• Straight down the middle drain 8 votes
    5%
  • Outlane drain 5 votes
    3%
  • Tilt trying to save last ball (and missing bonus) 8 votes
    5%
  • Handful of points short of Grand Champion score 12 votes
    8%
  • Having to leave unfinished game due to closing time (if on location) 4 votes
    3%
  • Ball stuck 19 votes
    12%
  • Something breaks 21 votes
    13%
  • Switch error registers a drain while ball still on playfield 6 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 157 votes by 118 Pinsiders)

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Probably if the pin caught fire

#52 3 years ago

“Something breaks”

Like the playfield glass on my brother’s BF!

There I was “in the zone” killing it and making great stuff happen under the glass, when that last fateful nudge knocked the makeshift die-cast Batmobile “topper” off the the backbox...

Of course I felt terrible; both of us were inexperienced at the time, but I was less so than he and I felt like I should have recognized the danger (even in my 40s I still go into “protective big brother” mode).

On the plus side, he got a pristine new piece of glass and we both got a crash course in shopping a fairly difficult playfield (I don’t know about you guys, but I learn and retain most effectively when under pressure). In the end the game turned out great, played better, and was sold a couple of years later for quite a bit more than he originally paid.

#53 3 years ago

On more than one occasion, it would never fail that I would have a huge game going, and my kids (when they were younger) would run up to the machine and press the start button, restarting the game. I used to have that feature enabled on a game, because they enjoyed hearing the start sounds of a lot of different games.

#54 3 years ago

Well, historically, for me, my nemesis has always been Scared Stiff... Last ball and you get Stiff-O-Meter to the top needing one last shot to the crate... and you shank your shot into a leaper post and rebound SDTM... I have done this more times than any other wizard mode. However, at the last Expo, where everyone was huddled around EHoH, I walked up to the SS sitting next to Elvira's signing table and proceeded to GC it and taking it all the way to Monster Madness. A younger woman player was the only one watching me and after putting in my initials I said, "well I haven't done that in a long time" since it had been years since I had done it, and even then, only in the wild while paying to play it. The young lady just looked at me in awe and said "I have never done it, that was fun... good game", and this left me a little speechless. Even though I consider SS's wizard mode to be one of the easiest, sometimes it takes a humbling remark like that to remind you that yeah, in the grand scheme of things, I guess I should not take for granted all the wizard modes I have seen and completed as something everyone else has too. We all can't be Tommy, but if you can't, its nice to be at least a close cousin.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

We all can't be Tommy, but if you can't, its nice to be at least a close cousin.

You don't want to be Cousin Kevin, though!

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You don't want to be Cousin Kevin, though!

Or Uncle Ernie... fiddle about...

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well, historically, for me, my nemesis has always been Scared Stiff... Last ball and you get Stiff-O-Meter to the top needing one last shot to the crate... and you shank your shot into a leaper post and rebound SDTM... I have done this more times than any other wizard mode. However, at the last Expo, where everyone was huddled around EHoH, I walked up to the SS sitting next to Elvira's signing table and proceeded to GC it and taking it all the way to Monster Madness. A younger woman player was the only one watching me and after putting in my initials I said, "well I haven't done that in a long time" since it had been years since I had done it, and even then, only in the wild while paying to play it. The young lady just looked at me in awe and said "I have never done it, that was fun... good game", and this left me a little speechless. Even though I consider SS's wizard mode to be one of the easiest, sometimes it takes a humbling remark like that to remind you that yeah, in the grand scheme of things, I guess I should not take for granted all the wizard modes I have seen and completed as something everyone else has too. We all can't be Tommy, but if you can't, its nice to be at least a close cousin.

That’s why getting Scared Stiff never gets old. Try getting spider mania, that’s a lot more difficult. I’ve yet to do it.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The worst way I can imagine is if a car hits your house and tilts your Rick and Morty when you had 40 megaseeds, screwing you out of a bonus equal to twice what you earned on a killer ball 3!

Oddly specific. Hmmm

#59 3 years ago

Also I’ve ended a game, more than once, tilting (losing my bonus of course) while aggressively nudging while the ball save is on. Duh.

#60 3 years ago

What I hate is when you're having a decent (or better than decent) game and suddenly one flipper completely quits on you because the wire broke off the flipper coil lug underneath.

I've had that happen at least three times over the years. Even happened on my Aerosmith less than a month after bringing it home.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

What I hate is when you're having a decent (or better than decent) game and suddenly one flipper completely quits on you because the wire broke off the flipper coil lug underneath.
I've had that happen at least three times over the years. Even happened on my Aerosmith less than a month after bringing it home.

This has happened to me as well. Never on 3rd ball, but it's happened on my Centaur and a Judge Dredd I used to have. Right in the middle of decent games.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

A great game on MB comes to mind, it was one of the few times I had a chance at Monsters of Rock.
One of the two top spheres by Igor came a part and the half circle was working its way down the playfield and was heading between the flippers. I had to stop the game pull down the glass and retrieve it. I lost the ball on that and never recovered.
I used crazy glue to prevent it from happening again.

I can relate to this. One time playing Judge Dredd, a plastic broke and I could see it slowly making its way down the playfield, but still high enough by the top vuk. I tried like hell to avoid shooting in that direction so that I could finish my game. Unfortunately, got to multiball, all hell broke loose, and one of the balls poshed the plastic INTO the vuk. I didn't even notice until I realized a ball was stuck in the vuk and would not kick back out. Had to remove the glass, take the ball out of the vuk, and noticed the plastic had lodged itself inside blocking the ball from making it down to the kicker to be pushed out.

Ever since then, I take no chances. Plastic breaks, I remove the playfield right away and retrieve it before it can make it somewhere it could cause damage.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

That’s why getting Scared Stiff never gets old. Try getting spider mania, that’s a lot more difficult. I’ve yet to do it.

I got it last week, on a 50m game. It was a rush!

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

I recently experienced "Dog barfs on feet while having a particularly good ball 3 on AFM," so I think that should be an option.

so.... did you keep playing?

#65 3 years ago

Sudden WPC resetting . Not only game played but possibility many differing issues .

Shane

#66 3 years ago

The worst is definitely when something outside of your control happens that ends a good game. Software crashing, an important solenoid failing, a switch error ending a ball, etc. Ending with an EB lit or a shot away from a wizard mode is rough, but at least those things can be chalked up to player error and those moments make it so much more satisfying when you finally do reach that wizard mode.

I'd say the worst way to end a game caused by player error would be tilting on the last ball though. There's just something super lame about a game ending without getting a final bonus sequence, especially in games with music or sounds specifically for the last one like Whitewater.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

This happened to me in the semi-finals of PAPA 2 - while playing against Rick Stetta, Dallas Overturf, and Roger Sharpe.

Fortunately, I was able to trap the ball on the other flipper and they were able to repair the flipper without having to re-start the game. But it sure did induce a panic in me when I went to hit the ball and the flipper did nothing...

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Dude played LOTR for like an hour. Got ONE shot away from starting Valinor Multiball. Hit bad shot & drained right down the middle. Game over.

100% player fault here

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-way-to-finish-a-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.