(Topic ID: 244059)

JJP POTC Galaxy Backboard & Twinkling Star Mod - Shipping!

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 224 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B0BBBEFD-0827-43D7-9C04-1CE10F01A220 (resized).jpeg
69364991-EBEC-417F-8C75-994CB00006CE (resized).jpeg
38025BA6-609C-4162-9621-BE4AD896EC8A (resized).jpeg
E67C61B8-A639-4C56-9702-9B29C6C12D4B (resized).jpeg
DE004A04-0DBB-47E4-8B93-E7EF096578D5 (resized).jpeg
66BD6F96-2352-4097-99F6-BB51EB0864FD (resized).jpeg
75E80D51-A64F-48C8-9690-3E1852C318E4 (resized).jpeg
FBA78604-FA74-4607-9FE5-C44FCD8F5DC0 (resized).jpeg
F9D80309-0FE7-4DB0-B169-4BDA7E770F7B (resized).jpeg
801F4274-2F00-4B79-97C4-77882F97949B (resized).jpeg
52F879B1-1776-42BF-A5D7-F52AE74F604B (resized).jpeg
B9C174BE-F0E6-49FF-B234-E3AD66F1F20B (resized).jpeg
20200101_165234 (resized).jpg
20191230_205504 (resized).jpg
20191230_205450 (resized).jpg
SkyAlt (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Now-Available (resized).pngNow-Available (resized).png

FULL WIDTH GALAXY STARMAP BACKBOARD PLASTIC (JERSEY JACK PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN)
https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

Now offering the twinkling star light add-on!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

---------====================///////////////====================---------

I'm looking to make this for myself. Basically it would replace the star map plastic (or if you don't have a starmap it can be used as the backboard cover) which would look similar to the design that is there but would run the full width of the backboard so there would be no black showing from the wood backboard. The starmap lights would still work the same if you have them now. Or if you don't have the starmap you can add any lighting you want behind it.

I am thinking that this would cost somewhere around $40 to make. If there is interest I'll get some additionals made.

#2 4 years ago

Here is a preview of what it would look like. Probably won't be as "bright" as it looks in this image since it will be behind plastic and semi-transparent. The black dots (if you can see them) are the transparent cutouts for the existing starmap lights. This is how the existing plastic is done, however the existing is also made like all other pinball plastics with a white ink back layer, I am testing an option without this. It should give a more realistic sky look and less like a pinball plastic. I think I could provide an option to not have the transparent dots, for a few reasons. One, if you don't have the starmap lights you don't want/need this. Two, the artwork I am printing is probably translucent enough to not need cutouts. Either way, I don't think you'll even see the dots.

There will only be minor disassembly to replace the existing starmap plastic and only minor assembly to put new plastic if you don't have the starmap.

One option could also be custom design or different images. The replacement piece won't be a perfect rectangle, it will have various cutouts (which won't be seen once installed) to fit around mechanisms. The material will either be polycarbonate or acrylic, I'm testing both.

Starmap-No-Holes (resized).jpgStarmap-No-Holes (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

The existing starmap looks raised off the backboard due to the lights I believe (but haven’t pulled mine apart yet to see). How will this mount across the back - meaning will the four corners be on standoffs?

My concept is to mount it to the same four locations the existing one mounts to. The far ends I'm hoping won't need support (they hide behind many other things and are fairly small). Worst case maybe a few discreetly placed screws. If you have the starmap the plastic will still be the same distance away from the backboard. If you don't it can mount right up to the backboard. The only sticking point is fitting it around/behind the two ships if you have the starmap. In actuality the only real issue is fitting it around the target ship. Especially since the ship moves, how it fits around there will be tricky. I have a few ideas as to make it look good but worst case there will be a ship shaped silhouette cut out to account for the ship travel. It will easily fit around/behind the critical viewpoints of the BP.

If people want to get crazy, recessing the starmap will be like a 24-karat gold installation to make it look seamless behind the target ship. I could probably give the option for the ship cutout or not. I might put a small bend in it to fit behind, up in the air until the plastic gets here and I test cut it to fit.

#7 4 years ago

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m thinking breaking out the rotozip and cutting a hole in the backboard to recess the starmap lights so the new sheet sits flat against the backboard... is that nuts?

I was thinking router (just because I happen to have one) to recess it partially, could keep using the mounting as it is. But cutting out a hole is probably fine and easier, you'd just have to put some support behind to screw the board & plastic to. A couple of wood strips would probably do it. Need some longer screws and standoffs, but that's easy enough.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do take pictures of your beautiful game Before you take a rotozip to it so we can say good by to it. lol If you decided to go such an agressive route I would strongly suggest simply removing the back panel from the playfield or better yet simply copy it in another raw piece of wood as you will be covering it anyway. That way you can always return it to normal. I personally do not see Anything wrong with the designers layout of the starfield. Its a simple lighted toy, it should stay simple in my opinion.

I was thinking a replacement would be pretty easy to make and easy to install. Maybe it would be easiest to just bulk produce that and not worry about the mounting/cutout issues. Just swap your board over (undo the few things that pass through the backboard). I was waiting to hear back from a CNC place to see costs of cutting the plastic, I can ask about doing the wood at the same time. A melamine template and a router with a collar could probably make quick work too.

The "layout" is a cheaply implemented add on, IMHO. So is the blank backboard. Throw a "galaxy" sticker on it at least. If the starmap was a first thought there would have been enough room to fit it behind the other elements so it didn't look like an orphaned pictureless frame floating in midair. JJP could have either recessed it or moved everything another mm or two away from the backboard and viola, a full size piece of plastic would fit. Probably cost marginally more to do this originally, just some wider/more plastic and printing.

#9 4 years ago

For those without a star map I am looking in to providing an optional "twinkle" lighting behind the full size plastic. Obviously this wouldn't be intelligent at all, it would just be decorative, but would probably look similar to the starmap. Still pretty plug and play, however. Again, if anyone is interested let me know otherwise I won't bother since I have the starmap on mine.

#12 4 years ago

You don't like using clear washers?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess I forgot about that, it's been nearly a month on waiting for the sling posts to resolve to some sort of outcome....
I think I had a hard time getting the upper left washer in on the left sling. I'll try back, and get back to ya. What's been your final solution regarding that issue?
Nice work on this starmap idea. I don't think I'll alter mine, but I'll definitely follow along with your thread and determination!

Rubber washer -> double star post -> lexan washer (I think 3/4" or 1") -> plastic

#16 4 years ago

Got the plastic in. Might be a bit thin, have to see when it is cut to shape. Could require too many fasteners to keep flat but at least I can make a prototype. The prints should be here any day. In the meantime I'm gonna cut a test piece as a template.

#18 4 years ago

Template under way. If you don't have a starmap this could be a quick install, slides right over everything. In fact, it may very well be worth the time to recess the existing starmap lights. It looks way better flush against the back.

0604191927 (1) (resized).jpg0604191927 (1) (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago

Man, I'm getting excited. It really fills up the back of the playfield and makes it look complete. Even with just the cardboard there.

#22 4 years ago

Really rough prototype I'm playing with. I have some changes to the graphics and the printer is going to change a few things in how it is output. I might try a different plastic or finish to see how the glare is affected. Of course need to get it all the way in the game to see what it looks like there. Might not be an issue. I'm going to use this prototype to do a final cutout and fitment and then test out the starmap modification for placement.

I think there might be two different paths. Those who want to modify the placement of their starmap (probably not many) and those who want it more plug and play. Those latter people will probably get a different cutout to go around the target ship since there isn't enough clearance. Either that or I will bend the plastic just a bit so it slips behind. Not sure if I am a fan of that but might make it a lot easier for me. I personally plan on modifying how the starmap is mounted, likely recessing it into the backboard so it is flush.

0605191406 (resized).jpg0605191406 (resized).jpg0605191414 (resized).jpg0605191414 (resized).jpg
#25 4 years ago

Yup. They might all be that way but easy enough to do some either way.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Awesome work harry. Would be down for one where I could cutout around the constellation area, or is already cutout. If you aren't selling, I'd love the art file and I'd get it printed myself.

You mean so it works with existing star map? I have one so I'll be doing that for sure.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

I don't think you want it to be a true cutout, then the image wouldn't line up. I think this is going to go over top of it, but still allow the starmap to shine through. harryhoudini ... am I interpreting this correctly?

It will replace the existing plastic. The lightning board will stay in place behind the new plastic. Starmap lights will continue to work at original.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

This is looking promising for SE owners, I could see this paired with an led strip light mounted above working well

There may be a few options for twinkle LEDs behind it, as well... sort of a faux starmap.

#34 4 years ago

Very rough proof of concept and fitment. Waiting on second print from printers. I think I'm going to modify the art a little so it is darker around the actual starmap. I am sure when it is lit up it will be harder to see. I think I originally designed it reversed so I might just flip it back around. I think I printed it backwards as I was intending it originally to go on the front of the plastic.

0606191541a (resized).jpg0606191541a (resized).jpg
#35 4 years ago

Printer is sending two new graphics. Both are backed by white ink and one has the transparent holes cut out for the starmap. If these are correct then I should have enough material to create 4 (two with holes and two without). I need to test bending the plastic around the existing starmap for those who want to keep it as it is and have a quick and easy install. I also took a look at what it would take to either replace the backboard with a new piece that has a routed out area or a cut out area or to modify your existing piece. It shouldn't be horrible, and personally I think I'm going to create a new backboard. It doesn't matter if it looks good or not, the plastic will cover the whole thing. I have a router, just need to get a bit, as I think I am going to recess the starmap for a completely finished look. I suppose I can make more of them for others who want to just replace. It's several screws and a few mechs to remove but should be fairly easy for anyone with basic skill.

The only question now is cutting out the plastic. I don't have a bandsaw or scroll saw so I was using my jigsaw which does an ok job but doesn't look like a professional cutout. I am guessing CNC cutting is going to cost a lot. I don't know what real plastics use to cut out, the backing looks burned so I was guessing a laser. Since you don't see the cutouts at all I was thinking that this isn't an issue.

I suppose if you want to weigh in, do you want to pay more and have it CNC cut or do you want to keep it cheaper and have it rough cut with a jigsaw?

Rough idea of cost of items.. depending on the plastic I use it's around $15-20 and the printed sheet is around $25-30 depending on speed of shipping, qty ordered, etc. So probably something like $60-70 depending on time and any other items I might need (blades, drills). I have a drill press so putting in the holes for screws is no problem. CNC cutting is probably going to add (just a huge spitball here) $50 to each piece given the low quantity I'm assuming I'll be producing. I can take a pic of the prototype with the rough cut I did so you can see it, if interested to know what it would look like. I really don't think it matters as long as no one is expecting a professional piece.

#36 4 years ago

Welp, update.. looks like I have a tentative deal to have CPR produce these! No more fiddling around at home.. these will be printed just like all their other plastics and CNC cut. 100% professional!

Ok, so I think I am going to do a pre-order so I can get a sense of what is needed. Kevin said I could have a sample early next week so production should be not too long after that.

#38 4 years ago

Humm... was toying around with different images. I didn't put in enough time but something like this could be cool, with more sky and less ocean.

#40 4 years ago

While CPR is reviewing the artwork (sent it over this weekend) and I am doing some final measurements I got this delivery from the other printer. They fixed their mistakes so it looks like both designs (with and without LED cutouts) are correct. If everything works out for this I should be able make 4 pieces from these. The cutout will be much rougher but I got some new bits for my dremel so shouldn't be too bad. I am going to make up one and see what the cost difference is between this and CPR (plus my time and how good this method looks). I'm also going to test the bend around the existing starmap to see if that is easily doable. Finally, going to see what plywood I have and if nothing I'll go get some nice quality stuff to replace the backboard and route out a sample for my starmap. For those SE owners this will be a piece of cake to install.

0617191305 (resized).jpg0617191305 (resized).jpg
#42 4 years ago

Wow...CPR is amazing. Production sample on the way to me already! Should have it in my hands in a few days. If it all fits well then I'll ask them to make them up! Just need to work on the bending a bit to see if that is an option for those who don't want to route. Need to hit up home depot for some nice plywood to make a routed out one.

#43 4 years ago

YAY, store is live!

*Please bear with me, if there are any questions or issues feel free to PM so I can help figure them out. New store for me, new payment processing, etc.

*2-3 weeks to produce all the products, you'll get a notification when your order ships.

*Flat rate $1 shipping for all decals, otherwise please choose an appropriate shipping method

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com

Added over 4 years ago:

YAY, store is live!

*Please bear with me, if there are any questions or issues feel free to PM so I can help figure them out. New store for me, new payment processing, etc.

*2-3 weeks to produce all the products, you'll get a notification when your order ships.

*Flat rate $1 shipping for all decals, otherwise please choose an appropriate shipping method

https://pinballmods.co

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Harry, which one do I order for my CE? The custom route or the full width? Gotta combine this with the stickers and BP glass door.

The custom routed backboard is a replacement wood piece which would complement the plastic. Since you have the starmap your options are to either use a bent plastic (it will be slightly bent around the starmap PCB board that sticks out from the back of the backboard now) or to recess that starmap PCB so it sits inside the backboard so the plastic will sit flat.

So you want the full width plastic either way. If you want to simply replace the backboard with a pre-routed version that I am going to produce you can order that product as well. If you are wanting to do the bent version or can route out (or cut out) your existing backboard then you don't need to order the routed backboard.

Hope that's clear I'm going to be putting more details together this weekend and the CPR plastic should be at my house on Monday so I'll take some detailed pics and video with notes on the install options for next week.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What's the level of effort to install this for LE owners?
Edit.... Is this what I want? I'm confused I just want the background full decal as LE owner and know what the effort is
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Install is going to be based on what method. I know I'm making it harder on myself heh, but I wanted to offer enough options for most people. So with the LE/CE you can go with a bent plastic (I hope this works, lol.. haven't done it yet officially) that will be curved to fit around the existing starmap PCB. You'll remove the existing starmap plastic and put this one in place. It slips over everything else so it's really just a matter of minutes to swap it around. It will still look good but will have a "bump out" to fit around the PCB.

The other option is to somehow recess your PCB. I listed a custom routed backboard that can replace your existing one. There is some more disassembly involved to get at the screws to remove the backboard, some playfield part have to be moved out of the way. If you are comfortable following the instructions and tinkering with your pinball then it isn't that big of a job. If you can route out or cut your existing backboard then you don't need the one I am selling (or if you want to use the bent plastic version then you also don't need it).

I should have more info this week on what it will all look like. Don't worry about being in a rush to order since no matter what you order it will take a few weeks at least to get it all put together since we are just starting production on the window filler mod and the galaxy plastic.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

$25 shipping. Yikes!

For the plastic alone? Let me know what you had in your cart and I'll look in to it. I tried to make it accurate for Priority Mail. I was trying to account for box cost and padding material as well. It might be a too heavy or big in the store settings and cause the shipping to be way more than it should. I do know that USPS isn't all that cheap anymore with even just a basic small box with the window mod costing like $7-$10 and it weights next to nothing. True cost is probably like $15-20 anywhere in the US for the plastic. I think the box has to be something like 24x8x3" or so. I am going to add some sort of stiffener, like additional cardboard or something to prevent the plastic from being crushed.

#51 4 years ago

Here's a view of what the plastic prototype looks like installed with a new method of installing the starmap PCB. This may be the least amount of modification and may be almost a modification-less install. I'm testing it, needs to run a bit to make sure it doesn't get too hot (still not sure why they spaced the original starmap out so far). Ignore the glare, my phone camera is pretty crappy in low light.

You can see how close it gets installed to the backboard, not noticeable once the playfield is pushed all the way in.
Starmap Close Install (resized).jpgStarmap Close Install (resized).jpg

#52 4 years ago

Waiting on some parts now to make a custom starmap replacement LED board. It uses an LED array (similar to what the starmap uses) and a microprocessor to create a realistic twinkling star background. All other methods (aside from fiber optics) produce a non-random pattern (every other light turns on and off, etc) and fiber optics are prohibitively expensive and time consuming to install. This should pretty much be a drop in addition that is plug and play and has a large area (basically between both ships) that lights up with stars. Much bigger than the original light board area. I think it will cost around $50, give or take.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Will this work on the SE?

Yeah, sorry, specific to the SE. Drop the board in place, plug it in and put the plastic on top. 10 minute install, blinking stars in the background

#57 4 years ago

This is the correct product: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

BUT if you were waiting for a lit version for SE (with the twinkle stars behind it) I haven't listed that yet. I'm still waiting for those parts to arrive so I can confirm function. I have to do a bit of programming on the controller to set the twinkle up so I want to make sure that is all easy enough to do.

For those asking for a view of the LE/CE version in my game, glass on, here is that. I didn't replace my purple lights, sorry about that.. I will do that. And my camera sucks... I need a new phone. Any glare or misalignment (you can view a few LEDs below the plastic) is just from this video, the plastic will have the same finish as the existing starmap plastic, same color depth, etc.

Added over 4 years ago:

This is the correct product: https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

BUT if you were waiting for a lit version for SE (with the twinkle stars behind it) I haven't listed that yet. I'm still waiting for those parts to arrive so I can confirm function. I have to do a bit of programming on the controller to set the twinkle up so I want to make sure that is all easy enough to do.

For those asking for a view of the LE/CE version in my game, glass on, here is that. I didn't replace my purple lights, sorry about that.. I will do that. And my camera sucks... I need a new phone. Any glare or misalignment (you can view a few LEDs below the plastic) is just from this video, the plastic will have the same finish as the existing starmap plastic, same color depth, etc.

#58 4 years ago

I think I'll do two other versions of this if I can get CPR to print just a few. I was thinking of one more of a horizontal look at the ocean at night. So you see part ocean with waves and then a moonlit/starry sky (allowing the proper dark area for existing starmap lights to look correct). It would sort of coincide with the perspective that you'd see if looking at the ships at the angle they are at. Like side art but for the backboard.

Another it something like above but with more "piratey" imagery. I doubt there is imagery I can use from the movie but I can probably find similar stuff. So maybe a few ships in the background, rock formations... pirate flag... maybe even with a few lights to highlight specific pieces (like ship windows or something). Maybe a cloud "formation" in the sky that looks like a "hidden" pirate skull and crossbones.

Down the road, but I think they could be fun.

#59 4 years ago

Production sample is here! Good news, it's about 99% there. I have a few changes and decisions to make. Good news, it's easy as hell to install even with a starmap. Plus, I think I can lose the screws right in the middle of the starmap. Bad news, it's a bit dark...I am sending some updated artwork to CPR and am going to get some produced. Not a lot of orders so far, so probably won't order that many.

The one in the image has screw holes and transparent holes for the LEDs. I have another that does not have LED holes which I am going to test. I think it might be preferred. The white lights on this one are SO bright because they are perfectly lined up with the plastic and very close to it.

Galaxy Print Sample (resized).jpgGalaxy Print Sample (resized).jpg
#63 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Do you think an LE needs the holes cut out?

I'm going to install the other this afternoon on my LE to confirm.

#64 4 years ago

No star light cutouts are needed, IMHO. They shine through just fine. I am going to order all of them without cutouts and without screw holes. I'll mark the screw holes on the back if anyone wants to drill them (or I'll drill them for you) but I don't think they are needed. The way it is cut and fits, pressure holds it in just fine. The PCB moves around a bit so either I'll screw that in with the original screws behind the plastic, actually drill the plastic holes or use some double sided tape for it as well. It barely needs anything to hold it in place.

Fair warning, the price is likely to go up. Waiting to hear back from CPR on final cost but I probably priced it too low (assuming lots of game modifications needed, that I'd do all the work on my end to make the plastics, etc). So if you already ordered, you got the early bird discount and until I change it anyone else who orders will get it too.

Anyone who ordered the routed backboard is going to get a refund. It's not needed.

No other modifications are made to the game at all

Here is the plastic without the hole cutouts for the star lights, definitely not needed:

Here is a quick demo of the arduous process of installation. Steps not shown, for LE/CE, unscrew the starmap plastic

#65 4 years ago

Just spoke with Kevin from CPR. Will be putting in final approval shortly, limited initial production run of 20. Several are already spoken for.

#68 4 years ago

Ordering now - promise me you will buy a better phone with some of the proceeds

LOL! It's on the list.. it seems like the only real upgrade is a better camera so it's hard to justify $1k on a phone.

#69 4 years ago

Do you have a concept to show of the water version?

Ha.. actually yes. A few, here are some I was toying with. I have to still line these up with what is visible and where the stars are located but just general concepts. Skyline will be lower on the one with the ship. Trying to get all of the stars in the sky, ideally.

StarmapTest1 (resized).jpgStarmapTest1 (resized).jpgStarmapTest2 (resized).jpgStarmapTest2 (resized).jpg
#71 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

A $300 or under phone will work wonders, if you're on android.

I have a LG V20 which used to be an awesome phone. I don't know what happened to it... it's hella slow (maybe android slows it based on batteries shitting the bed like apple) and the video looks crappy. I used to marvel at it.

Then I toyed with grabbing a fairly new Pixel 2 and then the 3 was announced and I have to battle in my mind not to go grab a $1k+ phone (you know, it's gotta be the biggest screen and most storage). And then... I gotta buy one for the wife (we have the same phone/age).

Isn't that money best put towards more pin stuff?

I keep seeing the whole buy-1-get-1 offers for these kinds of phones too, but you gotta add 2 new lines which means we have to change our phone numbers. Still might do it.

#73 4 years ago

Nothing is stored in my phone, all directly to various clouds. Fuck backing up!

I should reformat. It's a bitch setting everything back up even with Android reinstalling it all. Even with fingerprint, password managers, synced data, etc.

It seems like phones last 2 years. So I can get a year old phone for half the price of bleeding edge, which lasts twice as long. Planned obselenscene maybe. How far apart so I want to spread my payments. The 2 for 1 is also monthly payments, no interest.

#74 4 years ago

I have a tracking number, plastics are on their way to me. I think they are going to ship in seperate boxes than any other item (aside from decals) so even if you ordered the window mod likely the plastic will ship out next week.

#75 4 years ago

Here are the really detailed, very complex installation instructions:

#77 4 years ago

It's 5 minutes of a 1 minute install, lol. Basically remove the old plastic, put the new one in place.

Btw, if you want to use screws (if you're adverse to the double sided tape) you can. I just didn't see the need, the plastic holds everything in place. If anyone wants the holes drilled in the plastic just let me know. I have the template.

#79 4 years ago

Cool. I just got notification that half of the lighting kit is here. Waiting on the LED micro controller and then I just need to program it, hopefully.

#80 4 years ago

Starlight so damn bright! I may be jealous of the SE owners now.

Btw.. those are RGB so it doesn't have to be just white stars!

Starlight (resized).jpgStarlight (resized).jpg

#83 4 years ago

Nothing has shipped. I'm trying to get the lights setup so you can all see before I ship. Plastics should be here this week.

You can add the lights before I ship or they can be added later. Easy install.

#86 4 years ago

Thanks

The SE lighting kit would give the illusion of a starmap. It is a light array with a microcontroller that will created random, twinkling lights in the backboard that will look fairly similar to the starmap. They won't interact with the game at all, more just decoration and fun, completing the look. Shouldn't be too expensive, just two components I think is all I need. Going to program the device over the holiday and see how it turns out. By all my investigation it looks like it will be a nice solution.

If it all works out I'll list it as an option for the galaxy plastic and as an addon if you already purchased the plastic. Should be able to ship them all together.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Do you think it would be worthwhile to supplement the LE/CE's with some added lights to the left and right of the original starmap, to maybe fade things out, and make the starmap look a bit less square and blocked off? It's somewhat tiny...

Damn you! LOL... yes, already on my list to do. The only problem I see is that the lights may look different. But yeah, I'll test that out, I have the parts already to do it.

#89 4 years ago

Mwhahahaa! It's alive!!

Yeah, still playing with the speed and coincidence of stars, but you get the idea. And that plastic is a production sample, no dots in the real one.

#90 4 years ago

Someone with an SE who wants to pull up their playfield. Let's see if the connectors are all there for the starmap. Long shot.. but maybe an "aftermarket" starmap can be retrofitted (with even more leds!)

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Thanks for all your work. The lights seem a little bright, can they be diffused or turned down a bit? I've got an LE now but might experiment with LEDs or fiber optics.

100% customizable

I'm gonna do an add-on kit for existing starmaps

#94 4 years ago

I can hook you up when I get home in a few hours

I'll send you a video of what to look for initially. Then will need to do some testing on my end.

#96 4 years ago

Thanks... figuring out power for this mod. It's pretty intensive so I think I'll have to supply a power adapter to pull line power as I don't think any existing circuit could handle this.

#97 4 years ago

Btw, all of the plastics are going to get a "matte" finish. If anyone is adamantly opposed to this let me know and I can leave yours out. I am going to test and see if it can be removed easily (I think it can) in case you change your mind later. The reason is that the stock plastic is just way too shiny and everything glares off of it. I tested with a prototype and I think it looks much better. Again, this is not the production version (it has the holes, it has darker artwork) but you can see the finish on it compared to prior ones I posted.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Did you post a video of the original star map for comparison?

Like just the jjp original implementation compared to my lights? Let me know what you want to see. I'm working on my twinkle program to look more like the original style.

#102 4 years ago

Oh sure. I am not done with the program for the twinkle (need some adjusting, slowing down the twinkle speed and number of lights on at any one time). I'm also going to throw in a little bit of random color tint to the stars... a bit of blue or red which should give a cool look.

I'll post an update here shortly, I'm waiting on some different WS2812B lighting strips versus the panel I used in the original. This will let me spread the stars out much further and get behind the ships and such. It should look really cool. I think CE/LE owners will want an addon that gives them a similar effect

#105 4 years ago

Two options. The first one I did was have a decal company print on clear window film (the kind you see in store windows that is transparent but has advertisements printed on it) and then just adhered it to the plastic. They can print reverse so it goes on the "inside" of the plastic.

The better option was to just have CPR print them

#106 4 years ago

For SE owners wanting lights. Take a look at this video. All I want to know is if this number of stars (the total number of the lights on the board) looks good to you. This is one option. It's the more cost effective option I think because install is easier. There is another option which will take more work but will give more stars. How many more? Maybe double. Ignore the way the stars flash and timing and such, I'm still writing some code.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

As an se owner. I am good with the number of stars. Less can be more

After looking at the mondo number I tested with originally I really like the look of them spread out, going a lot slower and twinkling more. It's less of an attention getting and more of a landscape painting with subtle interest. I'm going to see if I can fit a few more, working on the mounting system. I do have the other "system" coming (got the wrong strip originally) to see how much work it will be to splice and cut the strips in to the right shapes. Flat 90 turns with strips are time consuming or expensive and it has to be in a series, nothing can be parallel so lots of 90 turns.

#110 4 years ago

The lights only wrap around the toys So not only will you see them all, you aren't paying for lights that you can't see.

Here's the 2nd method.... I know this one is better, sigh. It's just gonna cost more. I found another product that might help, but I have to get it from China (the only place I found that has it in the US is like double the price) and it takes like 2 weeks. This version needs like 50 solder connections and I'm already having issues with consistency in soldering them. I'm trying some other ways to make this work reliably.

Btw, my wife has never looked in to paintballing.

#113 4 years ago

Cool, that makes things easier and cheaper. I'll see if I can get some bulk pricing on the led strings. I'll put up an add on product in the store once I know the costs.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I am pumped on this mod and I am not a mod guy.
Is anyone working on getting the SE GI lighting to be able to change colors?

I have a grip ton of GI boards that I believe fit POTC (they are from WOZ 2.0). I'll confirm. If so, I can send you one to test. I am guessing they will not because this is an easy programming this to change and I wonder if your boards are already RGB (why make just a white one, cost difference is nothing) but the software keeps them from showing any colors. Take a pic of one of your GI boards and post the part number, then we can confirm if they are RGB or not.

#117 4 years ago

Chest lid? You mean the moving one (or the light)? Both of those are pretty final.

The LE version I can mock up tonight or tomorrow. I have everything, just have to figure out the arrangement. Should not be hard.

#120 4 years ago

Buy your lighting!!

Ok, I think I have this priced out. This includes full installation for you (nothing to do but plug it in). It's about 30 LEDs for the SE version. If you order within the next few days we can get it put in to your plastic before we ship. These are attaching directly to the plastic (for the best visual from the front). If we do not get it in time we can send you the lighting strip and controller to install yourself with instructions on how to properly attach and arrange them.

The CE/LE version is listed but I will be posting an example of that soon installed on the game. I'll get videos of both installed. The LE/CE version has less LEDs and they wrap around the starmap. The LEDs do not match the starmap *Exactly* but they are pretty close. Either version is plug and play. There should be no shipping cost on this product and we'll be able to correlate your order by name (so make sure it is shipping to the same name). Before we ship your order we will verify if you placed an order for lighting. Likely that we would be able to ship these out near the end of next week so get your orders in soon.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/galaxy-starmap-backboard-lighting-add-on-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Added over 4 years ago:

Buy your lighting!!

Ok, I think I have this priced out. This includes full installation for you (nothing to do but plug it in). It's about 30 LEDs for the SE version. If you order within the next few days we can get it put in to your plastic before we ship. These are attaching directly to the plastic (for the best visual from the front). If we do not get it in time we can send you the lighting strip and controller to install yourself with instructions on how to properly attach and arrange them.

The CE/LE version is listed but I will be posting an example of that soon installed on the game. I'll get videos of both installed. The LE/CE version has less LEDs and they wrap around the starmap. The LEDs do not match the starmap *Exactly* but they are pretty close. Either version is plug and play. There should be no shipping cost on this product and we'll be able to correlate your order by name (so make sure it is shipping to the same name). Before we ship your order we will verify if you placed an order for lighting. Likely that we would be able to ship these out near the end of next week so get your orders in soon.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

#121 4 years ago

So the SE version is ready to go?

Pretty much. I'm tweaking the programming just a bit and then making a production sample installed on a plastic. I'll post a video of both versions installed soon.

#123 4 years ago

Should I wait on ordering?

Totally up to you. If you want to see what the final looks like, sure. I don't think there would be any reason you wouldn't want it if you like the prototype video.

#127 4 years ago

You can place another order.

#129 4 years ago

Video is being made this weekend!

#130 4 years ago

Here is the production sample of the SE version. Some notes, the plastic has all of the protective coatings on it (front and back). I think the back can be left on (it's what the LEDs are attached to and so it can be removed later if wanted). The brightness is more than enough that it doesn't seem to be need to be removed. Doesn't anyone have thoughts on this?

With the lights it is a much tighter fit but still seems to work ok still. This was put together in about 15 minutes so the actual production versions will take some more time to really lay out the lights and secure everything nicely. That's why one or two of them are sort of pointed away (not sure if you can tell in the video) because I didn't use as much adhesive as we would in the real one. Each light will be attached before and after the light, securing it facing the plastic.

I now see we can move a few lights down and a few up in specific areas, so I have a template for the light install on the plastic now, should be very consistent for us to make them. It looks really good. I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code. The good news is that if anyone wants anything special and has somewhat basic computer skill I can send them a new program to upload.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I agree that slowing it down a bit would look better. Looking forward to seeing a video of the LE version with the added lights. Not sure if I would want the added lights, so when you take that video, please show it both with just the LE stock star lights and the LE with your added star lights.

Sounds good. Personally, I am not sure if I want it either but worth a look for us to see.

#136 4 years ago

Here's the SE one again with a different camera. Old Nikon handheld, might give a better picture... listen to those gears turn, lol. And I changed my spots out for white finally, so no more purple hue. Again, beware the plastic has the coating on (and slightly pulled off on the top) so it's not a good representation of the plastic itself. Just the lights. Pretty happy with the SE version aside from the speed/coincidence on the lighting.

Here is a CE/LE version without the starmap on so you can see where the lights are. It was hard as heck to get these in position. I have another product coming (flat blendable WS2812B strips) which may do much better.

The difference in the light size/style is definitely somewhat apparent. Of course this was in attract mode, so in the game it may be less noticable. The LEDs just have an entirely different display angle and size. I may be happier with the new flat bendable strips, but I'm unconvinced. Maybe with the new programming they will add some ambience and not compete with the speed/size of the starmap lights as much. The problem is the spacing between LEDs in these strips are quite far so I have to deal with a lot of extra wire. The new strip is much more closely spaced as well so just a few strips should cover most of the areas. I also see some areas that could be better aligned (above the BP specifically).

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It looks like they POP on fully lit but then fade out. Should fade in both directions (on and off.)
I think that makes it look faster than the actual frequency or number. Fade in will slow it down.

Yeah, I'm going to "twinkle" them more. So better fading and then some little bursts when they are on. It will be more like starlight show and less like some random blinky lights.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I do kind of like the LE with a few of the additional "Harry stars" as the outliers programmed to twinkle maybe a little less often than the main star map. My reason for the possible "Harry stars" addition is that with the full width plastic and just the original star map stars, it looks a little odd for the "sky" to just have a square area patch of stars twinkle. I like where it is going for the LE Harry. Less is more for these LE/CE "Harry stars" in my opinion. It just needs to blend it out across the backboard so that it doesn't look a little odd without them. Just my input. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll make it available for people who want them. I'll update with a new video with better animation.

#143 4 years ago

Install on any of them is about 5 minutes if you have a beer while doing it.

#145 4 years ago

I was just getting ready to post an update on the lighting. It's all good news.

If you did not order lighting they are already shipping, in order of placement. The only thing that was holding any back at this point was combining it with the chest actuating mod but I talked with my wife and she is going to start shipping all other parts of the orders and we'll ship the chest mod separately so the wait isn't going to be extended.

#147 4 years ago

LE and CE are the "last" case I am working on because it's a bit more complex layout but I believe I am using the same method for both, so good news that way. Also good news is that I think the lighting will be seperate from the plastic (still testing this out) so I think I can provide them separately even if we already shipped your plastic. Let me confirm this solution and post an update and then figure out what it is going to take to produce. I had to order the bulk of the lights from China because no US distributor has them that I can find. If you can't find it on ebay or Amazon in the US then you know it's a hard to find thing. I found a small string, really expensive at blinkin but it isn't viable to use those for all plastics. The China stuff takes like 2-3 weeks to get here so that's basically what I need to wait for. I was hoping to find them closer to me which is what I've been working on but I'm striking out. They arrived yesterday from blinkin so I'm literally plugging them in now.

#148 4 years ago

Ok, the lights are awesome. They can sit really flat, fit the curves I need and look great. This is the solution for sure. SE no problem, that is basically what is shown below. That is old code, I have better twinkles and timing that I'll post a better video of soon. LE/CE I am working on how it fits around the existing starmap lights. The problem is there is no easy way to get all of the lights to sit the same distance from the plastic (the starmap lights and the add-on lights) so they look different. I wish it was simple enough for people to drill a few small holes in their backboard to let the starmap PCB sit flat. There are just two small capacitors which keep it from doing that. I guess I can provide those instructions if people want to do it, I'll probably test it out because I'm anal like that. I'll post a video of both ways so people can see what the light differences look like on the LE/CE.

#151 4 years ago

Cool cool, I'm fairly sure this is it. I am testing now mounting the lights to a seperate, thin piece of plastic so they can be installed separately directly to the backboard and the plastic galaxy piece will float in front of them. If that works out and looks good then I think we have a solid solution.

#152 4 years ago

I'm working on the install instructions now btw for anyone who already got their plastic. It's fairly self explanatory but there are some gotchas and things we learned from test fitting and such especially if you have the starmap.

#153 4 years ago

Well that was fairly easy. Now just have to wait for the strips to get here. Probably should order more.

Some updated programming. I think I might add some buttons to the controller for a bit more tuning. Like star frequency and speed. I have the time now that we're waiting on lights.

Should I auction off the prototype?

0718192041 (resized).jpg0718192041 (resized).jpg0718192042 (resized).jpg0718192042 (resized).jpg
#158 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

None of the lights fade on. Curious if that might improve the effect.
They all pop on full brightness, then fade out.

I can definitely test that.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Very cool; when you get the final LE version up and running I will very likely add this to my order; I just wanted to see how this ended up looking before committing!

I'll have to wait for more lights I think they will look very good but the one consideration is that the starmap PCB does not sit flat unless you drill two small holes in the backboard. IF you do this, then I think they will mesh in with the starmap lights very closely. If you don't then some of the lights will sit a bit further away from the plastic than the others. So some will be more focused and smaller in size versus others. That could look just fine, different size stars and whatnot. I am on the fence, I haven't drilled my backboard yet but I will do it and confirm how easy it is to do and what it looks like from the front in both scenarios. I'll post a video so everyone can decide if they like it and/or want to drill their backboard. It's no rush either because I have to wait for the lights.

#161 4 years ago

If you did not order the light add on then orders have started to ship which include the plastic. There is a big combination of order items, some with light addons, some with chest mods. We're working through them trying to ship out partial orders if it makes sense to get stuff out as quick as possible. With the lighting on this mod specifically it will be about 2 weeks until it can start to ship since I am waiting for the lighting.

I just found out there was a communication error with my wife, we did not send out any 3M VHT strips with the plastics. This would be used to mount your starmap PCB if you have a LE/CE and already got a plastic. I don't even know if that is the case, but just in case.. SE should not need any double sided tape but if you want some (It's expensive so don't go buy a roll) I'll be happy to send some to anyone who requests. It should not be needed at all as the plastic stays in with friction, only to keep the starmap PCB attached (or you can use two of the screws to hold it in). Read the instructions to prepare for install (heh) and I will post a video shortly (if I haven't already, but I'll add it to the instructions page) so you can see how I did it.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-installation-instructions

Added over 4 years ago:

If you did not order the light add on then orders have started to ship which include the plastic. There is a big combination of order items, some with light addons, some with chest mods. We're working through them trying to ship out partial orders if it makes sense to get stuff out as quick as possible. With the lighting on this mod specifically it will be about 2 weeks until it can start to ship since I am waiting for the lighting.

I just found out there was a communication error with my wife, we did not send out any 3M VHT strips with the plastics. This would be used to mount your starmap PCB if you have a LE/CE and already got a plastic. I don't even know if that is the case, but just in case.. SE should not need any double sided tape but if you want some (It's expensive so don't go buy a roll) I'll be happy to send some to anyone who requests. It should not be needed at all as the plastic stays in with friction, only to keep the starmap PCB attached (or you can use two of the screws to hold it in). Read the instructions to prepare for install (heh) and I will post a video shortly (if I haven't already, but I'll add it to the instructions page) so you can see how I did it.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-install-instructions

#162 4 years ago

Yay, the first of the special light strips have arrived! And the arduinos. We're in production now!

Btw, I have some ideas on the LE/CE consistency concern of mine. Not that anyone else sounded concerned, lol. But I'm anal. So I'll be posting an updated view for those with LE/CE and want more lights around the starmap.

Also, for anyone concerned. If you happened to get your plastic shipped out but not your lights, don't worry. We started shipping as much as possible so you didn't have to wait. In tandem, the lights don't need to be "installed" by us. They will come to you separately from the plastic but as installed as if we shipped them together. In other words, there is no more or less work to do if you get them separately. You can install the plastic right away and still add the lights anytime, easily. I'd only caution to leave the backing on the plastic JUST in case you want it on there when you get the lights. It diffuses them a bit and adds more protection to the back of the plastic since it is a tight fit.

As a side note, don't be alarmed, but we sold out of the plastics Everyone's getting theirs, of course. We'll do another small run and see what happens. The demand was pretty amazing. I'm also printing an extremely limited run of the "ocean" graphic. I posted some prior ideas here, going to finalize one of those. If you're at all interested, you might want to post here so I can get an idea. Otherwise I'm just ordering a handful of the 2nd design. I want to be able to swap mine around.

1 week later
#163 4 years ago

Installation instructions have been updated with the video as well as the drilling template. If you have a LE or CE and want the PCB to sit as flush as possible, this is how you can do it. Two small holes, you'll never see them even if you remove the backboard plastic for some crazy reason. There are methods for keeping the holes from tearing out so much and you can color them in with black paint pens or a brush. Again, you'll never see them.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-installation-instructions

Added over 4 years ago:

Installation instructions have been updated with the video as well as the drilling template. If you have a LE or CE and want the PCB to sit as flush as possible, this is how you can do it. Two small holes, you'll never see them even if you remove the backboard plastic for some crazy reason. There are methods for keeping the holes from tearing out so much and you can color them in with black paint pens or a brush. Again, you'll never see them.

#165 4 years ago

You and Marc both!

All the supplies are here and I have two made. I put them on hold so we could get the chest mod out, which is basically happening right now so I'll get back on these this weekend. Should be able to ship all the SE versions next week. If I don't have any issues I should be able to knock out the LE/CE as well.

2 weeks later
#170 4 years ago

Sorry guys, had to go out of town while I am trying to nail down this code. I am expecting to fix the last few bugs and get the SE versions shipped out in the next day or two with the LE/CE following. We have about 10 made so the hardware is good. All lighting will come with the 4 button keypad which allows for a bunch of control over color, brightness, speed and randomness. Tracking numbers will be automatically sent when we ship yours, thanks for the patience and hopefully the expanded controls will make up for it.

#171 4 years ago

OK! I think the lighting is ready!

#173 4 years ago

Yeah, I hear ya. I could have shipped a crappier product with less control but it took like 4-5 different LED strips to find the right one, etc.

I think we'll have all the SE shipped out this week, so look for an email with a tracking number. For you, likely tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience!

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Just got the notice my SE shipped. Looking forward to installing this one.

Trooper11040 should have his tracking number too

I'll do the install video here soon, not much to it but I want to be thorough.

#178 4 years ago

Heh, as a fellow pinball mod consumer I can relate! Glad you like it!

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

All good! A little tight on the lefthand side, the ship after getting his by the cannon was sticking. Just gotta get some double sided tape to keep it in posistion better.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ya, my bad. In the rush to get the initial ones out I forgot the tape.

#182 4 years ago

LE/CE versions are being produced and shipped. So if you've been waiting for one, they are on the way out!

#184 4 years ago

Sorry, I promised a video! The connector is down there... if you prop the playfield up and look at the bottom with the orange bundle of wires, it is within those. I'll post a quick video here, going to take it now.

#186 4 years ago

On the SE yes, it would be unused. Here is the video:

Says still processing, give it a few. I go over basic install and power connections.

#188 4 years ago

Replied!

The remote should have a sticker on it, if not I can post it. Buttons face inward and top left is color, top right is brightness, bottom left is effect randomness and bottom right is speed.

#190 4 years ago

LOL

Glad it all worked out. Always on pins and needles when I first start sending stuff out.

#192 4 years ago

The masking on the plastic background was left on, on purpose. It protects the back paint/ink and can diffuse the starlight if you want it. You can remove it anytime

Yeah, honestly, I'm debating even installing my starmap again. I might just put the lights. I really have never understood how to read the thing and I don't see why I'd bother at this point. Too much else going on in the game anyhow.

2 weeks later
#195 4 years ago
Quoted from KevinG:

Can’t decide which settings make for the best looking effect. What’s the best settings for the most amount of visible stars that fade in and out rather slowly. They don’t need to be super bright. I think that’s the effect I’m looking for, but I don’t feel I’m mixing it correctly to achieve this. Any suggestion?

Glad you like it!

Brightness will play a part in how much dimming can be had. The brighter the stars are overall the more levels of dimming there are and the slower the stars can go. Obviously you adjust this, as well, using the randomness (bottom left button, how often stars show) and speed (bottom right, how quickly they show and fade). I kept mine in a fairly slow fade with a decent amount of stars. Play around, show us a video of what looks best

3 weeks later
#198 4 years ago

Heads up on this. I have 3 or 4 plastics left and I'm not going to reorder after that, so this is all that is left. If you wanted one, get in on it.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Any Vids of an LE installation? I'd like to see one. : )

Oh geeze, I just saw this post. I'll take a video.

1 month later
#201 4 years ago

We've had continued interest so we're looking at placing another order for these. If you have been waiting to order I'll wait a few days to place the order so I can gauge further interest.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

You should raise the cut out for the BP VUK somewhat if you do another run to avoid having to modify it to fit some games.
Have you considered doing a run matching the color scheme of the JJP star map plastic? I like your current color scheme but think it would also look good in the original colors and would probably buy another one.

It's actually supposed to slip behind the VUK, the pressure helps keep it in place. Was that not your experience?

I considered tweaking the colors a bit for another run, or another image (ocean, rocks, sky) but didn't seem to be that much interest. If others post that they would like that I could do a small run. There is some inherent additional cost with the prototype needing to be made, shipped and compared to the original since we'll only really know the printed color once it is produced.

The plastic is available to order for anyone who wanted to get in on the latest run. There are only a handful not yet spoken for. Should be ready to ship in a few weeks, depending on how busy CPR is.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

There was no way my backboard would fit without cutting a notch so that it could slip down further where the VUK is closest to the machine backboard. If you watch the McSirTuna tech stream on Buffalo Pinball he had the exact same issue. You’d think it would be consistent across machines but that doesn’t seem to be the case with anything on Pirates. If you raised the cutout a 1/2” or so it would solve the issue with no downside. It would still be held in place by the VUK.

Crazy, I figured there would be enough flex there even to account for discrepancies. Maybe it's because I've removed and reinstalled my VUK so many times, but I didn't hear from anyone else. I can certainly modify, thanks!

#208 4 years ago

Ok, I'll see about doing this

#209 4 years ago

Talked to CPR and they are willing to do a small run of a different image. I am going to tweak the image to have a color hue similar to the original plastic or find an image that matches better.

#210 4 years ago

Here is the original sky image and a new option which is meant to match the original "red" sky more closely. The green line is the cut line, so anything outside that area will not be printed and remember that several areas are hidden once installed. For those who want to purchase this version I am only getting a few printed and I'll look for your feedback for those who wanted to purchase this version.

Obviously this is low resolution. The only thing I have to go on is my original starmap plastic so I tried to match the hue and tone of that closely. It's mostly red and black, really. Mine might even be a bit too bright but I left the darker area where the starmap lighting will be to match the original starmap plastic intent.
OriginalSky (resized).jpgOriginalSky (resized).jpg

SkyAlt (resized).jpgSkyAlt (resized).jpg
#212 4 years ago

Yup, the lighting options are available for the current design and will be for the new design. Same lighting.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-plastics/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

I'll add the option for the design there soon. Want to make sure this is the final look.

No removal of the BP needed. The plastic install takes literally just a few minutes, slightly longer if you are installing the lighting as well. A few screws to remove the old starmap plastic and then just slip the new one in to place.

#214 4 years ago

Ok, I'm placing the order. They are on the site to purchase as "Classic Reddish Sky" (yes, that's the best name I could come up with)

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-plastics/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

1 month later
#215 4 years ago

Latest batch has arrived, all orders will be going out ASAP. I'll post a pic of the new design once I put one on my game, gotta wait for the clear coat to dry.

#216 4 years ago

Here is the "red" version to match the original closer.

20191230_205450 (resized).jpg20191230_205450 (resized).jpg20191230_205504 (resized).jpg20191230_205504 (resized).jpg
#217 4 years ago
20200101_165234 (resized).jpg20200101_165234 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#219 4 years ago

Nice! I believe there are settings in the game to change the starmap lighting, maybe I'm wrong but I was just in there and I thought I saw some.

I tried to get it all as close as possible, but the LEDs that JJP used on their PCB aren't easily available for the kind of format I needed to implement the stars. I sort of like the difference so I can see the starmap lights versus the rest of the inconsequential lights but I still don't know how to read the starmap so I guess it doesn't matter, lol.

#220 4 years ago

Had a question today if the starmap PCB could be mounted on top of our plastic. The only accommodation needed would be holes in our plastic, easily drilled. The better part was when I held up the starmap plastic to the new "reddish sky" plastic option we created and they match pretty close. Ours has a matte coating but it can be polished off with Novus if you want the sheen to match or you can apply a clear coat matte to your starmap to make it match.

1 month later
#223 4 years ago

Nice job! You should throw that video on youtube so it's easier for people to see. I can do it if you want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-be-interested-in-replacement-star-map-plastic-for-jjpotc?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.