(Topic ID: 163236)

Would this work? (independant Vertical Up Kicker)

By Well_Fed_Games

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kaboom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

OK, weird question again, but here is my situation. I am re-theming a Flash with Mega Man art, sound, and toys, and am strongly considering a mini-bagatelle playfield...

1. in homage to other the other Williams robot games like Pinbot/BOP

2. to make use of the some of the vertical space I create when I lower the playfield for toys and stuff

3. to make use of Flash's redundant upper left path to the rollover lanes

so I am considering adding a VUK to a game that does not have one, using original boards (nothing is getting reprogrammed or anything), in order to get the ball to a small upper playfield (I have a wireform for the way back down).

So, any thoughts if a VUK would work "on its own," as an independent unit from any driver board? The ball rolls into a saucer, hits the switch, and gets kicked up... anything I am missing? There is a good chance I am... let me know if you think this would work/not work. Or if I need to explain better.

#2 7 years ago

You would need at least a 50V coil circuit which system 3-7 does not have.

#3 7 years ago

Ah, i was wondering about the power aspect. Thanks. Will start brainstorming some other options... don't think I have the room or power for a ramp. Perhaps some sort of magnet....

#4 7 years ago

You could at least try with the 30V that Flash has. Especially if it doesn't need to go as high as some VUKs do. As far as the circuit, the hardest part would be giving it a delay for the ball to settle. You'd probably need a timer circuit to trigger the coil.

#5 7 years ago

A 4017 CMOS DEVICE [or a micro controller], A 12 VOLT REGULATOR AND RELAY/*Transistor .
With the 4017 you can make a sequence...to continually pulse [eg 1 sec ...2secs] the relay if switch is pushed.This will give you a timer to make sure the ball has settled a kickout pulse and the ability to retrigger if it didnt eject.

The regulator to knock the 30 volts down to 12v for the circuit.

The relay operates the coil which at 30v maybe use a 3.5 ohm ....a bumper coil say(the voltage is errelavant its the power equation).
Volts X Current = Power(watts)
Volts/impedance = current
eg... 10v/10 ohms = 1 amp..... 10V X 1 Amp = 10 Watts
Later model machines run on 50 Volts to lower the current flow thru the system this does not however change the overall power consumption.

Using a dual pole 10 amp relay will allow you to have one pole wired across an existing
switch on the playfield to enable sound and/or scoring.
....all garden variety parts.

pls note; switching DC voltages over 30 volts with a relay can have issues with releasing the load, a good quality relay would be required.
*A drive transistor could replace the relay in the above situation just as easily though not as versatile.

i like the idea you've got , PM me and i can send you circuit.

.......in the time it took me to type this i could have built the thing.

#6 7 years ago

Ok, gonna be totally honest, a lot of that was over my head. Thanks for spelling it out though. I'll process it some more and let you know if i need a diagram! Thanks!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Well_Fed_Games:

Ok, gonna be totally honest, a lot of that was over my head. Thanks for spelling it out though. I'll process it some more and let you know if i need a diagram! Thanks!

In simpler terms, yes you can, it would cost about $ 30 for you to do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-this-work-independant-vertical-up-kicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.