(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Just talked to a top 200 player who regularly competes on WD and didn't know this.

No way. Haha. Also, when the magnet gets to a certain point, nothing but physical adjustment will fix it.

#158 1 year ago

Here’s a test of ten tries before and after magnet adjustment and using no flip cancel and using flip cancel. Nothing is full proof. I’ve had success on other games, not this one. 1.60 code.

Before adjustment no flip

Before adjustment flip cancel

After adjustment no flip

After adjustment flip cancel (magnet stopped working during this test) haha

#159 1 year ago

It honestly depends more on where the ball decides to rest on the magnet for what path it typically takes.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

For me, good game design is making sure the game isn't so incredibly set-up dependent (within reason).

Agree 100% after having to deal with my STH LE. Games always need tweaks, but not like that haha. Nothing feeds well out of the box.

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Made two quick attempts. Missed a double strike, but got a strong hit on both tries.
    The second clip was taken with the screen in view for a better judge of the timing I'm using.

The timing of the flipper press on the videos I posted were identical at times and you can see from those you’ll still get SDTM every once in a while. And mine almost never flings the ball up the playfield. The flipper cancel helps, but nothing is full proof. The SDTM is coming at some point. Just like the well walker magnet fling to outlane unless you have them closed off and Chester posts in.

Just have to get lucky on this game imo.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Sounds like that's the case, and as noted in my 2nd thread post, I was entirely willing to accept that other games are different --that my perception could be based on skewed personal results. Never knew anyone was having a different experience, and having done it on more than one TWD, I had no reason to question it.

I thought I found the solution with turning the magnet slightly (Borg suggestion), when it worked on two different games I worked on. But then it didn’t work on my LE and I’ve just thrown my hands up on this and turn the magnet off in comp.

#212 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I get the point you're saying but the fact you can hit all those shots with the upper Flipper makes it useful .
    It's a lot easier to go for the drop target that is down to kill Smaug than it is with the lower flippers .

It sets up the Smaug kill. That’s enough for the flipper to be worth it. That moment is incredible.

#220 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Why is the flipper Gap such a big deal on Ghostbusters but is not on games with lightning flippers ?

Because it’s larger than the gap created by lightning flippers.

1 week later
    #250 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Indy500 lock shot is poorly designed. It is so frustrating to set up that shot, and have it brick over and over, even after making adjustments to it. Then again, when a lock is successfully made, it feels like a major accomplishment.

I’ve played plenty of examples where it plugs it every time. Definitely a setup issue.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.