8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinballslave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1232866408-owmygenitals.jpg

#1 8 years ago

With all the desired/best theme posts, i started thinking about what some of the worst themes that could be made into a pinball. Below are a few I came up with.

Sports – curling, cricket
    Vehicles – Geo Metro or Yugo, Unicycle racing/rally
    TV/Movies – The Bodyguard, Glen or Glenda (was thinking Plan Nine originally, but that could actually work), Infomercial Classics
    Music – Baroque or New Age Classics, Zamfir, anything with bagpipes (and I actually like bagpipes)
    Culture/Society – Serial killers, Hello Kitty (please don't tell me there is one), Hanging Chads
    Science/Nature – Fungi, Physics

#2 8 years ago

I agree with 99% of that, except physics .... if you were talented enough to be a PB designer and be heavily into physics, that would be one hell of a machine. you could get the ball to roll against gravity, pass it's inertia on to another ball, an object in motion tends to stay in motion bonus!, have skill shots set up where if you bank it just right it hit's 5 separate targets in a row all over the table ...

pinball IS physics ..... but the math it would take to make a table based on it would kill a man.... lol well me anyways.

Another bad idea for pinball table themes, any sitcom from 1995 onwards. Anything by tyler perry, ....

#3 8 years ago

Absolutely agree with you about the need for physics to make a table. in fact i used pinball as an example for my son as to fun reasons one would want to know math. Now, if one could get a Mystery Spot sort of behavior in a pinball, that would be very cool application of physics. But that doesn't mean I want to see the formulas used as back glass or pf art.

#4 8 years ago

Sports as a theme in general has consistently led to unpopular pins... I can't think of any pin based on common sports that's considered a "really good" pin.

Infomercials? That could actually work, if you did it as a parody...

Ball saver: "But wait! There's more!"
    "Has this ever happened to you?"
    "Order now!" hurryup
    "This multiball can be YOURS for three easy payments..." Lock lit
    "Order today, and we'll throw in an extra ball absolutely free!"
    Oooh! And the bonus could work in the "shipping and handling" scam... Count up the bonus, then subtract current S&H that eats up most of the bonus (unless you've gotten awards to lower the shipping fee - somewhere there'd have to be a "Free shipping" award )

Physics pinball would be good, but probably expensive table to make if you wanted to have fun with the theme.

#5 8 years ago

No way! An Ed Wood pinball machine would be awesome. It could be all black and white with that crappy Octopus from Bride of the Monster as a topper. The Amazing Criswell could be the narrator. The possibilities are endless

#6 8 years ago

Any pin based on the latest blockbuster movie with a few notable exceptions (TAF being one of them).

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

Infomercials? That could actually work, if you did it as a parody...

Ball saver: "But wait! There's more!"
    "Has this ever happened to you?"
    "Order now!" hurryup
    "This multiball can be YOURS for three easy payments..." Lock lit
    "Order today, and we'll throw in an extra ball absolutely free!"
    Oooh! And the bonus could work in the "shipping and handling" scam... Count up the bonus, then subtract current S&H that eats up most of the bonus (unless you've gotten awards to lower the shipping fee - somewhere there'd have to be a "Free shipping" award [] )

As awful as it sounds, I really like the idea. A tribute to Billy Mays Pinball...haha.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

Anything by tyler perry, ....

I decided against including anything in the way of a general "Chick Flick" theme as I could actually see a satirical design around that (warming up to satirical infomercial theme as well now). That being said, no matter how good the design, it'd still be critiqued as "tired plot", "a predictable and schmaltzy play" - largely the same as reviews of the associated chick flick cinema content.

#9 8 years ago

How about Tony Little for backglass

1232866408-owmygenitals.jpg

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

How about Tony Little for backglass

HAHAHA AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 8 years ago

I will no doubt regret this statement but, as fruity-goofy as tony little is, I would kill for his arms!

#12 8 years ago

How can you possibly put Curling and Cricket in the same sentence.
    Try facing an 8 ounce cricket ball, being bowled at you at 160 kilometres an hour, where you have .4 of a second to make a decision.
    The only reason cricket has not been used as a theme, is that the USA do not play or understand the game.

#13 8 years ago

Richard Simmons " Work it Out"

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Leigh:

How can you possibly put Curling and Cricket in the same sentence.
    Try facing an 8 ounce cricket ball, being bowled at you at 160 kilometres an hour, where you have .4 of a second to make a decision.
    The only reason cricket has not been used as a theme, is that the USA do not play or understand the game.

I here 'ya, mate!

Damn Yank!

#17 8 years ago

How about movie themes with crappy photoshop art, Nascar and Poker. The shit that Stern pumps out to the all the time!!!!

#18 8 years ago

Some bad ideas sound almost good. The Newlywed Game, offensive stereotypes, Taxes (Hit 1040EZ target for multi-ball!)....wait no those are all terrible ideas.

#19 8 years ago

I think any theme could be made to work, even a bad theme.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

No way! An Ed Wood pinball machine would be awesome.

I would definitely ask Jpop for that one! Have Tim Burton do the artwork in a heavy line style...
    Where's my Angora?
    I need a moment alone!

#22 8 years ago

Potatoes would be quite a bad theme I think... or buttons... not sure what's worse!

#23 8 years ago

Sally Jesse Raphael

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Potatoes would be quite a bad theme I think... or buttons... not sure what's worse!

I'm thinking there's some old 50's wood rail with a button theme - along with a hayride and butter churning theme.

#25 8 years ago

And there was the 'bus stop', now that's a theme to re-visit!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 85.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 209.99
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 64.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside