Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Now-Available (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Starlight (resized).jpg
StarmapTest1 (resized).jpg
StarmapTest2 (resized).jpg
Galaxy Print Sample (resized).jpg
Starmap Close Install (resized).jpg
0617191305 (resized).jpg
0606191541a (resized).jpg
0605191406 (resized).jpg
0605191414 (resized).jpg
0604191927 (1) (resized).jpg
Starmap-No-Holes (resized).jpg

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Like just the jjp original implementation compared to my lights? Let me know what you want to see. I'm working on my twinkle program to look more like the original style.

Yes original implementation vid please. Trying to gauge the scope and impact of this mod.

#102 8 days ago

Oh sure. I am not done with the program for the twinkle (need some adjusting, slowing down the twinkle speed and number of lights on at any one time). I'm also going to throw in a little bit of random color tint to the stars... a bit of blue or red which should give a cool look.

I'll post an update here shortly, I'm waiting on some different WS2812B lighting strips versus the panel I used in the original. This will let me spread the stars out much further and get behind the ships and such. It should look really cool. I think CE/LE owners will want an addon that gives them a similar effect

#103 8 days ago

Oh sure. I am not done with the program for the twinkle (need some adjusting, slowing down the twinkle speed and number of lights on at any one time). I'm also going to throw in a little bit of random color tint to the stars... a bit of blue or red which should give a cool look.
I'll post an update here shortly, I'm waiting on some different WS2812B lighting strips versus the panel I used in the original. This will let me spread the stars out much further and get behind the ships and such. It should look really cool. I think CE/LE owners will want an addon that gives them a similar effect

Yeeesssss!

#104 7 days ago

If I can ask, how did you print this on the acrylic? I have been trying to figure out if I can do that at home for a couple of plastics and topper ideas I have but couldn't get past the printing part of it. Any home solution available that turns out OK?

#105 6 days ago

Two options. The first one I did was have a decal company print on clear window film (the kind you see in store windows that is transparent but has advertisements printed on it) and then just adhered it to the plastic. They can print reverse so it goes on the "inside" of the plastic.

The better option was to just have CPR print them

#106 5 days ago

For SE owners wanting lights. Take a look at this video. All I want to know is if this number of stars (the total number of the lights on the board) looks good to you. This is one option. It's the more cost effective option I think because install is easier. There is another option which will take more work but will give more stars. How many more? Maybe double. Ignore the way the stars flash and timing and such, I'm still writing some code.

#107 5 days ago

As an se owner. I am good with the number of stars. Less can be more

#108 5 days ago
Quoted from sulli10:

As an se owner. I am good with the number of stars. Less can be more

After looking at the mondo number I tested with originally I really like the look of them spread out, going a lot slower and twinkling more. It's less of an attention getting and more of a landscape painting with subtle interest. I'm going to see if I can fit a few more, working on the mounting system. I do have the other "system" coming (got the wrong strip originally) to see how much work it will be to splice and cut the strips in to the right shapes. Flat 90 turns with strips are time consuming or expensive and it has to be in a series, nothing can be parallel so lots of 90 turns.

#109 4 days ago

Just got home and was looking at the backboard area on my SE. One other thought is there are enough lights, but, will they be seen with all the toys such as the Black Pearl. I would think you you want to also check all the lights can be seen from the players perspective. looks like a cool mod. Thx

#110 4 days ago

The lights only wrap around the toys So not only will you see them all, you aren't paying for lights that you can't see.

Here's the 2nd method.... I know this one is better, sigh. It's just gonna cost more. I found another product that might help, but I have to get it from China (the only place I found that has it in the US is like double the price) and it takes like 2 weeks. This version needs like 50 solder connections and I'm already having issues with consistency in soldering them. I'm trying some other ways to make this work reliably.

Btw, my wife has never looked in to paintballing.

#111 4 days ago

I agree the fewer, slower lights look more natural. It's better.

The increased number of lights with the faster blinking look more like an artificial Vegas show.

#112 4 days ago

LE owner here, but the fewer lights look better. The ones with more lights - you can see them lined up in the rows the way that they are lighting off. Fewer, less often lit (slower) is better.

#113 4 days ago

Cool, that makes things easier and cheaper. I'll see if I can get some bulk pricing on the led strings. I'll put up an add on product in the store once I know the costs.

#114 4 days ago

I am pumped on this mod and I am not a mod guy.

Is anyone working on getting the SE GI lighting to be able to change colors?

#115 4 days ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I am pumped on this mod and I am not a mod guy.
Is anyone working on getting the SE GI lighting to be able to change colors?

I have a grip ton of GI boards that I believe fit POTC (they are from WOZ 2.0). I'll confirm. If so, I can send you one to test. I am guessing they will not because this is an easy programming this to change and I wonder if your boards are already RGB (why make just a white one, cost difference is nothing) but the software keeps them from showing any colors. Take a pic of one of your GI boards and post the part number, then we can confirm if they are RGB or not.

#116 4 days ago

Stay focused. Waiting for you to complete the LE version with the added extra stars to see what that looks like (and the final chest lid)

#117 4 days ago

Chest lid? You mean the moving one (or the light)? Both of those are pretty final.

The LE version I can mock up tonight or tomorrow. I have everything, just have to figure out the arrangement. Should not be hard.

#118 4 days ago

Looks awesome! Ordered!

#119 4 days ago

So the SE version is ready to go?

#120 4 days ago

Buy your lighting!!

Ok, I think I have this priced out. This includes full installation for you (nothing to do but plug it in). It's about 30 LEDs for the SE version. If you order within the next few days we can get it put in to your plastic before we ship. These are attaching directly to the plastic (for the best visual from the front). If we do not get it in time we can send you the lighting strip and controller to install yourself with instructions on how to properly attach and arrange them.

The CE/LE version is listed but I will be posting an example of that soon installed on the game. I'll get videos of both installed. The LE/CE version has less LEDs and they wrap around the starmap. The LEDs do not match the starmap *Exactly* but they are pretty close. Either version is plug and play. There should be no shipping cost on this product and we'll be able to correlate your order by name (so make sure it is shipping to the same name). Before we ship your order we will verify if you placed an order for lighting. Likely that we would be able to ship these out near the end of next week so get your orders in soon.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/galaxy-starmap-backboard-lighting-add-on-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#121 4 days ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

So the SE version is ready to go?

Pretty much. I'm tweaking the programming just a bit and then making a production sample installed on a plastic. I'll post a video of both versions installed soon.

#122 4 days ago

Should I wait on ordering?

#123 4 days ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Should I wait on ordering?

Totally up to you. If you want to see what the final looks like, sure. I don't think there would be any reason you wouldn't want it if you like the prototype video.

#124 4 days ago

Just ordered mine. Pretty easy.

#125 4 days ago

Ordered!

#126 4 days ago

Oops thing I messed up...I didn’t add the plastic

#127 3 days ago

You can place another order.

#128 3 days ago

SE version ordered

Are there installation instructions included?

#129 3 days ago

Video is being made this weekend!

#130 3 days ago

Here is the production sample of the SE version. Some notes, the plastic has all of the protective coatings on it (front and back). I think the back can be left on (it's what the LEDs are attached to and so it can be removed later if wanted). The brightness is more than enough that it doesn't seem to be need to be removed. Doesn't anyone have thoughts on this?

With the lights it is a much tighter fit but still seems to work ok still. This was put together in about 15 minutes so the actual production versions will take some more time to really lay out the lights and secure everything nicely. That's why one or two of them are sort of pointed away (not sure if you can tell in the video) because I didn't use as much adhesive as we would in the real one. Each light will be attached before and after the light, securing it facing the plastic.

I now see we can move a few lights down and a few up in specific areas, so I have a template for the light install on the plastic now, should be very consistent for us to make them. It looks really good. I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code. The good news is that if anyone wants anything special and has somewhat basic computer skill I can send them a new program to upload.

#131 3 days ago

Here is the production sample of the SE version. Some notes, the plastic has all of the protective coatings on it (front and back). I think the back can be left on (it's what the LEDs are attached to and so it can be removed later if wanted). The brightness is more than enough that it doesn't seem to be need to be removed. Doesn't anyone have thoughts on this?
With the lights it is a much tighter fit but still seems to work ok still. This was put together in about 15 minutes so the actual production versions will take some more time to really lay out the lights and secure everything nicely. That's why one or two of them are sort of pointed away (not sure if you can tell in the video) because I didn't use as much adhesive as we would in the real one. Each light will be attached before and after the light, securing it facing the plastic.
I now see we can move a few lights down and a few up in specific areas, so I have a template for the light install on the plastic now, should be very consistent for us to make them. It looks really good. I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code. The good news is that if anyone wants anything special and has somewhat basic computer skill I can send them a new program to upload.

I agree that slowing it down a bit would look better. Looking forward to seeing a video of the LE version with the added lights. Not sure if I would want the added lights, so when you take that video, please show it both with just the LE stock star lights and the LE with your added star lights.

#132 3 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I agree that slowing it down a bit would look better. Looking forward to seeing a video of the LE version with the added lights. Not sure if I would want the added lights, so when you take that video, please show it both with just the LE stock star lights and the LE with your added star lights.

Sounds good. Personally, I am not sure if I want it either but worth a look for us to see.

#133 3 days ago

Well done Harry

#134 3 days ago

looks awesome. I’m sure many of us SE owners will be pretty happy!!!

#135 3 days ago

I think the programming is too much, too fast so I'm gonna spend a bit more time on that code.

It looks like they POP on fully lit but then fade out. Should fade in both directions (on and off.)

I think that makes it look faster than the actual frequency or number. Fade in will slow it down.

#136 3 days ago

Here's the SE one again with a different camera. Old Nikon handheld, might give a better picture... listen to those gears turn, lol. And I changed my spots out for white finally, so no more purple hue. Again, beware the plastic has the coating on (and slightly pulled off on the top) so it's not a good representation of the plastic itself. Just the lights. Pretty happy with the SE version aside from the speed/coincidence on the lighting.

Here is a CE/LE version without the starmap on so you can see where the lights are. It was hard as heck to get these in position. I have another product coming (flat blendable WS2812B strips) which may do much better.

The difference in the light size/style is definitely somewhat apparent. Of course this was in attract mode, so in the game it may be less noticable. The LEDs just have an entirely different display angle and size. I may be happier with the new flat bendable strips, but I'm unconvinced. Maybe with the new programming they will add some ambience and not compete with the speed/size of the starmap lights as much. The problem is the spacing between LEDs in these strips are quite far so I have to deal with a lot of extra wire. The new strip is much more closely spaced as well so just a few strips should cover most of the areas. I also see some areas that could be better aligned (above the BP specifically).

#137 3 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

It looks like they POP on fully lit but then fade out. Should fade in both directions (on and off.)
I think that makes it look faster than the actual frequency or number. Fade in will slow it down.

Yeah, I'm going to "twinkle" them more. So better fading and then some little bursts when they are on. It will be more like starlight show and less like some random blinky lights.

#138 3 days ago

Here is a CE/LE version without the starmap on so you can see where the lights are. It was hard as heck to get these in position. I have another product coming (flat blendable WS2812B strips) which may do much better.

The difference in the light size/style is definitely somewhat apparent. Of course this was in attract mode, so in the game it may be less noticable. The LEDs just have an entirely different display angle and size. I may be happier with the new flat bendable strips, but I'm unconvinced. Maybe with the new programming they will add some ambience and not compete with the speed/size of the starmap lights as much. The problem is the spacing between LEDs in these strips are quite far so I have to deal with a lot of extra wire. The new strip is much more closely spaced as well so just a few strips should cover most of the areas. I also see some areas that could be better aligned (above the BP specifically).

I do kind of like the LE with a few of the additional "Harry stars" as the outliers programmed to twinkle maybe a little less often than the main star map. My reason for the possible "Harry stars" addition is that with the full width plastic and just the original star map stars, it looks a little odd for the "sky" to just have a square area patch of stars twinkle. I like where it is going for the LE Harry. Less is more for these LE/CE "Harry stars" in my opinion. It just needs to blend it out across the backboard so that it doesn't look a little odd without them. Just my input. Keep up the good work!

#139 3 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I do kind of like the LE with a few of the additional "Harry stars" as the outliers programmed to twinkle maybe a little less often than the main star map. My reason for the possible "Harry stars" addition is that with the full width plastic and just the original star map stars, it looks a little odd for the "sky" to just have a square area patch of stars twinkle. I like where it is going for the LE Harry. Less is more for these LE/CE "Harry stars" in my opinion. It just needs to blend it out across the backboard so that it doesn't look a little odd without them. Just my input. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll make it available for people who want them. I'll update with a new video with better animation.

#140 1 day ago

Thanks! I'll make it available for people who want them. I'll update with a new video with better animation.

I'm definitely interested in this as well, and yes, helping them to fade out would be fantastic!

#141 1 day ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Fwiw I agree with this lot!

#142 1 day ago

How hard is installation on the LE HH?

#143 1 day ago

Install on any of them is about 5 minutes if you have a beer while doing it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Paul, MN
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside