3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by the9gman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I am pondering a question and would like thoughts from you guys that have been in this for a while. I'm looking to customize two machines and they are going to need new art work. I have been looking on ebay and there are used wide format printers for anywhere from 300 to 3000 dollars.
    the ones I'm looking at will do sticky vinyl for cabinets and play field and clear back lit plastic for translites which is what I would need. The cartridges are available which there is no problem there. The question is, they are 600 by 600 dpi.... is that enough? and after I do the machines I want, Do you think there would be enough demand to do this as a part time gig for other people in this hobby

#2 3 years ago

Verify which operating system they use, many are outdated.
    Check prices of ink cartridges, a full set can approach 1000 bucks.
    Inspect in person if possible, the printing head is critical.

#3 3 years ago

im looking at mostly HP design jet 500's looks like you can get software and you can get supplies and ink unless there is a better suggestion

#4 3 years ago

Not sure what you're looking at for ink.
    We run an 800 at work, the 500s big brother.
    The inkjet ink that we use is water soluable even after fully drying. It's very smeary unless kept perfectly dry.
    We only print on paper and occasionally vellum. Not sure the ink would stick to plastic or vinyl at all.

I think most vinyl printing is thermal, which the 500/800 is not.

#5 3 years ago

A dependable printer of that size really needs a Pro setup, and, wait for it, a Copier Consultant. A Printer Rep is worth their weight in gold.
    My next printer will be the Canon Pro-100, but I do not know if it can do what you are looking for.

#6 3 years ago

Pretty sure you'll need a printer that can print with white ink. Those are ridiculously expensive.

#7 3 years ago

so smeary is definitely not good
    what do you think of something like this .....says it will do what I am looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imagePROGRAF-Format-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B07ZDRDJHB/ref=sr_1_9

Yes, it will print on a wide variety of Sign/Banner and Display Media
    Water Resistant Matte Polypropylene 115gsm 6mil
    Durable Matte Polypropylene Banner 130gsm 7mil
    Adhesive Matte Vinyl 290gsm 11mil
    Water Resistant Adhesive Matte Vinyl 330gsm 13mil
    Water Resistant Matte Banner Vinyl 480gsm 13.8mil
    Scrim Banner Vinyl 460gsm 14mil
    Peel & Stick Repositionable Media 260gsm 11mil
    Premium Gift Wrapping Paper 95gsm 4mil
    And many other types of inkjet coated media

like to speak to someone with experience with one of these ....not looking to clear coat the play field going to go the plastic overlay route

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Pretty sure you'll need a printer that can print with white ink. Those are ridiculously expensive

actually the water restive adhesive adhesive matte vinyl is white , the idea is to print the play field on that and cut out the inserts and holes.....attach water slide decals on the inserts and install them and then cut a piece of PET-G plastic to overlay the whole thing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-used-wide-format-printer-to-do-a-custom-play-fields?hl=the9gman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.