(Topic ID: 307752)

Would you buy a pin with built in cameras?

By Anony

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I'm trying to think of ways to use newer technology to make unique features on pins.

Would you care about a pin with built in cameras? I'm not really into streaming but I recognize it's pretty popular these days and having something built in to do that would be pretty cool. A backbox camera could shoot the playfield as well as be used to take pictures of the player for high scores/integration with the game's theme.

But why not take it a step further? Instead of just shooting the playfield from above why not have cameras in the machine so you can see what's going on from angles on the playfield, similar to promo videos for games where the camera follows the ball around at table level?

And what if, like your xbox, the game recorded everything you do so if something really cool or unique happens you can hit a button and clip out the last x minutes of gameplay to watch later? Or what if when you drain it shows you a replay of what just happened so you can take note and try to learn from your mistakes?
    One thing I love about pinball is that after thousands of games you still see the ball do crazy stuff you'll only ever see once. Now you will never miss a chance to watch again and see what happened.

I can think of a lot of cool ways this could be used and considering there are phones that cost less than $1000 with multiple cameras on them I don't' think it would be that prohibitive cost wise.

#2 2 years ago

JJP has included a camera in Dialed In, POTC, willy Wonka and GNR. Mainly used for players high score pics, but occasionally used during gameplay.

It would be nice to include more cameras as Internet connectivity increases.

#3 2 years ago

I already have an learned a few things.

1. It's kind of cool, but underutilized on DI
    2. Kids LOVE it
    3. Old Fat pinball players HATE it. The crying that goes on around here aboot it pretty amazing, which is probably why JJP had to make it so you could disable them

EDIT: IT could really work with like a Deapool or smart ass theme so it could take pictures of you and draw stink lines coming on people or tell them to "eat a salad" or something like that. Ha, good times.

#4 2 years ago

Would it be possible to have a camera that was relatively invisible & didn’t look like a “rig”?

I think if there was any factory camera option, it would be a kit instead of included with every game. Only a handful of people stream pinball.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Would it be possible to have a camera that was relatively invisible & didn’t look like a “rig”?
    I think if there was any factory camera option, it would be a kit instead of included with every game. Only a handful of people stream pinball.

I think they could hide them pretty well. Some optos peaksthrough a small gap in a ball guide, you could do the same with a camera and find different ways to hide them around the playfield.
    Kits would be nice for streaming too but I don't think you'd be able to take it very far without it being built into the core design of the machine.
    Also makes me wonder about things like the shaker motor if the cameras are fixed into the machine. Not sure how to deal with that.

Quoted from TheLaw:

1. It's kind of cool, but underutilized on DI
    2. Kids LOVE it
    3. Old Fat pinball players HATE it. The crying that goes on around here aboot it pretty amazing, which is probably why JJP had to make it so you could disable them
    EDIT: IT could really work with like a Deapool or smart ass theme so it could take pictures of you and draw stink lines coming on people or tell them to "eat a salad" or something like that. Ha, good times.

This is funny. I can see why some people wouldn't want their picture taken each game. I know many Japanese arcade games do this kind of thing and put your face up there on the screen while you play and it seems to really hit with the kids as you noticed.

Quoted from Coz:

JJP has included a camera in Dialed In, POTC, willy Wonka and GNR. Mainly used for players high score pics, but occasionally used during gameplay.
    It would be nice to include more cameras as Internet connectivity increases.

I knew they had it for scores but didn't realize they use it during gameplay. Sounds like they have probably thought of the stuff I'm mentioning here.

#6 2 years ago

Stern years ahead of you. PHOTOMAT August 1979. Cosmic Princess. Take a cruise to AU.and be ready for some searching I would guess.

Shane

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I knew they had it for scores but didn't realize they use it during gameplay.

DI has a lottery scratcher mode and you can move your hand up and down to interact with the screen. Pretty sure you can only do it once though, so kind of anti climactic. You'd be amazed how much people get pissy aboot. Don't get me started on the audacity of Stern wanting people to push a button!

#8 2 years ago

We had dialed in for a while. The girls loved the selfie game play mode. They´ve never been so interested in pinball before.
    I think it´s a fun thing.

#9 2 years ago

2. Kids LOVE it

aint nuthin but the truth

#10 2 years ago

I don't really care, but they'll just use it as another reason to increase prices. They won't stop at the actual cost either, as evidenced by the $200 Stern wants for a Qr reader and wifi dongle for Insider Connected.

A camera isn't worth $20 to me, much less whatever the manufacturers will gouge for or remove from actual useful/wanted features on the BOM...

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

I don't really care, but they'll just use it as another reason to increase prices. They won't stop at the actual cost either, as evidenced by the $200 Stern wants for a Qr reader and wifi dongle for Insider Connected.
    A camera isn't worth $20 to me, much less whatever the manufacturers will gouge for or remove from actual useful/wanted features on the BOM...

Nah, using features to increase price is long gone. Now they'll just increase the price.

Quoted from TheLaw:

So that's like 95% of real collectors eh?

#12 2 years ago

I like it on my GNR - cracks me and my buddies up all the time! It’s a fun added feature IMO.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

I like it on my GNR - cracks me and my buddies up all the time! It’s a fun added feature IMO.

I think it's on GNR to shut people up who are making fun of Fat Axl. "See, you've got a double-chin too!"

#14 2 years ago

These JJP cameras have motion sensors in attract mode.
    Was quietly working on another game when GNR called out “WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PLAY F*UCKER?!?!”
    Scared the living crap outta me..

So no, not a big fan of cameras.

#15 2 years ago

I had an idea for camera usage that would work like this. There is an area of the playfield with targets, a playfield flipper, lit shot inserts etc. that is hidden from the player's view but has a camera there. That area becomes visible only through the LCD under certain circumstances in gameplay. The player has to make the correct shots by getting instantaneous visual feedback from the LCD about ball location and lit inserts showing what to go for, otherwise it will be blind, random shot flailing.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I had an idea for camera usage that would work like this. There is an area of the playfield with targets, a playfield flipper, lit shot inserts etc. that is hidden from the player's view but has a camera there. That area becomes visible only through the LCD under certain circumstances in gameplay. The player has to make the correct shots by getting instantaneous visual feedback from the LCD about ball location and lit inserts showing what to go for, otherwise it will be blind, random shot flailing.

Neat idea. Maybe you could have limited visibility of that area with the naked eye and progressing a bonus lets you see more and more of it via the LCD.

#17 2 years ago

For verifiable online matches a built in camera would be needed. System software could verify settings. Similar tech is available for online darts, the camera is not even $50.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from DJK77:

For verifiable online matches a built in camera would be needed. System software could verify settings. Similar tech is available for online darts, the camera is not even $50.

I've played that dart arcade game where you watch your opponent live as you played, it was very cool and I didn't even consider the impact it had on potential cheaters.

Here's another use for cameras. What if they can track the ball so the game knows at all times where it is? You could do some pretty unique things with that like rollover targets that don't need a physical switch, or trigger things based on the exact path the ball follows. I've noticed that you can sometimes cheese certain modes since the game only knows where the ball is based on what switches are being hit. A fully tracked ball could open up some doors to prevent that and do other cool things.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I've played that dart arcade game where you watch your opponent live as you played, it was very cool and I didn't even consider the impact it had on potential cheaters.
    Here's another use for cameras. What if they can track the ball so the game knows at all times where it is? You could do some pretty unique things with that like rollover targets that don't need a physical switch, or trigger things based on the exact path the ball follows. I've noticed that you can sometimes cheese certain modes since the game only knows where the ball is based on what switches are being hit. A fully tracked ball could open up some doors to prevent that and do other cool things.

That’s what P3 Multimorphic does. Not with cameras, tho. But it has ball tracking so there can be interactive elements with the screen playfield.

#20 2 years ago

Only if not connected to the internet.

#21 2 years ago

First they put in a camera. Then they recorded me playing pinball and sent it to the government. Then the FBI came and made me take a vaccine.

BOYCOTT PINBALL CAMERAS

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

First they put in a camera. Then they recorded me playing pinball and sent it to the government. Then the FBI came and made me take a vaccine.
    BOYCOTT PINBALL CAMERAS

Not sure if sarcasm, but yes. It's like all the Smart Home stuff. YOU pay to have your privacy invaded. Whether it's an intentional backdoor, a hacker, employee (Google), or "bug" (Amazon).

Really wish there were more alternatives with smart features that don't invade or risk privacy. There is a reason Sonos released their next gen with the SL lineup. Not everyone wants a backdoor into their home.

#24 2 years ago

Nobody wants to see me naked playing pinball

#25 2 years ago

No ! I'm 6-7 all the pics I've seen when playing Dialed In are god awful .

#26 2 years ago

If someone needs a gimmick that appeals to their narcissism in order to enjoy pinball then maybe it’s just not the hobby for them.

I have friends I can no longer stand spending any time with because they are constantly shooting videos\photos. For goodness sake, stop documenting life and actually try living it a little by interacting with the people spending time with you in person. Newsflash: nobody else cares about what you are doing enough to actually watch all the self-aggrandizing crap you post.

Probably got off target there just a little, but I feel a little better now.

#27 2 years ago

F the cameras...its not in the spirit of the silver ball

#28 2 years ago

A camera could also be used for showing shot replay for an especially cool shot or combo made, shown at the end of the game.

#29 2 years ago

What would be really cool is to have a few cameras mounted in prime locations that can record snippets and the play back your game in attract mode or as you want. Its an easy technology to add so surprised one of the manufactures or modder's hasn't thought of a good way to do this.

I would be in for a few if someone can come up with something that could be say streamed to a monitor for some of the older games. Use a matrix to loop a bunch together for display - just a thought

#30 2 years ago

I dont want cameras on my pinball but since Stern likes cameras put them on your line and look at quality control.Quality is pretty good though could be improved.Wait lets ask Big Brother if he needs photos and info my phone and TV arent providing already .Hey Alexa kma

#32 2 years ago

I find some people are so infatuated with technology, they rush to adopt it without realizing or maybe caring about the dangers for abuse. Cameras on a pinball are a definite NO for me! "They" can spy on me if they want, but I'm not going to make it even easier for them. Call me paranoid, but I'll just laugh at you!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I find some people are so infatuated with technology, they rush to adopt it without realizing or maybe caring about the dangers for abuse. Cameras on a pinball are a definite NO for me! "They" can spy on me if they want, but I'm not going to make it even easier for them. Call me paranoid, but I'll just laugh at you!

HaHa the guy from pot town Paranoid,thats crazy

#34 2 years ago

The first time I played Dial In, things were going pretty good in several modes and suddenly, my photo was plastered all over the LCD screen in about a dozen locations, basically covering the entire screen. It was a little bit creepy to be honest. I think it covered up the score... There was no indication that the machine would take my photo and no warning that my photo would be saved on the machine, and displayed all over the LCD screen, no less. I moved to a different machine at that point.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I think your concern is warranted but I don't think it's focused correctly. Cameras are not the issue, it's how they are implemented that is the issue. Companies can release the source code to show they're not capable of spying, they can allow the use of the features without any internet connectivity, they can give you the option to disable or physically block the cameras. There are so many ways this can be done while addressing the kind of concerns you have. I don't think it's right to blame the technology, you have to blame the people who are implementing it without good faith.

#36 2 years ago

You're essentially correct, but do you trust ANY of the concerns currently implementing such technology? The only internet company I trust with my privacy currently is DuckDuckGo, and that is subject to change at any time! LOL

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

JJP cam is fine.

#38 2 years ago

having the camera aimed at the player on the JJPs never did anything for me. I was always captured just staring down at the pf with a scowl.

I'd be really interested in pf-level cameras that could capture the dynamics of the ball. Would even be helpful for technique. Is the ball sliding? Is it spinning?

Oh and a high-speed camera would be awesome to see the rubber deformed in slomo.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from happyclan:

having the camera aimed at the player on the JJPs never did anything for me. I was always captured just staring down at the pf with a scowl.

Yeah and I don;t know if they've upgraded since DI, but if you play in any low level light the shots are complete garbage. And not very low light at all really.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah and I don;t know if they've upgraded since DI, but if you play in any low level light the shots are complete garbage. And not very low light at all really.

It's just stupid to take pictures of player. It just looks bad no matter what and creepy. Hate having to wave your arms and all that, too. I'm sure little kids find it funny but little kids think everything stupid is funny. If you could build in gameplay that keeps track of ball using a camera that would be something. You could have a FH Rudy 2.0 where his whole head and eyes move to watch the ball and react to things like missed shots. That would be pretty cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-pin-with-built-in-cameras?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.