(Topic ID: 224990)

Would an Australian Pinball Expo attract manufacturers from the US?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by blue95
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7766938_0 (resized).jpg
    42261194_1707255539402951_5287598022664912896_n (resized).jpg
    32767430_1536128999848940_5464460837429182464_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

I think for that to happen you would need to find a group of collectors who are disengaged from the local pinball politics that goes on down here and are not only willing to put up machines to bolster attendance numbers but would also need to withstand the fallout that will occur when they refuse to allow the local hierarchy to interfere with its organisation and implementation.

The current existing public pinball events down here are typically held for an ulterior motive (promoting themselves, promoting the local forums, flogging off beat up container pins in a public auction) rather than the primary goal of promoting pinball itself to the general public. This is why they lag behind our North American/European counterparts and always will.

Newcastle Pinfest may be considered by some as the front runner in a very small existing field but they need to sever the apron strings from the local forum if they ever want to attain anything remotely approaching world's best classification.

Above all, pinball in Australia needs to expand dramatically beyond its current clique status and place a much heavier emphasis on attracting new entrants. Broaden the userbase, lose the closed shop hierarchy mentality and the overseas pinball manufacturers will see untapped potential market growth and begin to take a much greater interest in what is happening in the antipode.

#5 5 years ago

Contact swinks - he can provide you with plenty of background info on how that place operates.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

I can only speak from my own experience - I rediscovered pinball in 2013 (thanks to Norbert Snicer for bringing pinball to non-pinball events, like Supanova), and since then we have met great people in the community which has helped in bringing pinball to the biggest pop culture / gaming event in the southern hemisphere, PAX Aus (in Melbourne). PAX Aus attracts over 60,000 attendees each year, and I can tell you they absolutely love the Classic Gaming area, especially the pinball section.
    I can't speak highly enough of the guys that volunteer their time and their pinball machines, as those three days at PAX Aus get quite hectic (very long hours (9am till 11pm)). We are doing our bit to showcase and bring pinball to non-pinball peeps, and it seems to be working (anecdotal evidence), as more and more establishments are routing pinball machines due to their patrons asking for them.
    If you are in Melbourne at the end of October (Oct 26 to 28), I would recommend you come along to PAX Aus and see for yourself the excitement on patrons faces when they come in and see (old and new) pinball machines, arcade machine and very old gaming systems. We (the collective of the Classic Gaming at PAX Aus) ensure that the area is friendly, inclusive, educational and fun - no egos or cliques.

Now that sounds like a great event which truly fits the criteria of a world's best classification.

I think this is where domestic pinball needs to be positioned to expand domestically and at the same time attract greater overseas interest at all levels. By attaching itself to a much larger userbase, then piggybacking off that larger attendance base, marketing and word of mouth not only assists with publicity so unlike dedicated local pinball events it also ensures that any of the existing pinball egos can't dominate and control the narrative for their own agenda.

Your efforts in the Victorian scene to expand the hobby base to a wider range of participants are admirable and perhaps it is wishful thinking but it would be great to see more Vic pinball guys show their support here for you publicly.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from robm:

Recent non clique events that (to my knowledge) were not held for ulterior motives...........

Go to any show in the US and you'll experience much better examples of a public pinball event.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from robm:

No problem at all with that statement, however your previous post had a tone about it suggesting that all events held in Australia were closed shop unless you were part of an exclusive club. I gave examples where that certainly isn't the case.

No tone at all, that's just some people choosing to get overly defensive after reading some shortcomings of the local scene and then trying to conflate a series of separate observations into one all encompassing indictment.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

I'm sure he knows heaps from the 3 weeks he was involved in the first one held 7 years ago and that's all I'm going to say about that.

That was fortuitous then. Any longer and you run the risk of turning into just another matching tshirt wearing drone toeing the party line.

On that note, this should be the first year that attendees are permitted to give honest reviews about Thunderbirds on pinside without threats of banning (or imaginary international lawsuits) from AA.

Wait, what how's that work again?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

You sound like you would be an absolute blast to be around at a party. Such a ray of sunshine.

If you are looking for someone to simply parrot everything the local masters tell them to regurgitate, you've got the wrong person and the wrong forum.

1 week later
    #47 5 years ago
    Quoted from SquidVicious:Jack's been to the last two flipouts ... so has Homepin .. Stern has had reps there .. if what you mean is they don't come to Ontario .. well then you are correct (not sure why it's the case)

They saw the potential for market growth in Canada.

Homepin had to face reality sooner or later about the global market and not just rely on our limited local market down here who whilst great for the ego are terrible for the bank balance.

Ironically I said that advice from the start.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-an-australian-pinball-expo-attract-manufacturers-from-the-us?tu=pinsanity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.