Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by nman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy a remake of an older game??”

• Yes........ in a minute 111 votes
      66%
    • No....not on your life 57 votes
      34%

(168 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Ok... you would buy an remake of an older game from let say, the late 70s early 80's if it were made just like they did back then, with all the old technology but it would be brand new.

And best of all the price would be the same as back then too. Just wondering

#2 5 years ago

The same price as back then would be unrealistic, the real question would be even at Todays prices I know a lot of pin heads would still be in the market. A blinged out Fathom can go $7k and Gary Stern has said the older Sterns would cost too much to remake due to the high cost of the drop target assemblies. Imagine a brand new Quicksilver or Centaur Im sure there would be a market even at today’s prices because there already is for high end restores.

#3 5 years ago

Don't companies/buyers do that now? A lot of remakes out there or in the works. Prices are adjusted for inflation/demand/or what the company thinks they can get out of the game, expecting anything else is unrealistic.

Also there are advantages to advanced technology. . . better quality is always a bonus.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok... you would buy an remake of an older game from let say, the late 70s early 80's if it were made just like they did back then, with all the old technology but it would be brand new.

TNA isn't too far off from that and it's $6,000. Whoa Nellie was $5500 and they sold about 10 of them.

Sadly it's fantasy. Pinball machines will never be priced as they were "back then" again.

But sure. If Stern wants to start making Quicksilvers again and selling them at $2,000, I'm in!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

...with all the old technology but it would be brand new.
    And best of all the price would be the same as back then too.

It would be silly to use the original technology when modern components are available, cheaper, and more reliable.

Have you ever seen a system 11 boardset? Compare that to the boards in #lexy

#6 5 years ago

Man............. you guys like to overthink things. All I asked is... if you could would you??

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Man............. you guys like to overthink things. All I asked is... if you could would you??

Lmao!!! Welcome to Pinside.
    -Mike

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

I tell myself don't do, it but I did

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It would be silly to use the original technology when modern components are available, cheaper, and more reliable.
    Have you ever seen a system 11 boardset? Compare that to the boards in #lexy

I'll take that as a NO

#10 5 years ago

As much as I would love to say yes, and unbox a brand new Star Gazer, there's no way remakes with new style mechanisms would have the same feel. I'd take a beater over a remake. Especially for the price.

#11 5 years ago

I'll take that as a NO. However I did same tec, nothing about new style mechanisms Would you like to change to a YES??

#12 5 years ago

Here's one problem: if lets say someone did remake lets say "The Black Knight"
    I for 1 would want newer technology, with color graphics and visuals, and isn't this why
    the DMD games took over?

to your question though, I voted yes same game original price, don't know who wouldn't yes
    except the hardcore purest.

#13 5 years ago

Why do people make a poll/topic, and then get all pissy when people answer it?

Please answer as a YES/NO only!!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

However I did same tec, nothing about new style mechanisms Would you like to change to a YES??

Might as well ask me if I'd buy one made out of cheese. Never gonna happen.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I thought that's what I did, but instead I get a lesson in economics and why my question is unrealistic. I give up I'll drain the topic.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

See what I mean??

#17 5 years ago

What a shame, though you question was just for fun!

Quoted from timab2000:I thought that's what I did, but instead I get a lesson in economics and why my question is unrealistic. I give up I'll drain the topic.

#18 5 years ago

I love new pinsiders. They have been contributing so much lately.

#19 5 years ago

Why would a newly made game be arbitrarily sold in deflated 1970s dollars? When they were originally made in 1979 or whatever, the sale price was in 1979 dollars.

$1000 in 1979 would be the same as $3,653 today.

If your question involves a 75% discounted price, why not just go all the way and make it free? Or $1?

Also,

I don't think I've ever seen any thread on any website that didn't involve people chitter-chattering. It's a forum, isn't it?

Have you ever seen a thread that consisted of people writing YES or NO and no other comments?

#20 5 years ago

I’ll say if they remade games like Earthshaker and Whirlwind (among others), with playfields with proper clear coats, I’d be very tempted to buy.

You’d have to incentivize them though. example: Breathe new life into the design by allowing the player to play with “classic” rules (being identical to the original) or “modern” rules, with code more akin to games produced today. A modern LCD could easily emulate original displays.

I think in that case, one could make the justification to purchase.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

What a shame, though you question was just for fun!

My question was for fun, but then someone always has to come along and make some ahole comment. I did not have problem with everyone making comments I was just asking a question. And was trying to keep it simple that's all.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#22 5 years ago

If someone can make a game out of cheese, I'm buying it!

Deep root?

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

LMAO!! Welcome to the internet.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I love new pinsiders. They have been contributing so much lately.

So how long to I have to be on the site before I can post something??? It's better than all the boring talk about the next Stern game. I think they have beat the horse to death.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

So how long to I have to be on the site before I can post something??? It's better than all the boring talk about the next Stern game. I think they have beat the horse to death.

Yes seems to be a love/hate relation there.
    bitch about the quality control issues and then speculate what's next,
    guess there just looking for something to new bitch about.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

So how long to I have to be on the site before I can post something???

About 2 weeks

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

My question was for fun, but then someone always has to come along and make some ahole comment. I did not have problem with everyone making comments I was just asking a question. And was trying to keep it simple that's all.

I don't think he was making an asshole comment. I think he was just pointing out what he saw as a flaw in your question (in his own subtle style...which I enjoy!). The part about "price would be the same as back then too" takes the question out of the hypothetical and throws it into fantasy.

It's kind of like asking if I'd be interested in a date with Kate Upton. Sure, but I don't lose a lot of sleep waiting for it. And keep on posting. Discussion forums are nothing without "discussion"!

#28 5 years ago

The problem is raw materials, the industrial base costs and labour costs are proportionally much higher now than in 1979. So it's not even a basic inflation issue, all costs are higher even after compensating for inflation.

So you might be able to do a Fathom for $7,000. You might even be able to sell 100 of them, but that's it. Then you have to provide service for them after, which means a warranty and support costs. It's really a money-losing proposition.

#29 5 years ago

To answer your question directly. Yes. If there were any 1970s or 1980s era pins made brand new and the price wasn't inflated, I'd purchase several in a heartbeat.

#30 5 years ago

no, no, no
    i love my old games, but if i buy new, i want freshness, innovation

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The problem is raw materials, the industrial base costs and labour costs are proportionally much higher now than in 1979. So it's not even a basic inflation issue, all costs are higher even after compensating for inflation.
    So you might be able to do a Fathom for $7,000. You might even be able to sell 100 of them, but that's it. Then you have to provide service for them after, which means a warranty and support costs. It's really a money-losing proposition.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DISCUSS THIS IN THIS DETAIL!

Please just answer yes or no. Would you or wouldn't you?!?!?!

#32 5 years ago

The more you play, the more you realize that older games have a lot more design innovation in them. It would be great to see remakes of classic solid states, but the price just wouldn't work out for either the buyer nor the manufacturer to make it work. If I could get a brand new Star Gazer for $3,000 though? I'd be be in.

#33 5 years ago

Yes, I would buy Fathom, haunted house, pharaoh and solar fire.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Deep root?

YYYES! Cheddar Cheese me!

#35 5 years ago

In for a Star Gazer, Joust or Defender.. And maybe a Skateball or Fathom.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

In for a Star Gazer, Joust or Defender.. And maybe a Skateball or Fathom.

Okies always have great taste in pins.

#37 5 years ago

Yeah, hook me up with one of those brand new $800 Fireballs from back in the day and that will overcome my desire to not own another one.

#38 5 years ago

If you made a game out of cheese, it would be the wrong cheese for Yancy

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This could be a good backglass/translite.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#40 5 years ago

Start making some Fathoms. They will sell.

#41 5 years ago

Paragon, Space Invaders, Embryon, Fathom

I would buy a new remake of any of those in a heartbeat.

#42 5 years ago

I thought this thread was closed?

#43 5 years ago

Old game updated like TNA with new features.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Start making some Fathoms. They will sell.

Without a doubt.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

If I understand your question correctly and the game would be the price it was in 1970 or 1980 then isn’t this like saying “would you buy Amazon stock for $1 per share today”? It is worth more so wouldn’t the poll logically be 100% yes unless someone has a moral objection to Amazon and a REALLY strong dislike of an easy legal source of money?

#46 5 years ago

No, restoration is more rewarding than simply buying a new toy.

The other main principle is that a remake is never the same design, as always something is changed as per manufacturer "preference", present it as more reliable, or lucrative to new buyers. Reliability is not endemic based on technology, it is based on care and maintenance. King of Diamonds was an example of this technique, based on changes. This it is not same as a reproduction game, which there are only a few true examples in pinball history unless exclusively made from spare parts.

A good example for a bad remake would be Paragon, as there is nothing nostalgic about the title if it used modern technology, displays, flashy sounds, music, or even a LCD which would cut out part of the backglass image. Upgrades is not what makes a title, the basic design was the hallmark.

#47 5 years ago

No, only original and at a fraction of the price.

#48 5 years ago

I just started this cause there seems to be SOOOOOO much attention on these rock band and movie titled games, which you have to give your arm and leg for, so I was curious to see if anyone would buy the older games if they were available.

I know they would never make, or sell them, at yesterday's prices, but if they did, and say even sold them for even a few grand would you go for it, or is everyone mesmerized by the new stuff at any price.

I may be missing something cause I have never played a game newer than early 80's. (mostly cause I live in corn country) so maybe if I got a chance to play a new one, my mind would change.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I just started this cause there seems to be SOOOOOO much attention on these rock band and movie titled games, which you have to give your arm and leg for, so I was curious to see if anyone would buy the older games if they were available.
    I know they would never make, or sell them, at yesterday's prices, but if they did, and say even sold them for even a few grand would you go for it, or is everyone mesmerized by the new stuff at any price.
    I may be missing something cause I have never played a game newer than early 80's. (mostly cause I live in corn country) so maybe if I got a chance to play a new one, my mind would change.

Ok I think I understand your question now. The new stuff is so flashy that it is hard to beat out. I don’t think it being NEW is the only driver it is also the IPs the sounds etc. I would also say the newer stuff is so much deeper it provides more of a challenge with more to see and do. No matter how NEW an old EM is you won’t capture that.

Doesn’t make the older stuff bad. Some of it is REALLY fun. Just very different games.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

No, restoration is more rewarding than simply buying a new toy. The other main principle is that a remake is never the same design, as always something is changed as per manufacturer "preference". King of Diamonds was an example of this technique. This it is not same as a reproduction game, which there are only a few true examples in pinball history unless exclusively made from spare parts.
    A good example for a bad remake would be Paragon, as there is nothing nostalgic about the title if it used modern technology, displays, flashy sounds, music, or even a LCD which would cut out part of the backglass image. Upgrades is not what makes a title, the basic design was the hallmark.

I agree with you on this, but for some games finding everything you need to get a full restoration is often really hard.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-remake-of-an-older-game-vote-now?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.