Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image1 (resized).png
    qqqqqqqqq (resized).jpg
    rollergames3 (resized).jpg
    rollergames1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 4 years ago

I’m not going to worry about this until it happens. And then I’ll have another reason not to buy someone’s game.

There are ALOT of pinballs I’ve never played and even more that I’ve never owned. I could go the rest of my days never buying a new game. That’s not what I want, But I’ll be damned if I’ll watch ads on something I paid thousands for, for recreation...in my home!

I’d probably avoid these games on route too. Just to spite the motherfuckers.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

No cable or satellite TV in your house?

No comparison. TV only existed because of ads. In fact, when cable and satellite TV originated, their whole pitch was NO ADs. Of course that didn’t last long. The basis for television based entertainment is commercial advertising. It goes with the territory and pretty much always has. This is acceptable to me if not annoying.

Advertising in the movie theatre. This is a drag, but what are you gonna do? You’re a captive audience. Product placement? Who cares.

But one of the reasons I play pinball is to escape those exact kinds of intrusions. That’s part of the zen of it. Advertisements would ruin that. I’m certainly not going to spend thousands of dollars for that. I’m going to reinvent my entertainment practices if that happened.

Now, is a full featured, NIB Stern Pro could be had for $1k, because they reserve the right to advertise, that would certainly be a reasonable trade off, but I’d have to see it in practice before I invested in it, because, again, Being annoyed while playing pinball isn’t part of the equation for me.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from wamoc:

My thoughts is I would be ok if the ads were non-intrusive and fit in well with the design. If the ads were like "watch this minute long ad before your next ball" then I would never play that game.

Yes, this.

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Remember in the original Rocky when Rocky came to the ring with the ad on the back of his robe and how shameful that was?
    And now you're a nobody unless you are slathered with ads. Times change.

Everybody’s a shill these days, and the current generation doesn’t seem to care. As long as they get paid. Corporations and big business rule the roost, despite the fact that they care nothing about people and society and, in fact, are doing there best to eliminate people from their operations equation. People rail against right and left wing conspiracies, bit few actually question authority. The cops and the military - and the policies directing them - can practically do no wrong, but legitimate media is deemed a sham.

Scary stuff. I play pinball to stop thinking about this stuff, not to be reminded of it.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well media is indeed $$ over facts these days, but then, so is the rest of the world.

Fuck media. I’m talking about legitimate journalism and news agencies with dedicated journalists and staff that care about their craft and showing the world as it is. Let’s not conflate clickbait bullshit and pompous sensationalism with real craft and care. Real journalism for chrissakes. Do people even know what it is? Are they that broken?

That so many people want to castigate and deny people that devote their lives to being a lens to reality; a check to “business as usual”; and a counterbalance to the inequities of a status quo is disturbing and shameful.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

For everyone that says 'so and so is legitimate' there's two more who say it isn't. It's no wonder no one knows who to believe. People don't have time to dissect every bit of information they are given for truth. They are too busy trying to stay afloat. If you want to point to the people who get their news from Facebook, you probably have a point and an easy solution to THAT problem is to ban feeds or any kind of news / information reels on it altogether. Never going to happen. Additionally, when your major networks and larger news outlets can't even be trusted to get the news right and not be biased or flat out opinion shows disguised as actual news the average person is screwed (at least in this country).
    Now that people think Twitter and Instagram additionally are their news feeds, and most corporations following suite it's a downhill race to the bottom.

Please spare me. People trust practically everything in their lives to be ok. Food, water, roads, medicine, medical attention, the clothes they wear, the electronics they buy. EVERYTHING!!

But in the last 10 years or so, certain people, have decided that certain completely valid news organizations - The NY Times, The LA Times, The Washington Post, the BBC, the Economist, the London Times, the Atlantic, the New Yorker, and many, many more, are totally biased and untrustworthy. BULLSHIT! Why? Because the people these news agencies expose as liars and hucksters and sociopaths react defensively and cry “fake news”? What a crock of shit. Last time I checked, everyone accused of doing something wrong casts aspersions on their accusers. What about the thousands of people that study and pay dues and devote their lives to investigating and researching the news, and reporting it? These people are liars? These people all have an agenda and are part of some vast conspiracy to lie to EVERYONE else! Bullshit!! They should be lionized! And yet you say “How can I know what’s really true”? Weak sauce jack. Pathetic.

Just fuck off on that. Most of the people that refuse to believe anything or that are crying “fake news” don’t dissect jack shit. They’re spoon fed sheep that suckle on the status quo and haven’t lifted a finger to learn or understand the truth or much of anything that wasn’t fed them by someone they fear for their entire lives. And when the truth hits them square upside the head like a cast iron frying pan they cry “FAKE NEWS”!

Nothing is infallible. Certainly not the media, so if you’re going to start enumerating the things The NY Times has gotten wrong over the years spare me. Donald Trump lies more in a month than The NY Times has gotten wrong in the last 10 years. Probably more.

What do you believe in dude? Your gut? What has your gut ever done to earn anyone’s respect?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-be-okay-with-product-placement-on-a-pinball-if-it-lowered-th?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.