(Topic ID: 321818)

Worst playfield design decision in modern pinball?

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220912_220546 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    elmo-shrug.gif
    29D6501D-AEB9-4D67-AD11-9CDDD0442059 (resized).jpeg
    There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Works consistently on my game, and seems confirmed by another above, so there must be some way to set it up for it to happen if not working (someone noted that perhaps the magnet is in a different orientation).
    If you spent an hour, I imagine it isn't inaccurate timing on yours if you never got it to work, but as noted, it's nearly a 100% success on mine when timed on the count of 3 with 1 and 2 being the first two crowbar hits during the Borg scene (equal time between 2 and 3 as 1 and 2 [too early, and it will often drop as you say on mine]). Can get up to two strong hits on the zombie, enough to trigger the switch.
    It's a fun feature, so it would be a shame if it's not working more universally in the same fashion for others.
    Could find time to take a video if interested.

I tried multiple timings. I also tried it on the first and second prison multi ball. I didn't look in the settings. During the animation the ball will release with a flipper press and then the magnet pulses a fraction of a second after release every time. I've got a premium on code 1.60.

What code release are you using? I'd like to see a video.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Just talked to a top 200 player who regularly competes on WD and didn't know this.

No way. Haha. Also, when the magnet gets to a certain point, nothing but physical adjustment will fix it.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I tried multiple timings. I also tried it on the first and second prison multi ball. I didn't look in the settings. During the animation the ball will release with a flipper press and then the magnet pulses a fraction of a second after release every time. I've got a premium on code 1.60.

Premium with 1.56 (had too much custom audio to want to switch without doing it all again [some uniquely mixed tracks as well for tension]).

I'll see if Marissa has time to hold a camera after work today.

#154 1 year ago

I've played a lot of TWD on quite a few different machines. I never found the magic magnet control to be anything but a placebo. Yes, sometimes flipping at the right time will result in a tiny pulse that will change the ball trajectory ever so slightly when released. Also not flipping will sometimes result in the same pulse. And sometimes flipping will result in no pulse happening. I honestly find it to be more of an "old wives tale" than anything. That said, I'm certainly not calling Medisinyl a liar and would love to see video of actually being able to control it enough to consistently hit the prison zombie, much less multiple times. Enough people claim it to be true that it seems like there has to be something there, but I haven't seen it in any consistent, controllable way.

I will say that if the machine is set up and leveled well, the number of SDTM releases from the prison magnet is really not that bad. This "issue" is one of those things that are grossly exaggerated. Sure, it can happen, but really not that often. Same with the feed from the pops. Most of the cheap drains can be tweaked out, just like any other game. It's frustrating when it happens though!

#155 1 year ago

For me some of the worst playfield design decisions are crappy ball launches. For how meticulous Steve Ritchie is about having great shooting layouts with perfect feeling shots, I can't for the life of me figure out why he designed the Star Wars and Led Zepp ball launches the way he did. Just gross. I would say a generic ball launch into the movable lit lane is almost as bad, but at least many of those have a super skill shot option, and they do not put you in instant danger of launch/drain/launch/drain/repeat.

I also agree with the comment about generic pop nests just for the sake of having pops. If all they do is bounce around in there and then dribble out 1 or maybe 2 small openings, why have them? Pops are meant to cause chaos. Stop hiding them. Heck, a game like Stranger Things you can't even see them. What a waste of space and money.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I also agree with the comment about generic pop nests just for the sake of having pops. If all they do is bounce around in there and then dribble out 1 or maybe 2 small openings, why have them? Pops are meant to cause chaos. Stop hiding them. Heck, a game like Stranger Things you can't even see them. What a waste of space and money.

Amusing that people complain about the pops in Ghostbusters when on Trek there is only one exit.

Down to the right upper flipper, shoot the warp ramp.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

And sometimes flipping will result in no pulse happening.

You have to flip at the right time. It will pulse 100% of the time, and in my experience (owning a TWD and playing a bunch on location) it will make an SDTM drain less likely. And it helps the odds enough that you should do it. And the magnet shouldn't be pulsing without you flipping unless it's sensing that the ball is stuck on the magnet.

#158 1 year ago

Here’s a test of ten tries before and after magnet adjustment and using no flip cancel and using flip cancel. Nothing is full proof. I’ve had success on other games, not this one. 1.60 code.

Before adjustment no flip

Before adjustment flip cancel

After adjustment no flip

After adjustment flip cancel (magnet stopped working during this test) haha

#159 1 year ago

It honestly depends more on where the ball decides to rest on the magnet for what path it typically takes.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

For me some of the worst playfield design decisions are crappy ball launches. For how meticulous Steve Ritchie is about having great shooting layouts with perfect feeling shots, I can't for the life of me figure out why he designed the Star Wars and Led Zepp ball launches the way he did. Just gross. I would say a generic ball launch into the movable lit lane is almost as bad, but at least many of those have a super skill shot option, and they do not put you in instant danger of launch/drain/launch/drain/repeat.

Totally agree. The very first thing you do in pinball is launch the ball. Bad launch can ruin the whole game. I like how Congo made plunging into the outlane a super skill shot.

I don't get the love for Stranger Things. You can't see half the playfield behind the ramps with stickers and giant billboard right in your face.

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Totally agree with you on this. Stranger Things (Pro) is another offender -- bashing straight into a wall of targets and losing control just never feels like a satisfying way to start a ball. I actually enjoy beating the auto-plunge for ball saves / playfield validation, but that still feels like a side-effect of bad design rather than a conscious choice.

#162 1 year ago

I’d be interested to see that. I have very little issues with stdm from the mag but had also never heard of this trick

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I’d be interested to see that. I have very little issues with stdm from the mag but had also never heard of this trick

In the many games ibmve played it probably throws it sdtm 1 out of 20 times

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In the many games ibmve played it probably throws it sdtm 1 out of 20 times

On 2 different local WDs on location around here it happens 75-90% of the time, maybe less if you nudge it hard.

#165 1 year ago

I feel like if the point was to prevent SDTM from the magnet then Lyman would have just coded a temporary ball save instead of hiding some complex rules for the user controlling the magnet. Also more people would be aware of it and surely it'd be in the patch notes if it was added later.

The magnet throwing it down the center occasionally seems an accepted part of the design. It's supposed to be a hard game and Borg designs a lot of his games with magnet features placed by risk/reward areas

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

On 2 different local WDs on location around here it happens 75-90% of the time, maybe less if you nudge it hard.

I feel like that game set up is everything...so I wonder if that helps? We all remember at the beginning everyone complained it was STDM out of pops 80% of the time as well.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I feel like that game set up is everything...so I wonder if that helps? We all remember at the beginning everyone complained it was STDM out of pops 80% of the time as well.

For me, good game design is making sure the game isn't so incredibly set-up dependent (within reason).

#168 1 year ago

If I was designing a pin that is intended to swallow money, I'd try and make every shot lead to SDTM. Play better!

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

For me, good game design is making sure the game isn't so incredibly set-up dependent (within reason).

This is great point. Guardians and Godzilla on location can play really bad if they are slightly out of level or not adjusted correctly. I also wish code would auto update.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I was going to be contrary to begin with, but on consideration this is an excellent point. I see it all the time in written game reviews.. people think a game is whatever.. but their review is based on a single machine, set up either really well or really poor, and I'm not talking about level, I mean, thought actually put into the player calibur, the difficulty of outlanes, the tilt sensitivity, angle of incline and so forth.. but sometimes as you say, the design can work in either case.. it may not be optimal, but people come away loving it.. so maybe something to be said for that.

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Meh I get what you're saying, but I also think people have no idea how to troubleshoot; Agreed within reason.

Like the Sim Card Shot. Flipper power up it bounces off the back and won't go in, to low and you can't make the side ramp. Maybe take a rubber off the post to help? I mean that is truly shitty.

#172 1 year ago

There are definitely games that are very particular about how to be setup or they don't work as intended. Halloween/Ultraman jumps to mind in terms of needing just the right pitch and minimal cross slope, otherwise there are subway issues and the butt pretzel is just butt.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Agree 100% after having to deal with my STH LE. Games always need tweaks, but not like that haha. Nothing feeds well out of the box.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Made two quick attempts. Missed a double strike, but got a strong hit on both tries.

The second clip was taken with the screen in view for a better judge of the timing I'm using.

#175 1 year ago

Iron Maiden's cross field plunge that also loads balls for Trooper is extremely dependent on how the game is setup. Thought I remember hearing Keith said he'd never design another ball launch like that again.

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Made two quick attempts. Missed a double strike, but got a strong hit on both tries.
    The second clip was taken with the screen in view for a better judge of the timing I'm using.

The timing of the flipper press on the videos I posted were identical at times and you can see from those you’ll still get SDTM every once in a while. And mine almost never flings the ball up the playfield. The flipper cancel helps, but nothing is full proof. The SDTM is coming at some point. Just like the well walker magnet fling to outlane unless you have them closed off and Chester posts in.

Just have to get lucky on this game imo.

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

I've owned TWD for many years and have never heard of this....thanks for the headsup.

Ditto, lol. "Hangs head in shame"

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The timing of the flipper press on the videos I posted were identical at times and you can see from those you’ll still get SDTM every once in a while. And mine almost never flings the ball up the playfield.
    Just have to get lucky on this game imo.

Sounds like that's the case, and as noted in my 2nd thread post, I was entirely willing to accept that other games are different--that my perception could be based on skewed personal results. Never knew anyone was having a different experience, and having done it on more than one TWD, I had no reason to question it.

Wonder if there's anything about the way my magnet is positioned that's making the difference. Very predictable response on mine, and strong throw (EDIT: Seems answered below).

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Sounds like that's the case, and as noted in my 2nd thread post, I was entirely willing to accept that other games are different --that my perception could be based on skewed personal results. Never knew anyone was having a different experience, and having done it on more than one TWD, I had no reason to question it.

I thought I found the solution with turning the magnet slightly (Borg suggestion), when it worked on two different games I worked on. But then it didn’t work on my LE and I’ve just thrown my hands up on this and turn the magnet off in comp.

#180 1 year ago

One game I think about in terms of good playfield design is Attack From Mars.

The big risk/reward shots here are the middle target bank, and the drop behind it. You know that shooting for that can be dangerous, but I don't think the level of danger is very set-up dependent. On the other hand, orbits generally return to flippers, lock qualify shot is ramp>flipper, lock shot is VUK>ramp>flipper, return from destroying the saucer is vuk>ramp>flipper. In general, other than the big center shot, if you make your shots you're not punished, if you miss them you might well be punished. That is good design.

I think a lot due to cost cutting, too many modern games have a much higher percentage of successful shots with the potential to punish you (see: magnet hold>SDTM on the barn on WD). I've often wondered why the barn wasn't a scoop>VUK>ramp, and I have to guess cost.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Iron Maiden's cross field plunge that also loads balls for Trooper is extremely dependent on how the game is setup. Thought I remember hearing Keith said he'd never design another ball launch like that again.

Drove me crazy when I first got the game, and no setup change could fix it...but given enough time to break-in and settle down, the shot becomes perfect...until it gets waxed, starting the cycle over again. So I just don't clean the game the same as others to avoid the issue returning for so long.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Do you let the ball roll backwards for a second so the magnet grabs it and flings it back forwards?

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Wow...that blows my mind. Thanks for taking the time to post. Cool stuff. Yours must be a unicorn because I've never seen another one that has a fraction of your fling strength, much less consistently.

Quoted from astro_judge:

Totally agree with you on this. Stranger Things (Pro) is another offender -- bashing straight into a wall of targets and losing control just never feels like a satisfying way to start a ball. I actually enjoy beating the auto-plunge for ball saves / playfield validation, but that still feels like a side-effect of bad design rather than a conscious choice.

I have to disagree on Stranger Things for two reasons...one being the drops make it much more safe of a shot, and more importantly that you can plunge lighter to go for the super skill shot into the saucer. I actually find that perfect plunge arcing it into that saucer to be one of the most satisfying skill shots ever. I rarely if ever let it go to the drops. And I've never been able to hit an MXV skill shot (into the drops and bounce directly into the saucer).

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Mine does this as well but the flipper button press has no impact. The magnet pulses after release regardless if I press the flippers or not. Pressing the flippers just cancels the animation and then it pulses the magnet in the same timing.

I thought you meant that you could literally pulse the magnet multiple times using the flippers like the power on TZ.

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Do you let the ball roll backwards for a second so the magnet grabs it and flings it back forwards?

While I see that happening in the video, it's not something I've paid attention to...always just going off the muscle memory/timing after the video/audio cue.

And it's just one tap of the flippers to get the result shown.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Mine does this as well but the flipper button press has no impact. The magnet pulses after release regardless if I press the flippers or not. Pressing the flippers just cancels the animation and then it pulses the magnet in the same timing.
    I thought you meant that you could literally pulse the magnet multiple times using the flippers like the power on TZ.

On mine, you can indeed pulse the magnet multiple times like on TZ, but it's just one more shot on the return, and requires more luck to pull off--not performed in the video, but it's possible two get two hits total that way (or have the second attempt wrap around into the Riot shot).

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I have to disagree on Stranger Things for two reasons...one being the drops make it much more safe of a shot, and more importantly that you can plunge lighter to go for the super skill shot into the saucer. I actually find that perfect plunge arcing it into that saucer to be one of the most satisfying skill shots ever. I rarely if ever let it go to the drops. And I've never been able to hit an MXV skill shot (into the drops and bounce directly into the saucer).

All very good points -- short-plunging to the right flipper and shooting the saucer a few times is practically the only way I dodge strikes at league night. Should probably trying plunging the saucer and going for the MVX too! The rest of the game has really grown on me the last few months.

#188 1 year ago

Beatles....after waiting decades for my dream theme, I got this...what a letdown.

#189 1 year ago

Oh and Big Buck Hunter....accckkkk!

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from astro_judge:

All very good points -- short-plunging to the right flipper and shooting the saucer a few times is practically the only way I dodge strikes at league night. Should probably trying plunging the saucer and going for the MVX too! The rest of the game has really grown on me the last few months.

Yeah...in competition it's a much better idea to plunge to the flipper and then shoot the saucer. But at home playing for fun, I'm always trying to arc it in. Such a good feeling! Glad the game has grown on you. It surprised me too...I expected it to be relatively short term in my collection, but it quickly turned into a favorite. Fun layout, great ruleset with the perfect progression (no matter what your skill level, there is always an obtainable "wizard mode" for you), and you get to jump shoot a ball into a demogorgan's freaking mouth! That's good stuff. There are a few places that I think the playfield could have been improved (the dead end right orbit especially), but nothing that I truly hate.

#191 1 year ago

Beatles is an amazing playfield design and ruleset. Sea Witch but better (and they added an option to play OG Sea With rules which is supper cool)

Though I can see why a Beatles fan may not like it.

Beatles one of my favorite Spike 2 games though. It's such a fantastic tournament game.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from troon47:

Oh and Big Buck Hunter....accckkkk!

Big Buck Hunter is a great game IMO.

#193 1 year ago

Ghostbusters is the only modern-ish Stern I actively and strongly dislike because of the playfield design. And even only counting since its release, that's a lot of games.

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from troon47:

Beatles....after waiting decades for my dream theme, I got this...what a letdown.

Feel bad for you. I love the Beatles, and the game exceeded my expectations.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

(and they added an option to play OG Sea With rules which is supper cool)

Can this be done via the flippers or is it a setting?

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

Can this be done via the flippers or is it a setting?

Hold in the flippers before starting a game, like other Sterns. Not sure if it has to be enabled

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

One game I think about in terms of good playfield design is Attack From Mars.
    The big risk/reward shots here are the middle target bank, and the drop behind it.

This is AFM's big secret: The saucer is off-center. By less than an inch, but it makes all the critical difference, so that rebounds out of that area go to the right flipper far more often than SDTM.

AFM's big problem tends to be when the Stroke of Luck scoop is badly adjusted and fires SDTM, though of course any competent operator will fix that.

#198 1 year ago

Beatles was a dream theme for my wife but she absolutely hated the era they went with in the art.

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Beatles was a dream theme for my wife but she absolutely hated the era they went with in the art.

Lunchbox

#200 1 year ago

Re-using the troll pop-up from Hobbit for Gabby-Gabby in Toy Stoy 4. The ultimate lazy gesture to get a single toy in a 12-15k game. Doesn't even really work with the story, one of the ventriloquist dummies woulda made way more sense.

There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-playfield-design-decision-in-modern-pinball/page/4?hl=troon47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.