(Topic ID: 241022)

Would you be interested in a Beetlejuice Pin made by JJP?

By f3honda4me

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in a Beetlejuice pinball?”

• Yes 159 votes
      51%
    • No 152 votes
      49%

(311 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

55-22599-ab4_85638-1432851468 (resized).jpg
    attic-1024x576 (resized).png
    8C70222E-3604-4F77-9B53-F155A44E0C52 (resized).jpeg
    8d50e9a26aba2917cd80301ca2bc9e4b257f4adae2cabf3d9c2058f4f6b4c4a5 (resized).jpg
    2ED8246D-66B2-4356-8EF3-AE71DC4817D9 (resized).png
    beetlejuice (resized).png
    Screen-Shot-2019-04-13-at-8.35.59-PM (resized).png

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I think this would easily be a must have in many collections, and for me personally would be one of several grail themes. It's fun to think about the endless possibilities this pin could have. I grabbed this image from TWIP where Christopher Franchi made a backglass artwork in hopes that someday he'd get to be a part of a Beetlejuice pin. It's a beautiful piece, hell I'd buy a translite with this on it and mount it on my wall lol. I was listening to the TWIP podcast 42 where they talked about this, and it would be pretty sweet if JJP got hold of it.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-13-at-8.35.59-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2019-04-13-at-8.35.59-PM (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

Nope. Don't think it's a strong enough IP to make a game that grabs enough people, but maybe that's just my perception. Not that I have a bunch of better suggestions, just not my thing. I would like to see JJP make an action hero game, maybe Captain Marvel? Since that genre is so Stern heavy I'd like to see what JJP could do. I mean the PoTC comparison is already there and I know who wins that.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Nope. Don't think it's a strong enough IP to make a game that grabs enough people, but maybe that's just my perception. Not that I have a bunch of better suggestions, just not my thing. I would like to see JJP make an action hero game, maybe Captain Marvel? Since that genre is so Stern heavy I'd like to see what JJP could do. I mean the PoTC comparison is already there and I know who wins that.

Fair enough, no wrong opinions here!

#4 4 years ago

Rather see Stern do it.

#5 4 years ago

It's my wife's favourite movie, she was really hoping this would get made. Real bummer.

#6 4 years ago

Good question! Franchi's art is spot on, and JJP does playful better than anyone. Doubt he'd cross over, but man I'd love to hear Michael Keaton call-outs in a game.

One can dream.....

Just imagine the sandworms as wireform like tunnels.

#7 4 years ago

I think it’s an awesome theme with lots of potential.
    Bummer nobody’s picked it up.

#8 4 years ago

I think that chris and stern purposely put the info out there to gauge interest and have free marketing. See- it got pinside and the pinball Community talking and it didn’t cost them a dime. Very smart on their part to put out the info of potential pin and see everyone’s opinions.

#9 4 years ago

#10 4 years ago

I’m really not interested in much jjp has to offer at their current prices.

#11 4 years ago

I have other movies I'd want made 1st but this could be really fun.

#12 4 years ago

Absolutely. JJP Beetlejuice? Yes, please.

I still have Beetlejuice as one of the 5 pins I want to own, but not sure if it’ll ever happen.

Beetlejuice by Stern? Maybe not.

#13 4 years ago

This tells me that people at Stern are more passionate about World Poker Tours than Beetlejuice...

#14 4 years ago

Would be awesome! I also thought Charlie and the chocolate factory would be amazing too. Up until the art, the price and the lack of innovation killed it for me

#15 4 years ago

I’d like to see
    jJp tackle
    Some
    NON movie things.

All of
    Their licenses so far have been movies. Let’s
    See
    Something new.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’d like to see
    jJp tackle
    Some
    NON movie things.
    All of
    See
    Something new.

Dialed In.

#18 4 years ago

This and a Pink Floyd pinball are my dream machines if done right.

#19 4 years ago

My thoughts. And I loved the movie as a kid. Enjoyed the cartoon a little bit. And I enjoy the movie now that I'm an adult. Haven't seen it in a long time. Last time I saw it was in the hospital while my father had a brain hemorrhage and I was in the waiting room with my family. My pops is alright...
    I think the pin is a better property than a lot of more popular themes. I think the creativity in playfield, animations and callouts could be top notch and could trump many other themes out there.
    Think about the toys and the modes.
    Lock 1... Beetlejuice... Lock 2... Beattle Juice... Lock 3... Beetlejuice... Its SHOWTIME!!!!!
    The match animation would have to be his shrunken head or something to do about the waiting list.
    Is this a dream theme for me... No... But, as pinball goes... This has to be up there with the potential.

Like... I like the Warriors better as a movie. Huge Walter Hill fan, own all his movies, love James Remar. But, as a pin... Beetlejuie has better potential.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’d like to see
    jJp tackle
    Some
    NON movie things.
    All of
    See
    Something new.

You’ll like the next game...

#21 4 years ago

I love this movie. Seen it recently. My answer is nope, hope it's not done. And the reason is I just don't think it's a great pin theme. You can have a fun movie, with amazing visuals, and great lines, and all the raw ingredients on paper, but if you sit down and really think about playing it 100 times? It doesn't work for me.

I think that with the advent of LCD screens movies as licenses are real double edged swords. On a DMD you could have a painful swing and miss at times (Stern's Indiana Jones was a game we talked about often during Alien production as a "how to not do a movie license") but generally you kept things short and to the point and focused on the game. As it should be. This is pinball, not a movie theater.

But now you can play whole long boring clips, and you end up with a mess like Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't want to see Beetlejuice turned into a fancy DVD player. And the scenes are very 'talky', there's not a lot of actual raw action. It's a pretty slow movie honestly, outside of a few specific scenes. Would be a tough one to cut up into a faced paced thing. And the best scenes would get old if I saw them every time I played the game.

Now if you said "the world of Beetlejuice, not the movie, and it's original stuff really built for a pin" I'm interested! But at that point you might as well skip the license and go original, because it's not a name that carries enough weight if it's not also bringing a bunch of clips and assets.

But the most important part is the thing Franchi said already. I want games done by teams that love their work. If you're not feeling it? Find another fish in the sea, you'll make a better game with something you really know and love and care about.

#22 4 years ago

Yes. It would. I loved Cary making his case for this with Zach on the latest TWIP podcast. The multiball description alone was epic.

I'd buy it. It has as much license panache as a lot of other pins out there. Iron Maiden. The Shadow. Congo? All great pins IMO but if you judge their merit based on the theme, it's a tough sell.

#23 4 years ago

Great theme and tons of toys/gimmicks that could go along with it.
    I love it!

#24 4 years ago

If we're talking pins bases on Tim Burton movies, I would rather see Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
    Although this is cool as well.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’d like to see
    jJp tackle
    Some
    NON movie things.
    All of
    See
    Something new.

Aren't they supposed to do GNR?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I love this movie. Seen it recently. My answer is nope, hope it's not done. And the reason is I just don't think it's a great pin theme. You can have a fun movie, with amazing visuals, and great lines, and all the raw ingredients on paper, but if you sit down and really think about playing it 100 times? It doesn't work for me.
    I think that with the advent of LCD screens movies as licenses are real double edged swords. On a DMD you could have a painful swing and miss at times (Stern's Indiana Jones was a game we talked about often during Alien production as a "how to not do a movie license") but generally you kept things short and to the point and focused on the game. As it should be. This is pinball, not a movie theater.
    But now you can play whole long boring clips, and you end up with a mess like Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't want to see Beetlejuice turned into a fancy DVD player. And the scenes are very 'talky', there's not a lot of actual raw action. It's a pretty slow movie honestly, outside of a few specific scenes. Would be a tough one to cut up into a faced paced thing. And the best scenes would get old if I saw them every time I played the game.
    Now if you said "the world of Beetlejuice, not the movie, and it's original stuff really built for a pin" I'm interested! But at that point you might as well skip the license and go original, because it's not a name that carries enough weight if it's not also bringing a bunch of clips and assets.
    But the most important part is the thing Franchi said already. I want games done by teams that love their work. If you're not feeling it? Find another fish in the sea, you'll make a better game with something you really know and love and care about.

Thank God you discussed how not to make Aliens and your reference was Stern Indiana Jones. Sterns Indiana Jones sucks donkey balls. I bought it based on theme and sold it before I burned it. Alien is Brilliant!

QSS

#27 4 years ago

I would be in the line to buy that game. Whomever did that mock up artwork did an amazing job!!!!

#28 4 years ago

Not sure why people complain about licenses being unknown to most people. It's pretty much equal to non-licensed games for them then right? If it's fun to play and looks good then I'm not sure what the problem is.

#29 4 years ago

As is often said in the other "dream" theme topics when this title come up, say it 3X

Betelguece
    Beat el geauce
    Beetlejuice

DONE.

#30 4 years ago

Absolutely. Titles like the Munsters doesn't hit this households demographic. Too old. Beetlejuice would resonate well with myself and wife as we grew up and enjoyed both the cartoon and movie. As mentioned on a podcast the other day locking a ball and hearing "Beetlejuce" to a total of 3 times before multiball and "It's showtime!" would be killer. JJP would do this theme justice.

beetlejuice (resized).pngbeetlejuice (resized).png
    #31 4 years ago

Yeah, i would have to get one. Preferably done by JJP and not Stern.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from WODKA:

Not sure why people complain about licenses being unknown to most people. It's pretty much equal to non-licensed games for them then right? If it's fun to play and looks good then I'm not sure what the problem is.

While I prefer more unique themes, you cannot deny the power of a good license. Hype markets the game for free, presales go through the roof, and they get a ton of plays on location.

I guess Beetlejuice would be as good as any movie theme but don't think it would resonate with that many people. It's a dark theme with dark humor from an old 80's movie. Pretty niche theme for an already niche industry.

#33 4 years ago

100% Id be interested regardless of who makes it.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But now you can play whole long boring clips, and you end up with a mess like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. GOTG was kind of a dream theme for me as I love the movies, and after playing the game on location for a bit, I had to have one. So I got one, put the Cleland mix on it and initially loved it. Unfortunately after about 6 months in a home environment it got to the point where if I heard the line "You've got the best eyebrows in the business" one more time..I was going to shoot myself. After reading the title of this thread I was initially all in as I love Beetlejuice, but I guess it depends on how the audio/movie clips would be implemented.

#35 4 years ago

I would love a Beetlejuice pin definitely one of my dream themes and if the game is done right i would definitely purchase one.

#36 4 years ago

No interest. Just don’t think it’s a powerful franchise.

#37 4 years ago

WAY better theme for a pin than Wonka. Juice would be awesome.

#38 4 years ago

I thought Beetlejuice is that goofball that is on Howard Stern's show every once in awhile.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I thought Beetlejuice is that goofball that is on Howard Stern' s show every once in awhile.

I'd be in for one of those too. haha.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Fair enough, no wrong opinions here!

This is pinside. The correct response was to insult this person's intelligence... I reported your post to the mods for not being an asshole.

I think beetlejuice would be an awesome theme with quite a bit of draw. Betelgeuse multiball anyone? Danny Elfman music would fit pinball so well. That being said I would be down for a Nightmare Before Christmas from JJP as well.

#41 4 years ago

It looks like that picture has been removed from his Facebook feed. The TWIP story mentions that this was on Stern’s list of possible titles and that none of the designers chose it. Does that mean that Stern already secured the rights? It sounds like it’s just waiting for a designer that is a Betelgeuse fan.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Betelgeuse multiball anyone? Danny Elfman music would fit pinball so well. That being said I would be down for a Nightmare Before Christmas from JJP as well.

Betelgeuse multiball?!

How’d you come up with that? Somebody give this guy a job in pinball design!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Betelgeuse multiball?!

I got a million of em. I am looking for a new job too so maybe? I'd rather write the code though...

#44 4 years ago

I could not see JJP doing beetlejuice since they tend to do more family friendly themes. Would make a great pin though!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

This is pinside. The correct response was to insult this person's intelligence... I reported your post to the mods for not being an asshole.

#46 4 years ago

Would love it if done right. Cool theme with plenty to work with

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Betelgeuse multiball?!

They could also do a Beetlegeuse skill shot!

#48 4 years ago

I like the theme, but after seeing what has been done with Wonka, I don’t think I’d be impressed.

#49 4 years ago

No, the movie is dated now. Saw it a few months back. Just doesnt have the charm it did. Wonka was a good choice.

#50 4 years ago

Good theme, but I would support other themes ahead of this.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-be-interested-in-a-beetlejuice-pin-made-by-jjp?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.