(Topic ID: 103785)

Would a Keith Haring themed pinball machine work?

By unigroove

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2yRvIM3 (resized).jpg
    DSCN8493 (resized).JPG
    haring 03 (resized).JPG
    haring 02 (resized).JPG
    haring 01 (resized).JPG
    gorey.jpg
    Keith_Haring3.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I just bought a beautiful photobook about the art of Keith Haring. While flipping through I couldn't help but wonder whether a pinball machine with Keith Haring artwork could work.

Retheming an old early SS game could be interesting, but there might as well be a demand for a commercial LE run of a game with an 80s type of playfield. Thoughts?
    Keith_Haring3.jpg

#2 5 years ago

The green dolphin molesting that fellow is pretty wild stuff!

The colors are fun but seems like there would need to be some story to tie the elements together.

One of my favorite artists was Edward Gorey, the opposite side of the coin. His stories would make a neat theme, but then you have no color whatsoever!

gorey.jpg

#3 5 years ago

With love, you guys are wierd

#4 5 years ago

Who?

#5 5 years ago

Greatest theme since Shaq Attaq!

#7 5 years ago

Ive thought about making an actual artist themed homebrew machine, and Keith Haring would probably be a good jumping off point!

I figure since Dirty Donny is doing one-offs of skateboard graphics, why not just cut to the chase and hire Michael Sieben, Todd Bratrud, Andrew Pommier or Ed Templeton?

At any rate, yes, Id be in for an 80's SS Keith Haring pin with some in line drop targets of stick figure dudes dancing. Sweet 80s music to go with it too!

3 years later
    #8 2 years ago

http://www.collectionneursdeflippers.com/jean-mi#65428

haring 01 (resized).JPG
    haring 02 (resized).JPG
    haring 03 (resized).JPG

#9 2 years ago

Haring Invaders!

#10 2 years ago

Wow that’s beautiful. I’m a huge Haring fan. What’s the story behind this?

#11 2 years ago

I mean this in the kindest way possible (I'm often guilty of the same thing)---everyone needs to stop re-hashing 30-40 year old themes. You have to face facts, that in order to be commercially viable, it has to appeal to a large demographic swath. The idea that random potential themes will succeed in any way commercially has got to stop. Realize that the interests of most of the people on pinside are probably not the same as the general public. So, no Love Boat, Running Man, Space 1999, etc. games (yeah, I know no one has asked about these, just extreme examples). If you're thinking about anything like this, realize that you're the exception. And you're old. Me too.

#12 2 years ago

This is a one off with zero commercial appeal. I'm old too haha, but totally get what you're saying. But please, moving forward, let's not compare one of the greatest artists of the 20th century with the Love Boat

#13 2 years ago

It is a beautiful game-but as a one off. I'm more commenting on the tendency of people on here jus throwing out there personal favorites from 30 yrs ago as commercially viable ideas.

In my real life, I make merchandise for marvel DC and wwe. I can't tell you how often 10 yrs ago or so, guys in their late 50-60s would walk up to me at shows and indignantly ask why I didn't make Roy Rogers merchandise or Tarzan or something else from the 40s or 50s. Would it be cool. Yes. As a business, could I justify (and I justify a lot of dubious stuff) it, No.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Haring Invaders!

Haringball Mania.

rd

#15 2 years ago

I think fine arts fine!
    Pabst blue ribbon! Yeah

#16 2 years ago

He'll yeah, I love Keith Harring. When are you going to do Tracy 168?

#17 2 years ago

In the 80s, yes. Today. No.

#18 2 years ago

I can see a whole series: a Warhol machine, a Salvador Dali machine, a da Vinci machine. A Banksy machine.
    They wouldn't sell, but what a potential installation at the Museum of Art in Chicago.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

I mean this in the kindest way possible (I'm often guilty of the same thing)---everyone needs to stop re-hashing 30-40 year old themes. You have to face facts, that in order to be commercially viable, it has to appeal to a large demographic swath. The idea that random potential themes will succeed in any way commercially has got to stop. Realize that the interests of most of the people on pinside are probably not the same as the general public. So, no Love Boat, Running Man, Space 1999, etc. games (yeah, I know no one has asked about these, just extreme examples). If you're thinking about anything like this, realize that you're the exception. And you're old. Me too.

Actually I have a Williams Big Star EM pin here that I just brought back from the dead that is really, really fun to play but the artwork/theme leaves a lot to be desired... This might be my first re-theme and my first thought was a proper Star Wars EM pin with chimes (someone installed a Bally chime box and it sounds great) and a soundboard and speaker for certain events/callouts..

After turning that over in my head for a few days I got to thinking I have never seen a Space 1999 theme pin... the wheels are turning.. Paint the cabinet black with a big 'ol space 1999 logo on the side, translight with Eagle 1 taking flight with the moon in the background.. show theme playing at coin up.. Maybe even a small LCD flipping through scenes from the show.. hmm..

DSCN8493 (resized).JPG

2yRvIM3 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.50
    $ 87.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 137.00
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside