Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jamesays
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.03.48 PM (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Would you buy a used pin. That you can not inspect or look at in person. I am kinda new at this. It would have to be shipped across the country. What are some of the right questions to ask.... I can only go by pictures and I am no expert.

#2 2 years ago

If it was a super hard to find game and a great price and the seller had good feedback and provided me with all the pictures video and info I wanted, yes

#3 2 years ago

No
    Inspect and play in person
    Unless you have a friend who lives close enough to inspect for you who knows pinball.
    As a newbie you wont know the right questions (especially follow up questions) to ask and more than likely will get burned.

That being said, there are a lot of helpful people on this site who may be willing to look at it for you. If the game is in So Cal let me know I can check it out for you

#4 2 years ago

Is this your first pin? What's your (approximate) location?

#5 2 years ago

No, I actually bid 900 on one on
    eBay 7 years ago on a mr and mrs Pac-Man and won. The guy was local. This newer pin are real expensive compared to back then. I live near Cleveland..... I would lik an attack from Mars, but am looking at buying theater of magic. Just do not want to get burned. The guy has has it for 6 year now and lives across the country.

#6 2 years ago

FYI,Several yrs.ago,I wanted a TAF as it was my grail pin!I found a converted TAFG for sale in MASS,the one I wanted!! Going on total trust, given the owners background,I sent $ 8,500 to a total stranger!! The pin came in perfect condition.It played perfectly!Coast to coast with no BS. I know everybody hasn't had that experience,but you gotta go with what you know!! Good luck Ctown72!! Have fun,B safe!!

#7 2 years ago

No no no. I bought 2 pins sight unseen (except for pictures) over 10 years ago from a well established retailer on the east side of Dallas and paid one of their employees to deliver them. They were dirty, had missing parts under the playfield, many burnt connectors, broken plastics, DMD had lines out.

When I asked the delivery person to look in the head he looked like he was going to have a heart attack. He knew the machines had been totally misrepresented in the sale ads. I had already paid so I was screwed.

It was not a FUN experience.

#8 2 years ago

Yeah, I couldn't do it - I have trust issues. I've got to play it, open it up, maybe haggle a bit based on condition and, sometimes, walk away. YMMV

You haven't seen anything around the PA/OH/IN area?

#9 2 years ago

Yes,,,,, as long as they have quite a few positive feedbacks. May even want to PM previous buyers of the seller . There’s always a bit of risk involved but if you follow through with checking them out , shouldn’t be a problem. Also don’t get to excited and jump right away without checking them out, ask them if you can have as many closeup pics as possible and if you can call them with questions before purchase. Steer clear if they don’t follow through with what info you want. I had a Pin shipped across the country with no problems and looked exactly how it was posted ,,,,asked lots of questions

#10 2 years ago

There are a lot of AFMs out there.....i'd wait til one was within a few hundred miles.

#11 2 years ago

No. It sounds like you’re at the stage where you should be talking a knowledgeable friend with you for inspection even if you’re buying local.

Buying one you can’t inspect in person carries additional risk.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ctown72:

Would you buy a used pin. That you can not inspect or look at in person. I am kinda new at this. It would have to be shipped across the country. What are some of the right questions to ask.... I can only go by pictures and I am no expert.

POTC circa 2015ish? Straight off route, guessing chucke cheese.
    Mystery Castle 2017/2018 from a guy off rgp, broken, missing parts, dirty
    Last Action Hero, in a fire, missing boards
    Mousin Around stored in a barn
    Jolly Park - playable but had issues
    AMH - HUO but non-working

All but one were as advertised. One was doa and had a few things that were off compared to how it was presented, but I did alright no complaints. The ones I have had trouble with were in person trades where we met part way.

That said, there better be a high risk/reward ratio to make it worthwhile.

#13 2 years ago

since you are new I would make the drive to get your first.

#14 2 years ago

I would not recommend it. The chances that you'll be disappointed are pretty high.

I'd look for a local alternative and even though it may not be your first choice you just might stumble across a game that you wind up preferring (or at least liking as much). If there's a show nearby I'd start there. Find a game that's fun and affordable and if it survives a pinball show, there's a good chance it is reliable. Also, and perhaps more importantly, you just might make a pinball friend who can help you learn the ropes.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

since you are new I would make the drive to get your first.

Agreed. Lots of risks even when you are experienced. I did it once and never again. Game had a ton of issues and took a lot of time and money to sort out. I guess it worked out in the end but frustrating experience.

Few things to consider - you might be able to get someone experience to look at a game for you. I've seen people offer to do this. They can at least confirm the game is real and if it plays okay. Don't be afraid to take a long road trip. Longest trip I did was 14 hour round trip and totally doable in a day.

#16 2 years ago

I appreciate the input, I think I am going to hold off for now. It seems like the popular pins sell real fast and the prices are higher.
    Feels like the housing market, a lot of interest, higher prices and you have to make a decision real fast or it will sell. Hopefully I can find one closer so I can look
    At it. These newer pins show home many
    Times they were played, what year did that
    Start. Does that help when buying, can that number be changed.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ctown72:

newer pins show home many
    Start.

It started with mechanical play meters. Dates back at least to the sixties, probably much longer.

#18 2 years ago

No way.

#19 2 years ago

If the photos are good enough and the seller sounds forthcoming and like they understand what they're selling (and has a history), you should be okay. I've bought over 30 via shipping, not one was a lemon or in any way less than what I expected. But you being new to this, people are right, get your feet wet with a few local purchases first.

edit: If you'd like some help/opinions on this listing specifically, feel free to PM me.

#20 2 years ago

Seems to be quite a few Ohio pinball players/collectors.Maybe you could contact them for advice and possible local deals.Use the pinball map.Most of us are really good people.

#21 2 years ago

Absolutely! Bought a Quicksilver for $250 only a few years back. The owner said that while I was driving to pick up the game someone asked for pictures. To the "other" almost owner of a $250 Quicksilver. Here is your picture. LOL!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.03.48 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.03.48 PM (resized).png
    #22 2 years ago

I don’t buy unless I can inspect myself. I would wait for one to come for sale closer to you personally.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ctown72:

I appreciate the input, I think I am going to hold off for now. It seems like the popular pins sell real fast and the prices are higher.
    Feels like the housing market, a lot of interest, higher prices and you have to make a decision real fast or it will sell. Hopefully I can find one closer so I can look
    At it. These newer pins show home many
    Start. Does that help when buying, can that number be changed.

Don’t make a correlation to the housing market, there are some Pinside members that will go “postal” on you!

In all seriousness, great hobby, start with one that you can afford to fix if needed. This site has a ton of great members that will help you!

#24 2 years ago

Yes, picked up a GB from a nice pinsider in Vancouver. Messaged first, then spoke on the phone, pin shipped through Nitro. Smooth transaction and was exactly what I was looking for.

#25 2 years ago

Your risk isn't only with the sellers; it's with the freight companies too. Freight isn't always bad, but a handful of experiences left me wondering if its worth rolling the dice. For the past couple years I drove a pin-hauler, picked-up my purchases and gave them a nice cushioned ride home. It can be fun; plan a road trip, enjoy the sights and the adventure.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ctown72:

No, I actually bid 900 on one on
    eBay 7 years ago on a mr and mrs Pac-Man and won. The guy was local. This newer pin are real expensive compared to back then. I live near Cleveland..... I would lik an attack from Mars, but am looking at buying theater of magic. Just do not want to get burned. The guy has has it for 6 year now and lives across the country.

TOM should be within a couple hundred miles (driving distance) of your area every now and then maybe now.
    I would wait.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-pin-that-is-not-located-near-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.