(Topic ID: 82861)

Would it be worth buying these 100+ bodies (70s Era) to strip for parts?

By Linkage

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 249 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BanditBoy
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9.outside-512.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
images.jpg
199625-i.jpg
funeral.jpg
IMG_0179[1].JPG
flood mud.jpg
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

you pull the playfield you pull all parts if you really want 40 year old coils 2 bolts pulls the guts out of a EM game

coils wouldn't be the parts "we" would be looking for...

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

If you like pics, more here. Not many more Pinball pics, but a lot of Arcade Stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/iJ0Hd/all

I see the gun game sitting outside is either a CC Green Beret or CC SuperScope Rifle. No backglass, which is what I need, but I'm sure if it was in the game it would have been trashed too.

A ton of work to haul and store those games for just parts though...

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I see the gun game sitting outside is either a CC Green Beret or CC SuperScope Rifle. No backglass, which is what I need, but I'm sure if it was in the game it would have been trashed too.
A ton of work to haul and store those games for just parts though...

There are more gun games, not great though. One I touched the gun fell apart in my hands. The inside parts, what would they be called? The targets? They were in nice condition though.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from jonpin:

So here we go...
I need a Joker Poker playfield. Willing to pay $100 stripped. So there is your first sale.
GO FOR IT...
DO IT...
You know you want to.

You willing to deal with shipping from Canada? Trying to gauge you as an "average customer".

Also, on a scale of 1-10 what kind of quality would the play field have to be for you to want?

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

You willing to deal with shipping from Canada? Trying to gauge you as an "average customer".
Also, on a scale of 1-10 what kind of quality would the play field have to be for you to want?

You will never be able to gauge the average customer. People have specific needs because these games have specific parts. Yes, I would pay the shipping from Canada, but that was calculated in my offer of $100. I'd pay more for one in the US, shipping is less. I have shipped parts around the world, and they tend to pay the most for parts because there is less supply in France, Italy, Australia, Brazil, ect.

For my project, I don't need anything nice, just as long as the wood is in good shape. Again, that is my need, but it will not be anyone else's. You will never know for sure until you put the word out for what you have. Here is an idea, got any buddies? Spread the wealth. I did with some pinheads that helped me sort the lot out when I first bought it all. I game them stuff for their help.

#56 10 years ago

I can vouch that shipping to/from Canada is a bitch. VERY Expensive as everything must go Priority Mail that has any size or weight to it. A set of SMALL plastics might be able to go First Class as it could weigh under 13 ounces and be less than 1 foot in length.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainFantastic:

I can vouch that shipping to/from Canada is a bitch. VERY Expensive as everything must go Priority Mail that has any size or weight to it. A set of SMALL plastics might be able to go First Class as it could weigh under 13 ounces and be less than 1 foot in length.

i shipped a stripped pf from the US Canada and believe it or not, UPS was cheaper than USPS by $12. Not sure about going from Ca to USA though. I wish I could help the OP rescue these pins too, I noticed a Stern Nineball in there, only 1500 of those made and parts are hard to find.

#58 10 years ago

I'm a little confused on this.

Are these for sale as a bulk deal? If so, what is the guy asking?

I have the means to pick these up in a large truck, and I would love to save them.

#59 10 years ago

When I shipped tons of stuff, I had a UPS acct. Canada was cheaper UPS for larger stuff, and small stuff went USPS. Paypal now makes it so that you don't have to have private shipping accts. But you still have to pack it all. Side effect of selling a ton of junk.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

i shipped a stripped pf from the US Canada and believe it or not, UPS was cheaper than USPS by $12. Not sure about going from Ca to USA though. I wish I could help the OP rescue these pins too, I noticed a Stern Nineball in there, only 1500 of those made and parts are hard to find.

My experience after plenty of items came to me from the USA....

USPS = no duties paid by Canadian receiver. Hooray!
UPS = bend over, Canadian. Things are about to get uncomfortable.

Downside to USPS : Something damaged? Well, claiming that is going to be a total pain in the butt. USPS blames Canada Post. Or vice versa. Ugh.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from jonpin:

IT IS NOT WORTH IT, IT IS A LABOR OF LOVE.

Exactly... somewhere in the world, someone will be happy and grateful if you save the PF, plastics, tilt, apron, (even old instruction cards !) and list them in a FS thread. I bought stuff from Bulgaria...

PS: you may also get the Knockers, chimes...
Collect the rusty balls and make Tournament trophies out of them (glue them on a panel to make a pyramid...)

Still looking for a use for old rubber... suggestions, anyone?

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

My experience after plenty of items came to me from the USA....
USPS = no duties paid by Canadian receiver. Hooray!
UPS = bend over, Canadian. Things are about to get uncomfortable.
Downside to USPS : Something damaged? Well, claiming that is going to be a total pain in the butt. USPS blames Canada Post. Or vice versa. Ugh.

Yes, I'm aware. If the item is $20 or less Ca money then there's no import charges. I learned the hard way. It's strange that the USPS doesn't collect duties but UPS does. Maybe it's a government thing? Since UPS is privately owned, they must do things by the book to avoid penalties and/or keeping within the guidelines of ecommerce laws.

#63 10 years ago

What would they charge to ship a tractor trailer load across the border?

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from jonpin:

When I shipped tons of stuff, I had a UPS acct. Canada was cheaper UPS for larger stuff, and small stuff went USPS. Paypal now makes it so that you don't have to have private shipping accts. But you still have to pack it all. Side effect of selling a ton of junk.

yeah that's typical. UPS shipping weight starts a 1 pound and they round to the next pound even if it's 1.1 pounds. Packing does suck too, time consuming and materials expensive if you don't save old packing like I do.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I'm a little confused on this.
Are these for sale as a bulk deal? If so, what is the guy asking?
I have the means to pick these up in a large truck, and I would love to save them.

I hope you do. I would love to see these make it to Pinfest.

#66 10 years ago

Guys, If I strip these all down, what is the best way to stack playfields as to not smash anything?

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

What would they charge to ship a tractor trailer load across the border?

Does NAFTA apply here? AFAIK there should not be reimport fees on stuff that originated from the US and then went to Canada. Been a while, bit fuzzy on the shipping rules.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I hope you do. I would love to see these make it to Pinfest.

Me too

#69 10 years ago

For moving I mean. I wont have time to strip play fields entirely onsite.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from jonpin:

Does NAFTA apply here? AFAIK there should not be reimport fees on stuff that originated from the US and then went to Canada. Been a while, bit fuzzy on the shipping rules.

That is my understanding too.

#71 10 years ago

What kind of condition is that Embryon playfield?

If nicer than mine I'd buy it. If it's worn I'd be interested in buying the plastics and the whole ball trough mech under the apron if it has the plastic piece that kicks the ball into the shooter lane.

Post edited by Spybryon: add more detail

#72 10 years ago

What a sin. That's a pinball graveyard if ever there was one. Sad to see.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Guys, If I strip these all down, what is the best way to stack playfields as to not smash anything?

I did about 100 parts playfields. I stacked them in a truck vertical on end leaning against the side of the truck, and went face to face, back to back. There will be some collateral damage, but you can't help it for so many playfields unless you have a crap load of moving blankets to put in between.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

CPR uses wood with angled notches in them to hold playfields as they dry. I think if you did 2X4s with angled notches every 6-8 inches and then stood the playfields on end with the apron removed you could get quite a few this way.

Here's a youtube video of CPR screening playfields and you can see their stands.

. Skip to about 50 seconds and you can see the flat wood on the ground. I think you would have to use thicker material (2X4s on end) to support the weight

#75 10 years ago

I'd be interested in the Flash playfield for sure! It doesn't look worn in the usual spot.
Thanks for posting and good luck!

#76 10 years ago

Looking at these I'm reminded of the last discussion of "What percentage of pinball machines have survived." I think this single lot took those numbers down a couple percentage points. Good luck salvaging them - it would be a fun time as long as it wasn't too cold!

#77 10 years ago

I call dibs on the Medusa!!!!!! Love this stuff! I wish I was closer, I'd help you sell this just for the fun of it!

#78 10 years ago

so sad, def think its worth the time and parts. good luck

#79 10 years ago

A crime against pinball. Very sad to see.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Stand them on end, and place a sheet of cardboard between them.

The local electronics store that delivers HDTVs will have a ton of properly sized cardboard behind the shop that they pay to have recycled (at least in the USA, it's cheaper to pay to have cardboard recycled separately, than to throw it in the regular dumpster).

For long term storage, don't stand the playfields on concrete, as the wood will wick up moisture.

Stand them up on some 1x1" strips or Styrofoam sheets. You local tropical fish store can give you 100s of "styro lids" for free that they get from shipping.

#81 10 years ago

Some Novus 2 is all they need . . . .

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

...and some LEDs.

#83 10 years ago

Yeah, sure.
Little bit of wax, here and there...no problem.

I am sickened by this.
I saw a Nine Ball in that mish mash of crap, a game I've been after for years.
What a sinful waste.

Best thing this idiot owner could do for the world is never bother any of us again, and torch the entire lot.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

Maybe a fuse.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

I call dibs on the Medusa!!!!!! Love this stuff! I wish I was closer, I'd help you sell this just for the fun of it!

Where did you see the Medusa? I thought I saw one too but I cant find it in my pics.

#86 10 years ago

Medusa is in the middle under the tarp in your 33rd picture of your original post! You have to zoom in.

#87 10 years ago

Invite all the Pinsiders you can to gather for the funeral pyre and let these brave machines go out the way they came into this world as WARRIORS

Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever.

funeral.jpgfuneral.jpg
#88 10 years ago

What gun game is that? Is there anyone that can bring this whole lot to some shows? would be great to get some projects.

-c

#89 10 years ago

You are going to have to get an efficient triage system in place:

Games with heads - take the whole game.

Games with no heads, bad cabinets - Take playfield + transformer

Heads only - take all circuit boards + backglass if 80%

-

Don't bother with:

Playfield glass

Coin boxes

Rusty coin door mechs

Rusty legs

Speakers

Balls

Shooter rods

=

Make sure you grab :

Lock down bars (these are the "front trim" of the games above the coin door)

Transformers

Circuit boards (these fit other games of the same era, too)

Manual/Schematics (collectors LOVE original manuals)

Chime units

Coin doors (good condition units)

Electronic displays

#90 10 years ago

Spotted some great Ems in that group.
1963 Williams Beat the Clock
1963 Williams Skill Pool
1964 Williams Heat Wave
1965 Chicago Coin Par Golf
1960-61 Williams mod cab, unsure which machine had yellow

I feel queasy..

#91 10 years ago

if the seller does let you go pick them over, pull EVERY gottlieb chime box you find...

lockdown bars would be something good to grab too...

edit: i see vid posted this as well, along with a few other good things to pick...

#92 10 years ago

and stepper units. Grab all the stepper units from the EM games

--Jeff

#93 10 years ago

Great list VID1900 -Plastics for some of those games are hard to come by. The targets on the Medusa aren't made anymore.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Great list VID1900 -Plastics for some of those games are hard to come by. The targets on the Medusa aren't made anymore.

the drop targets? something happen to these?

http://www.pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm

#95 10 years ago

The economics on someone grabbing it and bringing it back to the states don't really work. Maybe if there were complete machines, but this is just bodies. Couple people messaged me and talked about it.

I'm leaning towards stripping everything as long as the owner doesn't go too crazy on price and I can strip them on site and leave the cabs.

If I cant come to agreement on everything, I might take requests and see if I can find what you need.

I dont really want to have to screw with palleting anything and shipping bodies, although its tempting if there is real rarities that might get restored.

On the topic of shipping, how do you even package a playfield?

I have sold a lot of stuff online over the years, but not what is essentially a chunk of wood. Does bubble wrap and cardboard cut it?

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

and stepper units. Grab all the stepper units from the EM games
--Jeff

yup, another good thing... good call jeff...

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You are going to have to get an efficient triage system in place:
Games with heads - take the whole game.
Games with no heads, bad cabinets - Take playfield + transformer
Heads only - take all circuit boards + backglass if 80%
-
Don't bother with:
Playfield glass
Coin boxes
Rusty coin door mechs
Rusty legs
Speakers
Balls
Shooter rods
=
Make sure you grab :
Lock down bars (these are the "front trim" of the games above the coin door)
Transformers
Circuit boards (these fit other games of the same era, too)
Manual/Schematics (collectors LOVE original manuals)
Chime units
Coin doors (good condition units)
Electronic displays

And try not to get bit by a rabid rat while doing so.

This is good advice actually.
If you can go through the entire lot, and take whatever you want for $500 or less...there is likely $1,500-$3,000 worth of salvagable parts in that pile of garbage.
Would have been $8,000 or more - if stored indoors.

It's like all those pins - they faught a war with redemption games, and lost.

#98 10 years ago

Really appreciate the advice on what to grab guys.

#99 10 years ago

There are a few games of that era to grab before others (rare or highly collectable) if time is running short before the thaw (some I see in the pictures):

Centaur**
Fathom
Fireball
Pokerino
Flash
Gorgar
Black Knight
Black Hole
Haunted House
Algar**
Joust**
Warlock
Time Fantasy
Varkon**
Star Light**
Xenon
Electra
Spectrum
Stargazer
Viper
Catacomb
Orbitor 1

**$$$

#100 10 years ago

What pin is this? I like the art,
199625-i.jpg199625-i.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 169.00
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-it-be-worth-buying-these-100-bodies-70s-era-to-strip-for-parts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.