Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

troll (resized).jpg
TradeWinds (resized).jpg
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Anecdotal crap not worthy of any more brief attention. But by all means though, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Ok troller, I'm not the only one that thinks it's a flaw.

#52 7 years ago

troll (resized).jpgtroll (resized).jpg

#53 7 years ago

I think "design flaw" is a bit of an overstatement for some of the issues mentioned in this thread. Pinball is a game of mm. A slightly bent ball guide can make a big difference in how a ball reacts. No game is designed to have the ball go STDM from the pops 60% of the time. In any sort of hand assembled product like a pinball machine there may be variances and the machine has to be adjusted.

I get on location these things would be more frustrating than not, because you cannot adjust them yourselves, but it doesn't mean the overall design of the machine is flawed.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

No game is designed to have the ball go STDM from the pops 60% of the time.

Ever play Spy Hunter? Hahaha. Well, technically it hits the unobstructed outlane off the pop a little more than SDTM.

#55 7 years ago

Aren't all pinball machines supposed to be easy?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Aren't all pinball machines supposed to be easy?

If they aren't, you better call it flawed!

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Out of all the modern pins (EMs, obviously, are in their own league), definitely Ghostbusters. It's the one pin I've seen that has to be the most well-tuned to not screw you over repeatedly, which I think is really legitimately frustrating. Any one of at least five things - left pops exit dumping ball SDTM, orbit gate being stuck in the up position, Slimer not registering, left scoop misaligned, and tilted or twisted stand-up targets - make the game virtually unplayable.

Yup, might as well just rename this thread: "Ghostbusters is the most unfair fun-sucking game ever made". Every single one I've played has SOME problem of SOME sort to fuck the player.

#58 7 years ago

Gotta agree with all the comments in GB. I enjoy playing it but there always seems to be some kind of problem that spoils it from being great.

I don't know if all Shadows are like mine but mine drains like crazy. Hitting the sanctum or battlefield targets often send the ball sdtm. Same for any missed ramp shots. Outlane drains are also very common.

Most annoying for me is STTNG without the extended guides. With the canons blocking the view, you have no chance to save the ball.

#59 7 years ago

STTNG - the outlanes and slingshot shape make this game one that I refuse to put quarters into. Pure evil.

TWD - for all of you who are like "my game doesn't drain out of the pops..." Good for you. Every single TWD I have played does. Bad design that again, makes me resolved to not put cash into them on location.

Those two are my main complaints due to the game design being the cause of the drains. Effing quarter thieves these two.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

My Firepower seems to have a lot of very quick drains just off the plunge where you never get to flip the ball.
Two most common scenarios involve plunging the ball and having it drop down through one of the top rollovers and then either: 1) the ball bounces left off a jet bumper and takes a small hop off the long rubber that lines the outside surface of the left orbit channel and then heads SDTM, or 2) the ball rockets back and forth between the 4 jet bumpers a few times and then hits off the inside posts of the standup-target banks and trickles SDTM.
You want power drains, FP can accommodate that too as the slings and jet bumpers can throw the ball out the side drains quicker than an Aroldis Chapman fastball.
No timed ball save feature on that era (assuming you haven't had a single shot at activating the left-side shield).
I've had games where I didn't get to flip all 3 balls and just barely managed to top 10,000 points.

This was my selection as well. The black hole is KILLER! Now my other game, Xenon, rarely drains, and usually a well timed nudge can keep that from happening. Only the "straight down" are the ones you cannot stop.

#61 7 years ago

I haven't played a lot of newer games but one of the establishments I frequent has a Kiss Pro, and that stupid demon lock spits the ball right down the middle almost every time. Its so frustrating!

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Might be a wax issue. My playfield is super shiny waxed with Gerlitz guitar wax. The almost always exits the pops onto the left flipper.

You have to pay attention on this game. Watch the ball as it's exiting the pop area. Usually it will catch the post on the right and deflect to the left flipper. If you can see it's not going to catch the post, you need to shove the game to the left to bump the ball a bit and help it out.

#63 7 years ago

Congo out of the pops

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I haven't played a lot of newer games but one of the establishments I frequent has a Kiss Pro, and that stupid demon lock spits the ball right down the middle almost every time. Its so frustrating!

Tell that establishment to update the code. A ball save was added with one of the code revisions.

#65 7 years ago

Great games are approachable to novices, but reward expert players with special modes or scoring opportunities. Ghostbusters is exclusively for excellent players and is impossible for novices. I can't understand the business case for a machine that is made exclusively for expert players - that's a small sub-market of a small market.

#66 7 years ago

I think its BSD by a mile. Never get 3 balls in a row without feeling a screwed.

#67 7 years ago

For me, it's Pinbot.

It's such a shame. I love -everything- about that game except how ripped off I feel 2 out of 3 balls.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I know this is probably more of a setup issue, but I just played a Flintstones for the first time the other day. The geometry of the plunge had me scratching my head. Ball went around the orbit, and then across the PF straight into the right outlane. Ball Saved. Then it plunges it again... right into the damn right outlane. This happened on 2 of my 3 balls and I was able to nudge 1 ball in play. Then I went back later to see if that was just a fluke and it happened on ANOTHER 2 out of 3 balls. That was enough Flintstones for me.

Its waa broken then bc its supposed to go in to the pops after launch....there's 2 controlled gates that's were probably broken

#69 7 years ago

STTNG no question. Mine doesn't have lane extenders but I'm damn interested in learning more about these Where?

thx!

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

STTNG no question. Mine doesn't have lane extenders but I'm damn interested in learning more about these Where?
thx!

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306

A good tip for STTNG - if the ball is coming toward the top of the right sling, give the game a "forward nudge"...the ball will almost always bounce up and ricochet off the yellow targets, avoiding the outlane completely.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

TWD - for all of you who are like "my game doesn't drain out of the pops..." Good for you. Every single TWD I have played does. Bad design that again, makes me resolved to not put cash into them on location.

That's what made me trade TWD for XMLE. We have so much more fun with XMLE. TWD was just so frustrating because the ball spends most of the time in pops area that even 30% STDM drains were way too much to endure.

#72 7 years ago

I've got to echo Pinbot. I've played an entire game with out touching a ball....

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306
A good tip for STTNG - if the ball is coming toward the top of the right sling, give the game a "forward nudge"...the ball will almost always bounce up and ricochet off the yellow targets, avoiding the outlane completely.

Had the game for 10 years and I don't think I've ever tried a forward nudge on it there. I usually close my eyes, squeal like a girl and shake side to side

Thanks for the tip, will try that out.

#74 7 years ago

KISS, ball saver doesn't always cover it. Played it in league over the summer, where we didn't have ability to tweak gene Simmons on location. Saw a few people have their turns end prematurely by locking balls.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from fish1975tx:

KISS, ball saver doesn't always cover it. Played it in league over the summer, where we didn't have ability to tweak gene Simmons on location. Saw a few people have their turns end prematurely by locking balls.

They shouldn't stand so close together.

#76 7 years ago

The Dark Knight's clunky ramp that often will send shots not sent all the way up right down the middle. That's one that annoyed me enough to sell it.

#77 7 years ago

Of the B/W titles I've owned, STTNG was the most punishing, followed by TZ (balls in the jets to the left outlane was vicious on my example).
For Stern, GB and TWD (even with the posts moved in all the way in), can be very drainy on the outlanes. Now in saying this, I enjoy all 4 titles.

#78 7 years ago

Data East Star Trek.... sometimes the subway popper just drains straight down the center.

#79 7 years ago

machines ive owned... Ghostbusters. The Shadow

machines ive played on location... AC/DC (and the tilt was set so sensitive if you leaned on the damn thing it tilted!!)

have an F-14, and can save the yakov kicker everytime on the left flipper!!

p.s. did I mention I sold my damn ghostbusters? F that machine!! LOL

#80 7 years ago

My Taxi sends the ball straight between the flippers all the time. It happens so fast and there is just enough space that neither flipper can hit it.

#81 7 years ago

I always thought ACDC was brutal, especially from the cannon.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You don't get house balls on most modern games. Pretty much every game in the DMD era allows for a certain level of control from the initial plunge or has a ball saver to safeguard against a very fast drain. If you miss a shot and it drains, that's not cheap, it's just hard.

True. But GB is one of the "other" modern games. Not only are many shots hard, and you're severely punished if you miss, but there really is no way of progressing without taking risky shots. (Im still on 1.05)

Left loop shot, essential in many modes, feeds in to the pops and from there it's a lottery - left exit can often result in a cheap SDTM, right exit also, or into the slings.

Left captive ball is very important, but super risky with almost no way to guarantee where the ball will end up.

Scoleri Bros - you could try to avoid them all together, but they are often awarded from pop awards or Tobins.

Gozer shot into the pops - again risky exit.

And then you've got the Ghost target.

I like the difficulty as it keeps me coming back for more punishment until that one perfect game (combined with lots of luck) when you blow it up. That's why I'm still on 1.05 - because its hard. But I do feel cheated sometimes on GB (and sometimes TWD, but less so). Almost every other game when I drain I can look at the stupid or poorly judged shot I made and think "I deserved that". My GB on the other hand is lucky its still in one piece.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I always thought ACDC was brutal, especially from the cannon.

Yeah! I was thinking of this thread in terms of STDM, but man, the thrill of hitting a huge jackpot followed by the agony of bouncing straight over to the outlane.

#84 7 years ago

I didn't really know what cheap BS drains were until GB. All other games mentioned I would just call punishing. GB is full of cheap, BS drains as mentioned in the title.

#85 7 years ago

Road Kings right outlane....gobbles everything up

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Playing WD first 2 balls were decent but on the third ball instant SDTM off the pops, ball save annnnnd guess what happens?? SDTM off the pops. Wanted to flip the machine over lol, which titles have the same kinda cheap BS drains as WD??

Thats why I sold it to you Randy
I'm sure I would have smashed the glass by now,lol

Maybe you need a RZ instead.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess you could call these cheap drains, as I only paid $600 for it.

LOL... brutal.

#88 7 years ago

A full plunge on some poorly tuned white waters will send the ball straight up, around behind Bigfoot, down the spine chiller ramp, and down the drain. Every time.

Luckily, the game will give your ball back to you since you didn't score a point, but damn, it's funny to watch someone lose 4/5 balls in 2 seconds that way.

#89 7 years ago

AC/DC on location is pure savagery!

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I didn't really know what cheap BS drains were until GB. All other games mentioned I would just call punishing. GB is full of cheap, BS drains as mentioned in the title.

Haaaaa you're totally on the money with GB, waaaay better with the center post. Crazy thing is that I've GB right next to WD lol

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Thats why I sold it to you Randy
I'm sure I would have smashed the glass by now,lol
Maybe you need a RZ instead.

I'd love to get that SC off you guys, had a lotta fun playing that.

#92 7 years ago

AC/DC Pro was the worst I ever owned. Perfectly hit your shot and get rewarded with a SDTM (Bell shot). It's the reason I sold it.

GB is pretty bad. I hear TWD a lot but so far I've had decent luck playing that one.

I'm glad I don't see a lot of IM. It's a brutal game but it punishes you for missed shots.....no cheap drains (love that game).

#93 7 years ago

So I'm interpreting your title "BS Drains" are games that might be drainy in a more sneaky fashion as opposed to something like GB that's just designed to be evil.

Metallica's left outlane comes to mind. The right outlane/inlane area on skateball is goofy on some machines. The worst offender of all to me is future spa. Even with the gate open where you have 3 of the 4 lanes on the left that are safe, the ball still finds a way to find that one lane that'll drain you.

#94 7 years ago

A bit of a forgotten title here, but Space Station is downright evil at times. The pops are a required interface and although most of the time they're generous enough to rack points, multipliers and rollovers... OTOH they can (and do) rocket the ball directly to that wide right outlane, or STDM, in a nanosecond. Add that to the lack of inlanes, with brutal punishment for missed shots, and you have a recipe for some infuriating rounds.

Even PAPA's video of this game perfectly captures this: Ball one deceptively blows up, while 2 and 3 are essentially scratched.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

The Dark Knight's clunky ramp that often will send shots not sent all the way up right down the middle. That's one that annoyed me enough to sell it.

I hear what you mean, happens to me on that game too. But I put that drain on me, not the game. If you don't hit a smooth ramp shot, it's not the game's fault. That's just bad shot making.

#96 7 years ago

When "The Power" is on in TAF, give up all hope. It can take a perfectly good ball and shove it out of reach.

Surprised no one mentioned this.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Ever play Spy Hunter? Hahaha. Well, technically it hits the unobstructed outlane off the pop a little more than SDTM.

I have that game and can attest to the fact that it seems to be a cheap drain when the ball comes out of the weapons van, hits the pop bumper and drains out the left outlane immediately. I still keep the game around for because of that odd layout, however.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I'd love to get that SC off you guys, had a lotta fun playing that.

Yea we are liking that one right now to.
IM was horrible for drains down the middle to.
Totally agree with GB having brutal drains.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

When "The Power" is on in TAF, give up all hope. It can take a perfectly good ball and shove it out of reach.

At the same time, it can take a ball that's going straight down the middle, and whip it over to one of your flippers!

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Quoted from Rarehero:

At the same time, it can take a ball that's going straight down the middle, and whip it over to one of your flippers!

It's a love, hate relationship for sure. One of my favorite features.

Has anybody mentioned GB yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-titles-for-bs-cheap-drains/page/2?hl=sugarhillabe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.