(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

What design decision makes you shake your head?
    Mine is the magnet in front of the barn on Walking Dead. On most games I've played it drops the ball SDTM and only a vigorous shake might save it. That this happens without a multiball start/ball save is a coding decision, but the magnet itself is a real head-shaker as designed. Why punish a player for a successful shot?

Pressing both flippers allows you to fight the prison zombie there and control the magnet (similar to Battling the Power on TZ)...properly timed flips can get one or two hits on the zombie with the magnet and stop a SDTM throw...sit idle, and the zombie can attack you with the SDTM attempt.

It's a good feature IMO, not a flaw.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I don't think it is necessarily coded into the game. When the SDTM from the magnet conversation comes up there are a few people that believe hitting the flippers changes how the magnet reacts and moves the ball in different directions. People have also said rotating the magnet changes the direction the ball will be thrown to eliminate the SDTM. When I owned the game I tried them all and sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I really liked the game, but there were 2 or 3 things that frustrated me so much (3 drop targets on the left that wouldn't always go down when hit) I had to get rid of it before I took a sledge hammer to it.

FWIW, on my game, it's nearly a 100% success (to shoot the zombie) on the crowbar/Borg scene IF timed after the second crowbar strike, with a delay of the same time between the 1st and 2nd strike (as if making a phantom 3rd strike with the timing cue given from the first two). And a poorly timed flip can cause it to drop SDTM instead as well.

If lucky on the return, a second strike can be made, or at times this will wrap it around to make the Riot shot.

Makes sense other games may be a bit different, and tournament games often have the magnet off, but I've experienced it on more than just mine, so perhaps skewed personal results to the whole, but the flippers will definitely control the magnet to help against a SDTM, and seem to react differently, in a predictable manner based on timing.

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I just tested this for an hour and have determined it to be false. The only thing the flippers do is release the ball early. It pulses the magnet after release without regard to flipper input. It will basically clear the animation and release the ball early.

Works consistently on my game, and seems confirmed by another above, so there must be some way to set it up for it to happen if not working (someone noted that perhaps the magnet is in a different orientation).

If you spent an hour, I imagine it isn't inaccurate timing on yours if you never got it to work, but as noted, it's nearly a 100% success on mine when timed on the count of 3 with 1 and 2 being the first two crowbar hits during the Borg scene (equal time between 2 and 3 as 1 and 2 [too early, and it will often drop as you say on mine]). Can get up to two strong hits on the zombie, enough to trigger the switch.

It's a fun feature, so it would be a shame if it's not working more universally in the same fashion for others.

Could find time to take a video if interested.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I tried multiple timings. I also tried it on the first and second prison multi ball. I didn't look in the settings. During the animation the ball will release with a flipper press and then the magnet pulses a fraction of a second after release every time. I've got a premium on code 1.60.
    What code release are you using? I'd like to see a video.

Premium with 1.56 (had too much custom audio to want to switch without doing it all again [some uniquely mixed tracks as well for tension]).

I'll see if Marissa has time to hold a camera after work today.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I tried multiple timings. I also tried it on the first and second prison multi ball. I didn't look in the settings. During the animation the ball will release with a flipper press and then the magnet pulses a fraction of a second after release every time. I've got a premium on code 1.60.
    What code release are you using? I'd like to see a video.

Made two quick attempts. Missed a double strike, but got a strong hit on both tries.

The second clip was taken with the screen in view for a better judge of the timing I'm using.

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The timing of the flipper press on the videos I posted were identical at times and you can see from those you’ll still get SDTM every once in a while. And mine almost never flings the ball up the playfield.
    Just have to get lucky on this game imo.

Sounds like that's the case, and as noted in my 2nd thread post, I was entirely willing to accept that other games are different--that my perception could be based on skewed personal results. Never knew anyone was having a different experience, and having done it on more than one TWD, I had no reason to question it.

Wonder if there's anything about the way my magnet is positioned that's making the difference. Very predictable response on mine, and strong throw (EDIT: Seems answered below).

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Iron Maiden's cross field plunge that also loads balls for Trooper is extremely dependent on how the game is setup. Thought I remember hearing Keith said he'd never design another ball launch like that again.

Drove me crazy when I first got the game, and no setup change could fix it...but given enough time to break-in and settle down, the shot becomes perfect...until it gets waxed, starting the cycle over again. So I just don't clean the game the same as others to avoid the issue returning for so long.

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Do you let the ball roll backwards for a second so the magnet grabs it and flings it back forwards?

While I see that happening in the video, it's not something I've paid attention to...always just going off the muscle memory/timing after the video/audio cue.

And it's just one tap of the flippers to get the result shown.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Mine does this as well but the flipper button press has no impact. The magnet pulses after release regardless if I press the flippers or not. Pressing the flippers just cancels the animation and then it pulses the magnet in the same timing.
    I thought you meant that you could literally pulse the magnet multiple times using the flippers like the power on TZ.

On mine, you can indeed pulse the magnet multiple times like on TZ, but it's just one more shot on the return, and requires more luck to pull off--not performed in the video, but it's possible two get two hits total that way (or have the second attempt wrap around into the Riot shot).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.