Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Now-Available (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Starlight (resized).jpg
StarmapTest1 (resized).jpg
StarmapTest2 (resized).jpg
Galaxy Print Sample (resized).jpg
Starmap Close Install (resized).jpg
0617191305 (resized).jpg
0606191541a (resized).jpg
0605191406 (resized).jpg
0605191414 (resized).jpg
0604191927 (1) (resized).jpg
Starmap-No-Holes (resized).jpg

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 47 days ago

Now-Available (resized).png

FULL WIDTH GALAXY STARMAP BACKBOARD PLASTIC (JERSEY JACK PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN)
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Now offering the twinkling star light add-on!

GALAXY STARMAP BACKBOARD LIGHTING ADD-ON (JERSEY JACK PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN)
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/galaxy-starmap-backboard-lighting-add-on-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

---------====================///////////////====================---------

I'm looking to make this for myself. Basically it would replace the star map plastic (or if you don't have a starmap it can be used as the backboard cover) which would look similar to the design that is there but would run the full width of the backboard so there would be no black showing from the wood backboard. The starmap lights would still work the same if you have them now. Or if you don't have the starmap you can add any lighting you want behind it.

I am thinking that this would cost somewhere around $40 to make. If there is interest I'll get some additionals made.

#2 47 days ago

Here is a preview of what it would look like. Probably won't be as "bright" as it looks in this image since it will be behind plastic and semi-transparent. The black dots (if you can see them) are the transparent cutouts for the existing starmap lights. This is how the existing plastic is done, however the existing is also made like all other pinball plastics with a white ink back layer, I am testing an option without this. It should give a more realistic sky look and less like a pinball plastic. I think I could provide an option to not have the transparent dots, for a few reasons. One, if you don't have the starmap lights you don't want/need this. Two, the artwork I am printing is probably translucent enough to not need cutouts. Either way, I don't think you'll even see the dots.

There will only be minor disassembly to replace the existing starmap plastic and only minor assembly to put new plastic if you don't have the starmap.

One option could also be custom design or different images. The replacement piece won't be a perfect rectangle, it will have various cutouts (which won't be seen once installed) to fit around mechanisms. The material will either be polycarbonate or acrylic, I'm testing both.

Starmap-No-Holes (resized).jpg
#3 47 days ago

The existing starmap looks raised off the backboard due to the lights I believe (but haven’t pulled mine apart yet to see). How will this mount across the back - meaning will the four corners be on standoffs?

#4 47 days ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

The existing starmap looks raised off the backboard due to the lights I believe (but haven’t pulled mine apart yet to see). How will this mount across the back - meaning will the four corners be on standoffs?

My concept is to mount it to the same four locations the existing one mounts to. The far ends I'm hoping won't need support (they hide behind many other things and are fairly small). Worst case maybe a few discreetly placed screws. If you have the starmap the plastic will still be the same distance away from the backboard. If you don't it can mount right up to the backboard. The only sticking point is fitting it around/behind the two ships if you have the starmap. In actuality the only real issue is fitting it around the target ship. Especially since the ship moves, how it fits around there will be tricky. I have a few ideas as to make it look good but worst case there will be a ship shaped silhouette cut out to account for the ship travel. It will easily fit around/behind the critical viewpoints of the BP.

If people want to get crazy, recessing the starmap will be like a 24-karat gold installation to make it look seamless behind the target ship. I could probably give the option for the ship cutout or not. I might put a small bend in it to fit behind, up in the air until the plastic gets here and I test cut it to fit.

#5 47 days ago

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m thinking breaking out the rotozip and cutting a hole in the backboard to recess the starmap lights so the new sheet sits flat against the backboard... is that nuts?

#6 47 days ago

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m thinking breaking out the rotozip and cutting a hole in the back box to recess the starmap lights so the new sheet sits flat against the backboard... is that nuts?

Do take pictures of your beautiful game Before you take a rotozip to it so we can say good by to it. lol If you decided to go such an agressive route I would strongly suggest simply removing the back panel from the playfield or better yet simply copy it in another raw piece of wood as you will be covering it anyway. That way you can always return it to normal. I personally do not see Anything wrong with the designers layout of the starfield. Its a simple lighted toy, it should stay simple in my opinion.

#7 47 days ago

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m thinking breaking out the rotozip and cutting a hole in the backboard to recess the starmap lights so the new sheet sits flat against the backboard... is that nuts?

I was thinking router (just because I happen to have one) to recess it partially, could keep using the mounting as it is. But cutting out a hole is probably fine and easier, you'd just have to put some support behind to screw the board & plastic to. A couple of wood strips would probably do it. Need some longer screws and standoffs, but that's easy enough.

#8 47 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do take pictures of your beautiful game Before you take a rotozip to it so we can say good by to it. lol If you decided to go such an agressive route I would strongly suggest simply removing the back panel from the playfield or better yet simply copy it in another raw piece of wood as you will be covering it anyway. That way you can always return it to normal. I personally do not see Anything wrong with the designers layout of the starfield. Its a simple lighted toy, it should stay simple in my opinion.

I was thinking a replacement would be pretty easy to make and easy to install. Maybe it would be easiest to just bulk produce that and not worry about the mounting/cutout issues. Just swap your board over (undo the few things that pass through the backboard). I was waiting to hear back from a CNC place to see costs of cutting the plastic, I can ask about doing the wood at the same time. A melamine template and a router with a collar could probably make quick work too.

The "layout" is a cheaply implemented add on, IMHO. So is the blank backboard. Throw a "galaxy" sticker on it at least. If the starmap was a first thought there would have been enough room to fit it behind the other elements so it didn't look like an orphaned pictureless frame floating in midair. JJP could have either recessed it or moved everything another mm or two away from the backboard and viola, a full size piece of plastic would fit. Probably cost marginally more to do this originally, just some wider/more plastic and printing.

#9 46 days ago

For those without a star map I am looking in to providing an optional "twinkle" lighting behind the full size plastic. Obviously this wouldn't be intelligent at all, it would just be decorative, but would probably look similar to the starmap. Still pretty plug and play, however. Again, if anyone is interested let me know otherwise I won't bother since I have the starmap on mine.

#10 46 days ago

if it ends up looking awesome - meaning better than stock with no trade offs (no pressure Harry) then I’m for sure in.

#11 46 days ago

Not at all on topic, but you mention getting plastics made. Could you possibly make plastic protectors, at least for the slings?

The only ones out there currently are very thick.

#12 46 days ago

You don't like using clear washers?

#13 46 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

You don't like using clear washers?

I guess I forgot about that, it's been nearly a month on waiting for the sling posts to resolve to some sort of outcome....

I think I had a hard time getting the upper left washer in on the left sling. I'll try back, and get back to ya. What's been your final solution regarding that issue?

Nice work on this starmap idea. I don't think I'll alter mine, but I'll definitely follow along with your thread and determination!

#14 46 days ago

I am in! Need any help, let me know.

#15 46 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess I forgot about that, it's been nearly a month on waiting for the sling posts to resolve to some sort of outcome....
I think I had a hard time getting the upper left washer in on the left sling. I'll try back, and get back to ya. What's been your final solution regarding that issue?
Nice work on this starmap idea. I don't think I'll alter mine, but I'll definitely follow along with your thread and determination!

Rubber washer -> double star post -> lexan washer (I think 3/4" or 1") -> plastic

#16 41 days ago

Got the plastic in. Might be a bit thin, have to see when it is cut to shape. Could require too many fasteners to keep flat but at least I can make a prototype. The prints should be here any day. In the meantime I'm gonna cut a test piece as a template.

#17 41 days ago

Thumbs up! ...because I can't post emojis.

#18 41 days ago

Template under way. If you don't have a starmap this could be a quick install, slides right over everything. In fact, it may very well be worth the time to recess the existing starmap lights. It looks way better flush against the back.

0604191927 (1) (resized).jpg
#19 41 days ago

Man, I'm getting excited. It really fills up the back of the playfield and makes it look complete. Even with just the cardboard there.

#20 41 days ago

Man, I'm getting excited. It really fills up the back of the playfield and makes it look complete. Even with just the cardboard there.

Awesome, can't wait to see it! Put me down for one without the holes for my standard.

#21 41 days ago

Yes! Subscribed

#22 40 days ago

Really rough prototype I'm playing with. I have some changes to the graphics and the printer is going to change a few things in how it is output. I might try a different plastic or finish to see how the glare is affected. Of course need to get it all the way in the game to see what it looks like there. Might not be an issue. I'm going to use this prototype to do a final cutout and fitment and then test out the starmap modification for placement.

I think there might be two different paths. Those who want to modify the placement of their starmap (probably not many) and those who want it more plug and play. Those latter people will probably get a different cutout to go around the target ship since there isn't enough clearance. Either that or I will bend the plastic just a bit so it slips behind. Not sure if I am a fan of that but might make it a lot easier for me. I personally plan on modifying how the starmap is mounted, likely recessing it into the backboard so it is flush.

0605191406 (resized).jpg0605191414 (resized).jpg
#23 40 days ago

Looks nice! Do you think you can run some without the LED spaces for us Standard owners?

#24 40 days ago
Quoted from dts:

Looks nice! Do you think you can run some without the LED spaces for us Standard owners?

Looks awesome +1 to SE owners

#25 40 days ago

Yup. They might all be that way but easy enough to do some either way.

#26 39 days ago

Awesome work harry. Would be down for one where I could cutout around the constellation area, or is already cutout. If you aren't selling, I'd love the art file and I'd get it printed myself.

#27 39 days ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Awesome work harry. Would be down for one where I could cutout around the constellation area, or is already cutout. If you aren't selling, I'd love the art file and I'd get it printed myself.

You mean so it works with existing star map? I have one so I'll be doing that for sure.

#28 39 days ago

You mean so it works with existing star map? I have one so I'll be doing that for sure.

Yep, exactly, thanks!

#29 39 days ago
Quoted from jarozi:

I don't think you want it to be a true cutout, then the image wouldn't line up. I think this is going to go over top of it, but still allow the starmap to shine through. harryhoudini ... am I interpreting this correctly?

#30 39 days ago

Looking great and an ambitious project no doubt. Look forward to seeing your final result love it.

#31 39 days ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

I don't think you want it to be a true cutout, then the image wouldn't line up. I think this is going to go over top of it, but still allow the starmap to shine through. harryhoudini ... am I interpreting this correctly?

It will replace the existing plastic. The lightning board will stay in place behind the new plastic. Starmap lights will continue to work at original.

#32 39 days ago

This is looking promising for SE owners, I could see this paired with an led strip light mounted above working well

#33 39 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

This is looking promising for SE owners, I could see this paired with an led strip light mounted above working well

There may be a few options for twinkle LEDs behind it, as well... sort of a faux starmap.

#34 39 days ago

Very rough proof of concept and fitment. Waiting on second print from printers. I think I'm going to modify the art a little so it is darker around the actual starmap. I am sure when it is lit up it will be harder to see. I think I originally designed it reversed so I might just flip it back around. I think I printed it backwards as I was intending it originally to go on the front of the plastic.

0606191541a (resized).jpg
#35 35 days ago

Printer is sending two new graphics. Both are backed by white ink and one has the transparent holes cut out for the starmap. If these are correct then I should have enough material to create 4 (two with holes and two without). I need to test bending the plastic around the existing starmap for those who want to keep it as it is and have a quick and easy install. I also took a look at what it would take to either replace the backboard with a new piece that has a routed out area or a cut out area or to modify your existing piece. It shouldn't be horrible, and personally I think I'm going to create a new backboard. It doesn't matter if it looks good or not, the plastic will cover the whole thing. I have a router, just need to get a bit, as I think I am going to recess the starmap for a completely finished look. I suppose I can make more of them for others who want to just replace. It's several screws and a few mechs to remove but should be fairly easy for anyone with basic skill.

The only question now is cutting out the plastic. I don't have a bandsaw or scroll saw so I was using my jigsaw which does an ok job but doesn't look like a professional cutout. I am guessing CNC cutting is going to cost a lot. I don't know what real plastics use to cut out, the backing looks burned so I was guessing a laser. Since you don't see the cutouts at all I was thinking that this isn't an issue.

I suppose if you want to weigh in, do you want to pay more and have it CNC cut or do you want to keep it cheaper and have it rough cut with a jigsaw?

Rough idea of cost of items.. depending on the plastic I use it's around $15-20 and the printed sheet is around $25-30 depending on speed of shipping, qty ordered, etc. So probably something like $60-70 depending on time and any other items I might need (blades, drills). I have a drill press so putting in the holes for screws is no problem. CNC cutting is probably going to add (just a huge spitball here) $50 to each piece given the low quantity I'm assuming I'll be producing. I can take a pic of the prototype with the rough cut I did so you can see it, if interested to know what it would look like. I really don't think it matters as long as no one is expecting a professional piece.

#36 31 days ago

Welp, update.. looks like I have a tentative deal to have CPR produce these! No more fiddling around at home.. these will be printed just like all their other plastics and CNC cut. 100% professional!

Ok, so I think I am going to do a pre-order so I can get a sense of what is needed. Kevin said I could have a sample early next week so production should be not too long after that.

#37 31 days ago

Very rough proof of concept and fitment. Waiting on second print from printers. I think I'm going to modify the art a little so it is darker around the actual starmap. I am sure when it is lit up it will be harder to see. I think I originally designed it reversed so I might just flip it back around. I think I printed it backwards as I was intending it originally to go on the front of the plastic.[quoted image]

Looks great!! Well done!

#38 31 days ago

Humm... was toying around with different images. I didn't put in enough time but something like this could be cool, with more sky and less ocean.

#39 30 days ago

Humm... was toying around with different images. I didn't put in enough time but something like this could be cool, with more sky and less ocean.[quoted image]

Looks cool, but think your original one is better, as the ship wouldn’t really be visible and the stars would be on the ocean on this one?

#40 28 days ago

While CPR is reviewing the artwork (sent it over this weekend) and I am doing some final measurements I got this delivery from the other printer. They fixed their mistakes so it looks like both designs (with and without LED cutouts) are correct. If everything works out for this I should be able make 4 pieces from these. The cutout will be much rougher but I got some new bits for my dremel so shouldn't be too bad. I am going to make up one and see what the cost difference is between this and CPR (plus my time and how good this method looks). I'm also going to test the bend around the existing starmap to see if that is easily doable. Finally, going to see what plywood I have and if nothing I'll go get some nice quality stuff to replace the backboard and route out a sample for my starmap. For those SE owners this will be a piece of cake to install.

0617191305 (resized).jpg
#41 28 days ago

Yes! I’m in! Great work

#42 27 days ago

Wow...CPR is amazing. Production sample on the way to me already! Should have it in my hands in a few days. If it all fits well then I'll ask them to make them up! Just need to work on the bending a bit to see if that is an option for those who don't want to route. Need to hit up home depot for some nice plywood to make a routed out one.

#43 26 days ago

YAY, store is live!

*Please bear with me, if there are any questions or issues feel free to PM so I can help figure them out. New store for me, new payment processing, etc.

*2-3 weeks to produce all the products, you'll get a notification when your order ships.

*Flat rate $1 shipping for all decals, otherwise please choose an appropriate shipping method

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com

#44 25 days ago

Harry, which one do I order for my CE? The custom route or the full width? Gotta combine this with the stickers and BP glass door.

#45 25 days ago

YAY, store is live!
*Please bear with me, if there are any questions or issues feel free to PM so I can help figure them out. New store for me, new payment processing, etc.
*2-3 weeks to produce all the products, you'll get a notification when your order ships.
*Flat rate $1 shipping for all decals, otherwise please choose an appropriate shipping method
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com

What's the level of effort to install this for LE owners?

Edit.... Is this what I want? I'm confused I just want the background full decal as LE owner and know what the effort is

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#46 25 days ago

$25 shipping. Yikes!

#47 25 days ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Harry, which one do I order for my CE? The custom route or the full width? Gotta combine this with the stickers and BP glass door.

The custom routed backboard is a replacement wood piece which would complement the plastic. Since you have the starmap your options are to either use a bent plastic (it will be slightly bent around the starmap PCB board that sticks out from the back of the backboard now) or to recess that starmap PCB so it sits inside the backboard so the plastic will sit flat.

So you want the full width plastic either way. If you want to simply replace the backboard with a pre-routed version that I am going to produce you can order that product as well. If you are wanting to do the bent version or can route out (or cut out) your existing backboard then you don't need to order the routed backboard.

Hope that's clear I'm going to be putting more details together this weekend and the CPR plastic should be at my house on Monday so I'll take some detailed pics and video with notes on the install options for next week.

#48 25 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

What's the level of effort to install this for LE owners?
Edit.... Is this what I want? I'm confused I just want the background full decal as LE owner and know what the effort is
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/full-width-galaxy-backboard-plastic-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Install is going to be based on what method. I know I'm making it harder on myself heh, but I wanted to offer enough options for most people. So with the LE/CE you can go with a bent plastic (I hope this works, lol.. haven't done it yet officially) that will be curved to fit around the existing starmap PCB. You'll remove the existing starmap plastic and put this one in place. It slips over everything else so it's really just a matter of minutes to swap it around. It will still look good but will have a "bump out" to fit around the PCB.

The other option is to somehow recess your PCB. I listed a custom routed backboard that can replace your existing one. There is some more disassembly involved to get at the screws to remove the backboard, some playfield part have to be moved out of the way. If you are comfortable following the instructions and tinkering with your pinball then it isn't that big of a job. If you can route out or cut your existing backboard then you don't need the one I am selling (or if you want to use the bent plastic version then you also don't need it).

I should have more info this week on what it will all look like. Don't worry about being in a rush to order since no matter what you order it will take a few weeks at least to get it all put together since we are just starting production on the window filler mod and the galaxy plastic.

#49 25 days ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

$25 shipping. Yikes!

For the plastic alone? Let me know what you had in your cart and I'll look in to it. I tried to make it accurate for Priority Mail. I was trying to account for box cost and padding material as well. It might be a too heavy or big in the store settings and cause the shipping to be way more than it should. I do know that USPS isn't all that cheap anymore with even just a basic small box with the window mod costing like $7-$10 and it weights next to nothing. True cost is probably like $15-20 anywhere in the US for the plastic. I think the box has to be something like 24x8x3" or so. I am going to add some sort of stiffener, like additional cardboard or something to prevent the plastic from being crushed.

#50 25 days ago

Install is going to be based on what method. I know I'm making it harder on myself heh, but I wanted to offer enough options for most people. So with the LE/CE you can go with a bent plastic (I hope this works, lol.. haven't done it yet officially) that will be curved to fit around the existing starmap PCB. You'll remove the existing starmap plastic and put this one in place. It slips over everything else so it's really just a matter of minutes to swap it around. It will still look good but will have a "bump out" to fit around the PCB.
The other option is to somehow recess your PCB. I listed a custom routed backboard that can replace your existing one. There is some more disassembly involved to get at the screws to remove the backboard, some playfield part have to be moved out of the way. If you are comfortable following the instructions and tinkering with your pinball then it isn't that big of a job. If you can route out or cut your existing backboard then you don't need the one I am selling (or if you want to use the bent plastic version then you also don't need it).
I should have more info this week on what it will all look like. Don't worry about being in a rush to order since no matter what you order it will take a few weeks at least to get it all put together since we are just starting production on the window filler mod and the galaxy plastic.

OK option 1 sounds like the answer for me unless it looks terrible so I'll wait to see what the pics look like before buying. thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Magical Productions
Playfield - Decals
Magical Productions
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside