(Topic ID: 19000)

Would like advice on buying first (and only) pin....

By rdawsoniii

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Acampero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdawsoniii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I have been a long time pinball fan (loved playing King of Diamonds back in the early '70s) and am looking to buy my first pinball machine. I only have room for one and would like suggestions for the "one" to get. Here is my criteria:

1. Fun to play (obviously).

2. Deep enough to keep me interested, but easy enough for my grandkids when they are old enough, and my wife, to enjoy.

3. Reasonably priced (hopefully less than $5,000).

4. Reliable mechanical reputation. I'm not mechanically inclined and most service work would have to be done by a professional.

5. Have "long lasting" appeal. I'm not looking to flip machines...I want something that will still be fun to play 5 years from now (for the casual player). The one I buy, I will keep.

I'd be happy for any recommendations you folks can give. I'll download and play them on Visual Pinball, then narrow the list down to a couple and go from there. So far I've played the Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection machine and a few on Visual Pinball. I *love* Funhouse on PHoF and The Simpsons Pinball Party on VP.

And....I'll likely buy from someplace like thepinballcompany, as I am a little leery about Craigslist and private sellers. I don't know any collectors or anyone in the pinball community here in Iowa.

Thank you in advance!

#6 11 years ago

Good responses so far. Thank you.

#22 11 years ago

Good suggestions..thanks.

Games like TZ, TOM, LOTR, etc. are priced above $5,000 at thepinballcompany, so that is more than I want to spend.

I am in the process of checking out machines via Virtual Pinball, so hopefully I can get things narrowed down a bit.

And yes, this will be my ONLY machine. I have a bad case of BAS (banjo acquisition syndrome)...I don't need PAS, too. Besides, I only have room for one.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

The voice of reason. Since you're not mechanically inclined, don't do it. You're just asking for trouble and frustration. A pinball machine will require constant maintenance. This could turn into a random purchase that could cost you thousands. You need to learn the maintenance side, if you're going to own.

Owning one machine, is like owning one movie or board game. You'll be sick of it fast. It will be collecting dust after 3 months. Possibly broken too.

Stick with the vp at home. Keep doing what you're doing.

That is discouraging. Maybe I should just forget the whole thing.

I still need to try Spiderman, but so far Funhouse and Simpsons remain my favorites. Tales of the Arabian Nights is fun too, but probably out of my price range.

1 week later
#42 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think right now my "Top 3" list is:

1/2...tie...Funhouse and Who Dunnit? (been playing this on Virtual Pinball and enjoy it very much)

3...Simpsons Pinball Party

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 18.95
$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdawsoniii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-like-advice-on-buying-first-and-only-pin?tu=rdawsoniii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.