(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 1 year ago

Weird to read all the comments with regard to SDTM after not making it up a ramp.. As far as I'm concerned this is a staple of good pinball design, assuming the flipper power is in good order, and the ball is not getting caught up etc.

This is even articulated somewhat in many classics examples.. to mind atm, EATPM (.. "oh yeah.. OH noooo").. or Demolition man.. "Oh Sh!t, no!".. lol. 100% the SDTM risk is intentional, and not a poor design.

Most comments might also be just adjustment issues. I've played TWD where the magnet drops it SDTM.. it sucks for sure.. but I know it's an adjustment, as I've played them where it does not behave this way. Exact same scenario with MET / Sparky.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

Sounds exactly like the Dialed In scoop shot. Game flowed like butter except for that one stupid shot.

Seems like a lot of owners have the PF level metal protector. This is the problem.. I have played one where it was adjusted and the metal protector removed and it plays great. Such a key shot, so for sure when it isn't working, it's one of the most frustrating experiences.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I was not impressed with Houdini.

Yeah, it never made sense to me until I played it at a friends where they basically explained everything as I was playing. Started to make sense and become fun.. but now I'm sure I've forgotten everything. lol.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus I can never get a straight story on this one. Last time it was "factory shipped the flippers to low hanging which casued the extra gap issue."
    Anyway, I never thought that was the games biggest issue.

Yeah.. there is a big difference between releasing guides to adjust things / providing a new part to customers, and actually admitting that a product has a specific design flaw.

Only thing to happen with these flippers is something actually different to the default italian bottom stern template... Nope.. people complained so back to the usual.

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I just tested this for an hour and have determined it to be false. The only thing the flippers do is release the ball early. It pulses the magnet after release without regard to flipper input. It will basically clear the animation and release the ball early.

LOL.. He got you.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

For me, good game design is making sure the game isn't so incredibly set-up dependent (within reason).

I was going to be contrary to begin with, but on consideration this is an excellent point. I see it all the time in written game reviews.. people think a game is whatever.. but their review is based on a single machine, set up either really well or really poor, and I'm not talking about level, I mean, thought actually put into the player calibur, the difficulty of outlanes, the tilt sensitivity, angle of incline and so forth.. but sometimes as you say, the design can work in either case.. it may not be optimal, but people come away loving it.. so maybe something to be said for that.

#233 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its way different than firepower. The Scolari bros are half the distance to the flippers than the targets in firepower, the flippers are like half as strong in firepower as well, so the ball is moving like twice as slow giving and going twice as far giving you infinity more years to react than what you get in Ghostbusters then you add in the gargantuan flipper gap on top of it its not even a comparison. Thats not even mentioning how if it doesn't go stdm it can easily catch an airball (one of many places) and fly right over the top of the flippers or the lane guides. Garbage design and well documented problem. Scolari bros isn't the only place on the game that causes this to happen either. It can hop over the lanes with ease just from a normal ball coming at them.
    Not liking the theme? Who tf doesn't like GB as a theme? Its probably the best theme ever in pinball. The fact they made such a horrible game around the best theme is one of the biggest travesties of all.

[EDIT] Sorry, misread your post saying firepowers flippers are half as powerful.. lol.. thought you were saying GB flippers were half. [/EDIT]

Anyway, carry-on.

Wha? Sys6 Flippers are pretty sluggish even for that era. 24v or something? If you played a Ghostbusters where the flippers felt even remotely close to that, then that Ghostbusters definitely had issues.

Not trying to trash on Firepower, one of my favourite classics.. just trying to figure out where half the power comment would be coming from.

#236 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Not trashing Firepower, its just part of playing the game! You learn right quick which bank needs to be hit with witch flipper or die a lot!

Yeah, what would become a staple function of all SR titles after as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.