(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

That game is an absolute pile of dogshit. People buy it and love it only because of the theme. Most people figure out that they even screwed that part up... some never see it. It's the modern BTTF pinball.

Sounds like the Pro and Prem are different playing games.

Have a GBPro and the only bitch I have about it is the point blank drop targets. They are a bitch to get down without draining so you have to take your shots with great care.

No different than the Firepower I had here for several weeks frankly. Use the wrong flipper to take out one of the six standups and you ARE GOING TO DRAIN no questions asked. So why the hate for one but not the other?

Flipper gap.. please! Have you seen the flipper gap on some 60's EMs? GB is a walk in the park in comparison.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I also agree with the comment about generic pop nests just for the sake of having pops. If all they do is bounce around in there and then dribble out 1 or maybe 2 small openings, why have them? Pops are meant to cause chaos. Stop hiding them. Heck, a game like Stranger Things you can't even see them. What a waste of space and money.

Amusing that people complain about the pops in Ghostbusters when on Trek there is only one exit.

Down to the right upper flipper, shoot the warp ramp.

#201 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Ghostbusters is the only modern-ish Stern I actively and strongly dislike because of the playfield design. And even only counting since its release, that's a lot of games.

Frankly I'm surprised for the hate for the game, obviously a lot of people love it.

I have one and not a particularly skilled player, enjoy playing it time to time and it doesn't make me feel like I just got punched in the face like Black Hole does.

Black Hole is just brutal, I still have not broken the default high score of 780,000.

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I saw a picture of the ST whitewood and it looked like there was also an exit to the left. I wish it had been left that way, but maybe it didn't play as well?
    Rob

Pretty sure that is where the Black Hole switch is, which I always thought was oddly placed. Too many SDTM drains? At any rate I don't mind the design, fun game in my lineup.

#214 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah but Black Hole is actually super fun unlike ghostbusters which is the opposite of fun

I'm 180 on that opinion.

Black Hole is an exercise in frustration at times, when you actually get multi-ball it feels like an accomplishment.

#218 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

It would have to be placing the outkick hole hidden underneath plastic 6 inches from the flipper like Halloween.
    Hey look up at the screen to figure out whats going on after it went into a scoop, Surprise, your ball just went down the drain! Whah whah whah.

Halloween does have a flashing lamp under the plastic to let you know where the ball is coming out.

I actually like the stealthy nature, fits the theme.

#223 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Some people don't like how the ball can drain from the lower playfield on Black Hole, while I think that's an excellent feature.
    Different strokes for different folks

Reentry attempt FAILED

#224 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Because it’s larger than the gap created by lightning flippers.

Compared to some 60s EM... ha.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

For me, "modern" would be Halloween most likely. Shots frustrate me. Second would be JJP GnR. No matter how many times I play this game it just never feels like it has flow and isn't that fun. Its a good game for sure, but it has many faults that make me not want to play it. Lastly, no matter how many times I play it I simply cannot have fun on Stranger Things. Love the show/theme, but I just walk past the pin every time.

See I take the view there is something for everyone. GnR isn't for me, other people love it.

Some guys like blonds, other brunettes. Neither one is bad.

'cept my ex, she was a lunatic.

#231 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

For me it was the flipper gap + preposterous airballs + somehow-worse-than-Borg Borging double left inlanes + not registering/dropping Scolari targets.
    Many games have cheap/unfair drains. This game collects them like stamps.
    Throw in repetitive rules and callouts, and without even considering the infamy of the designer you get the worst Stern since Indiana Jones (in my opinion, of course).

I'm just not seeing it.

SDTM off the drops are no worse or worse then making the wrong shot at the center targets on Firepower.

Perhaps you just have not played a "good one" or don't like the theme. Pro does play different than Prem so is that a factor? Can't say.

#234 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its way different than firepower. The Scolari bros are half the distance to the flippers than the targets in firepower, the flippers are like half as strong in firepower as well, so the ball is moving like twice as slow giving and going twice as far giving you infinity more years to react than what you get in Ghostbusters then you add in the gargantuan flipper gap on top of it its not even a comparison.

If you use the wrong flipper in Firepower at the center L/R targets you are going SDTM.

No ifs, ands or buts.

How is that any different than Ghostbusters? You shoot the drop targets taking care not to smack them face on, simple as that.

If I can pick off the ORBS drops in order playing Centaur, making an edge shot off the GB drops is very doable and doesn't require some magical skill. Because frankly I have none!

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Not trying to trash on Firepower, one of my favourite classics.. just trying to figure out where half the power comment would be coming from.

Not trashing Firepower, its just part of playing the game! You learn right quick which bank needs to be hit with which flipper or die a lot!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.