(Topic ID: 244059)

JJP POTC Galaxy Backboard & Twinkling Star Mod - Shipping!

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 224 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B0BBBEFD-0827-43D7-9C04-1CE10F01A220 (resized).jpeg
69364991-EBEC-417F-8C75-994CB00006CE (resized).jpeg
38025BA6-609C-4162-9621-BE4AD896EC8A (resized).jpeg
E67C61B8-A639-4C56-9702-9B29C6C12D4B (resized).jpeg
DE004A04-0DBB-47E4-8B93-E7EF096578D5 (resized).jpeg
66BD6F96-2352-4097-99F6-BB51EB0864FD (resized).jpeg
75E80D51-A64F-48C8-9690-3E1852C318E4 (resized).jpeg
FBA78604-FA74-4607-9FE5-C44FCD8F5DC0 (resized).jpeg
F9D80309-0FE7-4DB0-B169-4BDA7E770F7B (resized).jpeg
801F4274-2F00-4B79-97C4-77882F97949B (resized).jpeg
52F879B1-1776-42BF-A5D7-F52AE74F604B (resized).jpeg
B9C174BE-F0E6-49FF-B234-E3AD66F1F20B (resized).jpeg
20200101_165234 (resized).jpg
20191230_205504 (resized).jpg
20191230_205450 (resized).jpg
SkyAlt (resized).jpg
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

Here's a view of what the plastic prototype looks like installed with a new method of installing the starmap PCB. This may be the least amount of modification and may be almost a modification-less install. I'm testing it, needs to run a bit to make sure it doesn't get too hot (still not sure why they spaced the original starmap out so far). Ignore the glare, my phone camera is pretty crappy in low light.

You can see how close it gets installed to the backboard, not noticeable once the playfield is pushed all the way in.
Starmap Close Install (resized).jpgStarmap Close Install (resized).jpg

#52 4 years ago

Waiting on some parts now to make a custom starmap replacement LED board. It uses an LED array (similar to what the starmap uses) and a microprocessor to create a realistic twinkling star background. All other methods (aside from fiber optics) produce a non-random pattern (every other light turns on and off, etc) and fiber optics are prohibitively expensive and time consuming to install. This should pretty much be a drop in addition that is plug and play and has a large area (basically between both ships) that lights up with stars. Much bigger than the original light board area. I think it will cost around $50, give or take.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Waiting on some parts now to make a custom starmap replacement LED board. It uses an LED array (similar to what the starmap uses) and a microprocessor to create a realistic twinkling star background. All other methods (aside from fiber optics) produce a non-random pattern (every other light turns on and off, etc) and fiber optics are prohibitively expensive and time consuming to install. This should pretty much be a drop in addition that is plug and play and has a large area (basically between both ships) that lights up with stars. Much bigger than the original light board area. I think it will cost around $50, give or take.

Will this work on the SE?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Will this work on the SE?

Yeah, sorry, specific to the SE. Drop the board in place, plug it in and put the plastic on top. 10 minute install, blinking stars in the background

#55 4 years ago

Count me in! Im one of the lucky folks who wanted an LE and waited to long lol

#56 4 years ago

The one on your site isn’t the correct one for the SE right?

#57 4 years ago

This is the correct product: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

BUT if you were waiting for a lit version for SE (with the twinkle stars behind it) I haven't listed that yet. I'm still waiting for those parts to arrive so I can confirm function. I have to do a bit of programming on the controller to set the twinkle up so I want to make sure that is all easy enough to do.

For those asking for a view of the LE/CE version in my game, glass on, here is that. I didn't replace my purple lights, sorry about that.. I will do that. And my camera sucks... I need a new phone. Any glare or misalignment (you can view a few LEDs below the plastic) is just from this video, the plastic will have the same finish as the existing starmap plastic, same color depth, etc.

Added over 4 years ago:

This is the correct product: https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

BUT if you were waiting for a lit version for SE (with the twinkle stars behind it) I haven't listed that yet. I'm still waiting for those parts to arrive so I can confirm function. I have to do a bit of programming on the controller to set the twinkle up so I want to make sure that is all easy enough to do.

For those asking for a view of the LE/CE version in my game, glass on, here is that. I didn't replace my purple lights, sorry about that.. I will do that. And my camera sucks... I need a new phone. Any glare or misalignment (you can view a few LEDs below the plastic) is just from this video, the plastic will have the same finish as the existing starmap plastic, same color depth, etc.

#58 4 years ago

I think I'll do two other versions of this if I can get CPR to print just a few. I was thinking of one more of a horizontal look at the ocean at night. So you see part ocean with waves and then a moonlit/starry sky (allowing the proper dark area for existing starmap lights to look correct). It would sort of coincide with the perspective that you'd see if looking at the ships at the angle they are at. Like side art but for the backboard.

Another it something like above but with more "piratey" imagery. I doubt there is imagery I can use from the movie but I can probably find similar stuff. So maybe a few ships in the background, rock formations... pirate flag... maybe even with a few lights to highlight specific pieces (like ship windows or something). Maybe a cloud "formation" in the sky that looks like a "hidden" pirate skull and crossbones.

Down the road, but I think they could be fun.

#59 4 years ago

Production sample is here! Good news, it's about 99% there. I have a few changes and decisions to make. Good news, it's easy as hell to install even with a starmap. Plus, I think I can lose the screws right in the middle of the starmap. Bad news, it's a bit dark...I am sending some updated artwork to CPR and am going to get some produced. Not a lot of orders so far, so probably won't order that many.

The one in the image has screw holes and transparent holes for the LEDs. I have another that does not have LED holes which I am going to test. I think it might be preferred. The white lights on this one are SO bright because they are perfectly lined up with the plastic and very close to it.

Galaxy Print Sample (resized).jpgGalaxy Print Sample (resized).jpg
#60 4 years ago

Production sample is here! Good news, it's about 99% there. I have a few changes and decisions to make. Good news, it's easy as hell to install even with a starmap. Plus, I think I can lose the screws right in the middle of the starmap. Bad news, it's a bit dark...I am sending some updated artwork to CPR and am going to get some produced. Not a lot of orders so far, so probably won't order that many.
The one in the image has screw holes and transparent holes for the LEDs. I have another that does not have LED holes which I am going to test. I think it might be preferred. The white lights on this one are SO bright because they are perfectly lined up with the plastic and very close to it.[quoted image]

I am pretty excited about this!

#61 4 years ago

Looks awesome and I know an se owner that is really going to want this!

#62 4 years ago

Do you think an LE needs the holes cut out?

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Do you think an LE needs the holes cut out?

I'm going to install the other this afternoon on my LE to confirm.

#64 4 years ago

No star light cutouts are needed, IMHO. They shine through just fine. I am going to order all of them without cutouts and without screw holes. I'll mark the screw holes on the back if anyone wants to drill them (or I'll drill them for you) but I don't think they are needed. The way it is cut and fits, pressure holds it in just fine. The PCB moves around a bit so either I'll screw that in with the original screws behind the plastic, actually drill the plastic holes or use some double sided tape for it as well. It barely needs anything to hold it in place.

Fair warning, the price is likely to go up. Waiting to hear back from CPR on final cost but I probably priced it too low (assuming lots of game modifications needed, that I'd do all the work on my end to make the plastics, etc). So if you already ordered, you got the early bird discount and until I change it anyone else who orders will get it too.

Anyone who ordered the routed backboard is going to get a refund. It's not needed.

No other modifications are made to the game at all

Here is the plastic without the hole cutouts for the star lights, definitely not needed:

Here is a quick demo of the arduous process of installation. Steps not shown, for LE/CE, unscrew the starmap plastic

#65 4 years ago

Just spoke with Kevin from CPR. Will be putting in final approval shortly, limited initial production run of 20. Several are already spoken for.

#66 4 years ago

Ordering now - promise me you will buy a better phone with some of the proceeds

#67 4 years ago

Do you have a concept to show of the water version?

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Ordering now - promise me you will buy a better phone with some of the proceeds

LOL! It's on the list.. it seems like the only real upgrade is a better camera so it's hard to justify $1k on a phone.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Do you have a concept to show of the water version?

Ha.. actually yes. A few, here are some I was toying with. I have to still line these up with what is visible and where the stars are located but just general concepts. Skyline will be lower on the one with the ship. Trying to get all of the stars in the sky, ideally.

StarmapTest1 (resized).jpgStarmapTest1 (resized).jpgStarmapTest2 (resized).jpgStarmapTest2 (resized).jpg
#70 4 years ago

LOL! It's on the list.. it seems like the only real upgrade is a better camera so it's hard to justify $1k on a phone.

A $300 or under phone will work wonders, if you're on android.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

A $300 or under phone will work wonders, if you're on android.

I have a LG V20 which used to be an awesome phone. I don't know what happened to it... it's hella slow (maybe android slows it based on batteries shitting the bed like apple) and the video looks crappy. I used to marvel at it.

Then I toyed with grabbing a fairly new Pixel 2 and then the 3 was announced and I have to battle in my mind not to go grab a $1k+ phone (you know, it's gotta be the biggest screen and most storage). And then... I gotta buy one for the wife (we have the same phone/age).

Isn't that money best put towards more pin stuff?

I keep seeing the whole buy-1-get-1 offers for these kinds of phones too, but you gotta add 2 new lines which means we have to change our phone numbers. Still might do it.

#72 4 years ago

I have a LG V20 which used to be an awesome phone. I don't know what happened to it... it's hella slow (maybe android slows it based on batteries shitting the bed like apple) and the video looks crappy. I used to marvel at it.
Then I toyed with grabbing a fairly new Pixel 2 and then the 3 was announced and I have to battle in my mind not to go grab a $1k+ phone (you know, it's gotta be the biggest screen and most storage). And then... I gotta buy one for the wife (we have the same phone/age).
Isn't that money best put towards more pin stuff?

Yeah, seriously don't aim for bleeding edge. Sub $300, times 2, is still better than a grand solo.

Have you tried dumping your stored data, and reformatting your phone?

#73 4 years ago

Nothing is stored in my phone, all directly to various clouds. Fuck backing up!

I should reformat. It's a bitch setting everything back up even with Android reinstalling it all. Even with fingerprint, password managers, synced data, etc.

It seems like phones last 2 years. So I can get a year old phone for half the price of bleeding edge, which lasts twice as long. Planned obselenscene maybe. How far apart so I want to spread my payments. The 2 for 1 is also monthly payments, no interest.

#74 4 years ago

I have a tracking number, plastics are on their way to me. I think they are going to ship in seperate boxes than any other item (aside from decals) so even if you ordered the window mod likely the plastic will ship out next week.

#75 4 years ago

Here are the really detailed, very complex installation instructions:

#76 4 years ago

Here are the really detailed, very complex installation instructions:

I was just watching this, well part of it. Going to watch the rest on my PS4, as opposed to my phone.

You're doing solid work Scott/HH!

#77 4 years ago

It's 5 minutes of a 1 minute install, lol. Basically remove the old plastic, put the new one in place.

Btw, if you want to use screws (if you're adverse to the double sided tape) you can. I just didn't see the need, the plastic holds everything in place. If anyone wants the holes drilled in the plastic just let me know. I have the template.

#78 4 years ago

I'm interested in the se version with your custom light board. I'm following this thread to see if and when you complete that. Thanks for your support of this game.

#79 4 years ago

Cool. I just got notification that half of the lighting kit is here. Waiting on the LED micro controller and then I just need to program it, hopefully.

#80 4 years ago

Starlight so damn bright! I may be jealous of the SE owners now.

Btw.. those are RGB so it doesn't have to be just white stars!

Starlight (resized).jpgStarlight (resized).jpg

#81 4 years ago

Ok when can I buy it lol

#82 4 years ago

Oh no I just ordered the SE backing a few days ago and would rather have the starfield with lights, did you ship allready. I'll PM you.

#83 4 years ago

Nothing has shipped. I'm trying to get the lights setup so you can all see before I ship. Plastics should be here this week.

You can add the lights before I ship or they can be added later. Easy install.

#85 4 years ago

Harry, forgive my lack of understanding ... are you indicating that an SE owner could install this and get a working star map with lights?

Nice work on the mods, BTW

#86 4 years ago

Thanks

The SE lighting kit would give the illusion of a starmap. It is a light array with a microcontroller that will created random, twinkling lights in the backboard that will look fairly similar to the starmap. They won't interact with the game at all, more just decoration and fun, completing the look. Shouldn't be too expensive, just two components I think is all I need. Going to program the device over the holiday and see how it turns out. By all my investigation it looks like it will be a nice solution.

If it all works out I'll list it as an option for the galaxy plastic and as an addon if you already purchased the plastic. Should be able to ship them all together.

#87 4 years ago

Thanks
The SE lighting kit would give the illusion of a starmap. It is a light array with a microcontroller that will created random, twinkling lights in the backboard that will look fairly similar to the starmap. They won't interact with the game at all, more just decoration and fun, completing the look. Shouldn't be too expensive, just two components I think is all I need. Going to program the device over the holiday and see how it turns out. By all my investigation it looks like it will be a nice solution.
If it all works out I'll list it as an option for the galaxy plastic and as an addon if you already purchased the plastic. Should be able to ship them all together.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to supplement the LE/CE's with some added lights to the left and right of the original starmap, to maybe fade things out, and make the starmap look a bit less square and blocked off? It's somewhat tiny...

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Do you think it would be worthwhile to supplement the LE/CE's with some added lights to the left and right of the original starmap, to maybe fade things out, and make the starmap look a bit less square and blocked off? It's somewhat tiny...

Damn you! LOL... yes, already on my list to do. The only problem I see is that the lights may look different. But yeah, I'll test that out, I have the parts already to do it.

#89 4 years ago

Mwhahahaa! It's alive!!

Yeah, still playing with the speed and coincidence of stars, but you get the idea. And that plastic is a production sample, no dots in the real one.

#90 4 years ago

Someone with an SE who wants to pull up their playfield. Let's see if the connectors are all there for the starmap. Long shot.. but maybe an "aftermarket" starmap can be retrofitted (with even more leds!)

#91 4 years ago

Mwhahahaa! It's alive!!

Yeah, still playing with the speed and coincidence of stars, but you get the idea. And that plastic is a production sample, no dots in the real one.

Thanks for all your work. The lights seem a little bright, can they be diffused or turned down a bit? I've got an LE now but might experiment with LEDs or fiber optics.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Thanks for all your work. The lights seem a little bright, can they be diffused or turned down a bit? I've got an LE now but might experiment with LEDs or fiber optics.

100% customizable

I'm gonna do an add-on kit for existing starmaps

#93 4 years ago

Someone with an SE who wants to pull up their playfield. Let's see if the connectors are all there for the starmap. Long shot.. but maybe an "aftermarket" starmap can be retrofitted (with even more leds!)

I can hook you up when I get home in a few hours

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I can hook you up when I get home in a few hours

I'll send you a video of what to look for initially. Then will need to do some testing on my end.

#95 4 years ago

I'll send you a video of what to look for initially. Then will need to do some testing on my end.

Sounds good. You still have my email?

#96 4 years ago

Thanks... figuring out power for this mod. It's pretty intensive so I think I'll have to supply a power adapter to pull line power as I don't think any existing circuit could handle this.

#97 4 years ago

Btw, all of the plastics are going to get a "matte" finish. If anyone is adamantly opposed to this let me know and I can leave yours out. I am going to test and see if it can be removed easily (I think it can) in case you change your mind later. The reason is that the stock plastic is just way too shiny and everything glares off of it. I tested with a prototype and I think it looks much better. Again, this is not the production version (it has the holes, it has darker artwork) but you can see the finish on it compared to prior ones I posted.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#98 4 years ago

Did you post a video of the original star map for comparison?

#99 4 years ago

Damn you! LOL... yes, already on my list to do. The only problem I see is that the lights may look different. But yeah, I'll test that out, I have the parts already to do it.

Teehee! Yeah, I figure if possible, that would really round things off nicely. Maybe a slight separation/dithering between the original board and extra lights.

You're doing Davy Jones' work me lad!

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Did you post a video of the original star map for comparison?

Like just the jjp original implementation compared to my lights? Let me know what you want to see. I'm working on my twinkle program to look more like the original style.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-be-interested-in-replacement-star-map-plastic-for-jjpotc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.