(Topic ID: 256665)

Would you buy Keith Elwin's next game regardless of the theme?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by libtech
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Would you buy Keith Elwin's next game regardless of the theme?

This question is posed to those that have bought both of his first two machines.
I would've bought Iron Maiden but others did for location locally.
I got Jurassic Park and it's been a blast of a game and a hit earnings wise.

#4 4 years ago

Only if its a limited run topper @ 7fiddy plus shipping....

#5 4 years ago

No, That's the most important thing for me. I may play games on site with themes I can't get into or downright dislike but in my home? no way.

#6 4 years ago

No, but I would buy Spooky's next game sight unseen.

#7 4 years ago

His designs are awesome, no doubt about it. But Theme is very important to me and plays a huge factor in my purchases.

#8 4 years ago

Regardless is absolute ... but more than likely. I bought IM despite hating the theme. I’ve slowly been retheming it.

#9 4 years ago

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Justin Bieber: The Belieber
Downton Abbey

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

No, but I would buy Spooky's next game sight unseen.

Hope it isn't a Marilyn Manson re-theme of R. Zombie...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Hope it isn't a Marilyn Manson re-theme of R. Zombie...

I would actually be down for that, even though I'm pretty sure it's not that.
To each their own.

#12 4 years ago

this is piss poor advice for anyone. Never ever buy a game site unseen, based on just who designed it, who programmed it, or what the theme is. Play it extensively first under all circumstances.

#13 4 years ago

No way. What if it's Pokemon, or Frozen? You never know.

#14 4 years ago

No I usually buy based on theme and if it's a good game.

#15 4 years ago

No. Theme still matters. Didn't and won't ever buy IM, but would love to buy a JP.

#16 4 years ago

Jurassic Park theme does nothing for me, but I love the game. So, probably yes

#17 4 years ago

Hey there...cool your jets big boy

#18 4 years ago

A question that cannot be answered for another year+

#19 4 years ago

absolutely not.

#20 4 years ago

Never, on the off chance the theme is lame or worse, the game is loaded with plastic ramps! Save the environment, ban plastic ramps!

#21 4 years ago

Yes, i would!

#22 4 years ago

Probably - he's the best designer right now. Team him up with Tim Sexton on code and you've got a guaranteed fun machine regardless of theme. I mean I bought Iron Maiden which is super fun with what I consider a super weak theme for my tastes.

#23 4 years ago

I feel Keith is hitting home runs from the design phase. I buy every game always so the answer is yes. I think Keith is really pushing the designs in a direction we can all be excited about. Some very unique layouts and using more of the playfield for meaningful shots than any other current designer. It is amazing to hear casuals come to me and say, "when is the dude that did maiden and JP making another game?" Pretty awesome that they notice how cool the games are and they know zero other designers.

#24 4 years ago

Totally agree that his designs are fresh and fun to shoot but theme is important, so no. I am also looking forward to playing what Brian Eddy has been working on.

#25 4 years ago

Bump,NorCalRealtor!!! NO!!!

#26 4 years ago

I probably would at this point. Dude is crushing it.

#27 4 years ago

I guess the answer is no - as I'm not buying JP2 at this point. I LOVE IMDN and was expecting to get JP, but something fell flat with it for me on arrival. I guess it's the theme, or maybe just their execution of it. I'm hoping maybe after its fully finished code wise maybe something will click...

I'd say having KMFE on design is a major, major selling point, but it's not quite enough on its own and theme and theme integration can be the deciding factor for sure...

Most excited to see Eddy's pin finally at this point - hope it's soon.

#28 4 years ago

In Keith I trust, but Stern quality...they need to convince me first.

So until then, hard pass on owning, but his games will get most of my quarters on location.

#29 4 years ago

No, but only because these things are so damn expensive. It’s pretty clear he’s revolutionising game design. Man the other Stern guys are either in awe or they hate him, lol

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I guess the answer is no - as I'm not buying JP2 at this point. I LOVE IMDN and was expecting to get JP, but something feel flat with that me on arrival. I guess it's the theme, or maybe just their execution of it. I'm hoping maybe after its fully finished code wise maybe something will click...
I'd say having KMFE on design is a major, major selling point, but it's not quite enough on its own and theme and theme integration can be the deciding factor for sure...
Most excited to see Eddy's pin finally at this point - hope it's soon.

Keith is knocking it out of the park at the moment.

But he can't do everything and whilst JP is a brilliant game, I am not blown away by the sound package.

With prices as they are, everything has to be good to pull the trigger on a NIB.

#31 4 years ago

Keith has that rare gift of vision and grace and depth in his designs. A true design genius IMO.

That said, theme matters. Like others have said, especially at current prices for NIB.

He won't get them, but too bad he didn't get Led Zeppelin or Stranger Things (assuming Stern will make these).

Mr. Elwin should be served an A+ licensed property, IMO, for his next design.

#32 4 years ago

i would say no. his games are good and all, but i don't think JP is the best thing ever. Its good and all, but the newness factor has everyone salivating over it. I guess it depends on the theme of what he makes. Personally, i think george gomez makes the best games.

#33 4 years ago

I know for sure that I will thoroughly enjoy Keith's next game, regardless of the theme.

#34 4 years ago

I won't buy his second game based on theme, so the answer for the third is: No. Jurassic Park is fun to shoot, and if I want to play one fortunately there are a bunch on location here. I just flat out don't care for the theme, I've never read a JP book or seen any of the movies, so there is no way I would put one in my house.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I won't buy his second game based on theme, so the answer for the third is: No. Jurassic Park is fun to shoot, and if I want to play one fortunately there are a bunch on location here. I just flat out don't care for the theme, I've never read a JP book or seen any of the movies, so there is no way I would put one in my house.

why would that stop you? if it's a good game who cares what the theme is? Good layout, great rules means a great game. I never listened to Iron Maiden before. Always enjoyed their posters but never heard them until the machine came out. The machine blew me away so much with layout and rules, i had to get one. Once you find yourself going to a specific machine every time you see it, it might be time to buy that machine.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why would that stop you? if it's a good game who cares what the theme is? Good layout, great rules means a great game. I never listened to Iron Maiden before. Always enjoyed their posters but never heard them until the machine came out. The machine blew me away so much with layout and rules, i had to get one. Once you find yourself going to a specific machine every time you see it, it might be time to buy that machine.

Until I have more space, theme is going to be one of the deciding factors in what I put into my house. I don't like Jurassic Park, or anything dinosaur related really, therefore it does not matter the caliber of the game. I've had NIB money sitting here for over a year now, and nothing has really hit on all cylinders for me yet, and none of the rumored upcoming games really interest me so at this point I'm just waiting for the right deal on a good used game that also happens to be something I wouldn't mind keeping around for a while.

#37 4 years ago

if you base your purchases on theme only, you are going to be disappointed many times over. There are so many games that have great themes but just terrible games, and crappy themed games, that are phenomenal.

#38 4 years ago

Nope. Don’t buy nothin I haven’t seen and played. And can be produced on schedule.

#39 4 years ago

No. I don't own his first two games because of their themes.

#40 4 years ago

No, because even the very best at something can make the occasional double-bogey.

#41 4 years ago

the fact i had to look up who he was covers the question but im certain that buying *any* game without inspecting and playing it is foolish.

#42 4 years ago

Seriously??? NO !

3 weeks later
#43 4 years ago

I just want to reiterate: the correct answer to this is an emphatic YES.

#44 4 years ago

If it wasn't a Stern? Maybe.

#45 4 years ago

It would depend on all the other factors of the game. Layout, features/toys, code, art, and overall fun factor.

I own IMDN and JP2, and both are awesome. He's certainly my favorite designer right now.

#46 4 years ago

I love Maiden and plan to JP if Stern could get their shit straight.

I think he is my new go to designer.

As long as they don’t put Lonnie on the code I would be in.

#47 4 years ago

I don’t think Keith would really accept a crappy theme. I think he’s shown that he can do the big licenses now. Even JP is a big license with its limited assets

#48 4 years ago

Did he quit Stern and go somewhere else? Then no.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Trade
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-keith-elwin-s-next-game-regardless-of-the-theme?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.