(Topic ID: 157898)

Worst Playfield to Backglass Combination...

By maffewl

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Shastings
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TAG_SAMPLE_(resized).jpg
    image-5_(resized).jpg
    image-45_(resized).jpg
    image-36_(resized).jpg
    b1a987c2e9f0bf9f33e5819f1f4e651059a4406d_(resized).jpg
    image-8_(1)_(resized).jpg
    image-2_(resized).jpg
    GL_Regular_(resized).png
    GL_Proto_(resized).jpg
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    aghhhh_(resized).jpg
    1987_GOTTLIEB_SPRING_BREAK_PINBALL_MACHINE_NICE_PIN_03_vot_(resized).jpg
    sb_lowerpfield_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm parting out a Gottlieb Spring Break and find myself loving the art on the playfield. It's so 80s cheesy, but so awesome and well done. However, the backglass "art" is terrible. While I was tearing the playfield down, I started wondering, what is the worst playfield to backglass (or cabinet if you prefer) art combination? Gottlieb Spring Break has to be up there.

sb_lowerpfield_(resized).jpg
    1987_GOTTLIEB_SPRING_BREAK_PINBALL_MACHINE_NICE_PIN_03_vot_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=996

Gottlieb Genesis

I don't really care too much for the photographic backglasses that Gottlieb produced for a while. They all seem out of place with the rest of the game artwork.

#3 3 years ago

Doesn't Future Spa begin and end this conversation?

#4 3 years ago

This BG to any playfield. Given the other MET backglasses, no idea why this was even considered.

aghhhh_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=996
    Gottlieb Genesis
    I don't really care too much for the photographic backglasses that Gottlieb produced for a while. They all seem out of place with the rest of the game artwork.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

#6 3 years ago

Exactly whish is the worst is up for debate...I mean it's obviously going to be a Gottleib/Premiere...hard to doubt that.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=17

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Exactly whish is the worst is up for debate...I mean it's obviously going to be a Gottleib/Premiere...hard to doubt that.
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=17

Well, course, then there's this masterpiece that someone just posted about a few days ago:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5573&picno=45104

#8 3 years ago

Grand Lizard has great playfield art. The BG and plastics are a cheesy mess my comparison

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, course, then there's this masterpiece that someone just posted about a few days ago:

That is beautiful!

#10 3 years ago

I recall seeing a pinball machine where two separate people worked on the art, one person did the backglass art, the other did the playfield art. It didn't look bad necessarily, but it had two completely different art styles that were pretty conflicting. Assuming I wasn't dreaming this up, can anyone think of a game like this? I'm having a massive brain fart.

#11 3 years ago

Torpedo alley
    Hardbody
    Bad girls.

Genesis artwork has actually grown on me.
    It reminds me of a low budget science fiction movie. (Or very sick adult film)

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Torpedo alley
    Hardbody
    Bad girls.

Might as well add "Raven" and Diamond Lady to the list. That manlady always gave me the jibblies.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I recall seeing a pinball machine where two separate people worked on the art, one person did the backglass art, the other did the playfield art. It didn't look bad necessarily, but it had two completely different art styles that were pretty conflicting. Assuming I wasn't dreaming this up, can anyone think of a game like this? I'm having a massive brain fart.

Bally Fore comes to mind. Dave Christensen did the playfield, backglass artist is unknown.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Bally Fore comes to mind. Dave Christensen did the playfield, backglass artist is unknown.

Technically Grand Lizard mentioned above, luckily we at least have the original backglass

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That doesn't bother me...obviously it's the Time Fantasy guy right?

#17 3 years ago

Bally Dolly Parton.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I recall seeing a pinball machine where two separate people worked on the art, one person did the backglass art, the other did the playfield art.

This is actually pretty common on WPC games.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Getaway,on the backglass the car has a super charger on it and the guy in the car has brown hair and a beard.On the playfield the car has no super charger and the guy in the car has blonde hair and is clean shaven.Makes you wonder if the two artists even saw each others work.

#21 3 years ago

Future Spa had two different artists like you mentioned. Man, Damn near any late 80s Gottleib fits this bill. If they would have just had an artist paint the car, chicks and Don Johnson look alike on Hollywood Heat, the game would be a classic. Instead we have a fun game which looks like a$$.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Future Spa had two different artists like you mentioned. Man, Damn near any late 80s Gottleib fits this bill. If they would have just had an artist paint the car, chicks and Don Johnson look alike on Hollywood Heat, the game would be a classic. Instead we have a fun game which looks like a$$.

Well, there are some alt translites out there that feature a very hot girl and a better car, same with Raven.. I have alt translites on 3 of my games, Shadow, Flintstones and LAH.. If I had any of those Gottliebs I would def replace those in a heartbeat.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Grand Lizard has great playfield art. The BG and plastics are a cheesy mess my comparison

I agree. The playfield and backglass do not mix. The prototype glass is much better.

But that Metallica one, with Lars pulling off his toupee is pretty bad.

GL_Proto_(resized).jpg
    GL_Regular_(resized).png

#24 3 years ago

Vote for Stern Dracula....Backglass is lacking, but I like the playfield art.

image-2_(resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago

Williams Flash. I just thought the backglass was terrible until I saw the playfield and plastics. Where does Rocky Dennis come from???????

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from williams:

Doesn't Future Spa begin and end this conversation?

Future Spa takes a lot of sh!t but nothing about the artwork is bad, the pf and bg styles just don't match. It's still Dave Christensen and Paul Faris artwork, after all, can't go wrong with that.

#27 3 years ago

Notable mention for The Shadow.

Nice Art Deco style playfield and errr..................

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Nice Art Deco style playfield and errr..................

Blame the movie studio for that one.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

If I had any of those Gottliebs I would def replace those in a heartbeat.

I have been looking. Best one I saw was a one-off painting in the same style as the playfield for the Heat.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I have been looking. Best one I saw was a one-off painting in the same style as the playfield for the Heat.

Yeah my buddies Hollywood heat has this backglass. 1 of a kind.

b1a987c2e9f0bf9f33e5819f1f4e651059a4406d_(resized).jpg

#31 3 years ago

Yup, that's it. Very nicely done.

#32 3 years ago

Seal, sent you a PM

#33 3 years ago

Flash looks like a middle school art project.

It sure did not sell 20,000 units for it's artwork

image-36_(resized).jpg

image-45_(resized).jpg

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pretty much all the 70's to mid 80's Williams art is abysmal. Like, I am genuinely stumped how it was considered professionally done.

#35 3 years ago

And what's up with that weird "opening" in the artwork between the third and fourth player displays?

#36 3 years ago

Love the back glass art on Jokerz , but not crazy about the playfield. The Joker is borderline creepy and the Queen is playing cards with Santa Claus.
    The Shadow was another until I got Aurich's alternate. That problem is solved.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

And what's up with that weird "opening" in the artwork between the third and fourth player displays?

It's the Red Sea parting so the Jews can make their escape into the promised land.

#38 3 years ago

Ahh, makes perfect sense. I always thought it was the bridge to Olympus but never could figure out what the red stuff was. I always thought he was Zeus.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fixie:

Love the back glass art on Jokerz , but not crazy about the playfield. The Joker is borderline creepy and the Queen is playing cards with Santa Claus.

Every one of those Williams with the clown between the flippers is horrifying

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Vote for Stern Dracula....Backglass is lacking, but I like the playfield art.
    image-2_(resized).jpg

What's wrong with a balding Dracula in a powder blue leisure suit? You forgot to include the cabinet for the trifecta.

image-5_(resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mamushka:

You forgot to include the cabinet for the trifecta.

image-5_(resized).jpg

The cab art is actually the best art on the game.

2 weeks later
    #43 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is one of those for sale near me and I just can't get past its art.

#44 3 years ago

Don't forget Raven, great playfield ugly ass backglass!

1 month later
    #45 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Grand Lizard? Maybe Gottlieb Circus?

#46 2 years ago

I see Hollywood Heat has been mentioned, but this is the one that came to mind first. Nice playfield art package, backglass is completely out of place.

1 month later
    #47 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That sling plastic kinda looks like a "Halloween"-era Jamie Lee Curtis with a missing front tooth.

#48 2 years ago

Can we extend the competition to worst side art?

TAG_SAMPLE_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 149.00
    $ 11.95
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 21.00
    $ 229.99
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 14.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside