(Topic ID: 244059)

JJP POTC Galaxy Backboard & Twinkling Star Mod - Shipping!

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 224 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B0BBBEFD-0827-43D7-9C04-1CE10F01A220 (resized).jpeg
69364991-EBEC-417F-8C75-994CB00006CE (resized).jpeg
38025BA6-609C-4162-9621-BE4AD896EC8A (resized).jpeg
E67C61B8-A639-4C56-9702-9B29C6C12D4B (resized).jpeg
DE004A04-0DBB-47E4-8B93-E7EF096578D5 (resized).jpeg
66BD6F96-2352-4097-99F6-BB51EB0864FD (resized).jpeg
75E80D51-A64F-48C8-9690-3E1852C318E4 (resized).jpeg
FBA78604-FA74-4607-9FE5-C44FCD8F5DC0 (resized).jpeg
F9D80309-0FE7-4DB0-B169-4BDA7E770F7B (resized).jpeg
801F4274-2F00-4B79-97C4-77882F97949B (resized).jpeg
52F879B1-1776-42BF-A5D7-F52AE74F604B (resized).jpeg
B9C174BE-F0E6-49FF-B234-E3AD66F1F20B (resized).jpeg
20200101_165234 (resized).jpg
20191230_205504 (resized).jpg
20191230_205450 (resized).jpg
SkyAlt (resized).jpg
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Like just the jjp original implementation compared to my lights? Let me know what you want to see. I'm working on my twinkle program to look more like the original style.

Yes original implementation vid please. Trying to gauge the scope and impact of this mod.

#102 4 years ago

Oh sure. I am not done with the program for the twinkle (need some adjusting, slowing down the twinkle speed and number of lights on at any one time). I'm also going to throw in a little bit of random color tint to the stars... a bit of blue or red which should give a cool look.

I'll post an update here shortly, I'm waiting on some different WS2812B lighting strips versus the panel I used in the original. This will let me spread the stars out much further and get behind the ships and such. It should look really cool. I think CE/LE owners will want an addon that gives them a similar effect

#103 4 years ago

Oh sure. I am not done with the program for the twinkle (need some adjusting, slowing down the twinkle speed and number of lights on at any one time). I'm also going to throw in a little bit of random color tint to the stars... a bit of blue or red which should give a cool look.
I'll post an update here shortly, I'm waiting on some different WS2812B lighting strips versus the panel I used in the original. This will let me spread the stars out much further and get behind the ships and such. It should look really cool. I think CE/LE owners will want an addon that gives them a similar effect

Yeeesssss!

#104 4 years ago

If I can ask, how did you print this on the acrylic? I have been trying to figure out if I can do that at home for a couple of plastics and topper ideas I have but couldn't get past the printing part of it. Any home solution available that turns out OK?

#105 4 years ago

Two options. The first one I did was have a decal company print on clear window film (the kind you see in store windows that is transparent but has advertisements printed on it) and then just adhered it to the plastic. They can print reverse so it goes on the "inside" of the plastic.

The better option was to just have CPR print them

#106 4 years ago

For SE owners wanting lights. Take a look at this video. All I want to know is if this number of stars (the total number of the lights on the board) looks good to you. This is one option. It's the more cost effective option I think because install is easier. There is another option which will take more work but will give more stars. How many more? Maybe double. Ignore the way the stars flash and timing and such, I'm still writing some code.

#107 4 years ago

As an se owner. I am good with the number of stars. Less can be more

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

As an se owner. I am good with the number of stars. Less can be more

After looking at the mondo number I tested with originally I really like the look of them spread out, going a lot slower and twinkling more. It's less of an attention getting and more of a landscape painting with subtle interest. I'm going to see if I can fit a few more, working on the mounting system. I do have the other "system" coming (got the wrong strip originally) to see how much work it will be to splice and cut the strips in to the right shapes. Flat 90 turns with strips are time consuming or expensive and it has to be in a series, nothing can be parallel so lots of 90 turns.

#109 4 years ago

Just got home and was looking at the backboard area on my SE. One other thought is there are enough lights, but, will they be seen with all the toys such as the Black Pearl. I would think you you want to also check all the lights can be seen from the players perspective. looks like a cool mod. Thx

#110 4 years ago

The lights only wrap around the toys So not only will you see them all, you aren't paying for lights that you can't see.

Here's the 2nd method.... I know this one is better, sigh. It's just gonna cost more. I found another product that might help, but I have to get it from China (the only place I found that has it in the US is like double the price) and it takes like 2 weeks. This version needs like 50 solder connections and I'm already having issues with consistency in soldering them. I'm trying some other ways to make this work reliably.

Btw, my wife has never looked in to paintballing.

#111 4 years ago

I agree the fewer, slower lights look more natural. It's better.

The increased number of lights with the faster blinking look more like an artificial Vegas show.

#112 4 years ago

LE owner here, but the fewer lights look better. The ones with more lights - you can see them lined up in the rows the way that they are lighting off. Fewer, less often lit (slower) is better.

#113 4 years ago

Cool, that makes things easier and cheaper. I'll see if I can get some bulk pricing on the led strings. I'll put up an add on product in the store once I know the costs.

#114 4 years ago

I am pumped on this mod and I am not a mod guy.

Is anyone working on getting the SE GI lighting to be able to change colors?

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I am pumped on this mod and I am not a mod guy.
Is anyone working on getting the SE GI lighting to be able to change colors?

I have a grip ton of GI boards that I believe fit POTC (they are from WOZ 2.0). I'll confirm. If so, I can send you one to test. I am guessing they will not because this is an easy programming this to change and I wonder if your boards are already RGB (why make just a white one, cost difference is nothing) but the software keeps them from showing any colors. Take a pic of one of your GI boards and post the part number, then we can confirm if they are RGB or not.

#116 4 years ago

Stay focused. Waiting for you to complete the LE version with the added extra stars to see what that looks like (and the final chest lid)

#117 4 years ago

Chest lid? You mean the moving one (or the light)? Both of those are pretty final.

The LE version I can mock up tonight or tomorrow. I have everything, just have to figure out the arrangement. Should not be hard.

#118 4 years ago

Looks awesome! Ordered!

#119 4 years ago

So the SE version is ready to go?

#120 4 years ago

Buy your lighting!!

Ok, I think I have this priced out. This includes full installation for you (nothing to do but plug it in). It's about 30 LEDs for the SE version. If you order within the next few days we can get it put in to your plastic before we ship. These are attaching directly to the plastic (for the best visual from the front). If we do not get it in time we can send you the lighting strip and controller to install yourself with instructions on how to properly attach and arrange them.

The CE/LE version is listed but I will be posting an example of that soon installed on the game. I'll get videos of both installed. The LE/CE version has less LEDs and they wrap around the starmap. The LEDs do not match the starmap *Exactly* but they are pretty close. Either version is plug and play. There should be no shipping cost on this product and we'll be able to correlate your order by name (so make sure it is shipping to the same name). Before we ship your order we will verify if you placed an order for lighting. Likely that we would be able to ship these out near the end of next week so get your orders in soon.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/galaxy-starmap-backboard-lighting-add-on-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Added over 4 years ago:

Buy your lighting!!

Ok, I think I have this priced out. This includes full installation for you (nothing to do but plug it in). It's about 30 LEDs for the SE version. If you order within the next few days we can get it put in to your plastic before we ship. These are attaching directly to the plastic (for the best visual from the front). If we do not get it in time we can send you the lighting strip and controller to install yourself with instructions on how to properly attach and arrange them.

The CE/LE version is listed but I will be posting an example of that soon installed on the game. I'll get videos of both installed. The LE/CE version has less LEDs and they wrap around the starmap. The LEDs do not match the starmap *Exactly* but they are pretty close. Either version is plug and play. There should be no shipping cost on this product and we'll be able to correlate your order by name (so make sure it is shipping to the same name). Before we ship your order we will verify if you placed an order for lighting. Likely that we would be able to ship these out near the end of next week so get your orders in soon.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

So the SE version is ready to go?

Pretty much. I'm tweaking the programming just a bit and then making a production sample installed on a plastic. I'll post a video of both versions installed soon.

#122 4 years ago

Should I wait on ordering?

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Should I wait on ordering?

Totally up to you. If you want to see what the final looks like, sure. I don't think there would be any reason you wouldn't want it if you like the prototype video.

#124 4 years ago

Just ordered mine. Pretty easy.

#125 4 years ago

Ordered!

#126 4 years ago

Oops thing I messed up...I didn’t add the plastic

#127 4 years ago

You can place another order.

#128 4 years ago

SE version ordered

Are there installation instructions included?

#129 4 years ago

Video is being made this weekend!

#130 4 years ago

Here is the production sample of the SE version. Some notes, the plastic has all of the protective coatings on it (front and back). I think the back can be left on (it's what the LEDs are attached to and so it can be removed later if wanted). The brightness is more than enough that it doesn't seem to be need to be removed. Doesn't anyone have thoughts on this?

With the lights it is a much tighter fit but still seems to work ok still. This was put together in about 15 minutes so the actual production versions will take some more time to really lay out the lights and secure everything nicely. That's why one or two of them are sort of pointed away (not sure if you can tell in the video) because I didn't use as much adhesive as we would in the real one. Each light will be attached before and after the light, securing it facing the plastic.

I now see we can move a few lights down and a few up in specific areas, so I have a template for the light install on the plastic now, should be very consistent for us to make them. It looks really good. I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code. The good news is that if anyone wants anything special and has somewhat basic computer skill I can send them a new program to upload.

#131 4 years ago

Here is the production sample of the SE version. Some notes, the plastic has all of the protective coatings on it (front and back). I think the back can be left on (it's what the LEDs are attached to and so it can be removed later if wanted). The brightness is more than enough that it doesn't seem to be need to be removed. Doesn't anyone have thoughts on this?
With the lights it is a much tighter fit but still seems to work ok still. This was put together in about 15 minutes so the actual production versions will take some more time to really lay out the lights and secure everything nicely. That's why one or two of them are sort of pointed away (not sure if you can tell in the video) because I didn't use as much adhesive as we would in the real one. Each light will be attached before and after the light, securing it facing the plastic.
I now see we can move a few lights down and a few up in specific areas, so I have a template for the light install on the plastic now, should be very consistent for us to make them. It looks really good. I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code. The good news is that if anyone wants anything special and has somewhat basic computer skill I can send them a new program to upload.

I agree that slowing it down a bit would look better. Looking forward to seeing a video of the LE version with the added lights. Not sure if I would want the added lights, so when you take that video, please show it both with just the LE stock star lights and the LE with your added star lights.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I agree that slowing it down a bit would look better. Looking forward to seeing a video of the LE version with the added lights. Not sure if I would want the added lights, so when you take that video, please show it both with just the LE stock star lights and the LE with your added star lights.

Sounds good. Personally, I am not sure if I want it either but worth a look for us to see.

#133 4 years ago

Well done Harry

#134 4 years ago

looks awesome. I’m sure many of us SE owners will be pretty happy!!!

#135 4 years ago

I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code.

It looks like they POP on fully lit but then fade out. Should fade in both directions (on and off.)

I think that makes it look faster than the actual frequency or number. Fade in will slow it down.

#136 4 years ago

Here's the SE one again with a different camera. Old Nikon handheld, might give a better picture... listen to those gears turn, lol. And I changed my spots out for white finally, so no more purple hue. Again, beware the plastic has the coating on (and slightly pulled off on the top) so it's not a good representation of the plastic itself. Just the lights. Pretty happy with the SE version aside from the speed/coincidence on the lighting.

Here is a CE/LE version without the starmap on so you can see where the lights are. It was hard as heck to get these in position. I have another product coming (flat blendable WS2812B strips) which may do much better.

The difference in the light size/style is definitely somewhat apparent. Of course this was in attract mode, so in the game it may be less noticable. The LEDs just have an entirely different display angle and size. I may be happier with the new flat bendable strips, but I'm unconvinced. Maybe with the new programming they will add some ambience and not compete with the speed/size of the starmap lights as much. The problem is the spacing between LEDs in these strips are quite far so I have to deal with a lot of extra wire. The new strip is much more closely spaced as well so just a few strips should cover most of the areas. I also see some areas that could be better aligned (above the BP specifically).

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It looks like they POP on fully lit but then fade out. Should fade in both directions (on and off.)
I think that makes it look faster than the actual frequency or number. Fade in will slow it down.

Yeah, I'm going to "twinkle" them more. So better fading and then some little bursts when they are on. It will be more like starlight show and less like some random blinky lights.

#138 4 years ago

Here is a CE/LE version without the starmap on so you can see where the lights are. It was hard as heck to get these in position. I have another product coming (flat blendable WS2812B strips) which may do much better.

The difference in the light size/style is definitely somewhat apparent. Of course this was in attract mode, so in the game it may be less noticable. The LEDs just have an entirely different display angle and size. I may be happier with the new flat bendable strips, but I'm unconvinced. Maybe with the new programming they will add some ambience and not compete with the speed/size of the starmap lights as much. The problem is the spacing between LEDs in these strips are quite far so I have to deal with a lot of extra wire. The new strip is much more closely spaced as well so just a few strips should cover most of the areas. I also see some areas that could be better aligned (above the BP specifically).

I do kind of like the LE with a few of the additional "Harry stars" as the outliers programmed to twinkle maybe a little less often than the main star map. My reason for the possible "Harry stars" addition is that with the full width plastic and just the original star map stars, it looks a little odd for the "sky" to just have a square area patch of stars twinkle. I like where it is going for the LE Harry. Less is more for these LE/CE "Harry stars" in my opinion. It just needs to blend it out across the backboard so that it doesn't look a little odd without them. Just my input. Keep up the good work!

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I do kind of like the LE with a few of the additional "Harry stars" as the outliers programmed to twinkle maybe a little less often than the main star map. My reason for the possible "Harry stars" addition is that with the full width plastic and just the original star map stars, it looks a little odd for the "sky" to just have a square area patch of stars twinkle. I like where it is going for the LE Harry. Less is more for these LE/CE "Harry stars" in my opinion. It just needs to blend it out across the backboard so that it doesn't look a little odd without them. Just my input. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll make it available for people who want them. I'll update with a new video with better animation.

#140 4 years ago

Thanks! I'll make it available for people who want them. I'll update with a new video with better animation.

I'm definitely interested in this as well, and yes, helping them to fade out would be fantastic!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Fwiw I agree with this lot!

#142 4 years ago

How hard is installation on the LE HH?

#143 4 years ago

Install on any of them is about 5 minutes if you have a beer while doing it.

#144 4 years ago

When will they ship?

#145 4 years ago

I was just getting ready to post an update on the lighting. It's all good news.

If you did not order lighting they are already shipping, in order of placement. The only thing that was holding any back at this point was combining it with the chest actuating mod but I talked with my wife and she is going to start shipping all other parts of the orders and we'll ship the chest mod separately so the wait isn't going to be extended.

#146 4 years ago

I was just getting ready to post an update on the lighting. It's all good news.
If you did not order lighting they are already shipping, in order of placement. The only thing that was holding any back at this point was combining it with the chest actuating mod but I talked with my wife and she is going to start shipping all other parts of the orders and we'll ship the chest mod separately so the wait isn't going to be extended.

Hmm. I didn't order lights, but had considered it. Is it too late for me, as an LE owner?

#147 4 years ago

LE and CE are the "last" case I am working on because it's a bit more complex layout but I believe I am using the same method for both, so good news that way. Also good news is that I think the lighting will be seperate from the plastic (still testing this out) so I think I can provide them separately even if we already shipped your plastic. Let me confirm this solution and post an update and then figure out what it is going to take to produce. I had to order the bulk of the lights from China because no US distributor has them that I can find. If you can't find it on ebay or Amazon in the US then you know it's a hard to find thing. I found a small string, really expensive at blinkin but it isn't viable to use those for all plastics. The China stuff takes like 2-3 weeks to get here so that's basically what I need to wait for. I was hoping to find them closer to me which is what I've been working on but I'm striking out. They arrived yesterday from blinkin so I'm literally plugging them in now.

#148 4 years ago

Ok, the lights are awesome. They can sit really flat, fit the curves I need and look great. This is the solution for sure. SE no problem, that is basically what is shown below. That is old code, I have better twinkles and timing that I'll post a better video of soon. LE/CE I am working on how it fits around the existing starmap lights. The problem is there is no easy way to get all of the lights to sit the same distance from the plastic (the starmap lights and the add-on lights) so they look different. I wish it was simple enough for people to drill a few small holes in their backboard to let the starmap PCB sit flat. There are just two small capacitors which keep it from doing that. I guess I can provide those instructions if people want to do it, I'll probably test it out because I'm anal like that. I'll post a video of both ways so people can see what the light differences look like on the LE/CE.

#149 4 years ago

It's looking good. You're going in the right direction.

#150 4 years ago

Ok, the lights are awesome. They can sit really flat, fit the curves I need and look great. This is the solution for sure. SE no problem, that is basically what is shown below. That is old code, I have better twinkles and timing that I'll post a better video of soon. LE/CE I am working on how it fits around the existing starmap lights. The problem is there is no easy way to get all of the lights to sit the same distance from the plastic (the starmap lights and the add-on lights) so they look different. I wish it was simple enough for people to drill a few small holes in their backboard to let the starmap PCB sit flat. There are just two small capacitors which keep it from doing that. I guess I can provide those instructions if people want to do it, I'll probably test it out because I'm anal like that. I'll post a video of both ways so people can see what the light differences look like on the LE/CE.

No rush here. Find the best solution in form and function!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-be-interested-in-replacement-star-map-plastic-for-jjpotc/page/3?hl=heater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.