this will attract a certain buyer, but not the populous. For the rest of us there is still the PRO, though not sure for how much longer this will even be "affordable".

It is what it is. I'm glad I was able to get the games when I did and I enjoy them immensely.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I see quality and innovation in the JJP machine. The Stern machines seem to be the same. (to me)

If we are comparing apples to apples, you will have to compare Stern's LE models to JJP's... since Jack is really only creating LEs.

I would have to say that Stern has certainly stepped up their game on the LE models in terms of rich features. However, execution, code and QC have really let them down.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I thought there were plenty of toys on the Stern machines at $4,500.

Well, here I will say that good design and code trumps all.
    Tron has 1 toy and, in my opinion, it is the best all around game Stern has released in a very, very long time.
    Everything in that game just comes together and that is a result of great design from Borg, Lyman and the entire team... plus a great license/theme.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Well, here I will say that good design and code trumps all.

True!

#39 11 years ago

Nib prices are going sky high never bought a nib but will eventually but might be Star Trek le (still saving up)
    I only wish but will never happen if stern goes back to its normal ways going with one model as if a game which there's no premium everyone goes le if there is a game with a premium model everyone will most probably buy it as there is not much difference between prem and le but that means the pro will drop in price

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Curious to see if these higher prices are kinda of hurting sterns

You keep talking about multiple Sterns....maybe if they consolidate into just one singular Stern, prices would come down a bit.

#41 11 years ago

Unfortunately it doesn't appear this is ever going to happen again.
    They need a model around 4K to sell to OPS and they make a large profit from the LE/Premium sales. If they made just one model again, they'd have to increase it to over 5K to make up the difference and would lose the OPS.

Quoted from Rarehero:

You keep talking about multiple Sterns....maybe if they consolidate into just one singular Stern, prices would come down a bit.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Profit is the key unknown here. For argument's sake, let's say at a $4300 price point, Stern would make $1000.00 pure profit on a machine. If they sold two to someone, they make $2000.00. If they sell that same machine for $6000.00, they make $2700.00. Selling one machine makes them more profit than selling two.
    If they only make $500.00 pure proft at the 4300 price point, then it is $1000.00 profit from selling two machines vs $2200.00 from selling one.
    Moving more volume at a reduced price does not necessarily mean making more profit. Depending on profit per machine, they might need to sell triple the volume just to break even.
    SkitB and the boutique manufacturers are a whole different ballgame. Their overhead is *way* less than Sterns. They don't have big factories to pay for along with all the utilities, don't have the same staffing costs (in some cases probably no staffing costs), don't have third party investors clamoring for profit, etc.

You are ignoring quantity buying. Parts would drastically reduce in price for stern thus having a positive affect on profitability. Not to mention they would have more games out there and a better hold on the market than they do now. They are slipping.......

They were in a great position with market share, you would think that rather than linning thier pockets with fast cash they would have shut the door to any competition

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It will be cheaper for stern since they are making multiple models it will cost more to produce but with one model it will be quicker to design as the designer will be designing the game faster as he won't be designing 3-4 games think back with bally Williams they had no le or premium and they produced in 1992 6 games a year but now with stern 3 a year that would mean more games to the public

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

boom, right there!

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

What are the main components in a machine that made the price rise? Materials? Labor?

opportunity.

#46 11 years ago

My suggestion:
    Cut all the versions down to one, around the premium level, get the price as low as you can reasonably get it and still make a nice profit without overly compromising quality. Also, lose the license themes and that will save a few bucks per unit. Stop trying to wring every last red cent out of the hobby in a short of time possible.

If they keep this pricing model up, eventually most folks will be tapped out and burnt out and this whole things falls like a house of cards.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My suggestion:
    Cut all the versions down to one, around the premium level, get the price as low as you can reasonably get it and still make a nice profit without overly compromising quality...

i was gonna say that.

now we have blue, red, le, premium, pro, home version.
    just one game like they used too, thats it.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My suggestion:
    Cut all the versions down to one, around the premium level, get the price as low as you can reasonably get it and still make a nice profit without overly compromising quality. Also, lose the license themes and that will save a few bucks per unit. Stop trying to wring every last red cent out of the hobby in a short of time possible.
    If they keep this pricing model up, eventually most folks will be tapped out and burnt out and this whole things falls like a house of cards.

Its very hard to move completely away from the liscensed themes. There is a reason that B/W and other manufacturers didn't. It provides immediate recognition for the public who would normally care less about pinball machines. Liscenses are attractive to everyone and not just pin heads, however I do feel a 50/50 mix would be much more appropriate. Or here is a crazy idea, Stern approach B/W and consider keeping their LE line and redo some of the huge titles, MM, TZ, MB etc. to keep the high end collectors happy and their profit margins huge.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

^ This! +1 (I'll even let you keep your licensed themes at ~$200 per unit)

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Curious to see if these higher prices are kinda of hurting sterns and JJP and others from selling more product or not. Purpose of this, is to see if the price was back to normal, if people would just buy more of them. Where prices are, someone buys one NIB for $6500. If prices were at $4300 where they should be, but would be 2 or 3 of them. (total $8600 or 12900), are manufacturers missing out on moving more product and essentially more profit by moving more volume?
    Curious on where everyone stands on this.

Curious where everyone stands on this?

Pretty simple: everyone wishes that they were cheaper.

Thread can now be closed.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-more-nib-pins-if-prices-were-back-to-normal-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.