41 days ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy.gif
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image1 (resized).png
    qqqqqqqqq (resized).jpg
    rollergames3 (resized).jpg
    rollergames1 (resized).jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 41 days ago

I was looking at my JP2, which has the Barbasol shaving can mod, and wondered why wouldn't Stern go to Barbasol and try to get a few bucks to add this themselves? Then I started thinking about advertising on pinballs. Rumor is that Stern is adding wifi. Wasn't sure why or how it would help pinball. Then the evil thoughts came. What if they plan on selling ad space on the screen in attract mode. Touchtunes has done it for years. Next would be ads between balls, similar to phone apps.
    If this was presented to you either as an operator or homeowner would you be okay with it, if it lowered cost by several hundred bucks.
    The next evil thought to cross my mind...is this the reason for the huge price increases for the last few years. Now they can roll back to 2016 prices and tell us they are looking out for their customers.
    Again, these are just some random thoughts to cross my mind. I am not in the loop. I have not heard any rumors.

#2 41 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I was looking at my JP2, which has the Barbasol shaving can mod, and wondered why wouldn't Stern go to Barbasol and try to get a few bucks to add this themselves?

The shaving can mod itself is probably the least horrible thing you have mentioned here; which is saying something

But no i would not be ok with it.

#3 41 days ago

Trust me when I say I dont want any of it. But in a scary way it could be reality one day.

I remember way back when we got our first Killer Instict video game. We plug it in and the first thing that it said was an advertisement for the nintendo 64 version coming that christmas.

#4 41 days ago

No I don't want Pinstadium ads covering my new pinball machine. That's what this would turn into.

#5 41 days ago

Thinking back, there is 100% historical precedent for product placement in pinball. Roller Games and Slugfest had it for starters.
    rollergames1 (resized).jpgrollergames3 (resized).jpg

qqqqqqqqq (resized).jpg
    #6 41 days ago

Maybe I'm oversimplifying here, but isn't any themed/licensed machine just really a big billboard for the property? Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc. For most non-pinheads they are banking on the theme to bring in your time and money. Sometimes the company logo is prominently on the game or even in the game line Sopranos/HBO. Stranger Things has the Netflix logo, Walking Dead has AMC...I think we are already there my friend . A lot of the 90s DMD games had ads for other pins or games in them...my DE JP has an ad for DE LAH in the attract mode, some of the Williams games had Mortal Kombat 3 stuff in them...Rollergames is practically a 90's marketing exec wet dream.

#7 41 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Thinking back, there is 100% historical precedent for product placement in pinball. Roller Games and Slugfest had it for starters.

I did think of roller games.i think that was more about the sponsorship of the teams in the show(yes I actually watched it late night saturdays). There was also the "say no to drugs" campaign. I'm sure that got them some kind of tax break.

#8 41 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I did think of roller games.i think that was more about the sponsorship of the teams in the show(yes I actually watched it late night saturdays). There was also the "say no to drugs" campaign. I'm sure that got them some kind of tax break.

How about Subway, Oscar Meyer, and Louis Rich in Slugfest?

#9 41 days ago

Let's try a different approach. What ifthe new Sterns have wifi. Then they get the okay to do Back to the Future with no restrictions from the studio. As part of the agreement all universal movies will get ad spots for 24 months on all pinballs. This is for all the BTTF fanboys, will you sell your soul to get your dream theme.

#10 41 days ago

In gaming there used to a be a lot of product placement but it never really worked out. If its super subtle and really fits in seamlessly it can be good for the game and the advertiser. The issue is that kind of effort ends up costing more money than its worth. Sadly Stern doesn't really seem to look at other industries and see how things went. I can see them slapping quick easy big ugly ads in their games to try and get a quick buck.

#11 41 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes.

And there's 0% historical precedent for it lowering the sticker price on a pinball machine.

#12 41 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

What ifthe new Sterns have wifi.

Wait until you turn it on and see the ransomware message telling you to send bitcoin before you can play.

It’s referred to as the Internet of Shit by security professionals. Almost no manufacturer of IoT devices puts resources towards security. Pinball isn’t likely to change that.

#13 41 days ago

I'm actually a little surprised that Stern (or somebody) hasn't done some sort of co-branded machine (other than the silly Supreme thing).

I could easily see a "Bud-Light" pinball machine being targeted for bars or a Coke/Pepsi machine. I would think that would be better (and probably more effective - both for the operator and for Budweiser) than a pop-up ad for Budweiser in the middle of the game (or during attract mode).

#14 41 days ago
    pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
    #16 41 days ago

I just think that instead of consistently raising prices and cutting quality, someone needs to drum up new revenue. If TMNT is being produced, someone needs to be on the phone with Domino or Papa John trying to offset costs. As long as the placement is tasteful and not, as it was mentioned before a giant bill board, it should be fine. I definitely dont want my game looking like a nascar.

#17 41 days ago

Why do you think this would lower prices?

Stern prices these at what we (the market) are willing to pay, and that's why they have been increasing over time. The prices have nothing to do with the costs or anything else.

If they were to generate additional revenue from advertising or product placement, it wouldn't change what they price the games at, it would just be additional profit for Stern.

#18 41 days ago
    giphy.gif
    #19 41 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why do you think this would lower prices?
    Stern prices these at what we (the market) are willing to pay, and that's why they have been increasing over time. The prices have nothing to do with the costs or anything else.
    If they were to generate additional revenue from advertising or product placement, it wouldn't change what they price the games at, it would just be additional profit for Stern.

Product placement wouldn't lower the price. Now if they go the route of touchtunes and golden tee they will need to kickback profit sharing to the operators.

#20 40 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Product placement wouldn't lower the price.

It would only add to the manufacturers' profit.

#21 40 days ago

If advertising is p art of the theme (rollergames, NASCAR) then i have no problem
    But if i had to wait for an ad to roll on rhe display between each ball , then i would have issues

#22 40 days ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

If advertising is p art of the theme (rollergames, NASCAR) then i have no problem
    But if i had to wait for an ad to roll on rhe display between each ball , then i would have issues

Actually you touch upon something there....might be something to add to the game where an operator could add advertisements to a pin. In between balls an advertisement comes up on the screen. For JJP machines it would be noticed more then Stern. For the home use you turn the option off if you dont want it.

#23 40 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Product placement wouldn't lower the price.

Quoted from freeplay3:

Now they can roll back to 2016 prices

?

#24 40 days ago

Isn't a theme like a movie, tv show, band, or superhero already product placement?
    We pay extra for that!

#25 40 days ago

I would think that Wifi would installed for updates.

#26 40 days ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

This is the type of thinking that scares me.

With both touchtunes and gt, when they introduced ads on screen the prices got cheaper to get more units out. More units means more they can charge advertisers. It could be something like a premium pin at pro prices but you need to sign a contract or they charge full price but give back x amount for each month its online for 2 or 3 years.

I doubt any of this will happen. I just thought why would they need to connect to the internet. Cant use credit cards. Maybe some kind of app for league play or tournaments. Can't really compare scores from game to game because every game plays different

#27 40 days ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

No I don't want Pinstadium ads covering my new pinball machine. That's what this would turn into.

Could you imagine playing in a tourney and between every ball there was a 15 second advertisement for pinstadium

#28 40 days ago

Does product placement reduce the price of movie tickets?

#29 40 days ago

Jersey Jack Daniels Jackpot.

#30 40 days ago

I see this happening...and no, the price will not go down. If anything, the revenue would go back to the manufacturer or the operator.

#31 40 days ago

The Domino’s pizza pinball falls straight into that. And they could pay me that I would still not put one in my room.

#32 40 days ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I just think that instead of consistently raising prices and cutting quality, someone needs to drum up new revenue. If TMNT is being produced, someone needs to be on the phone with Domino or Papa John trying to offset costs. As long as the placement is tasteful and not, as it was mentioned before a giant bill board, it should be fine. I definitely dont want my game looking like a nascar.

First you have to convince the company it's more valuable to them.. than it is to you.

If they went to subway today and said "pay us and we'll put your name on our game"... They go "PFFFFT.. you will pay us to use our brand in your game"

Which is why things like the truck in JP are custom and not established companies. It's pretty hard to do that if your whole pitch is "well we plan on selling 2 thousand units to this niche community...".

Basically someone just has to make a convincing argument.. and more likely you need something else that is a bigger draw, than just the game itself. Selling the ability to be associated with something...

#33 40 days ago

Only if I can pay for it not be there.

#34 40 days ago

Yeah those Supreme t-shirts sure are cheap because of the product placement.

#35 40 days ago

With current technology Stern could beam advertisements in whether you agreed or not. A win-win for a direct conduit to passive audiences and guaranteed continuous income for the Manufacturer.

#36 40 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

With current technology Stern could beam advertisements in whether you agreed or not. A win-win for a direct conduit to passive audiences and guaranteed continuous income for the Manufacturer.

I suggested that possibility with Pinball 2000. To help defray costs. You were going to be able to scan your card and have your score and picture on the internet. So why not advertising too ?

LTG : )

#37 40 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

To “beam” anything I would require the machine to be connected to WiFi, machine owner just has to disc the WiFi.

With today’s technology no matter what someone comes up with there’s someone right behind them figuring out how to hack it.

#38 40 days ago

I remember when cable TV was coming on in the 70s. The big stick cable was beating everyone with was NO commercials. My sister could not stop talking about cable and the NO commercials gig.

It was years later before I finally got cable and the first thing I noticed was all of the phucking commercials. And after midnite all that was showing was gobs of infomercials and The History Channel that was nothing but reruns. I kicked cable out of my house in 2004 and never looked back. I just could not deal with me actually paying for a product that half the programming was commercials.

So, no to commercials or anything that smells like them. If I want a new pin I would just rather buy the pin without wi-fi.

Netflix is still commercial free but youtube is starting to amp things up with the commercials, but I do not pay for youtube so I am cool with that.

#39 40 days ago

When targeting home users with luxury toys, the pinball machine needs to be the product not the owner of the machine to an advertiser. Period.

#40 40 days ago

Barbasol, being such a high end home product, might make the licensing fees a little too much for this company.

#41 40 days ago

I’m not going to worry about this until it happens. And then I’ll have another reason not to buy someone’s game.

There are ALOT of pinballs I’ve never played and even more that I’ve never owned. I could go the rest of my days never buying a new game. That’s not what I want, But I’ll be damned if I’ll watch ads on something I paid thousands for, for recreation...in my home!

I’d probably avoid these games on route too. Just to spite the motherfuckers.

#42 40 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Barbasol, being such a high end home product, might make the licensing fees a little too much for this company.

They could do the old Burma Shave signs in a row thing on each Stern release, so there is a message as you walk down a row of Stern games and read each sign!

#43 40 days ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

But I’ll be damned if I’ll watch ads on something I paid thousands for

No cable or satellite TV in your house?

#44 40 days ago

Remember in the original Rocky when Rocky came to the ring with the ad on the back of his robe and how shameful that was?

And now you're a nobody unless you are slathered with ads. Times change.

#45 40 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

They would need to disclose that they plan on advertising on your machine. Back when tablets first hit the market, amazon dropped the amazon fire. While any decent tablet was still 4 or 5 hundred and junk tablets about $200, they had a nice 7" model for $100. The catch was it had built in ads. So you got an option of paying more without ads or save a chunk of cash and deal with pop ups occasionally. With touchtunes we needed to give permission for them to sell ads on our jukes. We get a piece of the profit or we can opt out.

#46 40 days ago

My thoughts is I would be ok if the ads were non-intrusive and fit in well with the design. If the ads were like "watch this minute long ad before your next ball" then I would never play that game.

#47 40 days ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I don't know about anyone else but I used to have a 10 foot dish in the back yard 30 years ago when you could watch all kinds of stuff. And then the scramblers got put on so you had to start subscribing--and-paying--to see anything. I quit using the satellite.

In 2004, I got tired of the cable with all of its advertisements ( a 30 minute show was 10 minutes worth of ads. At 1am it was ALL infomercials ). I kicked cable out of the house. Three months later my girl friend did the same thing. Later on, we did a little traveling and noticed that the cable offerings on motel TV sucked wind.

With youtube and Netflix, I am doing fine.

#48 40 days ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

No comparison. TV only existed because of ads. In fact, when cable and satellite TV originated, their whole pitch was NO ADs. Of course that didn’t last long. The basis for television based entertainment is commercial advertising. It goes with the territory and pretty much always has. This is acceptable to me if not annoying.

Advertising in the movie theatre. This is a drag, but what are you gonna do? You’re a captive audience. Product placement? Who cares.

But one of the reasons I play pinball is to escape those exact kinds of intrusions. That’s part of the zen of it. Advertisements would ruin that. I’m certainly not going to spend thousands of dollars for that. I’m going to reinvent my entertainment practices if that happened.

Now, is a full featured, NIB Stern Pro could be had for $1k, because they reserve the right to advertise, that would certainly be a reasonable trade off, but I’d have to see it in practice before I invested in it, because, again, Being annoyed while playing pinball isn’t part of the equation for me.

#49 40 days ago
    Quoted from wamoc:

My thoughts is I would be ok if the ads were non-intrusive and fit in well with the design. If the ads were like "watch this minute long ad before your next ball" then I would never play that game.

Yes, this.

#50 40 days ago

We need 30 second ad breaks playing on the LCD screen in between balls! Who's with me!

And just to be sure you watched the ad, at the end it displays a flipper combination you must hit before continuing!

Now on a serious note, isn't pretty much every licensed pinball product placement already?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 27.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 47.00
    $ 35.00
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.50
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside