Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image1 (resized).png
    qqqqqqqqq (resized).jpg
    rollergames3 (resized).jpg
    rollergames1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I was looking at my JP2, which has the Barbasol shaving can mod, and wondered why wouldn't Stern go to Barbasol and try to get a few bucks to add this themselves? Then I started thinking about advertising on pinballs. Rumor is that Stern is adding wifi. Wasn't sure why or how it would help pinball. Then the evil thoughts came. What if they plan on selling ad space on the screen in attract mode. Touchtunes has done it for years. Next would be ads between balls, similar to phone apps.
    If this was presented to you either as an operator or homeowner would you be okay with it, if it lowered cost by several hundred bucks.
    The next evil thought to cross my mind...is this the reason for the huge price increases for the last few years. Now they can roll back to 2016 prices and tell us they are looking out for their customers.
    Again, these are just some random thoughts to cross my mind. I am not in the loop. I have not heard any rumors.

#3 4 years ago

Trust me when I say I dont want any of it. But in a scary way it could be reality one day.

I remember way back when we got our first Killer Instict video game. We plug it in and the first thing that it said was an advertisement for the nintendo 64 version coming that christmas.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thinking back, there is 100% historical precedent for product placement in pinball. Roller Games and Slugfest had it for starters.

I did think of roller games.i think that was more about the sponsorship of the teams in the show(yes I actually watched it late night saturdays). There was also the "say no to drugs" campaign. I'm sure that got them some kind of tax break.

#9 4 years ago

Let's try a different approach. What ifthe new Sterns have wifi. Then they get the okay to do Back to the Future with no restrictions from the studio. As part of the agreement all universal movies will get ad spots for 24 months on all pinballs. This is for all the BTTF fanboys, will you sell your soul to get your dream theme.

#16 4 years ago

I just think that instead of consistently raising prices and cutting quality, someone needs to drum up new revenue. If TMNT is being produced, someone needs to be on the phone with Domino or Papa John trying to offset costs. As long as the placement is tasteful and not, as it was mentioned before a giant bill board, it should be fine. I definitely dont want my game looking like a nascar.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why do you think this would lower prices?
    Stern prices these at what we (the market) are willing to pay, and that's why they have been increasing over time. The prices have nothing to do with the costs or anything else.
    If they were to generate additional revenue from advertising or product placement, it wouldn't change what they price the games at, it would just be additional profit for Stern.

Product placement wouldn't lower the price. Now if they go the route of touchtunes and golden tee they will need to kickback profit sharing to the operators.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

If advertising is p art of the theme (rollergames, NASCAR) then i have no problem
    But if i had to wait for an ad to roll on rhe display between each ball , then i would have issues

This is the type of thinking that scares me.

With both touchtunes and gt, when they introduced ads on screen the prices got cheaper to get more units out. More units means more they can charge advertisers. It could be something like a premium pin at pro prices but you need to sign a contract or they charge full price but give back x amount for each month its online for 2 or 3 years.

I doubt any of this will happen. I just thought why would they need to connect to the internet. Cant use credit cards. Maybe some kind of app for league play or tournaments. Can't really compare scores from game to game because every game plays different

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

No I don't want Pinstadium ads covering my new pinball machine. That's what this would turn into.

Could you imagine playing in a tourney and between every ball there was a 15 second advertisement for pinstadium

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

With current technology Stern could beam advertisements in whether you agreed or not. A win-win for a direct conduit to passive audiences and guaranteed continuous income for the Manufacturer.

They would need to disclose that they plan on advertising on your machine. Back when tablets first hit the market, amazon dropped the amazon fire. While any decent tablet was still 4 or 5 hundred and junk tablets about $200, they had a nice 7" model for $100. The catch was it had built in ads. So you got an option of paying more without ads or save a chunk of cash and deal with pop ups occasionally. With touchtunes we needed to give permission for them to sell ads on our jukes. We get a piece of the profit or we can opt out.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Seems like re-themeing BKSOR to be a "Bud-Light Knight" machine would be a no-brainer.
    "Ball 3 is brought you by Anhauser-Busch...Flip Responsibly"

I bet all the brewery beercades would love one of these.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-be-okay-with-product-placement-on-a-pinball-if-it-lowered-th?tu=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.