Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1495851787729298680668 (resized).jpg
    Mugatu-So-Hot-Right-Now (resized).jpg
    20151128_224708 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2017-05-26 00.53.10 (resized).png
    WWII_test_03 (resized).jpg
    Cabinet art 1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pic1602641_md (resized).jpg
    saucer (resized).jpg
    German_Cross.svg (resized).png
    poster (resized).jpg
    602-inglourious-basterds (resized).png
    There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Machine guns, explosions, the battles?

#2 6 years ago

Gimme ideas, so I can steal them

#3 6 years ago

The bash toy is an ornate European stone bridge, blows up like MM castle, there's a sniper in the bell tower like the damsel in MM. It's called the Eisen-tower.

#5 6 years ago

The final wizard mode would be too dangerous.

#6 6 years ago

There's a mode where you try to save Private Ryan.

#7 6 years ago

There where a few war themed games in the past.

Now you really can't have nazi symbols in it as that makes it a hard sell world wide. also some of older ones had to be changed for some over seas markets.

#8 6 years ago

Blackout mode, nighttime bombing run... (hit targets in the dark)
    I think it would work!

#9 6 years ago

Or go Champion Pub style, but a Hitler bash toy instead of the normal boxer....

#10 6 years ago

Yeah with a spin, like inglorious bastards

#11 6 years ago

It's an idea. Though I don't think people will want a history lesson while playing.

Might be hard to sell in Europe. Two world wars in the last century and they may have heard enough about them.

LTG : )

#12 6 years ago

Base it on the Dirty Dozen.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's an idea. Though I don't think people will want a history lesson while playing.
    Might be hard to sell in Europe. Two world wars in the last century and they may have heard enough about them.
    LTG : )

as well some taste issues in the usa if a game covers some issues as well.

Now war games have worked good on the pc / consoles. But it's hard to move that to pinball and have it be good.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

as well some taste issues in the usa if a game covers some issues as well.
    Now war games have worked good on the pc / consoles. But it's hard to move that to pinball and have it be good.

Tropic Thunder pinball. That way everyone knows it's a spoof.

#15 6 years ago

Not a good idea to base a game on a war that killed thousands of people. It was thought about previously by Data East with Operation Desert Storm.
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4007

John

#16 6 years ago

Sounds like a good idea as long as the wizard mode is called Total Nuclear Annihilation.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not a good idea to base a game on a war that killed thousands of people. It was thought about previously by Data East with Operation Desert Storm.
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4007
    John

Point taken, but about 1000 video games have been based on WW2 with no kick back.
    Why would the telling of this war via a pinball machine be viewed as a negative? Honest question.
    Terry.

#18 6 years ago

How about base it on "Kelly's Hero's"

#19 6 years ago

I actually thought about this the other day....funny you post this. I was thinking if the pin was set from an air craft carrier perspective. Different modes would include defending the ship from aerial assualt, attack other ships, depth charges, etc

The cab side art would look like a P-51 Mustang.

#20 6 years ago

We'd get some good "Hitler Reacts..." videos out of it, at the least.

#21 6 years ago

Step 1: Name it "Call of Duty: Battlefield"
    Step 2: ??
    Step 3: Profit.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Point taken, but about 1000 video games have been based on WW2 with no kick back.
    Why would the telling of this war via a pinball machine be viewed as a negative? Honest question.
    Terry.

Great point. I don't have an answer.

#23 6 years ago

I think that video games and pinball are two totally separate things. Yes there both from the arcade era but that's about the extent of it. Just because it's "acceptable" for the video game market doesn't mean its a good thing for the pinball market. People like to play/pretend that there killing something on a video screen by pointing a plastic gun two inches from the screen....not sure why but I guess it's because they cant do it in real life maybe? Probably why shows like Walking Dead are so popular, "lets see how many zombies we can kill off in the next sixty minutes".....ugh!!
    Why drag pinball down to that level and what would be the gain? I seriously doubt that a game based on a world war would sell enough to even break even for any manufacture in the hobby. And again why would they want to associate there brand name to anything that negative?
    That would be like Ford bragging about how there white bronco's are the first choice for a getaway vehicle. Maybe not the same thing but you get the idea.

John

#24 6 years ago

Why yes I would buy a Hogan's Heroes themed pin.

#25 6 years ago

Lets Steal some stuff already done.

Use the POTC Sinking ship, and make it a Battleship.
    Use the Bomber, dead center from Tommy.
    add a land mine course from Path of the Dead.
    Grab some stuff from IJ.
    A cannon Firing from AC/Dc
    Maybe a beachfront lower play field.

Each branch has its missions, and the all work to end with the Enola Gay.

Multi Ball and overlapping Military Branch Modes, are orchestrated to the 1812 overture.
    Extra Flashers mounted for explosions.

Include Big Band/Swing music.

#26 6 years ago

I was thinking the buildup and progress towards a goal would lend itself to good gameplay. I mean we won? Right? I think I think it could be done w/o getting too specific or negative

#27 6 years ago

It's a good concept. Some guys in Canada are working on a pin with such a theme.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

. I mean we won? Right?

Won? It's a war, nobody "wins".

John

#29 6 years ago

A WW2 battle tank pin would be ideal. Something like from the movie Fury.

Image the player/players with a tank that is slightly setback from the flippers. And a cannon in the same area (obviously above the tank) that shoots all the balls. The display would have a map with different missons to progress and to go to join new battles. As you destory tanks you could upgrade your armor, increase ammo (extra balls), earn rankings. You could even go heads up or team play online with other players. With an online ranking system. Even have monthly payouts to top players/teams.

Thoughts?

#30 6 years ago

I thought he meant WhiteWater 2... .............Joey

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not a good idea to base a game on a war that killed thousands of people.

Jesus if you're going to complain get the scope right. Saying "thousands of people died" in WWII is insulting enough by itself

#32 6 years ago

I think it would be cool if done Axis and Allies (the board game) style. Pick your country and try to win the war. Battle of Midway multiball!!! Each country has different rules for victory. I'd be interested in the title.

I've always thought an American Civil War game would be cool as well, or one set in early Roman times but based on countries fighting for dominance of the Mediterranean. A war theme could be really cool.

#33 6 years ago

I think it'd be fun to see an 80s cold war pin (eg War Games).

#34 6 years ago

I don't think it's a good idea may work if based on a comedy hogan's heroe's or something or world of tanks pc game?
    Maybe das boot or boat sub game?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus if you're going to complain get the scope right. Saying "thousands of people died" in WWII is insulting enough by itself

So is even suggesting that a game should be based on it.

John

#36 6 years ago

Not a theme I would care for, but I didn't want to reenlist either. If I was going to base a pin on a similar concept I would chose a scenario like WarGames where it was winning at or preventing nuclear war or a game like Plague where you are trying to kill everyone by creating and spreading disease.

I guess I would prefer something that has a less 'real' theme.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I was thinking the buildup and progress towards a goal would lend itself to good gameplay. I mean we won? Right? I think I think it could be done w/o getting too specific or negative

Many nations lost on so many levels. So if you were a part one of those countries you wouldn't play it?

"I mean we won? Right?" One of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on pinside.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

There where a few war themed games in the past.
    Now you really can't have nazi symbols in it as that makes it a hard sell world wide. also some of older ones had to be changed for some over seas markets.

Only in germany, afaik, swastikas are usually tolerated if it fits the theme in
    other places

#39 6 years ago

Special Force by Balmy is based on Vietnam. I had one and it was cool to collect bombs and use them on the village, but wrong.

#40 6 years ago

Balmy Damon autocorrect

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Each country has different rules for victory.

I could dig it. Kinda like a cross between "Risk" and that old game "Age of Empires." I could see something along the lines of each country having different advantages and disadvantages.

I do agree with with other's opinions where a game specifically revolving around WWII might be a touch to sensitive in certain regions, however, It'd be fun to see some creative liberties taken with a war theme. Maybe start the game with revolutionary era weapon sets, but as the player progresses through the game, weapon sets advance to more modern ones--similar to the river progression in white water.

#42 6 years ago

But everyone likes killing Nazis!

602-inglourious-basterds (resized).png602-inglourious-basterds (resized).png

poster (resized).jpgposter (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

WWI or WWII would be fascinating titles. Only thing that might be a struggle would be putting swastica art on your machine. But with the theme wouldn't it be impossible to ignore it.

#44 6 years ago

Lots of WW2 themed items get by with the Iron Cross instead.... also you could limit that art to items that could be easily swapped out - Germany is the only country I know of that outright bans the swastika.

German_Cross.svg (resized).pngGerman_Cross.svg (resized).png

#45 6 years ago

Which part of WW II do you want?

European Theatre?

Which part of the ET?

* D-Day at Sword Beach? Normandy? etc.
    * Battle of the Bulge?
    * B-17 daytime bombing runs?
    * British night time bombing runs?
    * Death Camp rescues?
    * U-2 Wolfpacks?

South Pacific?

* Pearl Harbor?
    * Midway?
    * Doolittle's aircraft carrier bomb run to Japan?
    * Some island hopping from Guadalcanal all the way up to the point where two nukes were dropped on Japan?

China/ Burma/ India?

* Go behind enemy lines in Burma with Gen. Stillwell ? Call it Merrill's Marauders ?

There are a lot of stories in WW II. Lots of back patting moments. And lots of ways to insult lots of people.

#46 6 years ago

To keep the game from upsetting people a licensed theme would probably be best. Something like Wolfenstein where you could escape a castle full of Nazis or even based on a movie like Where Eagles Dare would be great.

#47 6 years ago

Seems a little depressing for a pinball game. I can't think of any war themed game - Operation Thunder, Raven, Special Forces - that I'd want in my collection.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems a little depressing for a pinball game. I can't think of any war themed game - Operation Thunder, Raven, Special Forces - that I'd want in my collection.

what are you talking about i know you secretly would love to have a raven

#49 6 years ago

Mein Kampf to attain wizard mode with one ball.

#50 6 years ago

Although it would be a cool theme its sure to offend someone.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-a-ww2-pin-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.