• 253 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Alamo_Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the lamest pinball theme of late?”

• WOZ- Classic movie from the 30s that our grandparents watched and some of us enjoyed as kids but what does that have to do with anything now? 90 votes
    19%
  • WOF- So bad the makers of this game never bothered to finish it. 77 votes
    16%
  • Rolling Stones and Kiss- Some of the other grandpa rock pins get a pass because of gameplay and rules, but WTF were they thinking here? 36 votes
    8%
  • Hobbit- Talk about beating a dead horse. 8 votes
    2%
  • WWE- Yeah, wrestling was big..... in the 80s. 171 votes
    36%
  • CSI, 24, Walking Dead- To late to care about any of these TV shows. 28 votes
    6%
  • Ghostbusters- Really? 12 votes
    3%
  • Hardbodies- That would suck as much as the rest of these. 48 votes
    10%

(470 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
sassy2_(resized).jpg
images_(resized).jpeg
maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
Slim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpg
drstrangelove_(resized).jpg
dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
simmons-sports-rainbow-fringe_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

After the Hardbodies speculation thread got sent to basement because somebody didn't like the theme, it got me thinking that there have been worse themes in pinball lately. In fact most of them. So lets put together a list of the crappiest themes of the last ten years and then a poll will be added and you can vote for the bottom of the barrel.

#30 8 years ago

Poll has been added.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Hardbodies is by far the worst theme of all-time.

I would beg to differ. Did you ever see the movie? I'll watch that before most of the turd themed movies they have turned into pinball machines lately.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

To even compare a one-star "B" flick like Hardbodies to an iconic Academy Award winning classic like The Wizard of OZ is laughable.

We are talking about themes for modern pinball here, not Oscars from the 30s.

#73 8 years ago

I guess a lot of us are in agreement that most of these themes suck and some going back even further.

#77 8 years ago

How did I miss Alien? Just what we need, a movie from the Carter era.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

While the pin may or may not be great it's certainly an iconic theme.

So was Gone With The Wind, but you don't see too many begging for that in a pinball theme.

#82 8 years ago

I'm just surprised Hobbit hasn't got any votes yet. I guess I should have included the option to vote for as many as you like.

#85 8 years ago

Some of these themes make J-Pop look like a genius.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Really?

I think The Hobbit is a classic theme for pinball.

Wasn't LOTR the same thing? It's an old story now. Some it seems can't get enough though. But to me, it's beating a dead horse.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

There's quite a few bad or poorly themed games out there...always have been.

I agree. Even in the EM era. At one time I thought Fashion Show was a lame theme, but the game turns out to be a real beauty. Imagine if there was a Victoria's Secret pinball machine today.

Quoted from Flake:

I guess that means Creech is a horribly themed game because it's a movie from 1954 and not even an oscar winner.

No way! It is a drive-in theme that came out when not many retro themes were out there. And one of the best movies ever. It fit because it was unique in it's time. But now that we are inundated with retro licensed themes each new one that comes out seems lamer than the last IMO.

#96 8 years ago

For some reason this thread just doesn't seem right without rarehero.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I can't think of ONE sports themed game that's interesting.

Big Hurt was as good as they come as far as DMDs were concerned so what does that tell you? Although I do enjoy motorsport themed games as you can do something with that.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

IMO Rolling Stones and Kiss are two very different themes. I don't care about the age and gender. One is a rock band, that's it. The other has characters.

IMO the Rolling Stones were more iconic than Kiss could ever hope to be and the quality of music they put out especially in the early days was way above what Kiss ever did. And characters they were! But it is not 1970 anymore, and grandfather rock has been beat into the ground in pinball so both themes for today suck.

#105 8 years ago

And yeah, I woke up with a little bit of an attitude today. Every time I come up with what I think might be a good pinball theme, it goes straight to the basement, while this garbage is already out there and others dream themes permeate this forum. I guess 50 years of playing pinball doesn't count for much.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Methinks it's time to deactivate the account again O-Din and enjoy some of the simpler things in life...

You know, I really ended up wishing you had brought Hardbody over last night.

3 months later
#210 7 years ago

Well pretty much every licensed theme from the last ten years sucks, and pinball has gone to hell in a hand basket.

#214 7 years ago

Woah Nellie is about the only redeeming thing in pinball over the last ten years.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

imagine if Stern said the new machine was aboot fishing...

Careful... here come those Jaws guys.

Pinball themes might be a whole lot better if pinside was taken out of the equation altogether.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

You got that right Ben Taco.

Shouldn't you be driving south? Bringing some of that San Francisco treat with ya?

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

BTW: Here's the most recent comment about me on Rate My Teacher:

5 Easiness
5 Helpfulness
5 Clarity
5 Knowledge
5 Textbook Use
5 Exam Difficulty
May 03, 2015
This guy has a pinball machine collection. Enough said.

Wow that's pretty cool. I'm sure those running pinside are giving me similar ratings.

2 months later
#224 7 years ago

Wish I could update the poll. Rumor has it Aerosmith is coming....

#227 7 years ago

I personally think Dominos and Pabst are superior themes to some of the other spoon fed crap they are dishing out as of late.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You have to admit, $6400 for the Pabst machine that is a glorified EM is wayyyy too expensive

$6400 is way too much for any pinball machine, but it has nothing in common with an EM besides being a pinball machine.

This thread is not about that. It's about recent pinball themes that suck, and in 2016 Pabst is a more relevant and palatable theme than either Ghostbusters or Hobbit among others to say the least.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

The next Stern to come out. Currently Ghostbusters, until they release the next one...............

You've got to wonder when even the most hardcore, living in the past, 80s nostalgia nerd won't buy them anymore.

#236 7 years ago

I'll play WNBJM wherever I can find one, but it is indeed too much money for a game that is not an EM. Meaning a new out of the box EM. They cut too many corners eliminating bells, gobble hole, etc. The score reels even seem fake. The original proto might have been an EM, but this certainly isn't.

For me Ripley's is the kind of out of the box theme of recent years that suits me, so the one I let go will be returning this weekend. Maybe this time to stay. Unless they come up with something better....

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

non-original themed machines have always been a huge turn-off for me

Agree. There really isn't much original about pinball now. To me it's all pasteurized, processed American cheese food product. I prefer real cheddar. For those like us that want something creative in pinball, you mostly have to look to the past. And I'm not talking about for the next licensed theme either. It's been game over for a while now. Kaput.

1 year later
#242 6 years ago

If I could rewrite the poll, we would sure have a lot more contenders now.

Bump!

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Lemme say Congo... A fabulous PF layout to a shitty theme...

Yeah, but that doesn't fall into the last ten years category.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Ah ok! I didn't bother reading the thread statements after that new bump.

Yeah, just look at all the lousy themes from last year that make Congo look like a gem.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dialed In is one of the worst themes in pinball history much less the last 10 yrs.

Do you own Aerosmith?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-theme-of-the-last-ten-years?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.