(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

For me some of the worst playfield design decisions are crappy ball launches. For how meticulous Steve Ritchie is about having great shooting layouts with perfect feeling shots, I can't for the life of me figure out why he designed the Star Wars and Led Zepp ball launches the way he did. Just gross. I would say a generic ball launch into the movable lit lane is almost as bad, but at least many of those have a super skill shot option, and they do not put you in instant danger of launch/drain/launch/drain/repeat.
    I also agree with the comment about generic pop nests just for the sake of having pops. If all they do is bounce around in there and then dribble out 1 or maybe 2 small openings, why have them? Pops are meant to cause chaos. Stop hiding them. Heck, a game like Stranger Things you can't even see them. What a waste of space and money.

Totally agree. The very first thing you do in pinball is launch the ball. Bad launch can ruin the whole game. I like how Congo made plunging into the outlane a super skill shot.

I don't get the love for Stranger Things. You can't see half the playfield behind the ramps with stickers and giant billboard right in your face.

#219 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Fish Tales - an impossible shot for extra ball or the Casters Club
    Both of those are standard shots . I usually lock a ball from a plunge and like jaybird says , the easiest way to get extra ball is to backhand it from the left flipper .
    The most dangerous shot is The Captive ball , but they're not gonna make it easy to give you the good stuff like video mode , Rock the Boat or Super Jackpots .
    Fishtales is a brilliant , hard , fast game which keeps you coming back for more .
    That's why I've had it for 22 years and counting , and it's not leaving .

I think you mean backhand from right flipper which is what I do. Easy shot. Whitewater has the most difficult extra ball shot that I can think of. Almost guaranteed to drain if you shoot for it on purpose.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.