THIS! (resized).jpg
image-11 (resized).jpg
69e98bdf9d3a34b3bcd6128630fb45d0b9822627 (resized).png
rust2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
2A6CAD0C-FE46-425E-8535-8FE978C39121 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 1 year ago

Phantom of the Opera. Shameless cash-grab that tried to ride the coattails of the Andrew Lloyd Weber muscial. Has none of the music or anything else. Total bait and switch. Awful game with shallow rules and a PG-13 art package.

#101 1 year ago
Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

You do know that the Phantom of the Opera wasn't just a broadway show right? It was a book from 1909. The broadway show came out in 1986, the pinball machine 1990. 4 years later feels a bit late to ride coattails. By your logic, Andrew Lloyd Webber was just making a shameless cash-grab himself. I'd say it was an adaptation of the story itself, not a rip off of the musical.

Of course. And yes, Data East’s POTO was a shameless cash grab and ripoff of the name recognition of the musical. 100% without the success of the musical, Data East wouldn’t have touched this title.

The Phantom’s mask from the ALW production was unique and iconic; the pinball ripped this off verbatim in the art package. They also ripped off a Sarah Brightman lookalike for Christine in the art package, down to the long curly hair. What they didn’t rip off was the music. They didn’t have the rights. POTO was in the public domain, hence the cash grab. ALW’s music was copyrighted, hence no pinball use. I lived this era of Broadway. POTO was THE major broadway draw in 1990 (in which it was the top-grossing show), shortly followed by Miss Saigon (in NY) in 1991. Unlike movies, must-see Broadway productions remain top draws and sold out for years (Rent, Book of Mormon, Hamilton).

POTO was a truly awful pinball. I owned it. Worst playing game ever in my collection.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The movie "My Fair Lady" becomes Mayfair, Gigi was a homage to Marilyn Monroe who loved clowns, Gold Wings = Top Gun, Deadly Weapon = Lethal Weapon, Bone Busters = Ghostbusters, Lights...Camera...Action! = Dirty Harry, Hollywood Heat = Miami Vice, etc, etc.

None of those titles implied they had assets from the underlying IP. POTO did. When I had this stinker in my collection, every single person who played it asked, “Where’s the music?”. It had the exact same title, and used art clearly referencing the musical. IMHO, that was misleading, beyond the level of the faux-titles mentioned above.

BTW, I would *love* a true ALW POTO Pin. Lot’s to work with here, most especially the music. Just enough to fill a great, modern-day mode-based game.

2 weeks later
#197 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

It's trendy in pinball to trash Gottlieb. Have a podcast, if you say you like Williams/Bally and sit on on your rear and trash Gottlieb, it is instant popularity.

My biggest complaint with Gottlieb were the flipper mechs. Way too much travel. They created an enormous valley when held; you could trap anything at almost any speed. And they were basically on or off. Very hard to get subtle post passes, etc.

That said, Stargate was a true sleeper. The best Gottlieb game of the 90s and a great treatment of the theme. It deserves a better rating than the ~120 it has here. Top 100 for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinballs-ever?tu=DiabloRush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.