(Topic ID: 155880)

Would Stern do an original trilogy Star Wars now?

By Rockytop

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    Laserdisclogo_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    star-wars-poster-1977_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

and wait to do the new trilogy after it's completed? I highly doubt it, but that would be my wish. There's never been a really great Star Wars pin and those first three movies are why everyone loves the franchise so much.

Stern doing the original GB when the new movie was coming out got me thinking that perhaps they could do the same thing with Star Wars. This would allow them to cash in on the current hype and deliver a pin in my opinion most people really want (an episode 4,5,6 pin)

It would also allow them to wait until the new trilogy is complete to release a pin based on that material.

Again, I don't think it will happen, but I think it would be awesome if it did.

star-wars-poster-1977_(resized).jpgstar-wars-poster-1977_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

No.............Joey

#3 8 years ago

I believe Stern will since there is not enough source marerial from the first of the new movies to make a new pin.

#4 8 years ago

To me this makes perfect sense. I guess Disney might have some say so over the pin and restrict Stern to Episodes 7-9. If not I would certainly be more likely to buy the pin if it was the original Episodes 4-6.

From what I hear there might be a huge release of the despecialized version of episodes 4-6 on Blu-Ray. I will be buying them if they come out and that might be more reason for a pin based on these. I can't stand the way Lucas ruined the original movies. Thank god there are torrents available with the original content, but the quality is not up to what I really want.

#5 8 years ago

I believe Stern would do much better business with a classic Star Wars pin than basing it on the new movies. Their consumer base is most definitely of the age that grew up with the original movies as evidenced by the popularity of Ghostbusters.

Quoted from John_I:

To me this makes perfect sense. I guess Disney might have some say so over the pin and restrict Stern to Episodes 7-9. If not I would certainly be more likely to buy the pin if it was the original Episodes 4-6.
    From what I hear there might be a huge release of the despecialized version of episodes 4-6 on Blu-Ray. I will be buying them if they come out. I can't stand the way Lucas ruined the original movies. Thank god there are torrents available with the original content, but the quality is not up to what I really want.

I just realized that there might be a rights problem after you said this. Disney doesn't own five of the original trilogy and prequels till 2020. So basing a pinball machine on the first three movies might be a problem. I know there is merchandise tied in with the originals so it might be a matter of using footage and/or sound from the originals.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I can't stand the way Lucas ruined the original movies. Thank god there are torrents available with the original content, but the quality is not up to what I really want.

Just get this...!!!.............Joey

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

Someone needs to give the original trilogy a proper pinball machine. The Data East machine has ok art but could be so much better.

#8 8 years ago

The first of the new movies was pretty darn good though, so either way is ok. Still having an original now and another after the final episode would be even better!

#9 8 years ago

I've been wondering this exact question myself . There are rumours going around that Stern may release a Star wars pin ( possibly this year ) . While they are just that - rumours - if they release it and include all characters across all movies released so far ie. Episodes 1 - 7 then as soon as Episode 8 is released the pin will feel outdated . I think it would make perfect sense to do an original trilogy pin now based on Episodes 4 - 6 then maybe release a complete Star Wars pin after Episode 9 .

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Just get this...!!!.............Joey

image_(resized).jpg

Or this.

Laserdisclogo_(resized).jpgLaserdisclogo_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

It has already been done during the SEGA years. I don't really car for the pin. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4054

#12 8 years ago

Hope so. Makes total sense to do a run early with the original and another pin later with the new movies once more come out. Custom artwork well done will be a hit. It will satisfy old 44 year old farts like myself.

Hope Stern starts listening more like they did on GB. For now let's waste some time and focus on Aerosmith next, so the workers on the line can get caught up on pins previously put out.

#13 8 years ago

This theme could be a total hit or miss depending on how they do the art. I like comic style but not to be redundant of the actual Marvel comics I say hand drawn movie art, not photoshop cuts all over. It's a Disney license now so I'm sure they will have a huge impact on what can be used, which has a lot of downfall, but hope for the best.

#14 8 years ago

No.

It makes absolutely zero sense for the licensor (Disney) to agree to that when they have a whole new series of films to flog - though I'm not really hip on whom owns what at this point.

I don't think Stern would bother either. With the new cash cows out there grazing, they get the old school (Luke, Leia, Solo, and all the robots and puppets) and the new characters as well.

I'd say pretty unlikely in either case.

#15 8 years ago

Didnt we learn from the SMVE that Disney only wants the "newer" version to promote their current brand and not old school?

McFarlane Spiderman? No
    Romita Spiderman? No
    Jack Kirby Spiderman? No

Current anorexic Spiderman? Yes.

I highly doubt it will be a "New Hope".

#16 8 years ago

I would have said probably not, but look at ghostbusters, so you never know..

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

I would have said probably not, but look at ghostbusters, so you never know..

Yes. But

1. GB is not Disney

2. Completely different characters. Not sure if Melissa McCarthy would sell well - too Rosie O Donnell-esque. Maybe an extra large topper?

#18 8 years ago

Given Stern's almost flawless record of doing themes in which I have zero interest, I'd say no.

#19 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-stern-do-an-original-trilogy-star-wars-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.