Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

We have an Alltek board and for our Paragon project it seems that the sounds from the 729-51 roms and correct sound board (AS-2518-50) are a little different than what youtube videos sound like.

Does anyone have similar experiences with Alltek MPUs?

#2 9 years ago

Curious to hear this as well...the sound on my Paragon is not quite right too, but I haven't even looked into it since the entire machine is about to get blown apart for restore.

Could also be the capacitors on the sound board?

#3 9 years ago

It certainly could, as sound variations on many of those Bally games are controlled via dip switch on the MPU.

Check the dip setting listings on your Paragon and see if any change the sounds.

#4 9 years ago

I set dips 8 and 32 to on so that should give me full sounds for all switches. It is the tone that seems to be off, which I understand would be more than expected if using the incorrect AS-2518-32 board or incorrect ROM's.

For the time being, I don't really plan on replacing or changing anything else since the sounds I have are good enough and I have bigger fish on this project.

Thanks northeastern people..

#5 9 years ago

Did you go into sound option and reprogram which option you want? I think03 are all the sounds

#6 9 years ago

No

Quoted from Crispin:Did you go into sound option and reprogram which option you want? I think03 are all the sounds

Actually no, I only changed the dip switches (8 & 32). Can you direct me on how exactly to change to 03?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

We have an Alltek board and for our Paragon project it seems that the sounds from the 729-51 roms and correct sound board (AS-2518-50) are a little different than what youtube videos sound like.
Does anyone have similar experiences with Alltek MPUs?

On the sound board, is c22 and r28 installed? They should be removed for Paragon.

You need jumpers a&d removed. B&c installed

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Did you go into sound option and reprogram which option you want? I think03 are all the sounds

No adjustable audits in this game, sound options are mpu dip switched

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

On the sound board, is c22 and r28 installed? They should be removed for Paragon.
You need jumpers a&d removed. B&c installed

Thanks barakandl...yes c22 and r28 are out and B & C are jumped while the 4+ A's on the board and the D are not.

Maybe the sound board does need a little bit of electrical work.

Thanks!

#10 9 years ago

Rythum, or tone/pitch sounds off? Is just one note that sounds bad?

Do you have an easy way to record the sound? I have fixed lots of these sound boards and can identify some problems by the way it sounds.

2 months later
#11 9 years ago

As a follow up, I may still have an unresolved issue with the interaction between the Alltek MPU and the factory sound board. At least the -50 one for Paragon.

I never did work out this issue on why the sounds were slightly different since I have a limited amount of skill and testing equipment, and up to this moment I had concluded that it was attributable to slightly higher than normal voltage readings on the power rectifier board having an effect on the -50 sound board, or that the -50 board I have is out of spec.

But I have been speaking with another pinsider about his results on swapping in a new 9.1 version Alltek MPU and he is also noticing a difference in sounds between the original MPU and the Alltek one.

What I personally found curious is that when I plug in the Embryon sound board and playfield set up, the sounds are the same (to me) between the original mpu and the Alltek one. With the Paragon -50 sound board the sounds are an octave off.

This is my "pin2k minus 20" setup, so everything else is the same and as I need to have the ability to easily go between game roms I have accepted it as a side effect of the Alltek.

Quoted from NJGecko:

Curious to hear this as well...the sound on my Paragon is not quite right too, but I haven't even looked into it since the entire machine is about to get blown apart for restore.
Could also be the capacitors on the sound board?

#12 9 years ago

The mpu just sends generic solenoid signals for the sound board to interpret. I find it really doubtful Pitch of sounds would be changed by mpu.

I have noticed buffered vs unbuffered 4049 in the pre amp section can affect pitch of sounds. The frequency generator circuit could have mild differences from board to board based on 5% to 10% tolerance rated parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-an-alltek-mpu-cause-variation-in-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.