(Topic ID: 244059)

JJP POTC Galaxy Backboard & Twinkling Star Mod - Shipping!

By harryhoudini

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 224 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B0BBBEFD-0827-43D7-9C04-1CE10F01A220 (resized).jpeg
69364991-EBEC-417F-8C75-994CB00006CE (resized).jpeg
38025BA6-609C-4162-9621-BE4AD896EC8A (resized).jpeg
E67C61B8-A639-4C56-9702-9B29C6C12D4B (resized).jpeg
DE004A04-0DBB-47E4-8B93-E7EF096578D5 (resized).jpeg
66BD6F96-2352-4097-99F6-BB51EB0864FD (resized).jpeg
75E80D51-A64F-48C8-9690-3E1852C318E4 (resized).jpeg
FBA78604-FA74-4607-9FE5-C44FCD8F5DC0 (resized).jpeg
F9D80309-0FE7-4DB0-B169-4BDA7E770F7B (resized).jpeg
801F4274-2F00-4B79-97C4-77882F97949B (resized).jpeg
52F879B1-1776-42BF-A5D7-F52AE74F604B (resized).jpeg
B9C174BE-F0E6-49FF-B234-E3AD66F1F20B (resized).jpeg
20200101_165234 (resized).jpg
20191230_205504 (resized).jpg
20191230_205450 (resized).jpg
SkyAlt (resized).jpg

There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 months ago

Cool cool, I'm fairly sure this is it. I am testing now mounting the lights to a seperate, thin piece of plastic so they can be installed separately directly to the backboard and the plastic galaxy piece will float in front of them. If that works out and looks good then I think we have a solid solution.

#152 10 months ago

I'm working on the install instructions now btw for anyone who already got their plastic. It's fairly self explanatory but there are some gotchas and things we learned from test fitting and such especially if you have the starmap.

#153 10 months ago

Well that was fairly easy. Now just have to wait for the strips to get here. Probably should order more.

Some updated programming. I think I might add some buttons to the controller for a bit more tuning. Like star frequency and speed. I have the time now that we're waiting on lights.

Should I auction off the prototype?

0718192041 (resized).jpg0718192042 (resized).jpg
#154 10 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Well that was fairly easy. Now just have to wait for the strips to get here. Probably should order more.
Some updated programming. I think I might add some buttons to the controller for a bit more tuning. Like star frequency and speed. I have the time now that we're waiting on lights.
Should I auction off the prototype?
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really sweet! I think controls would be an excellent idea. Some might like a lesser twinkle speed, for SE, and with LE, maybe higher speed to match.

#155 10 months ago

Very cool; when you get the final LE version up and running I will very likely add this to my order; I just wanted to see how this ended up looking before committing!

#157 10 months ago

None of the lights fade on. Curious if that might improve the effect.

They all pop on full brightness, then fade out.

#158 10 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

None of the lights fade on. Curious if that might improve the effect.
They all pop on full brightness, then fade out.

I can definitely test that.

#159 10 months ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Very cool; when you get the final LE version up and running I will very likely add this to my order; I just wanted to see how this ended up looking before committing!

I'll have to wait for more lights I think they will look very good but the one consideration is that the starmap PCB does not sit flat unless you drill two small holes in the backboard. IF you do this, then I think they will mesh in with the starmap lights very closely. If you don't then some of the lights will sit a bit further away from the plastic than the others. So some will be more focused and smaller in size versus others. That could look just fine, different size stars and whatnot. I am on the fence, I haven't drilled my backboard yet but I will do it and confirm how easy it is to do and what it looks like from the front in both scenarios. I'll post a video so everyone can decide if they like it and/or want to drill their backboard. It's no rush either because I have to wait for the lights.

#160 10 months ago

Any word on these shipping for the SE owners?

Dan

#161 10 months ago

If you did not order the light add on then orders have started to ship which include the plastic. There is a big combination of order items, some with light addons, some with chest mods. We're working through them trying to ship out partial orders if it makes sense to get stuff out as quick as possible. With the lighting on this mod specifically it will be about 2 weeks until it can start to ship since I am waiting for the lighting.

I just found out there was a communication error with my wife, we did not send out any 3M VHT strips with the plastics. This would be used to mount your starmap PCB if you have a LE/CE and already got a plastic. I don't even know if that is the case, but just in case.. SE should not need any double sided tape but if you want some (It's expensive so don't go buy a roll) I'll be happy to send some to anyone who requests. It should not be needed at all as the plastic stays in with friction, only to keep the starmap PCB attached (or you can use two of the screws to hold it in). Read the instructions to prepare for install (heh) and I will post a video shortly (if I haven't already, but I'll add it to the instructions page) so you can see how I did it.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-installation-instructions

Added 138 days ago:

If you did not order the light add on then orders have started to ship which include the plastic. There is a big combination of order items, some with light addons, some with chest mods. We're working through them trying to ship out partial orders if it makes sense to get stuff out as quick as possible. With the lighting on this mod specifically it will be about 2 weeks until it can start to ship since I am waiting for the lighting.

I just found out there was a communication error with my wife, we did not send out any 3M VHT strips with the plastics. This would be used to mount your starmap PCB if you have a LE/CE and already got a plastic. I don't even know if that is the case, but just in case.. SE should not need any double sided tape but if you want some (It's expensive so don't go buy a roll) I'll be happy to send some to anyone who requests. It should not be needed at all as the plastic stays in with friction, only to keep the starmap PCB attached (or you can use two of the screws to hold it in). Read the instructions to prepare for install (heh) and I will post a video shortly (if I haven't already, but I'll add it to the instructions page) so you can see how I did it.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-install-instructions

#162 10 months ago

Yay, the first of the special light strips have arrived! And the arduinos. We're in production now!

Btw, I have some ideas on the LE/CE consistency concern of mine. Not that anyone else sounded concerned, lol. But I'm anal. So I'll be posting an updated view for those with LE/CE and want more lights around the starmap.

Also, for anyone concerned. If you happened to get your plastic shipped out but not your lights, don't worry. We started shipping as much as possible so you didn't have to wait. In tandem, the lights don't need to be "installed" by us. They will come to you separately from the plastic but as installed as if we shipped them together. In other words, there is no more or less work to do if you get them separately. You can install the plastic right away and still add the lights anytime, easily. I'd only caution to leave the backing on the plastic JUST in case you want it on there when you get the lights. It diffuses them a bit and adds more protection to the back of the plastic since it is a tight fit.

As a side note, don't be alarmed, but we sold out of the plastics Everyone's getting theirs, of course. We'll do another small run and see what happens. The demand was pretty amazing. I'm also printing an extremely limited run of the "ocean" graphic. I posted some prior ideas here, going to finalize one of those. If you're at all interested, you might want to post here so I can get an idea. Otherwise I'm just ordering a handful of the 2nd design. I want to be able to swap mine around.

1 week later
#163 10 months ago

Installation instructions have been updated with the video as well as the drilling template. If you have a LE or CE and want the PCB to sit as flush as possible, this is how you can do it. Two small holes, you'll never see them even if you remove the backboard plastic for some crazy reason. There are methods for keeping the holes from tearing out so much and you can color them in with black paint pens or a brush. Again, you'll never see them.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-installation-instructions

Added 138 days ago:

Installation instructions have been updated with the video as well as the drilling template. If you have a LE or CE and want the PCB to sit as flush as possible, this is how you can do it. Two small holes, you'll never see them even if you remove the backboard plastic for some crazy reason. There are methods for keeping the holes from tearing out so much and you can color them in with black paint pens or a brush. Again, you'll never see them.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-backboard-galaxy-plastic-install-instructions

#164 9 months ago

Bump. When are these shipping? I need this mod to complete the look

#165 9 months ago

You and Marc both!

All the supplies are here and I have two made. I put them on hold so we could get the chest mod out, which is basically happening right now so I'll get back on these this weekend. Should be able to ship all the SE versions next week. If I don't have any issues I should be able to knock out the LE/CE as well.

1 week later
#166 9 months ago

Has any one received these yet?

#167 9 months ago

Add me to LE list if not already on.

#168 9 months ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Has any one received these yet?

Not yet

#169 9 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Add me to LE list if not already on.

You can go to his website and order one with or without the added lights.

#170 9 months ago

Sorry guys, had to go out of town while I am trying to nail down this code. I am expecting to fix the last few bugs and get the SE versions shipped out in the next day or two with the LE/CE following. We have about 10 made so the hardware is good. All lighting will come with the 4 button keypad which allows for a bunch of control over color, brightness, speed and randomness. Tracking numbers will be automatically sent when we ship yours, thanks for the patience and hopefully the expanded controls will make up for it.

#171 9 months ago

OK! I think the lighting is ready!

#172 9 months ago

So what’s the ETA? This wait time is getting a bit long Scott...i know many of us paid in early July...maybe it’s time to put the chest mods on hold for a few days and finish these orders...I’m not trying to be a dick but I would like my order already...

#173 9 months ago

Yeah, I hear ya. I could have shipped a crappier product with less control but it took like 4-5 different LED strips to find the right one, etc.

I think we'll have all the SE shipped out this week, so look for an email with a tracking number. For you, likely tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience!

#174 9 months ago

Just got the notice my SE shipped. Looking forward to installing this one.

#175 9 months ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Just got the notice my SE shipped. Looking forward to installing this one.

trooper11040 should have his tracking number too

I'll do the install video here soon, not much to it but I want to be thorough.

#176 9 months ago

Can’t wait to get it tomorrow!! Thank you

#177 9 months ago

harryhoudini I know I drove you nuts about getting this but it’s awesome! I love it!

Dan

#178 9 months ago

Heh, as a fellow pinball mod consumer I can relate! Glad you like it!

#179 9 months ago

All good! A little tight on the lefthand side, the ship after getting his by the cannon was sticking. Just gotta get some double sided tape to keep it in posistion better.

20190830_175043 (resized).jpg20190830_175251 (resized).jpg20190830_175251 (resized).jpg20190830_175254 (resized).jpg
#180 9 months ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

All good! A little tight on the lefthand side, the ship after getting his by the cannon was sticking. Just gotta get some double sided tape to keep it in posistion better.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ya, my bad. In the rush to get the initial ones out I forgot the tape.

#181 9 months ago

So I installed this last night. Super easy and very intuitive...Harry supplies a little remote that lets you change the settings (Hue, Speed, Pattern, etc). It really gives the SE a much better appearance in my opinion that the stock LE star map. This one when set right, is very subtle and just looks like it was meant to be there. I’m very happy I got one!!!

#182 9 months ago

LE/CE versions are being produced and shipped. So if you've been waiting for one, they are on the way out!

#183 9 months ago

I give. Where do you plug in the lights with the SE?

#184 9 months ago

Sorry, I promised a video! The connector is down there... if you prop the playfield up and look at the bottom with the orange bundle of wires, it is within those. I'll post a quick video here, going to take it now.

#185 9 months ago

is it an unused/unconnected one?

#186 9 months ago

On the SE yes, it would be unused. Here is the video:

Says still processing, give it a few. I go over basic install and power connections.

#187 9 months ago

Found it! The cable was tied back into the black conduit that runs down from the head. It works . Now to figure out how the remote works as well. I also sent you an email, on a question I have.
Thx
Sully

#188 9 months ago

Replied!

The remote should have a sticker on it, if not I can post it. Buttons face inward and top left is color, top right is brightness, bottom left is effect randomness and bottom right is speed.

#189 9 months ago

Ok. The mod is installed and “tuned” to my liking. I decided to leave the back protective coating on as it diffuses the light. All I can say Harry is EXCELLENT!!!

This is easily the best 100 dollar mod I have ever purchased! Bar none.

Now as a proud SE owner , my game has the more desirable Star Panel to go along with the far more desirable Stainless Trim. Take that all you LE owners .

#190 9 months ago

LOL

Glad it all worked out. Always on pins and needles when I first start sending stuff out.

#191 9 months ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Ok. The mod is installed and “tuned” to my liking. I decided to leave the back protective coating on as it diffuses the light. All I can say Harry is EXCELLENT!!!
This is easily the best 100 dollar mod I have ever purchased! Bar none.
Now as a proud SE owner , my game has the more desirable Star Panel to go along with the far more desirable Stainless Trim. Take that all you LE owners .

I agree...this star map is MILES ahead of the LE version...it looks like its a part of the game...absolutely love it! Oh btw...were we supposed to take off that protective coating? lol...I didn't...

#192 9 months ago

The masking on the plastic background was left on, on purpose. It protects the back paint/ink and can diffuse the starlight if you want it. You can remove it anytime

Yeah, honestly, I'm debating even installing my starmap again. I might just put the lights. I really have never understood how to read the thing and I don't see why I'd bother at this point. Too much else going on in the game anyhow.

2 weeks later
#193 8 months ago

Just received my Galaxy Starmap today and it looks incredible! So glad I have an SE now because this looks much better than the LE/CE. Installed in minutes with no problems! Great job! Now on to the treasure chest lid mod!!

#194 8 months ago

Can’t decide which settings make for the best looking effect. What’s the best settings for the most amount of visible stars that fade in and out rather slowly. They don’t need to be super bright. I think that’s the effect I’m looking for, but I don’t feel I’m mixing it correctly to achieve this. Any suggestion?

#195 8 months ago
Quoted from KevinG:

Can’t decide which settings make for the best looking effect. What’s the best settings for the most amount of visible stars that fade in and out rather slowly. They don’t need to be super bright. I think that’s the effect I’m looking for, but I don’t feel I’m mixing it correctly to achieve this. Any suggestion?

Glad you like it!

Brightness will play a part in how much dimming can be had. The brighter the stars are overall the more levels of dimming there are and the slower the stars can go. Obviously you adjust this, as well, using the randomness (bottom left button, how often stars show) and speed (bottom right, how quickly they show and fade). I kept mine in a fairly slow fade with a decent amount of stars. Play around, show us a video of what looks best

3 weeks later
#196 7 months ago

I recently installed the star map mod and thought it would be helpful to share some tips. Installation on my machine was kinda tricky and took hours not minutes, but like the chest mod I definetly think it was worth the effort.

1. The mod backboard would not go far enough down on my machine without enlarging the cutout for the Black Pearl VUK. The VUK sits tight against the machine backboard, and there is no adjustment tolerance where it attaches to the playfield. I tried sanding about 1/4" off the top of the mod cutout, but that still wasn't enough. The fix was to cut a 3/16"vertical groove about 1/2" long where the edge of the VUK contacts the backboard. Of course I couldn't find my Dremel so it took over an hour vs. 15-minutes. Also had to take the top of the Dauntless off to create enough room to manipulate the backboard in-place.

2. Don't use Novus 2 on the backboard. The backboard scratches easily so I tried removing with some Novus. It worked but also took the mat finish off. The mat finish is a good idea to reduce reflections but you need to be very gentle. I'd recommend temporarily putting some cling or transparency film on to protect it during installation. In the end, the effected area was small and is completely unnoticeable.

3. The fit was too tight to just bow the mod backboard around the star map circuit board without cutting holes out for the capacitors. This wasn't too bad but the spacing needs to be spot-on, so center punching the holes before drilling is a must. Also recommend putting painters tape on both sides to help prevent the wood from splintering, and using a new step drill bit like this: amazon.com link »

4. Even with holes for the capacitors, I wasn't comfortable just taping the circuit board directly onto the machine backboard. Instead, I attached it using the smaller, 1/8" spacers from the original star map and some shorter 1/2" pop-bumper screws. I used some 3M 467MP transfer tape to hold the spacers on the circuit board during installation. Also used the same tape to attach the mod led light board.
IMG_1897 (resized).jpg

#197 7 months ago

Any Vids of an LE installation? I'd like to see one. : )

#198 7 months ago

Heads up on this. I have 3 or 4 plastics left and I'm not going to reorder after that, so this is all that is left. If you wanted one, get in on it.

#199 7 months ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Any Vids of an LE installation? I'd like to see one. : )

Oh geeze, I just saw this post. I'll take a video.

#200 7 months ago

I just listen to Pat Lawlor speech from the expo, i think this Saturday JJP is going to announce their games are going online soon.

skip to 39.35

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 233.10
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
13,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Rutledge, PA
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside