(Topic ID: 217468)

Would Scared Stiff Fit in a 2017 Kia Sorrento?

By WavingWilly

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cmack750
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6B23E7E2-17A0-495A-AA86-605F967F99B0 (resized).jpeg
0C3AC304-BED4-40F5-95DF-32853838682B (resized).jpeg
7F99094C-6C08-4D19-A316-9CEB0A057CCE (resized).jpeg
B9FD0030-4DEF-4DB0-9129-22E2E3E390A9 (resized).jpeg
0FBA3880-99EA-4554-8CBB-833172BB0BB1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180522_223538928 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cmack750.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago

I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and have moved 3 different Williams WPC machines and a Bally Doctor Who in it. It's a close shave, but they all fit with about 1 inch in height to spare. Keep in mind a couple things:

1. The comment made about cardboard is critical. Put it just inside the car, under the machine with the machine resting on it. You can then go around to the side door and pull the cardboard in while someone else pushed in the machine from the back. It'll slide right in without screwing up the seat backs.
2. If your 2nd row is like mine, the seats do not go down totally flat. Not an issue. Make sure you put the machine in coin-door first. The backbox should be at the back of the car at the hatch. Make sure to stuff a blanket or something between the head and your back window so you don't break it if the machine decide to slide backwards.
3. My Kia's hatch opening isn't exactly square. It has rounded edges, so you'll need to take that into account for height.

This stuff said, I have to admit that I do not know the dimensions of SS. But if it's the same as the early 90s stuff Bally made (non wide body at least), it'll fit.

I'm taking a break from restoring some cast iron skillets at the moment, so I'll go measure mine shortly and will let you know.

Selfishly, I'd love to know if you can fit it, because SS is on my someday list.

#27 5 years ago

OK. Let's work this problem.

I believe that all normal sized Williams AND Bally machine produced in the 90's used the exact same cabinets/dimensions. With that as our starting point, I got all the cabinet dimensions necessary from http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0473.html

Width of backbox: 28.75"
Height of machine ( legs removed, backbox folded down: 29"

This means you need probably 29.5' inches of clearance, and this clearance needs to extend about 15" off of center both left and right.

Measuring my 2012 Sorento (pictured), here is what I have:

Clearance dead-center: 30.75"
Clearance 15" left/right of center: 29.75"

In my Sorento, this would fit. Measure yours the same way, and you'll know for sure.

IMG_20180522_223538928 (resized).jpgIMG_20180522_223538928 (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago

Enjoy. Since you haven't moved a pin before, make sure you have something between the head and the cabinet (cardboard, blanket, etc) before you fold it down so you don't ding up the head or dent the side channels for the glass. Make sure the translite/backglass is locked in before you fold the head down so it doesn't fall out (unless you plan to remove it first). And ideally, stretch-wrap 4-5 times around the enter head/cab once your folded it down to keep the head tight to the cabinet while you are driving so it doesn't bounce against the cabinet if you hit any large bumps..... The shocks in those Sorentos are super stiff.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I also suggest getting a 2x4 that is the width of your car to set the back of the machine on. easier to get your fingers under that way. I have used that trick for all but 1 game. granted my car has a lip in the trunk which makes this necessary.

That works, but probably not in this case, since the hatch entrance is only 31" tall. Best to avoid putting your fingers under it all together.

Just make sure the cardboard you put under the machine (should extend beyond the front and sides a little) also extends a little bit by the hatch and just fold it up against the cabinet when you close it. When ready to unload, you can just pull on the cardboard and it'll slide right out.

When unloading, I usually slide out about a foot and put the back 2 legs on. Then pull it out more and angle it so you can get the 3rd leg on, while resting on the back 2 legs. Then pull it the rest of the way and have someone support it by the missing leg while you attach that. Then carry it in. Of course, that only works well if you have a walk-in with no stairs, since you won't want the legs on if that's the case. But even still, the cardboard should be all you need to get the cab out of the car.

#37 5 years ago

Fits like a glove. Glad it worked out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 38.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 249.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cmack750.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-scared-stiff-fit-in-a-2017-kia-sorrento?tu=cmack750 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.