(Topic ID: 224990)

Would an Australian Pinball Expo attract manufacturers from the US?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by blue95
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7766938_0 (resized).jpg
    42261194_1707255539402951_5287598022664912896_n (resized).jpg
    32767430_1536128999848940_5464460837429182464_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ausretrogamer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I was thinking in line of manufacturers doing announcement (or at least support/allow their country distributor to do so) of their upcoming/new titles & reveals, just like at TPF & (the old) Pinball Expo.

We’ve had Jersey Jack come out here a few times, which is fantastic, but our events/expos feel amateurish in comparison.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I have attended numerous pinball events in many countries and I think that Australian Newcastle Pinfest is without doubt world best. Six years running and better every year.
    There are manufacturers as well as distributors displaying new products at this event. Every brand including new ones are usually represented in some way. It doesn't need the actual manufacturer to attend and often there is a deal done where the local distributor 'flies the flag' for the actual manufacturer.
    The upcoming event in Newcastle has Gary Stern as a keynote speaker among others. Surely that qualifies?
    I can only assume you haven't been to it or you mean something else by your post?

Have heard good things about Newcastle Pinfest. Haven’t attended personally, but one of our contributors will be there in a few weeks, so I’ll be keen to hear/see/read what he files for us.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Contact swinks - he can provide you with plenty of background info on how that place operates.

I can only speak from my own experience - I rediscovered pinball in 2013 (thanks to Norbert Snicer for bringing pinball to non-pinball events, like Supanova), and since then we have met great people in the community which has helped in bringing pinball to the biggest pop culture / gaming event in the southern hemisphere, PAX Aus (in Melbourne). PAX Aus attracts over 60,000 attendees each year, and I can tell you they absolutely love the Classic Gaming area, especially the pinball section.
    I can't speak highly enough of the guys that volunteer their time and their pinball machines, as those three days at PAX Aus get quite hectic (very long hours (9am till 11pm)). We are doing our bit to showcase and bring pinball to non-pinball peeps, and it seems to be working (anecdotal evidence), as more and more establishments are routing pinball machines due to their patrons asking for them.
    If you are in Melbourne at the end of October (Oct 26 to 28), I would recommend you come along to PAX Aus and see for yourself the excitement on patrons faces when they come in and see (old and new) pinball machines, arcade machine and very old gaming systems. We (the collective of the Classic Gaming at PAX Aus) ensure that the area is friendly, inclusive, educational and fun - no egos or cliques.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

We only have 25 million people here and 20,000km away from the usa, looks like we will have 2 manufacturers at Flipout

Definitely looking forward to Flipout 2018! Loved the first one (2016), but missed out last year (new family arrival kept us busy). Buying a couple of tickets as we speak - bringing along my brother-in-law as he is now into pinball and looking for his first machine. I've recommended Mr Pinball as I was happy with my AFMR LE purchase (and subsequent service).

PS: I hope the t-shirts will be available for purchase at the event!!!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

I'm sure he knows heaps from the 3 weeks he was involved in the first one held 7 years ago and that's all I'm going to say about that.
    Anyhow on a positive note, Newcastle Pinfest is on this weekend raising money for local charity again. This year it's at a new, bigger venue at Club Macquarie Lake Road Argenton. See the flyer for details
    [quoted image]

Wish I was going. I’ll live vicariously through the Facebook event page.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

Yes you could have been wearing a Flipout Tshirt

well played

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Here are some photos of Pinfest 2018 set-up and testing day. All ready to go for tomorrow morning.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/NewcastlePinballAssociation/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1708624275932744

Whoa! Thanks heaps for sharing. Damn this is gonna be another awesome fest!

PS: love the Pinfest tees!

#43 5 years ago

Fantastic stuff! Pinfest looked like it was a huge success. Thanks again for the links.

PS: Great to see that Norbert Snicer was there (one of the most generous & genuine people in pinball)

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Seemed pretty good, was a new venue, so we were pretty happy with the response from the public. Hopefully the venue was happy with us and want us back again next time

I'd be surprised if the venue wouldn't want PinFest back for 2019! It is on the bucket list, so hopefully i/we will be able to make it in the near future. Well done and congrats once again!

5 years later
    #49 6 months ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Old topic, but yes, Stern even specially made a Venom Premium and airfreighted it here for the event
    [quoted image]

Hoping to attend Pinfest in the near future

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ausretrogamer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-an-australian-pinball-expo-attract-manufacturers-from-the-us?tu=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.