(Topic ID: 304953)

A rivetting conversation. Talk about rivets and rivet tools.

By EvanDickson

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BorgDog
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

totally tubular (resized).png
    IMG_20220209_085840394 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220209_085801337 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220209_085750459 (resized).jpg
    20220124_010440 (resized).jpg
    20220124_010430 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220121_110834198~2 (resized).jpg
    16427776419057369175767589147113 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

That might be what the doctor ordered. 3" is probably best eh?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

The tool you listed isn't going to work unless you can find squeezer inserts to fit it....which I doubt exist. I've put many flaps on with one of these: HT-174 Hand Rivet Clincher for 1/8" Diameter Tubular Rivets. Designed to BE Used in Conjunction with A Hammer to Clinch/ROLL Tubular Rivets. (Pack of 1) amazon.com link »
    Just make sure you support the rivet head with a block of metal or a piece of hardwood, and use a backup washer behind it.

Perfect, I ordered one of these. The squeeze tools seem slicker, but I'm not high volume and this one won't take as much space on the shelf, so definitely willing to give it a try. Thanks! (and thanks to all who replied!)

1 month later
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

How did that tool work out for you? I'm in the same boat you were in and just want to make sure the tool made for an easy install.

It worked ok on the first ramp. Someone mentioned that you could use a wood block to back the rivet, but that is not my experience. I found the rivet hammered into my wooden desk before expanding even a little. I then put a thin steel plate (actually a drill hole size gauge) on the desk and found I really messed it up before getting the rivet installed.

That was for the easy ramp that went on to a flat section. The other three will be trickier. I've bought and cut some angle iron that I will put over wood as a backer. I'll wrap that in an old t-shirt or something so I don't scratch up the rivet or ramp.

I also think it would help to have a very heavy work bench over a concrete floor rather than a desk over a wood floor, the latter (which is my setup) probably allows more of the hammer energy to go into bouncing the floor, which means less energy going into deforming the rivet

IMG_20220121_110834198~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220121_110834198~2 (resized).jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

i have the older version of this..........works great
    http://www.arbortime.com/

I have something like this, but mine really sucks. Everything slips sideways long before the rivet deforms.

16427776419057369175767589147113 (resized).jpg16427776419057369175767589147113 (resized).jpg
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Riveting is not too difficult but you do need a firm smooth surface to get a clean result:

Use only nickel plated brass rivets.
    They dont need much pressure to clinch them.
    They should only protrude 1/16" or less before pressing. Use backup washers to fill in the length or use smaller rivets. The "rule of thumb" is that the protruding part should not exceed 1/2 the diameter of the rivet.
    In our case of using 1/8" rivets, 1/16" works well enough. But I find that I get less splitting if the rivet protrudes a bit less, something like just a tiny bit more than the thickness of a backing washer.
    I generally set the rivet up and place a washer over the end to see how it looks. I dont measure anything.
    If the rivet is slightly higher than the washer, Im good to go.
    If the part is plastic and needs a washer, I place 2 washers, see how it looks, then remove the 2nd washer.
    Using washers to get the right length works beautifully for me.
    Its handy to have a helper hold bulky or wobbly items while you setup and press rivets.

Holy crap. Maybe those are the magic words ("nickel plated brass"). I've been working with the ones I got with the pinbits pressless rivet kit, and the ones I got with the c-clamp pictured above. They're very tough so must be pure steel. I'll have a look for nickel plated brass and try again, thanks for the pro tip!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

i have the older version of this..........works great
    http://www.arbortime.com/

This looks like better quality than what I have, and has great reviews. I just ordered one, hopefully it will help me be a riveting fool (instead of just a fool).

2 weeks later
    #28 2 years ago

Update: the pintonka clamp/press from arbortime arrived and it's awesome! They provide a guarantee with a test piece, a penny with a hole and an appropriately sized rivet. It works so well! The alignment is great, and there's hardly any play. Clinching was a cinch!

IMG_20220209_085750459 (resized).jpgIMG_20220209_085750459 (resized).jpgIMG_20220209_085801337 (resized).jpgIMG_20220209_085801337 (resized).jpgIMG_20220209_085840394 (resized).jpgIMG_20220209_085840394 (resized).jpg
    #44 2 years ago

That link is going to all kinds of various hardware for me. What you're looking for are "tubular" rivets. They look like a short stubby shiny nail with a hollow shaft. 1/8" are what you'll use for pinball stuff. The correct length will vary, depending on the thickness of what you're working with. Probably somewhere between 5/32 and 7/32 for ramps, plastics, and things like that. I'd get an assortment of sizes just to be safe, they're pretty cheap.

totally tubular (resized).pngtotally tubular (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-this-be-suitable-for-rivetting-ramp-flaps?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.