(Topic ID: 103118)

Would Data East Back to the Future Vault Edition come out Oct 21st 2015 ?

By mrclean

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ahdelarge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy a BTTF VE Oct. 21st 2015?”

• TAKE MY MONEY!!! 19 votes
    18%
  • Yes if they revamped it 41 votes
    38%
  • Not interested. 29 votes
    27%
  • Not unless it comes with a DeLoreon, plutonium, & a flux capacitor 18 votes
    17%

(107 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KZYERVJ_(resized).jpg
images_(resized).jpg
390797_234793399918285_1847689908_n_(resized).jpg
13000101.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

With all of this vault edition talk, and since Stern owns the rights to Data East games, would it make sense for them to remake Back To The Future as a vault edition and have it released Oct. 21st 2015. Or would you rather them remake the game entirely with updated stuff. Would you buy an updated BTTF or the re-release if Stern made them again ?
13000101.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Hey... is that Gary Stern as "Doc Brown" in the flier?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from brannonrad:

Yes, why yes it is. I'm calling this game will get remade... and the release date will be or should be Oct. 21st 2015. I'm just not sure if it will be a revamped version or they will keep it the same.

#4 5 years ago

I would buy a BTTF VE in a heartbeat. Hard to find one in good shape if you can find one at all.

#5 5 years ago

I have a BTTF that I just finished restoring and I love it. I have never bought a NIB pin but if Stern did a new original BTTF I just might make that my first.

#6 5 years ago

Doubtful.. The Pinball Arcade just stated that Christopher Lloyd is one of the two people that have not agreed to licensing for adding the Addams Family Table to The pinball arcade electronic platform.

#7 5 years ago

The original BTTF is not a very good game...you could do soooo much more with the theme with a modern design & modern hardware/software.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The original BTTF is not a very good game...you could do soooo much more with the theme with a modern design & modern hardware/software.

It's simple but I still find it fun. Wouldn't want it to be my one and only pin though.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

It's simple but I still find it fun. Wouldn't want it to be my one and only pin though.

It was my first pin, and I loved it for being my first pin....but compared to other pins of its era or today's pins...it doesn't hold up. It would never get remade in its current form....but, like DE Simpsons and then Stern Simpsons Pinball Party, I'd love to see a new and modern take on it.

#10 5 years ago

Since I apparently have no life....

Fun fact: exact time they traveled back/forward in time on Oct 21st, was 7:29pm Eastern / 4:29pm Pacific

Had the game, enjoyed it, but only for nostalgic reasons. With that said, I'd buy a VE.

#11 5 years ago

Would love if the game had an Easter Egg built in to display a fun message on that date.
Someone who presently has the game change the date forward and see if anything happens.

#12 5 years ago

I have a lot of themes that I would buy if a pinball was made, but I think an updated Back to the Future is the only one on my list that I MUST HAVE. I still want to find the Data East version for my collection, but when I get pinball money in hand, I've been gravitating towards the current Stern machines because they hold my attention the longest. I purchased AC/DC Pro back in May 2012 and I'm still playing it. I'll take the DE Simpsons for a spin every now and again, but it doesn't have that "just one more game" feel to it.

Stern, if you're listening, new Back to the Future pinball release. I will stand on my head for this.

Cheers!
Adam.

#13 5 years ago

Yeah sure ill buy one ......

#14 5 years ago

Ya a new bttf could be great. 3 playfields, a lower PF for the Wild West, the main PF for 1985 and the upper PF for the future. You could have the ball jump back and forth like haunted house. ....it could
be an epic design

#15 5 years ago

It wouldn't be a vault edition since the platform is so old. It would have to be a remake a la MMr. Since that involves so much more engineering, almost equivalent to making a new machine, that and the licensing issues probably makes this a non-starter.

viperrwk

#16 5 years ago

When the first movie came out in 1985 I was 11 and they went back to 1955 thirty years earlier. So.... if they made a movie and it came out next year(2015) and went back thirty years it would be 1985....Again.

Just think about it for a minute...... The possibility of how the story could go??? It would be and I quote Marty McFly "Heavy"

#17 5 years ago

Someone created a pretty cool original layout in future pinball. Still could use some work, but it shows potential of what a modern version of BTTF could be

#18 5 years ago

I don't see people buying a vault edition for 5k. For 3k it could be a winner and maybe create a Vault Classics lineup

#19 5 years ago

Are we going to see a post like this for every old DE/Sega/Stern game?....

1 month later
#20 5 years ago

No, just machines that are worthy of a new edition. It happened for the Simpsons and now I think Back to the Future is crying out for a bells and whistles DMD pinball machine.

Stern, are you listening?

Cheers!
Adam.

#21 5 years ago

October 21st, 2015.. Stern's still got some time. Quite possibly the most epic anniversary of any movie.

#22 5 years ago

Nike claims they will have the self lacing shoes for the anniversary "Nike Air Mag's"... Deloreons are still being pumped out now with an optional electric motor... Granted no flux capacitor. The Hoover boards were a convincing prank on YouTube with various celebrity cameos but I'm still hopeful for one of those down the line.

I think Stern can implement a Deloreon toy on a track whipping around the playfield being controlled with the flipper and once it hits "88mph" a streak of flame type effect from LEDs would streak from behind as it simultaneously the car sinks / disappears into the playfield or behind the back box. Also Stern can use a magnetic track / strip for the Hoover board effect, simple cheap and the effect is mind blowing. The lower playfield Wild West you could have drop targets for the shoot outs (similar to cactus canyon how they pop up). The back box can have a functioning "clock tower" as found on diner. The pop bumpers can initiate the animation on the DMD of BIff and George punching each other. A great video mode on the dmd can be Marty mcfly on a skateboard you need to weave left and right with the flippers avoiding stuff & if completed biff crashes his car into the pile of manure. Ball locks "present" "past" "future". Tons of stuff you can do with this title, as others mentioned look at the Data East Simpsons vs. TSPP this title could have the same effect. I still think the theme would do extremely well. if this or Jaws gets made im in. My thought process is if they are capitalizing on older music bands why not capitalize on retro movie theme pins as well. Clearly it works look WOZ, TBL etc... Are you listening Sern !?

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I think Stern can

Simply put, if Stern did this title (and did a reasonable job), it would be my first NIB. I don't care what I'd have to sell, I would HAVE to own one.

Quoted from mrclean:

Nike claims they will have the self lacing shoes for the anniversary "Nike Air Mag's"

She achived it 4 years ago:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blakebevin/power-laces

If you want some cheap fakes (that look sorta like the shoes, minus the nike logo), they sell them for $98:
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/back-to-the-future-2-light-up-shoes.html

Quoted from mrclean:

The Hoover boards were a convincing prank on YouTube with various celebrity cameos but I'm still hopeful for one of those down the line.

There is "sort of" a hoverboard, but that's not the intent of the product. It's intended to floating homes in Japan an instant hover so they can float during earthquakes. As it stands today, it's a $10k board that runs for only 4 minutes with current battery technolgy, and requires a non-ferrous copper floor to work (oh and it's earsplitting loud when you ride it)
http://vimeo.com/109709497

#24 5 years ago

Just wait for the shitty reboot that sucks and screws up all the canon of the original trilogy.

#25 5 years ago

Who would pay 5k+ for a remake when you can buy a a nice original for around 2k?

#26 5 years ago

Not talking about a remake, talking about a completely new game.. read above comparing original Simpsons by data east compared to stern Simpsons pinball party

1 month later
#27 4 years ago

So, we could see Back to the Future coming from Dutch Pinball after Lebowski?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

There is "sort of" a hoverboard, but that's not the intent of the product. It's intended to floating homes in Japan an instant hover so they can float during earthquakes. As it stands today, it's a $10k board that runs for only 4 minutes with current battery technolgy, and requires a non-ferrous copper floor to work (oh and it's earsplitting loud when you ride it)
» Vimeo video

It has also been debunked for the bullsh*t it is;

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from brannonrad:

Quoted from mrclean:

Yes, why yes it is.

Yes, both Gary and Data East co-founder/designer, Joe Kaminkow on there.

1 month later
#30 4 years ago

Any updates/speculation on a new BTTF pin? Heard that it wasn't a certainty that Dutch Pinball secured the license.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Someone created a pretty cool original layout in future pinball. Still could use some work, but it shows potential of what a modern version of BTTF could be
» YouTube video

Very cool skill shot and sound bites on that pin. Thanks for sharing that. Pretty cool concept and would really enjoya BTTF pin revamp.

#32 4 years ago

I love your enthusiasm OP... but I just don't see it in the cards.

Stern wants the easy VEs... ones where they can just "copy" designs and re-use existing code. This is evident by the way in which Stern has ...reused... designs from other pinball manufacturer's for years. I just don't see them spending resources to port code from Data East to the Spike system.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

It has also been debunked for the bullsh*t it is;
» YouTube video

I think Mythbusters would call that "Plausible", not quite "Busted".

It's a stepping stone.

2 months later
#34 4 years ago

Well ..... hmm.... this is interesting...

#35 4 years ago

April 1st

#36 4 years ago

All the news for that is in the past few hours. I'm guessing it is an April Fools joke.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Well ..... hmm.... this is interesting...

» YouTube video

reminds me of this supercut released yesterday

2 months later
#38 4 years ago

Bumping this thread again.

Out of any future theme, I still think a new Back to the Future would be almost a definite buy for me. I wanted a Bally KISS, but the price was always prohibitive as I didn't see the value in paying that much for an old game. I want a Data East Back to the Future, but it seems too similar to my DE Simpsons. An updated Back to the Future is the answer!

#39 4 years ago

Mass appeal for 80's geeks like myself. I'm in.

#40 4 years ago

I don't think it'd work as a VE, since they'd have to convert the game to run on the SPIKE system, and why bother converting an old game that's not so great when they could just design a newer and better one?

Also they'd still have to renew the license, and maybe now they'd actually be able to license Michael J. Fox, in which case they'd want to re-do the artwork to account for that, but again instead of going through that trouble they could just design all-new artwork for an all-new BTTF game (which I think would be a great theme choice that my family and I would all love).

#41 4 years ago

Definitely no "VE". It needs a KISS-style revamp. The title alone will sell units (like KISS), they just have to bring it into the DMD era. Stern, you have my dollars.

2 months later
#42 4 years ago

Oct. 21st 2015 is around the bend...... BTTF REMAKE ???

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Oct. 21st 2015 is around the bend...... BTTF REMAKE ???

It NEEDS to happen. I think it will be a given at some stage....not sure which manufacturer yet. Hopefully one that can get a game out in a reasonable amount of time and not something that is hyped for 12 months and then people forget all about it due to Stern releasing 9 games in the mean time.

#44 4 years ago

I don't think stern would ever do that (unfortunately)
If you have noticed, they have vaulted games that have increased in value over what it costs when they were manufactured.
For example:
Stern ironman, raised in price about $1,000, stern realizes the demand for the machine, vaults it out for a lower cost than what the machine would usually cost the buyer used, they sell a lot.

BTTF is pretty much a $1600 game now, how is stern going to convince someone to pay near 3x the market value????

It would be nice, but will not happen

#45 4 years ago

Yeah, no chance of them remaking the DE version, but every chance a manufacturer will get the rights for a modern version. Take_my_money.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwow:

BTTF is pretty much a $1600 game now

Gladly buy 3 old one's at this price. Please Pm me with available machines at this cost. Cash Today! I've been bidding on all ebay and pursue all in Ca, West coast for sale. Last one reserve not met, owner wanted 3k. Has not been relisted. Closed at $2700
I would also place deposit on re-boot, just wish it wasn't stern. We need another pinball manufacturer.

#47 4 years ago

If I was a boutique builder, BTTF would probably be the first title I'd work on. It's nostalgic for the 40 somethings, the new generation loves it. An alphanumeric data east game that's approaching $3k says it all. A new version with good sampled music, cool toys, color DMD animation, deep code. People would happily plunk down $5-7k for a new version.

6 months later
#48 3 years ago

Anymore rumours on a new BTTF machine? Will never let this thread die. haha

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Anymore rumours on a new BTTF machine? Will never let this thread die. haha

Sadly wont happen. Someone asked this on the Stern FB page yesterday and Sterns response was..'Been there done that in 1990'
I would buy a couple of a new remake in a heart beat and as I already own 2 BTTF Data East machines which have been personally signed by Christopher Lloyd himself etc .hes signed 2 full sets of new plastics for my BTTF's as well....

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Sadly wont happen. Someone asked this on the Stern FB page yesterday and Sterns response was..'Been there done that in 1990'
I would buy a couple of a new remake in a heart beat and as I already own 2 BTTF Data East machines which have been personally signed by Christopher Lloyd himself etc .hes signed 2 full sets of new plastics for my BTTF's as well....

Wow, that's awesome!

Strange comment from Stern....they've made a new Simpsons game in the past....a new Playboy.....and a new Indiana Jones....a new Star Wars...maybe someone else beat them to the license or other license issues?

I'm looking for a DE Back to the Future (even a non-working project will do), but I'm not paying over $3k for one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, CT
$ 50.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Green Valley Lake, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 21.00
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside