(Topic ID: 248450)

Would you buy Back to the Future or Jaws IF...

By pin2d

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“would you consider buying a pinball machine themed on BACK TO THE FUTURE or JAWS if it followed the story of the movie, there were no movie scenes included, the movie scenes were recreated with animations, and original voice work was included?”

• Yes 63 votes
      48%
    • No 42 votes
      32%
    • Maybe 26 votes
      20%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HalfSatisfiedAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif
    bp (resized).jpg
    2EE729EE-C364-4C19-A823-5E3CDA1DC7BE.gif
    Capture (resized).PNG
    13000101 (resized).jpg
    p9996687_v_v8_af (resized).jpg
    bttfdelorean (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 4 years ago

I didn't vote, but I think my opinion seems to mirror the rest. Jaws yes, BTTF no.

I think you just need to look at where the meat is. On Jurassic Park the meat is literally in the dinosaurs. The characters, the humans, are fine, but they're just not essential. We're here for the dinosaur movie.

Jaws, same thing. The humans matter, but when people want the game they're asking for a big ass shark toy, they want the music, they want the shark eating motherfuckers. If anything a Jaws game that didn't use the movie at all would probably be better. It's honestly a slow film really, very few genuine action scenes. Skip all that and make a cool shark game with the Jaws name to sell it and you're gold. The Jurassic Park animation team (I think Keith shouted out like 6 people) has clearly demonstrated they could animate a shark.

BTTF has the car, and that's cool, but the story is really about people. No people, nothing compelling. I don't know that it's a great pin license, probably, but only if you really had all that access. All the scenes, all the lines, all the faces, nothing held back. We got away on Alien without Ripley, I think we totally pulled it off. But BTTF without Doc? Please.

My feeling is there a million license ideas out there. Or thousands at the very least. Pick one that either gives you a great hook for an original thought (Jurassic Park, Jaws) or only pick one like BTTF if they're giving you the whole cake, and letting you bring your own ice cream. If you're limited? Pass. Like, Wonka, if you're stuck with the slot machine art package and a family that won't let you use the word brats? Just walk, make something else. Why compromise?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Jaws is an iconic movie and forever will be.

That's fine, but "iconic movie" doesn't mean "great pinball". Just because you have an LCD screen, and can play a scene from a movie on it, doesn't mean it's a good fit.

When we did all the work on Alien's LCD we were combing through two movies to find enough material. And if you watch the screen (I realize a lot of people will not get the chance to play this game) one thing you'll notice is how everything on the screen is heavily edited. Chop chop chop, a lot of fast cuts, keeping the pace up. There are no talking head scenes. No actors standing around, chit chatting. We kept everything snappy and moving. Acid dripping through a deck, done. Shotgun to the face of a xeno, done. Vehicle crashing through an area, ship crashing, all high paced stuff.

Jaws is mostly just those talking heads. One film, not multiple, and mostly people hanging around. The actual action scenes are very sparse. Everyone thinks about the couple obvious ones with the shark, and forgets how much of the film is the town people arguing and talking and looking at chalkboards etc. Terrible pinball material really.

What makes for a good, emotional, and satisfying movie is not the same thing as what makes for a good pinball display.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-back-to-the-future-or-jaws-if?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.